Is there any way to set gamma on a HDTV without equipment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Is there any way to set gamma on a HDTV without equipment?

I was wondering if there is any online test pattern or a calibration disc to help in calibrating the gamma setting on a HDTV set. I have read that it is impossible to calibrate gamma by eye, and that it should be left at 0 on a Samsung TV if no equipment is being used.

My Samsung TV gamma ranges from -3 to 3. I do not know which value would make gamma to be closer to 2.2 level, but if I leave it at the default 0 value, the image looks a little too dark (in my opinion).
I have used the Disney's WOW calibration disc on a PS3, as well as AVS 709, and although they give me good contrast, brightness, and color, it seems that they don't provide any test image for gamma calibration without equipment. Which might mean that there could be no test images for gamma calibration (without equipment) at all.

I know I can't set gamma properly by eye, but for my set, +1 seems better than 0, and +2 seems to give the better details on blacks. However, if I set gamma at +2, the image sometimes seems washed out.

I have tested gamma my own way in different manners. For instance, one of them is by watching a HD Youtube video on a smartphone or PC while playing the exact same video on my TV using the PS3's Youtube application. When testing gamma this way, it seems that +2 is closer in color accuracy and image quality to the gamma level used by the smartphone or PC.

I can't get my TV professionally calibrated because this HDTV is old already, and I rather spend the $2xx calibration price later on if I buy a new HDTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
In principle, perhaps, although it may take a lot of work.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

That's hard to understand for me. I was looking for something like a test image to use on PS3, then adjust the gamma until something is visible on the screen (or something similar).
I have a LG HDTV and it has an option for gamma at 2.2. Maybe it is not EXACTLY 2.2, but I can be certain that that is a better option than trying to guess what is closer to 2.2 on my Samsung one.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Not sure, I'm sure there are probably some test patterns out there. Maybe best to just choose some reference material and use your eye as the judge. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition has test patterns for setting gamma.
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/portf...ern-help-text/ scroll down to "Equal Energy Gamma".
"Assuming this pattern is appropriate for your display and no scaling is being applied, use the left and right arrows on your remote to move forward and backward between the patterns until you find the one where the fine-grained lines and checkerboards appear to have the same brightness as the center square. The number visible on screen near the corner of the center square gives the gamma. You may find it easier on a front projector if you deliberately defocus your lens until the fine patterns turn into a blur (just for this check)."

Edit: this threads deals with Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition: Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition

Last edited by rickardl; 08-23-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added thread link
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My opinion would be to look at measurements that other people have made on their TVs to approximate a gamma number based on the setting. I am not at all familiar with your TV, but many LCD or plasma models will have a thread in the appropriate forum, and many Samsungs have been professionally reviewed with measurements. If you can find measurement data on a few TVs that are expected to be similar to the one you own, you may be able to make a reasonable guess about how the gamma setting works and the number you might get if you mesured your TV. I have followed a few Sony models, and in spite of some rhetoric from this forum, generally the Sony models have some consistency when people measure the same display model, so there it is possible to make an approximate guess at how gamma might measure based on the chosen setting. So my advice would basically be to see if reviewers or owners can give you more information about the gamma setting on your TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alluringreality; 08-23-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition has test patterns for setting gamma.
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/portf...ern-help-text/ scroll down to "Equal Energy Gamma".
"Assuming this pattern is appropriate for your display and no scaling is being applied, use the left and right arrows on your remote to move forward and backward between the patterns until you find the one where the fine-grained lines and checkerboards appear to have the same brightness as the center square. The number visible on screen near the corner of the center square gives the gamma. You may find it easier on a front projector if you deliberately defocus your lens until the fine patterns turn into a blur (just for this check)."

Edit: this threads deals with Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition: Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray 2nd Edition
There's a similar type of pattern on the old AVIA (SD/DVD) disk. It only works as a rough estimate, but if you're just trying to pick the "best" setting of the gamma control that may be all you need.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

The Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition looks like a good calibration disc to own. Their site calibration instructions show that they are trying to get gamma at 2.4 instead of 2.2. Is there a huge difference between them?

Thank you everyone for helping out
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSGamer View Post
Their site calibration instructions show that they are trying to get gamma at 2.4 instead of 2.2. Is there a huge difference between them?
Assuming the procedure moved you closer to 2.4 or 2.2, yes it's reasonable to expect to be able to notice a difference on displays showing those traits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page