Basic EF9500 OLED Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2015, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1912
Basic EF9500 OLED Calibration

Finally having recieved a 65EF9500 that has acceptable uniformity (after a total of 4 tries ), I have broken out my i1DispkayPro meter and done a bit of white balance calibration on an OLED for the first time.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss with and help others who are beginning calibrators attempting to improve the white balance and greyscale calibrations of their OLEDs.

So please, while experts with better meters and LUTs are welcome to contribute, let's please keep this simple and focused on the basics of 2-pt and 20-pt calibration using a basic meter (especially since calibrating these OLEDs is so tricky ).

In my case, I'm using an i1DisplayPro with HCFR. I generate patterns from HCFR and also use Ted's Lightspace disk as well as GCD and AVSHD709.

Some first questions for others that have figured out how to calibrate the EF9500:

Using HCFR on 'View Image' configured to use 0-255 Gray Scale, 1% or 10% Image Area and APL level of 10%, I get very good whitepoint and greyscale calibration using only minor adjustments to 2-pt.

The display reports 0:0:0 etc up to 255:255:255 which surprised me but when I try 16-237, it is clearly screwed up, so it seems that my PC is somehow adjusting 0:255 video levels to the appropriate video range and the test patters are mislabeled. I have the PC set to RGB output but it appears to 'know' that the display is a TV. The EF9500 is set to Black Level Low.

When I switch to using test patterns through my Bluray player, I get very nice white balance with the same settings and the gamma curve also looks great all the way up to 95%, but 100% is clearly clipped (about half of the step from 95% that it should have had) and I am wondering whether this is because of the famed ABL.

My Bluray player was set to video mode 'Auto' and I changed it to RGB but this did not result in any noticable change.

Everything works out well and quickly when I rely on HCFR pattern generation (View Image) but I am having trouble validating that calibration all the way to 100% using Bluray test patterns. Any advice appreciated.

There's also a lot of funky stuff going on with these TVs down in the near-black range, including some control points having little or no effect as well as entire video levels that are apparently missing (crushed into the neighboring video levels), but I'll save that for a later post.

For now I (and hopefully others) would appreciate any guidance as to how most easily to use i1DispkayPro + HCFR to calibrate white balance and greyscale and how to best configure Blueray player to confirm that calibration with manual patterns...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement