How the hell am I supposed to calibrate like this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How the hell am I supposed to calibrate like this?

I have a PS51F5500 and whenever I enter the menu it alters the actual image colors - sort of like "dims" the display. Maybe the idea was so that people can "focus" on the menu text or something? I don't know... but it kinda makes changing the brightness/contrast/sharpness/temp/black levels/etc/etc impossible since I never get to see the *true picture* while I'm tweaking the settings.

Samsung, WTF were you thinking? How am I supposed to do this?

Here is a picture I made to illustrate my problem:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Like it or not, it's what many of us have had to do over the years: measure, go into the menu and make changes, exit the menu and measure again, etc., etc.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Yep, deal with it.

Last edited by James Freeman; 08-24-2014 at 03:45 AM.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Get out of the Standard mode.

Edit: While you're at it, turn Sharpness to 0 - the only correct setting with Samsung!

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Get out of the Standard mode.

Edit: While you're at it, turn Sharpness to 0 - the only correct setting with Samsung!
That's not my settings, it's actually just a comparison I created from a screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Like it or not, it's what many of us have had to do over the years: measure, go into the menu and make changes, exit the menu and measure again, etc., etc.
I don't really know how to calibrate/measure and stuff with special filters/tool/dvds and whatnot, I just want to see the actual image while i'm tweaking the brightness/color/contrast

Why the hell do Samsung do this?! If anyone from Samsung see this, Please get them to make a software patch!
post #6 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperza View Post
That's not my settings, it's actually just a comparison I created from a screenshot.

I don't really know how to calibrate/measure and stuff with special filters/tool/dvds and whatnot, I just want to see the actual image while i'm tweaking the brightness/color/contrast

Why the hell do Samsung do this?! If anyone from Samsung see this, Please get them to make a software patch!
The steady reduction in luminance usually happens with static images when in the Normal mode. Do you have all Eco items turned off?

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #7 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
The steady reduction in luminance usually happens with static images when in the Normal mode. Do you have all Eco items turned off?
No it's not anything like that, it happens every time you open the menu and actually want to change the brightness.
Happens in all modes, not just normal mode.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
something must be broke.
every TV I have seen goes to a small window at the bottom only showing the selected setting control
and the TV shows content normally.

Loving D65
post #9 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Even for displays that use only a small bar across the bottom of the screen there can be an impact to the test pattern. Especially for a plasma with ABL, I would only measure the test pattern with the adjustment menu closed.

Is that annoying? Yeah. But what would be the fun if calibration was easy?

Buzz, I think the decrease in luminance of static images is a completely different issue. Though of course it's yet another roadblock to the convenience of calibrating the display.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
something must be broke.
every TV I have seen goes to a small window at the bottom only showing the selected setting control
and the TV shows content normally.
Yes it does go to a small window when actually tweaking the brightness/etc.... but it still creates this "haze" or "filter" over the screen giving me an entirely different picture than when I finally exit that small window.

I've noticed it doesn't do this when watching normal TV, only when I enter the menu when playing a movie inside Plex.

The problem is in South Africa we only have 4 terrestrial channels, and the reception is bad... I basically only watch my content through Plex and would like to configure it there with 1080p content.

Maybe the Samsung Plex App is broken?

Last edited by Keeperza; 08-24-2014 at 12:39 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperza View Post
Yes it does go to a small window when actually tweaking the brightness/etc.... but it still creates this "haze" or "filter" over the screen giving me an entirely different picture than when I finally exit that small window.

I've noticed it doesn't do this when watching normal TV, only when I enter the menu when playing a movie inside Plex.

The problem is in South Africa we only have 4 terrestrial channels, and the reception is bad... I basically only watch my content through Plex and would like to configure it there with 1080p content.

Maybe the Samsung Plex App is broken?
I doubt the app is "broken". It may be switching the set into a Game, PC, or similar mode internally when starting up (I say "internally" because those modes are normally used with external inputs), and the menu/GUI is overlaid in another mode. It may have to be done that way to give you any kind of user control at all within the app.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #12 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
I doubt the app is "broken". It may be switching the set into a Game, PC, or similar mode internally when starting up (I say "internally" because those modes are normally used with external inputs), and the menu/GUI is overlaid in another mode. It may have to be done that way to give you any kind of user control at all within the app.
Well, It seems the Plex App was indeed broken, and the developer reports that he will fix the bug.
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...nter-settings/

Thanks for all the help!
post #13 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, Just put the test patterns on a usb stick or HHD and calibrate the internal player, there should be no dimming that way, btw, is the same internal player for apps, usb and dlna.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To make things easier for you:

Switch to Movie Mode (since it is more accurate). Hit picture reset. Keep Brightness around 50. Contrast around 100. Color and tint around 50. Sharpness around 0.

Set Screen adjustment to Screen Fit. Then turn off everything that has an off option (dynamic contrast, noise reduction, auto motion plus, etc.).

And Backlight is up to you. Us calibrators tend to set Samsungs around 6 or so for watching in dimly lit conditions.

*I would however recommend the AVS 709 HD disc or any other other good calibration disc for properly adjusting the above settings I mentioned since every TV is slightly different (even if they are the same model).
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page