Do I need an excellent quality Blu-Ray player to calibrate correctly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I need an excellent quality Blu-Ray player to calibrate correctly?

Do I need an excellent quality Blu-Ray player to calibrate correctly or other equipment? I am planning on having my Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 professionally ISF calibrated soon. Does anyone have feedback on how 3D turns out over the 3D factory settings?

I am also looking for an excellent calibrator for Northern MA if anyone has a name.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Depends a little bit on how it's calibrated.

Most pro's will use a stand alone generator that creates reference patterns. If your Blu-Ray player is also outputting reference, then everything should match up great. There are a lot of inexpensive players that do this correctly. Additionally many Pro's can also touch up the calibration based on the output of your player by double checking it with a disc. But it might be cheaper to just get the right player.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Mostly, you're OK with a plain vanilla BD player.

What you have to watch out for is whether the BD player has any image enhancement features of its own, which would process the picture before it is delivered to the television.

You don't want to use a player that has its own zoom modes, stretch modes, sharpness and color control, noise reduction, smoothing, edge enhancements, no 4k upscaler, nothing that alters the image quality. If your player has a "source direct" mode, that's what you want.

In some cases, you might be better off with a simpler, less featured BD player that works reliably, rather than one that promises the moon.

nuke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page