The Official ChromaPure 3 thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 239Likes
post #1021 of 1049 Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi Tom,
Please confirm that once a report in CP3 is generated in a session, it cant be overwritten by repeating measurements in the pre-cal-post modules.
It would be nice to have a "reset" button in the Report section. Calibration is an iterative process and many times I want to tweak display settings after a calibration report is generated/saved.
I also dont know how to stay in the same session and generate multiple reports.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1049 Old 05-06-2017, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Please confirm that once a report in CP3 is generated in a session, it cant be overwritten by repeating measurements in the pre-cal-post modules.
It would be nice to have a "reset" button in the Report section. Calibration is an iterative process and many times I want to tweak display settings after a calibration report is generated/saved.
I also dont know how to stay in the same session and generate multiple reports.
A report simply reflects the data that is measured in the session. If you run a report and see that there is something you wish to change
  1. Close the report module.
  2. Open the module that contains the data you want to change.
  3. Re-measure.
  4. Reopen the Report module and run the report again.
You can do this as many times as you like within a single session.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1023 of 1049 Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

AccuPel 6000 and HDR

I have added a couple of demos to the ChromaPure AccuPel page that explain how to perform HDR calibrations using the AccuPel 6000 both with and without ChromaPure.

http://www.chromapure.com/products_accupelUltra.asp

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1024 of 1049 Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I have added a couple of demos to the ChromaPure AccuPel page that explain how to perform HDR calibrations using the AccuPel 6000 both with and without ChromaPure.

http://www.chromapure.com/products_accupelUltra.asp

What version(s) of Chromapure support the AccuPel 6000?

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
post #1025 of 1049 Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
What version(s) of Chromapure support the AccuPel 6000?

- Rich
ChromaPure Plus and ChromaPure Professional.
RichB likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1026 of 1049 Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have had a couple of reports in the last few days of a problem that is not exactly a bug, but is a system limitation that users should be aware of.

Sometimes when a user has a large number of tabs open simultaneously, the luminance for measured colors is reported as infinity and either the gamma and/or dE values fail to display correctly, or even at all. I haven't been able to reproduce this, but what I think is happening is that the system is just running out of resources. This problem will occur on some PCs and not on others. It is impossible to predict.

To avoid this problem limit the number of tabs open simultaneously to four. Closing a tab does not erase that module's data.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1027 of 1049 Old 05-09-2017, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi Tom

In contrast measurement
Checkboard pattern not work for Murideo Six-G. No problem to use checkboard pattern for another software.

Jarey
post #1028 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Hello Tom,

How is the masciola hdr test pattern working with chromapure 3?

I thought chromapure 3 always needed a 100% white messurement and if we use 50% amp patterns, it assumes the gamma used should be perfect and gives the delaE relative to this assumed gamma.

But each display clips at a different level.

What is the workflow with 50% amp pattern?
Do I just follow masciola pattern?
Do i need to set up chromapure to 50% amp?

Thx
post #1029 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
Hello Tom,

How is the masciola hdr test pattern working with chromapure 3?

I thought chromapure 3 always needed a 100% white messurement and if we use 50% amp patterns, it assumes the gamma used should be perfect and gives the delaE relative to this assumed gamma.

But each display clips at a different level.

What is the workflow with 50% amp pattern?
Do I just follow masciola pattern?
Do i need to set up chromapure to 50% amp?
I just tested a beta of Ryan's new test pattern suite against the AccuPel 6000.
  • The average difference in absolute luminance between the AccuPel and the disc is 0.75 cd/m2.
  • The average difference in relative luminance between the AccuPel and the disc is 0.0049.
  • The average difference in percent luminance between the AccuPel and the disc is 1.2%.
  • The color is essentially identical.
These very small differences are within the drift tolerances of the display.

When using the HDR10 or HDR10 - Projector gamma setting, it doesn't matter what the actual white reference is because CP essentially hard codes this and doesn't rely on a real measurement for 100% white. Yes, use 50% intensity, 50% saturation.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1030 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Can we get a 2020/HDR calibration guide for dummies, presuming use of a Lumagen?

I still have no idea what to do, and peicemeal suggesstions sprinkled thoughout the thread end up confusing matters more at least for me (not a complaint Tom, but an observation!)

I know this is not easy given all the parameters of different devices and settings, but Tom/Jim/someone needs to take the lead to put an overt step by step guide for panel and projector users. People ask me if they should buy a calibration solution and I tell them don't bother until there is layman documentation for 2020/hdr since we've lost the auto calibration feature for now
mskreis likes this.
post #1031 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Can we get a 2020/HDR calibration guide for dummies, presuming use of a Lumagen?

I still have no idea what to do, and peicemeal suggesstions sprinkled thoughout the thread end up confusing matters more at least for me (not a complaint Tom, but an observation!)

I know this is not easy given all the parameters of different devices and settings, but Tom/Jim/someone needs to take the lead to put an overt step by step guide for panel and projector users. People ask me if they should buy a calibration solution and I tell them don't bother until there is layman documentation for 2020/hdr since we've lost the auto calibration feature for now
To be quite honest I am still waiting for guidance from Lumagen on this--some documentation or a TechTip on doing a HDR/UHD calibration. I have requested this a couple of times.

What I can do is provide instructions on how to do a calibration session using the remote, which I have gotten from Lumagen.
1. Have an active input with HDR/UHD content, such as a UHD Blu-ray.
2. In CP select HDR10 (flat panel) or HDR10 - Projector (Projector) as the Gamma Target and Rec. 2020 as the Reference Gamut. Select window test patterns and 50% Color Intensity.
3. Using the Lumagen remote, if you have not already done so, enable Service Menu mode (Menu, Other, Menu Control, Menu Mode, Service Mode (Permanent)), Enter. This only needs to be done once.
a. Menu, Global, Video, Src Format, set Interlaced No, Rec 2020 Auto, HDR Auto, Enter.
b. Menu, Other, Test Pattern, Test Mode, set InColr 2020, HDR Y, Mode, 2160p24, CMS <desired CMS>, Enter
c. Menu, Other, Test Pattern, Adj w/Mode, Enter.
d. Menu, Output, <desired CMS, same as selected in step 2>, Gray/Gamma, set 12 or 21 points, Make grayscale/gamma adjustments as usual. You should be able to match gamma up to about 70%. Let it roll off naturally after that. White balance is no different than SDR.
e. Color calibration is more difficult because you need to target 50% saturation colors, and there is no obvious way I know of to specify a custom color using the Lumagen remote (other than various intensities). For color calibration it is probably best to use Ryan Masciola's HDR test patterns. Select 50% saturation in ChromaPure's Color Management module and use the Lumagen to make adjustments while using Masciola's test patterns instead of the Lumagen's.

For those who are willing to invest in an external test pattern generator that automates 2020/HDR test patterns, the AccuPel 6000 is ideal.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1032 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To be quite honest I am still waiting for guidance from Lumagen on this--some documentation or a TechTip on doing a HDR/UHD calibration. I have requested this a couple of times.

What I can do is provide instructions on how to do a calibration session using the remote, which I have gotten from Lumagen.
1. Have an active input with HDR/UHD content, such as a UHD Blu-ray.
2. In CP select HDR10 (flat panel) or HDR10 - Projector (Projector) as the Gamma Target and Rec. 2020 as the Reference Gamut. Select window test patterns and 50% Color Intensity.
3. Using the Lumagen remote, if you have not already done so, enable Service Menu mode (Menu, Other, Menu Control, Menu Mode, Service Mode (Permanent)), Enter. This only needs to be done once.
a. Menu, Global, Video, Src Format, set Interlaced No, Rec 2020 Auto, HDR Auto, Enter.
b. Menu, Other, Test Pattern, Test Mode, set InColr 2020, HDR Y, Mode, 2160p24, CMS <desired CMS>, Enter
c. Menu, Other, Test Pattern, Adj w/Mode, Enter.
d. Menu, Output, <desired CMS, same as selected in step 2>, Gray/Gamma, set 12 or 21 points, Make grayscale/gamma adjustments as usual. You should be able to match gamma up to about 70%. Let it roll off naturally after that. White balance is no different than SDR.
e. Color calibration is more difficult because you need to target 50% saturation colors, and there is no obvious way I know of to specify a custom color using the Lumagen remote (other than various intensities). For color calibration it is probably best to use Ryan Masciola's HDR test patterns. Select 50% saturation in ChromaPure's Color Management module and use the Lumagen to make adjustments while using Masciola's test patterns instead of the Lumagen's.

For those who are willing to invest in an external test pattern generator that automates 2020/HDR test patterns, the AccuPel 6000 is ideal.

Will an autocal option eventually happen with the Lumagen? For 2020/HDR? I'm not blaming you Tom but this is too cumbersome for the layman, especially having to manually navigate Ryan's test patterns. I loved CP/Lumagen/autocal for 709SDR...now I don't use it at all.

This makes me have to know the numbers behind all these manual readings, which is not why I got into this part of the hobby. It used to be like running ARC or Audyssey, but for video. Now it's like using REW to study response curves and waterfalls. Not for the vast majority of people...

EDIT _ Tom, can you explain in detail how automated the process becomes using the Lumagen and the new Accupel?

Last edited by thrang; 05-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #1033 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
When using the HDR10 or HDR10 - Projector gamma setting, it doesn't matter what the actual white reference is because CP essentially hard codes this and doesn't rely on a real measurement for 100% white. Yes, use 50% intensity, 50% saturation.
So I tried Ryan HDR test Pattern for chromapure 3.

50% amp 50% sat patterns.

The first pattern is a grey pattern @50% amp, then come the color patterns.

I selected on chromapure 3, 50% amp and 50% sat and hdr10 for projector.
Lightness is way too low (out of the graph even) for all colors.

I then even tried chromapure with 100% amp but no better luck.

Are you sure it should be working like that?
I do not understand how Chromapure 3 should know the lightness it should expect from the 50%sat and 50% amp pattern.
Does it try to guess based on the "goal" gamma we have selected?
Or does it use the greyscale measurement to know at what brightness level is 50% amp on our particular display?

It seems for me that Chromapure does not know at what brightness should be the 50% amp pattern for my display.

Thx,
Florian
post #1034 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I tried Ryan HDR test Pattern for chromapure 3.

50% amp 50% sat patterns.

The first pattern is a grey pattern @50% amp, then come the color patterns.

I selected on chromapure 3, 50% amp and 50% sat and hdr10 for projector.
Lightness is way too low (out of the graph even) for all colors.

I then even tried chromapure with 100% amp but no better luck.

Are you sure it should be working like that?
I do not understand how Chromapure 3 should know the lightness it should expect from the 50%sat and 50% amp pattern.
Does it try to guess based on the "goal" gamma we have selected?
Or does it use the greyscale measurement to know at what brightness level is 50% amp on our particular display?

It seems for me that Chromapure does not know at what brightness should be the 50% amp pattern for my display.
There is no guessing involved. There are defined luminance targets for HDR10 for all colors, assuming a specific 100% reference.
Here are the targets in cd/m2 for the HDR10 - Projector gamma setting.
Red 9.7
Green 27.2
Blue 2.0
Yellow 34.8
Cyan 27.2
Magenta 12.0

What is your PJ outputting?

In a very real sense the absolute light output is irrelevant. What is important are the relative levels.
There is no HDR standard for projectors. We just have to adapt the existing standard to a system that has a MUCH lower light output than what the HDR10 standard anticipates. We may have to add an HDR10 - Projector 2 gamma that requires even lower light levels.

