Can Someone Explain This "Sharpness Anomaly" to Me? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 11 Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Can Someone Explain This "Sharpness Anomaly" to Me?

I wasn't sure if this belonged in the Rear Projection Units section or the Calibration section; my apologies in advance if this is in fact the wrong area for the query...

I am still (rather successfully, save for a lamp change in all the time we've had it) running a Sony SXRD rear-projection display circa 2008 as my primary viewing screen, but from the very beginning something has bothered me about this set with regard to picture settings and when they're adjusted for our Cable Box input (component; "Video 5" slot). While my "Video 6" (HDMI) input has been adjusted via setup discs for Blu-ray and DVD playback (source being an Oppo BDP-83 BD player), with corrections made for Sharpness, Contrast, Color, etc., I have always been stumped with how to adjust for the cable box input of the set...

Just last night and the night before, I tried fiddling again with some of the basic picture settings while watching cable transmissions -- both standard def and high def -- and for the life of me, I cannot see ANY changes being made when I adjust certain picture parameters, notably SHARPNESS. To be exact, I tried running the Sharpness control QUICKLY from minimum to maximum while keeping a fairly static image on the screen, and there is absolutely NO change to the image to my eyes. Yet, on my HDMI input, when I calibrated for Sharpness using the HD Essentials Blu-ray test pattern, you could clearly see the white lines getting "fuzzy" and "busy" as you adjust the Sharpness control for optimum setting, as you should...

Still, on my Video 5/Component input for the cable box, I can't see the Sharpness changing one way or another; someone once suggested to me that this could be due to the upconversion the TV is doing to the incoming 1080i signal from the set top box (to the TV's native 1080p resolution)...but whatever the case may be, how do I establish Sharpness for this input/source? Should I just leave it at the default 50% setting, where I have it now?

Further -- is there a good way to set parameters like Color and Brightness for a cable input without using test signal generators or hooking a disc player up to the input? Is there something I should be looking for in broadcast material that can aid in setting these controls?

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120USB

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 03-31-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

5.1:
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120USB
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2015, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay...let me ask it this way...

Is it at all possible that perhaps the COMPONENT input for my display's VIDEO 5 bank -- which my cable box is hooked up to -- doesn't allow for manipulation of such controls as Sharpness? I've read that some TVs simply won't adjust certain parameters based on input type (HDMI, component, etc.)...is this possible?

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
post #4 of 11 Old 04-06-2015, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can anyone help with this Sharpness question?

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
post #5 of 11 Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Really?

There's NO ONE here on AVS that can tell me why my Sharpness control doesn't seem to make a difference on my cable/component input but I can see a Sharpness pattern changing when I use the HD Essentials Blu-ray calibration disc via my HDMI/BD player input??

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
post #6 of 11 Old 04-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Really?

There's NO ONE here on AVS that can tell me why my Sharpness control doesn't seem to make a difference on my cable/component input but I can see a Sharpness pattern changing when I use the HD Essentials Blu-ray calibration disc via my HDMI/BD player input??
you answered your question.
comp rgb on some tvs act that way

Loving D65
post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
you answered your question.
comp rgb on some tvs act that way

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread, Cal; I didn't receive an update message...

But I didn't "know" I was "answering my own question;" is it really that simple, that the component input of my display does NOT alter Sharpness one way or the other? Is it possible that it allows for HDMI adjustment but not component?

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Addendum:

Can anyone with SXRD experience confirm if the component input(s) doesn't allow for an altered image with regard to the SHARPNESS setting?

When I make adjustments for Sharpness on my cable box input (component), I see NO difference in the image, looking carefully, going from minimum to maximum on the control...

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 87
There could be many reasons why not but it seems obvious that what you are seeing is real.

My old CRT TV has aspect ratio control but that only works on composite input or 480i component input. All other resolutions including DVI input are all displayed in widescreen format with no adjustability.
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
There could be many reasons why not but it seems obvious that what you are seeing is real.

Indeed, Cheryl, it's real; but what are the "many reasons" this could be? And if it's the case that the Sharpness doesn't work on this input, what should I leave the control set to?

Quote:
My old CRT TV has aspect ratio control but that only works on composite input or 480i component input. All other resolutions including DVI input are all displayed in widescreen format with no adjustability.

How old was the TV?

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
post #11 of 11 Unread Today, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello,

Are there any professional calibrators here that may be able to lend some insight as to why I don't see my display's Sharpness control making any difference -- one extreme to the other -- when I'm in my cable box's component input for the display? With my HDMI input ("Video 6" from my BD player) I can clearly see the Sharpness pattern on the HD Essentials Blu-ray changing as I adjust the Sharpness control; thus, I have it set to "25" out of "100" on my Sony SXRD's Sharpness control based on the results I get on the calibration disc...

But why don't I see the Sharpness making ANY difference when I switch to my cable box/component input?

5.1:
2-CHANNEL:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page