Official calibration of the Vizio P series - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 317Likes

post #1951 of 1975 Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio M70-D3

I've been reading this forum for a while and am impressed with the expertise and willingness to help.
I just bought a new Vizio M70-D3....can someone help me with the picture set up? The "soap opera effect" is the biggest problem, but the content, especially Netflix 4K content, just doesn't look "true."
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1975 Old 06-25-2016, 06:27 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O'Mara View Post
I've been reading this forum for a while and am impressed with the expertise and willingness to help.
I just bought a new Vizio M70-D3....can someone help me with the picture set up? The "soap opera effect" is the biggest problem, but the content, especially Netflix 4K content, just doesn't look "true."
Thanks in advance.
You might want to post this in the 2016 P-series calibration thread, or you could create a new one for the 2016 M-series. In fact, you should post this in the main 2016 M thread over in the LCD section, since your question is not really calibration related. Anyway, the soap opera effect on the Vizios is controlled by "Reduce Judder" and "Reduce Motion Blur", depending on the source frame rate. I don't know if the 2016 M is any different from my 2015 M when it comes to motion control, but if you don't want any processing at all I would suggest you turn on "Game Low Latency" and call it a day. Alternatively, you could set RJ and RMB to zero. If you then find that there is too much ghosting/trailing/blurring in fast motion and pans, try a few different RJ/RMB combinations. At 3 and higher you should notice the SOE kicking in.
post #1953 of 1975 Old 08-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hate to bump this thread, my vizio p series has developed dark spots on the screen. almost looks like grey clouds. not dead pixels or anything. What are my options. I contacted vizio and they told me i was out of the factory warranty. Bought it from best buy with no extended warranty

post #1954 of 1975 Old 08-11-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked: 3994
Official calibration of the Vizio P series

If you don't have an extended warranty you are SOL and will have to pay for any repairs that may need to be done. You may want to try massaging the screen lightly with a microfiber cloth or doing a full factory reset to see if that helps at all. You could also see if Vizio would recommended a repair facility in your area.

Sent from nowhere
post #1955 of 1975 Old 10-19-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Sleepy thread. I am going to try some new settings as for some reason my picture has suddenly seemed to change. Wondering if the new firmware, 1.3.34-UHD, has changed something.

Anyway, I seem to remember that if I changed various parameters they were tied to Picture Mode or Color Temperature. My current settings use a custom name in Picture Mode and Normal for the Color Temp. The new settings I want to try also use Normal for Color Temp. So if I key them in how can I keep from destroying my current settings if I want to return to them?

Jack
post #1956 of 1975 Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I am going to try some new settings as for some reason my picture has suddenly seemed to change. Wondering if the new firmware, 1.3.34-UHD, has changed something.
Out of curiosity, did your color suddenly get oversaturated and maybe with a reddish cast?

I've got a p702ui-b3 with only slight color adjustment to get a neutral picture (nothing at all adjusted in the advanced calibration, and only modest tweaks to the other settings).

Then, for no apparent reason, some time in the last few days the picture abruptly changed quite a bit; it's now badly oversaturated, somewhat reddish, and looks like maybe the gamma has changed to a darker setting. This is on all inputs and with both the settings I had for OTA broadcast and the one I used for my AppleTV.

It's not "oh no, my TV's broken" level awful, but it's bad enough my wife immediately noticed and started complaining, so it's way beyond picky videophile level.

The firmware is currently v1.3.34-uhd, and since that's fairly new I'm suspicious that maybe the update completely hosed the calibration for some reason. If not, my TV's broken. Great. If so, I'm now stuck trying to figure out what the heck changed so I can get this thing back to looking half-decent again. Great.

Any luck with your settings?

Last edited by Makosuke; 10-26-2016 at 01:30 AM.
post #1957 of 1975 Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makosuke View Post
Out of curiosity, did your color suddenly get oversaturated and maybe with a reddish cast?