In the meantime, if you can adjust your color luminance so that the error level is the same for all of the colors that would be fine.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1035 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Will an autocal option eventually happen with the Lumagen? For 2020/HDR? I'm not blaming you Tom but this is too cumbersome for the layman, especially having to manually navigate Ryan's test patterns. I loved CP/Lumagen/autocal for 709SDR...now I don't use it at all.

This makes me have to know the numbers behind all these manual readings, which is not why I got into this part of the hobby. It used to be like running ARC or Audyssey, but for video. Now it's like using REW to study response curves and waterfalls. Not for the vast majority of people...

EDIT _ Tom, can you explain in detail how automated the process becomes using the Lumagen and the new Accupel?
It doesn't require you to know any numbers, just look at the graphs in CP and see if the real-time readings match the anticipated levels.

What changes is that the AccuPel will automatically put out the correct HDR test patterns for grayscale, color, and gamma. You wouldn't have to manually select test patterns. You would still have to use the Lumagen remote to make adjustments. What's missing right now is documentation from Lumagen on how to setup the unit for automatic HDR test pattern generation via rs-232. Once we have that in hand, then we can presumably add back auto-cal for 2020/HDR.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1036 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
There is no guessing involved. There are defined luminance targets for HDR10 for all colors, assuming a specific 100% reference.
Here are the targets in cd/m2 for the HDR10 - Projector gamma setting.
Red 9.7
Green 27.2
Blue 2.0
Yellow 34.8
Cyan 27.2
Magenta 12.0

What is your PJ outputting?

In a very real sense the absolute light output is irrelevant. What is important are the relative levels.
There is no HDR standard for projectors. We just have to adapt the existing standard to a system that has a MUCH lower light output than what the HDR10 standard anticipates. We may have to add an HDR10 - Projector 2 gamma that requires even lower light levels.

In the meantime, if you can adjust your color luminance so that the error level is the same for all of the colors that would be fine.
Ok thank you! Now I get it!
My Epson EH-LS10000 is outputting 53nits for 100% white (in Digital Cinema mode on my screen (250cm 16/9)).

1) Would it be possible to specify the max output of your projector to create a personalized "hdr10 gamma for projector"?
2) Or another way: first let us measure the 50% white and then adapt the corresponding expected brightness required for the associated colors? (like you used to do in chromapure 2.x).

Thank you.
Florian
Chad B likes this.
post #1037 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok thank you! Now I get it!
My Epson EH-LS10000 is outputting 53nits for 100% white (in Digital Cinema mode on my screen (250cm 16/9)).
Your projector is not really HDR compliant. Generally we expect 100 nits max output for HDR projectors.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1038 of 1049 Unread 05-11-2017, 11:03 PM

As you said yourself Tom, there is no real norm for hdr for projectors.
I am currently inputting hdr rec2020 into the Epson EH-LS10000 with greats results. And it does not look dim to me.
I guess everything is linked to the "hdr" gamma you are using. I am just trying to fine tune the colors.

Anyway you just gave me an idea.

You said the important thing is to have everything correct RELATIVE to each other.

My projector output only 53nits for full white DCI but you create this new HDR10 gamma projector for 100nits output full white.
It means that if I write manually 100nits in the "reference meter" while profiling, then everything will align relative to each other-

I will report back to you when I try.

As always, thank you for your support Tom!
post #1039 of 1049 Unread 05-15-2017, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lumagen Pro and HDR

After speaking more with Lumagen, I received and successfully tested the method for generating HDR test patterns via rs-232.
This will be included in our next release, 3.1.5.
Auto-cal that uses this will be later. Although I can't say for sure until I get into it and see how much work is involved, the current plan is to implement 2020/HDR Lumagen auto-cal in 3.2.
Frank D, tibia, leemathre and 1 others like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1040 of 1049 Unread 05-18-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After speaking more with Lumagen, I received and successfully tested the method for generating HDR test patterns via rs-232.
This will be included in our next release, 3.1.5.
Auto-cal that uses this will be later. Although I can't say for sure until I get into it and see how much work is involved, the current plan is to implement 2020/HDR Lumagen auto-cal in 3.2.

