Main Color setting and CMS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Main Color setting and CMS

I've read from multiple (misc) sources that if your set has CMS controls just center the color level control in the main settings and leave it alone.

But on two different Panasonics (VT-50 plasma and TC-L55WT60 led), various settings seem to affect the the lower saturation levels.

I've been using it to get red 25% and 50% saturation levels (to line up on my chart anyway). I have to go back and forth adjusting the CMS red and the color setting since they affect each other.

Do I not understand something? Is it just looking useful on chart, but in reality causing some other problem?

As far as how it looks, it seems to be correct on the plasma, but on the LCD it takes the color up to 56 which does subjectively appear too saturated when viewing content. But if I show saturation levels and targets on the CIE chart they fit just right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
..to be clear, after setting the main color control and using saturation patterns to get the lower saturations adjusted, I then do standard calibration on hue, saturation, and luminance at standard 100% (or 75%) full saturation.

It's those two procedures that I go back and forth, ensuring that the standard calibration is the last one I do.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The color control does different things, make sure you're using APL patterns to just saturation changes. There may be some optimal setting that is a click better or worse for an average error improvement. But the improvement is pretty small compared to the time to test all the combinations.

That said if it's your set at home, feel free to tweak until you feel like you squeezed every bit of perfomance.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
The color control does different things, make sure you're using APL patterns to just saturation changes.
Can you explain why this is necessary?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Can you explain why this is necessary?
Because desaturated colors can be different luminance levels depending on your pattern generator. With a plasma changing the APL circuit could start imposing itself as that happens effecting the RGB ratios slightly altering the saturation.

Just a variable to eliminate if you want to evaluate the color control's effect independently.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sotti..do you recommend apl patterns for calibrating wb, gamma and CMS for a plasma? Or just cms?
While Mr. Chen studied the behaviour of apl vs normal ones in his great article, that was on Samsung plasma and I think some older Panasonic model, but newer Panasonic plasmas seem to have bigger differences in this matter. Thanks!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page