I've got a p702ui-b3 with only slight color adjustment to get a neutral picture (nothing at all adjusted in the advanced calibration, and only modest tweaks to the other settings).

Then, for no apparent reason, some time in the last few days the picture abruptly changed quite a bit; it's now badly oversaturated, somewhat reddish, and looks like maybe the gamma has changed to a darker setting. This is on all inputs and with both the settings I had for OTA broadcast and the one I used for my AppleTV.

It's not "oh no, my TV's broken" level awful, but it's bad enough my wife immediately noticed and started complaining, so it's way beyond picky videophile level.

The firmware is currently v1.3.34-uhd, and since that's fairly new I'm suspicious that maybe the update completely hosed the calibration for some reason. If not, my TV's broken. Great. If so, I'm now stuck trying to figure out what the heck changed so I can get this thing back to looking half-decent again. Great.

I'm still awaiting an answer on my question about which parameters are tied to Picture Mode or Color Temperature before I try the new settings.

The changes in the picture I noticed were similar to what you described. I noticed it while watching Bib Bang Theory. This sitcom has always had a very colorful picture and right after being updated to ...34UHD it had a slight sepia tone to it. Some eyes might see it as reddish I suspect. Also, some of my Fox News programs I watch regularly seemed to have some focus smearing in parts of the image and some loss of picture resolution and clarity. Since I posted, about a week now, things seem to be better. Bib Bang reruns are on every day so I will watch when it comes up and see if it's back to normal.

Jack
post #1958 of 1975 Old 10-26-2016, 02:01 PM

@JackB 11pt and CMS are tied to color temp. The remaining are "tied" to PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1959 of 1975 Old 10-26-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
@JackB 11pt and CMS are tied to color temp. The remaining are "tied" to PM.

Thank you for that. So my current 11pt and CMS use "Normal" color temp. It is saved as Custom 1. If I change the 11pt and CMS, keep the same "Normal" color temp, and name it Custom 2, Custom 1 will now use the new 11pt and CMS. Is that right. If so that's a bummer.

Jack
post #1960 of 1975 Old 10-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that. So my current 11pt and CMS use "Normal" color temp. It is saved as Custom 1. If I change the 11pt and CMS, keep the same "Normal" color temp, and name it Custom 2, Custom 1 will now use the new 11pt and CMS. Is that right. If so that's a bummer.

Correct.

post #1961 of 1975 Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makosuke View Post

This is exactly what happened to my p series 60! I came here to find out if anyone had the same problem and hopefully a solution.
post #1962 of 1975 Old 11-04-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noticed any change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
Alright, here are my latest re-do calibrations. 70 inch P, firmware 1.2.23. Copy settings at your own risk, results may not be generalizable to your display and viewing environment.

This set is not at all an easy set to calibrate but I think we have made some significant strides as a group. Shout out to Goober as I used his ALZ on method to calibrate, as I think the picture looks better this way. Calibration was done in calibrated mode as I am in a bright living room during the day and then dark at night, suboptimal. 8% 100 APL patterns in Calman through mobile forge from a FireTV.

A note about calibrating colors on this TV. If you have CalMan tutorial or basic, do not even bother trying. You absolutely must have the color saturation sweeps or you really have no idea what your changes are doing to the majority of your colors. I also am retracting my previous statement about contrast needing to be at 49. It must have been an artifact of calibration from last time.

Basic settings:

Backlight: Per your environment, 25-75
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 10

More Picture:

Color Temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 0-3 depending on your sensitivity to SOE. I have mine at 1.
Reduce Motion Blur: I have this at 10 without any noticeable SOE. I have not done any detailed testing you to see if its really doing anything to my non-30/60 FPS content.
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off/low
Reduce Block Noise: Off/low
Game Low Latency: On for gaming, Off for TV / movie watching.
Picture Size & Position: untouched / n/a
Film Mode: Auto / n/a
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.4

Color Calibration:

As above, do not attempt unless you are using Calman Control or higher or HCFR and have access to saturation sweeps. You likely will do more harm than good.