Here's hoping version 3.2 is released in a week!

Great news...
post #1041 of 1049 Unread 05-18-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

....What is your PJ outputting?...

How do I tell you this? Put the projector in HDR mode and put up a 100% white field and measure that? It's a Sony 5000 btw...

Thanks
post #1042 of 1049 Unread 05-19-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I admit I am a new user. I general I am very happy with the workflow and displays provided.

My major problem is readability. Maybe my eyes are getting old, but I find that the white text on the gray background is VERY hard to read. Can we have an option to change that color scheme. Either make the gray much darker (black or nearly black would be best) or make the text black. To keep it clear that this is a different section I would prefer to make the background much darker.

Of course this may already be possible and I have missed the setting somewhere.
post #1043 of 1049 Unread 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have few questions, which most accurate AE method when calibrating Grayscale, Gamut, and Gamma? (Usually I leave all to CIE94 default)

And what Gamma compensation for and is it helpful?
The selections i have for my LG OLED 9100 are : 1.8, 2.2, 2.4 and BT.1880.

And thank you for anwering.
post #1044 of 1049 Unread 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrbjr View Post
I admit I am a new user. I general I am very happy with the workflow and displays provided.

My major problem is readability. Maybe my eyes are getting old, but I find that the white text on the gray background is VERY hard to read. Can we have an option to change that color scheme. Either make the gray much darker (black or nearly black would be best) or make the text black. To keep it clear that this is a different section I would prefer to make the background much darker.

Of course this may already be possible and I have missed the setting somewhere.
It would be easy enough to change the text to black, which is fine by me.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1045 of 1049 Unread 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight7m View Post
I have few questions, which most accurate AE method when calibrating Grayscale, Gamut, and Gamma? (Usually I leave all to CIE94 default)

And what Gamma compensation for and is it helpful?
The selections i have for my LG OLED 9100 are : 1.8, 2.2, 2.4 and BT.1880.
1. Either CIE94 or CIEDE2000. I generally leave it at the CIE94 default also. The differences are relatively small.
2. It makes a small adjust to the gamma target at low light levels to accommodate various black levels.
3. Technically, BT.1886 is the most accurate, but I would leave the default white and black levels as they are. The OLED panel's black level is too low to measure and would result in a flat 2.4 target.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1046 of 1049 Unread 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you Tom very much for informations.

Last edited by Knight7m; 05-23-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #1047 of 1049 Unread Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All:

I'm very green to the calibration process, but really want to learn, so please go easy on me! I have a few questions, but first let me list the equipments I have:
JVC projector X75, which I want to calibrate.
ChomaPure 3 software
Display 3 Pro meter.

Last Sunday, I was fortunate enough to have Tom Huffman to stop by my house and did the calibration for my projector using his CR-100 meter. Tom also spent time to explain to me a few points, which I'm greatly appreciated. The calibration went very smooth and fast and Tom got a very good results. Everything on the final report looks great: gray scale, colors error are all below dE 1 and gamma at 2.23. However, the calibrated picture looks a bit too dark and not enough shadow details for my taste. Maybe I just got so used to see the "un-calibrate or bad picture"????

First question, since I want to learn to do the calibration myself for future work, I reran Tom's calibration, of course I was not changing any of his values! Just using my Display 3 Pro meter and rerun the grey scales, gamma and color gamut. To my surprise, the reports all came out bad, grey scales's dE is now more than 4.5, avg.gamma is too high more than 2.5 and not tracking well, colors error is greater than 6 etc. Therefore, my question, will the using two different color meter caused this two very different reports? if yes, then which one we should trust? and why or how?

