AVS Forum banner

Help with Epson 5030ub + HCFR + X-rite 1display PRO

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Kilgore 
#1 · (Edited)
So my projector is pushing blue like crazy pre HCFR. Not sure what I'm doing wrong hope some one can point me in the right direction. Here are my before and afters and my settings I has to use to get there. I have tried 6000k, 6500k, Epson white on and off, skin tone off , middle and all the way up. Tried thx mode, natural. I still get high blue on all of them. I used the 1display pro on my computer monitor and it works fine. So I'm out of ideas. Also used different test patters from DVE and the 709 Files from here and tried my htpc and xbox one. Thanks

Here are all my before measurements..

Text Line Parallel Font Colorfulness

Text Line Slope Parallel Rectangle

Text Line Colorfulness Parallel Screenshot

Colorfulness Text Line Triangle Slope

and After
Text Line Font Parallel Animation

Text Line Slope Parallel Screenshot

Text Line Colorfulness Parallel Font

Colorfulness Text Line Triangle Slope

Here are the settings I had to use to get there..

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So my projector is pushing blue like crazy pre HCFR. Not sure what I'm doing wrong hope some one can point me in the right direction. Here are my before and afters and my settings I has to use to get there. I have tried 6000k, 6500k, Epson white on and off, skin tone off , middle and all the way up. Tried thx mode, natural. I still get high blue on all of them. I used the 1display pro on my computer monitor and it works fine. So I'm out of ideas. Also used different test patters from DVE and the 709 Files from here and tried my htpc and xbox one. Thanks
Is your screen material supposed to be color neutral? I couldn't find any specs for it.

#8 ·
of course it is pushing blue....your blue offset is at plus 30.

or am I missing something ?

#9 ·
Tried using the xbox one and my htpc , also the DVE disk and the AVS 709 disk. The meter seams to work fine it calibrated my computer monitors fine. Honestly I can't see much difference in the calibrated picture and the non calibrated picture. I save it in my Epson and switched back and forth and I really can't tell. Really feel like I wasted money on this dang thing..

#11 ·
By the looks of your "after" plots above you haven't really gotten to a good calibration yet so maybe that's why things don't look too different. You didn't answer Gregg's question either, blue bias at +30 is probably not a good setting to be at. Between learning what your projector controls can do and learning what the meter readings mean, and then tying the two together can take quite a bit of time depending on your background. I'd reset the grayscale controls to default and try to figure out why the luminance/gamma plots are so unusual (contrast too high?), you should get the gamma plot relatively flat around 2.2 before attempting any calibration.

#12 ·
I noticed that with my i1Display Pro, I get the same results. I tried changing the "observer" in HCFR and found one that eliminates the problem. Right now I can't remember which one it is.

#15 ·
You'll need to research what is or isn't unusual for your projector and what typical calibration approaches prove most useful. You can start here, or ask other owners who have calibrated this projector. A CCT of ~7500K may be normal for those settings. You should also try to find out which display type correction is recommended for the display pro and this projector.

#16 · (Edited)
I've found that with my 5030, you're better off starting with Cinema mode than THX. You can't reach the main points on the color gamut in THX (everything is undersaturated). Cinema mode allows for a much higher gamut. I also use 75 % Saturation patterns for calibrating RGBCYM.

As far as grayscale and your blue push, try different Color Temperature settings and use the one that gives you result closer to what you need and then start calibrating from there (lower should give you less blue, more red). Just because it says 6500K doesn't mean it's really 6500k.

I should add that I don't use HCFR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.