AVS Forum banner

Different color calibration across Intel graphics?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dschlic1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have got a Samsung LED tv at home and I have hooked up different computers to it through out the years. One thing I noticed is that for every machine I have connected to the TV I always get a different color calibration (color tone or whatever you want to call it). All the machines are connected via either an HDIM or a DisplayPort cable and they are all using some sort of Intel graphic. I only Windows 7 across all the machines.

In theory, they are all using the Intel Graphic driver and I always use the default calibration setting; through a digital signal output I should expect a 100% identical color output right? After all, the digital color signal being transferred should be the same. Yet the fact is every machine has it's own characters of colour:

1. A Dell latitude E4300 with Intel 4500mhd over display port to hdmi cable - This gives the best color. Bright, vibrant and accurate. Easy on the eyes as well
2. An HP Pavilion DV5 with the same 4500mhd over hdmi to hdmi cable - Colors are bright and very close to Dell.
3. An Acer E3 notebook with GT520M/HD4000 graphic over hdmi - I disabled the GT520m and only use the iGPU yet the color was quite off. The blue has a strong purple tint and looks horrible. The white is also cover by grey tint
4. An Asrock Q1900b-itx board with Bay Trail J1900 - The hole screen has a tiny-slight gray tint to it and all the colors are a bit over-saturated. The red and green are also very bright.

Until this day I still have no idea what made this happen. Ideally, I would love to make everything look like the first Dell laptop. Could it be different version of the drivers? Or is it 'characteristic' of lower level firmware if there was such a thing (eg. BIOS or factory calibration etc)?

I am thinking of getting a Colorimeter to help with the cause but I am worried that might be just waste of money.

It would be great if you can shed some lights.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could you please explain in detail? What exactly is different? Color tone usually refers to color temperature so are you saying each setup calibrates to different settings (on tv) with same target (ie D65)? Or are you saying that all setups look different when viewing same content content and no changes to tv? .....Theres lots of ways to fudge a digital signal.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply nodixe. This is how I put it:

-All four machines uses Intel Graphics and I always use the latest driver from Intel
-I never change color temp, hue etc in Windows 7. All are under default settings
-I use the exact same HDMI port on the TV and the display profile on my TV statys the same
-YES to this 'Or are you saying that all setups look different when viewing same content content and no changes to tv?'

I wish I could take some photos to show you the color differences but I don't have a decent manual camera to lock the ISO. The color difference

I do notice that both Acer and Asrock have grayed out whites. Coincidentally they are both Chinese brands so would it be that they have a different calibration standards over there?

#9 ·
Unfortunately under Windows there are generally two ways to change or calibrate your monitor color. Most packaged colorimeters whether Spyder or X-rite out of the box will produce an icm file. This file is used by some Windows programs to correct the monitor color. However most programs do not use this, nor does Windows it self use it. The second method or ways is via the graphics card driver. You will probably have to do some digging to get at these settings. However these setting affect all programs and also the Windows OS also. They are applied across the board. In order to set these you will have to use a colorimeter and some third party software such as HCFR or Calman.

The only good way to color correct you system is to use a colorimeter or spectro.

#10 ·
Unfortunately under Windows there are generally two ways to change or calibrate your monitor color. Most packaged colorimeters whether Spyder or X-rite out of the box will produce an icm file. This file is used by some Windows programs to correct the monitor color. However most programs do not use this, nor does Windows it self use it. The second method or ways is via the graphics card driver. You will probably have to do some digging to get at these settings. However these setting affect all programs and also the Windows OS also. They are applied across the board. In order to set these you will have to use a colorimeter and some third party software such as HCFR or Calman.

The only good way to color correct you system is to use a colorimeter or spectro.
So let's say I purchase a colorimeter, would it give me the ability to save the calibration from the machine that I like as a schema/profile (or whatever you call it) then adjust the other machines to match this schema/profile?

#11 ·
The process is a bit more complex than that. First you need to calibrate the monitor/TV as best you can. For example using a DVD/BluRay player, use the AVCHD calibration disk, colorimeter and HCFR. Most computer monitors do not have very good or fine adjustments. TVs in this regard are much better.
Once you monitor(s) are as close to standard as you can get, use HCFR on your computer connected to the monitor and adjust the drivers to get as close as possible. You will probably have to do this for each monitor as all are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.