Second question, I started using my Display 3 meter and ChomaPure software and did another calibration section on User2 profile, everything went great on greyscale and gamma, I was able to get a very very low dE for greyscale (.8) and gamma tracking is great at 2.2. When I preformed the color calibration, I was able to get a very good and low dE (.6) for primary and secondary color using the CMS with the 75% intensity panels. However, when I ran the Color Gamut Module, I got a very high dE of 4 or 5 and most of the color errors are very high. I just can't seem to find out how to correct or lower the errors, as there is no control for them in the CMS. Might be I'm missing something here but I have follow the Chromapure guide to the teeth. Also, I found out that if I correct the color with the 75% test panels, then I got high error with the 100% test panels or 50% test panels. If I correct the 100% then others will be wrong! Please let me know what I did wrong?

Thank you for reading!
post #1048 of 1049 Unread Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Hi All:

I'm very green to the calibration process, but really want to learn, so please go easy on me! I have a few questions, but first let me list the equipments I have:

JVC projector X75, which I want to calibrate.

ChomaPure 3 software

Display 3 Pro meter.

Last Sunday, I was fortunate enough to have Tom Huffman to stop by my house and did the calibration for my projector using his CR-100 meter. Tom also spent time to explain to me a few points, which I'm greatly appreciated. The calibration went very smooth and fast and Tom got a very good results. Everything on the final report looks great: gray scale, colors error are all below dE 1 and gamma at 2.23. However, the calibrated picture looks a bit too dark and not enough shadow details for my taste. Maybe I just got so used to see the "un-calibrate or bad picture"????

First question, since I want to learn to do the calibration myself for future work, I reran Tom's calibration, of course I was not changing any of his values! Just using my Display 3 Pro meter and rerun the grey scales, gamma and color gamut. To my surprise, the reports all came out bad, grey scales's dE is now more than 4.5, avg.gamma is too high more than 2.5 and not tracking well, colors error is greater than 6 etc. Therefore, my question, will the using two different color meter caused this two very different reports? if yes, then which one we should trust? and why or how?

Second question, I started using my Display 3 meter and ChomaPure software and did another calibration section on User2 profile, everything went great on greyscale and gamma, I was able to get a very very low dE for greyscale (.8) and gamma tracking is great at 2.2. When I preformed the color calibration, I was able to get a very good and low dE (.6) for primary and secondary color using the CMS with the 75% intensity panels. However, when I ran the Color Gamut Module, I got a very high dE of 4 or 5 and most of the color errors are very high. I just can't seem to find out how to correct or lower the errors, as there is no control for them in the CMS. Might be I'm missing something here but I have follow the Chromapure guide to the teeth. Also, I found out that if I correct the color with the 75% test panels, then I got high error with the 100% test panels or 50% test panels. If I correct the 100% then others will be wrong! Please let me know what I did wrong?

Thank you for reading!

1st CR-100 is higher level colorimeter than Display 3 Pro. Many calibrator use spectrophotometer/spectroradiometer to profile both of them for accuracy.

2nd You can trial 50% 75% 100% which one get least overall deltaE, usually 75%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1049 of 1049 Unread Today, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Last Sunday, I was fortunate enough to have Tom Huffman to stop by my house and did the calibration for my projector using his CR-100 meter. Tom also spent time to explain to me a few points, which I'm greatly appreciated. The calibration went very smooth and fast and Tom got a very good results. Everything on the final report looks great: gray scale, colors error are all below dE 1 and gamma at 2.23. However, the calibrated picture looks a bit too dark and not enough shadow details for my taste. Maybe I just got so used to see the "un-calibrate or bad picture"
What's the luminance according to the calibration report? People's preferences vary, but it should be in the range of 50 cd/m^2.
Quote:
It may be too late now, but when Tom Huffman calibrated your TV, you should have asked him to create a meter correction file specific to your i1D3. However, meter correction should not affect the gamma tracking. What pattern source are you using?

JVC DLA-RS4910
HCFR Bug List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread