Calibrate my Pansonic Plasmas Right (i1 Display Pro) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calibrate my Pansonic Plasmas Right (i1 Display Pro)

I have two Panasonic TV's. One is the TC-P50S1, the other eludes me at the time but can figure it out if it becomes relevant. Newer than the P50S1.

So I bought an i1 Display Pro the other day and the included software seems to have a Plasma monitor option on it now. Never see anyone talking about this on the net, though the articles and walkthroughs are not to available from what I have seen in general in this space. Maybe my searching is poor.

Anyway, so I have a P50S1, and the i1 Display Pro. I can't afford to buy other calibration software and by the time I was done talking with Calman they had me up to like $300 to buy the right software to calibrate my screen and also my computer. Though with the computer sure what comes with the i1 is fine.

Some questions at this point:

1. Is HCFR the best choice for me for calibrating my plasma displays?
  2. Is there any good precise walk thrus on how to do this with that particular software?
  3. How do you physical hook it all up? I assume you need to temporarily install the software on a laptop, plug the i1Display Pro into the laptop, place the i1Display Pro onto the TV, and then project images on the screen somehow? Part of understanding the hookup, is do I use a DB15 cable and connect the computer to the TV and then the TV temporarily becomes a second monitor? Or does the computer have to be physically connected to the computer at all? Some understanding of this process would be appreciated.
  4. Unlike my newer Panasonic which has separate color settings in the advanced screens, the P50S1 only has a color slider, left or right. Assuming this isn't going to provide very optimal calibration of color? I have been in the service menus trying out some of the provided profiles, however know every display and room is different so need to do my own calibration. I don't know if it's out there however does anyone know if/what service menus also effect color?
  5. Is calibration dependent on device? What I mean is my TV has an Xbox connected to it, a PS3 connected to it, and also Windows Media Center running also thru the Xbox acting as an extender however not sure the way that technology works if you can consider it displaying differently than viewing a standard xbox. Some say it's like a remote desktop session. Technically all this is running thru an Onkyo receiver thru HDMI for reference out to the TV.
Thanks.

JR

Last edited by jriker1; Today at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
1. If you don't have any budget for software, then HCFR is about your only choice. I use it. Whether it is the best choice is a matter of opinion.
2. For a calibration primer see this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021933
3. For TVs I use the AVS HD 709 disk. I don't use the images in HCFR. I use a PS3 and play the disk in that.
4. I wouldn't try to mess with the service menus unless you are an expert on Panasonic Plasma TVs
5. To a certain extent the calibration is dependent on your source. Also some sources such as the Sony PS3 can be set to output the video in different formats which will also alter the results.

Hope this helps

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
3. For TVs I use the AVS HD 709 disk. I don't use the images in HCFR. I use a PS3 and play the disk in that.
4. I wouldn't try to mess with the service menus unless you are an expert on Panasonic Plasma TVs

So for item 3, Play the 709 disk in the PS3, plug the i1 Display Pro in the laptop USB port, run the HCFR software on the laptop, and adjust the TV accordingly. So there is no physical connection between the laptop and the TV correct?

With 4, I've adjusted them before according to others recommendations however was hoping someone would know what the various settings did from a definitions perspective so I would know when looking at the hex values what I'm adjusting up or down without having to put in dramatic changes to see myself. As mentioned, not sure a left/right slider for color is going to be able to accomplish much after seeing all those levels you are trying to set in some of the pictures I've seen.

Thanks.

JR
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page