Here are the colors after greyscale but before color calibration. The little boxes are what the colors are supposed to look like, and the circles are what they actually are showing on the TV:

The entire focus on colors this time around was skin tones. I spent great care trying to dial in the low range of red with 5% sweeps, and overall kept dE (Delta E 2000) <3 until you get to 90+ when all bets are off anyway as this set is very inaccurate at 100% red as we all know. See my red chart below, you can see my error in the low range is outstanding. For the non-calibrators, what you are looking at is a 5% color saturation sweep, meaning a stepwise increase in the red color spectrum. dE is the overall error in the color (how far away from reference/what the color is supposed to look like). You want this as low as possible. My errors are <1 from 10%-40% in that sweet spot for skin tones, and otherwise stays pretty reasonable until it jumps the shark at the end. I am still not convinced they are perfect though unfortunately.

And here is the final color chart post-calibration. You have to make some concessions along the way, but overall color tracking is reasonable. Again, the the bottom middle of the graph is tracking the overall dE for each color point, represented by that color on the bar graph. We are pretty much <1 for most color points until you get to the 100% patterns.

Code:
              Red    Green   Blue   Cyan   Magenta   Yellow
 Hue             0      3      -1       -1       0         -3
 Saturation    -8     -9      -5       5       -4        -9
 Brightness    13      1      4       -1       2         0

Offset         1      2      1
 Gain           2      0     -22
11 Point White Balance:

As above, calibration was performed with ALZ on and the Goober workflow.

Here is my greyscale after 2 point white balance, which was done at 30% and 100%. You can see the artifact of the ALZ on the gamma curve. The yellow line represents our expected/desired curve and the grey is the measured:

Here is the greyscale after 11 point calibration:

Code:
     Red  Green  Blue
5      4    4    4  
10     27    24      23
20    24    18      14
30    18    18      15
40    3        4      0
50   -3     -11     -9
60   -16   -18     -20
70   -15   -16    -11
80     5       6     6
90     3      5      -3
100   3      0      4
edit: Changed the 5% values, work in progress.

As usual, these represent a work in progress and will continue to tweak as I watch more content. My wife however is convinced I am a crazy person Welcome any feedback/comments/questions.
Mavinwow,

Recently my P70 received an update, Version V1.3.34-UHD. Subsequent to the update myself and several others have noticed a change to the color ballance. All of a sudden the picture has very slight shift to a reddish or sepia tone. It's a little like changing from "Cool" to "Warm" on temp adjustment. It's not much but enough to disturb the fidelity of the picture, which thanks to you was very near perfect. A couple of questions:

1. Do you still have your P70 and do you see what I am seeing?
2. If so, are you going to make the adjustments and publish the changes?
3. If the answer to 1 & 2 is negative is there something simple we could try that might bring the balance back by getting rid of the reddish tone.?

Hope you can help.

Jack
post #1963 of 1975 Old 11-05-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Mavinwow,

Recently my P70 received an update, Version V1.3.34-UHD. Subsequent to the update myself and several others have noticed a change to the color ballance. All of a sudden the picture has very slight shift to a reddish or sepia tone. It's a little like changing from "Cool" to "Warm" on temp adjustment. It's not much but enough to disturb the fidelity of the picture, which thanks to you was very near perfect. A couple of questions:

1. Do you still have your P70 and do you see what I am seeing?
2. If so, are you going to make the adjustments and publish the changes?
3. If the answer to 1 & 2 is negative is there something simple we could try that might bring the balance back by getting rid of the reddish tone.?

Hope you can help.
Still have the 70. I almost pulled the trigger on the 2016 P series, but gonna wait until next season's sets. Can't say I have noticed any major changes with the latest firmware, but havnt done any critical watching,

Will try to look into it for you.

Samsung 55ES8000
Vizio 70 P Series, Calibration settings
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup
post #1964 of 1975 Old 11-05-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Still have the 70. I almost pulled the trigger on the 2016 P series, but gonna wait until next season's sets. Can't say I have noticed any major changes with the latest firmware, but havnt done any critical watching,

Will try to look into it for you.
Thanks for responding Mavinwow. It really would be helpful if you could think through your knowledge on color calibration and see if there is a simple way to move the color slightly off the new reddish tone. Could it be as simple as going to the color tuner and moving those colors that produce reddish (Red?, magenta?, yellow?), one or two clicks in the minus direction?

Jack
post #1965 of 1975 Old 11-05-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Thanks for responding Mavinwow. It really would be helpful if you could think through your knowledge on color calibration and see if there is a simple way to move the color slightly off the new reddish tone. Could it be as simple as going to the color tuner and moving those colors that produce reddish (Red?, magenta?, yellow?), one or two clicks in the minus direction?
My colors all still seem fine to me. Red tones were a real bear on this set, particularly skin tones.

Maybe try a factory reset and putting in my settings again?
rogerdiaz likes this.

Samsung 55ES8000
Vizio 70 P Series, Calibration settings
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup
post #1966 of 1975 Old 11-27-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trouble with apps

I have a p60 firmware 1.3.34 having trouble with the apps the only one that works is netflix try to use amazon app says the network is disconnected checked the network it is ok try to delete and reinstall will not let me do anything any ideas or has anyone else had problems with this
post #1967 of 1975 Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
My colors all still seem fine to me. Red tones were a real bear on this set, particularly skin tones.

Maybe try a factory reset and putting in my settings again?
Is it still recommended not to modify aka copy the "Color Tuner" settings from the Pros?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #1968 of 1975 Old 11-30-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Is it still recommended not to modify aka copy the "Color Tuner" settings from the Pros?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes, you "can", but I wouldnt recommend it as they tend to be more panel specific. If you try them, they are easily rest to factory "0" if you don't like the results.

post #1969 of 1975 Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Yes, you "can", but I wouldnt recommend it as they tend to be more panel specific. If you try them, they are easily rest to factory "0" if you don't like the results.

I would recommend it. I copied settings from about three different "pros" when I got my P70 shortly after it became available. Each one had a slightly different look but I found one that was just right. So I've been using that ever since and saved myself between $3 and $5 hundred bucks for a custom calibration. Ph8te's settings, if my memory is accurate, was one of those I tried. As he said, if they don't look good try another. if in the end, you aren't happy then I would spend the money as the difference is very dramatic.

Jack
post #1970 of 1975 Old 12-01-2016, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
what input do other forum members use for the PS Pro or Xbox One S with HDR?
post #1971 of 1975 Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Official calibration of the Vizio P series

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialSono View Post
what input do other forum members use for the PS Pro or Xbox One S with HDR?

Since this is the 2014 P series Calibration tread, HDR is a non factor.

For the 2016 P series of you want HDR your ONLY options are 1-4, HDMI 5 does not and will Never support HDR.

post #1972 of 1975 Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sorta of reviving this thread. Based on the last firmware, was there an update to two or three reference calibrations that were posted here several months back. I am sure many have moved onto new sets but hoping there was a final calibration based on the last firmware.

Thank you
post #1973 of 1975 Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I think Im just gonna request a $100 refund and keep the P502ui-B1E.

Stinks cause I really wanted the 120hz panel.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1 / Sony 50W700B LCD
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #1974 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
Sorta of reviving this thread. Based on the last firmware, was there an update to two or three reference calibrations that were posted here several months back. I am sure many have moved onto new sets but hoping there was a final calibration based on the last firmware.

Thank you
Yes I was hoping for the same as after the last update my skin tones are all over the map.
post #1975 of 1975 Old Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgn95 View Post
Yes I was hoping for the same as after the last update my skin tones are all over the map.
I use Mavinwow's settings and I do not see any change in the picture after the latest update.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page