When to adjust Color & Tint? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When to adjust Color & Tint?

I've read all over but can't find this answer. During the calibration process, when is the right time to adjust color & tint with a meter,... before or after the Grayscale adjustments?

Thanks much!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-eyes View Post
I've read all over but can't find this answer. During the calibration process, when is the right time to adjust color & tint with a meter,... before or after the Grayscale adjustments?

Thanks much!
John
After.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal_r View Post
After.
Thanks randal. Are there differing opinions on the answer to this question? Only reason I ask is because CalMAN has it Before grayscale in their advanced workflow, and chromapure shows it After. Confusing.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks randal. Are there differing opinions on the answer to this question? Only reason I ask is because CalMAN has it Before grayscale in their advanced workflow, and chromapure shows it After. Confusing.
Check out SpectraCal's webinar video calibration 101 on youtube.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Check out SpectraCal's webinar video calibration 101 on youtube.
Thanks. That older workflow clearly shows Color & Tint after. But their new "Advanced" workflow, found in at least Studio and Home Theater versions, shows it before grayscale. I assume SpectraCal sets up the workflow in the order they want a user to step thru it. So I suppose it's an oversight on their part, or some other reason for it.?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color.gif
Views:	38
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	581785  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That older workflow clearly shows Color & Tint after. But their new "Advanced" workflow, found in at least Studio and Home Theater versions, shows it before grayscale. I assume SpectraCal sets up the workflow in the order they want a user to step thru it. So I suppose it's an oversight on their part, or some other reason for it.?.
To keep it clear as I can, at the color decoder stage basic adjustments are made for any deficiencies that are present in the color decoder.

The webinar is correct. Here is a
that may help with the explanation of the color decoder. In the video they suggest the usage of color filters, most displays today will have a mode where one color can be selected (such as blue only mode). This is far superior to filters. As stated in the video this adjustment will probably not be needed. Since you did not mention the make or the model of your display it is not possible for me to advise you on how to access that feature.

I personally like to do a minor color/tint adjustment before doing grayscale and then doing an in depth adjustment after. For the record; grayscale then CMS.

Last edited by randal_r; 03-04-2015 at 06:00 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2015, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yah, I should have been more clear on my question so I didn't waste your time. When I said Color & Tint, I did mean the Color Decoder section where you actually adjust the tv color & tint controls. I always use the meter instead of relying blue modes or filters. I do know that CMS is always after Grayscale.
It's just funny how the original calman v4 video you recommended has the color decoder step after the grayscale, where the newer calman v5 one has it before. Whatever. I'll keep doing it before as I always have. Thanks for your time!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
After.
^

"I want it louder,.. more power,.. I'm gonna rock ya till it strikes the hour!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement