post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 314
LG OLED CMS Calibration

Hey guys,

I know that using the CMS controls on the LG OLED's, in my case the EC9300 specifically, produce artifacts/negative impacts but is there a sweet spot/rule of thumb that allows for some subtle calibration without negative effects?

Just wondering if it's possible to try to tweak the CMS some to get it perfect. Out of the box my colors are close but need just a little tweaking (specifically Magenta and Yellow) to get them almost perfect. If I slowly adjust the CMS controls, what should I be looking for to see if they are causing unwanted negative impacts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Check an image or a test pattern with smooth color ramps for banding, dark areas, or hard transitions. Run the controls to the extremes to get a handle on what to look out for.
I personally don't think any improvements in the measurements would be worth it the way the controls work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
BigCoolJesus and ConnecTEDDD like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2015, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Thanks Chad!
post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey guys,

I know that using the CMS controls on the LG OLED's, in my case the EC9300 specifically, produce artifacts/negative impacts but is there a sweet spot/rule of thumb that allows for some subtle calibration without negative effects?

Just wondering if it's possible to try to tweak the CMS some to get it perfect. Out of the box my colors are close but need just a little tweaking (specifically Magenta and Yellow) to get them almost perfect. If I slowly adjust the CMS controls, what should I be looking for to see if they are causing unwanted negative impacts?

Thanks!

Hi, it need some practice and continuously verification of each correction step to see if the combination of controls you used don't introducing problems to your colors.

Each CMS control has it's own 'safe working range', and the combination of correcting values you use to one color may interact other colors also.

To be sure about your each step you have to verify each calibration step by looking some color saturation/luminance ramps patterns.

This is the reason I have added more than 150 Color Reproduction Patterns to my calibration disk, to be able to identify problems that meters don't see ,when you will measure only a few color points for verification.

Sometimes extensive usage of the available internal calibration controls values (for the hunt of the lowest dE numbers); this can introduce problems to the display that it's difficult to measure, that's why you have to test this with color reproduction patterns.

Here is an example of a problem:

Miguelronda and W3Rman like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2015, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Moreover, setting the grayscale, even slightly, will produce inaccuracies in dark color levels. For example, cyan

Ted disc is an excellent tool to assess and locate this type of problem which will go unnoticed to the measure of the probe.

In short, if you calibrate the screen, you will be at the expense of increasing inexactiud color. No matter what you do, the magic does not work in this case.
10k and ConnecTEDDD like this.

Last edited by Miguelronda; 09-18-2015 at 05:41 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
For OLED's display profiling LightSpace CMS has been added an Anisometric Profiling patch sequence to it's latest version.

Anisometric sequences are better suited to displays that have any form of ABL, such as Plasmas and many OLEDs, and which also includes HDR displays where Sequential patch ordering can cause display overheating (overheating can actually be an issue on any display that has high peak luminance outputs, as it can cause the display to drift.
10k likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page