10 bit Gradient Test Patterns - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
There have been a lot of people asking me how they can tell if their UHD TV has a 10bit panel or not, so I made some 10bit Gradient test patterns. These will show discreet steps on an 8bit panel.

The test patterns are 2160p 10bit HEVC gradient grayscale patterns. There are two different clips, one is a gradient from black to white, and the other is a gradient from black to about 75% gray.

The clips are only 10 seconds long, so you might need to pause them so you can get a good look up close to the screen.

I have included both .MP4 and .TS versions for compatibility reasons. Both versions have the same elementary streams inside, they just have different containers.

Here is the link:

Hello Tyler,

I'm a post-production artist wondering if I could find any before ( raw frame originated from camera like RED (OR) a 16 bit test pattern created in Photoshop) and after ( same frame rendered out in Rec. 2020 but in 16 bit) versions of any single frame or a clip. Since this is what happens in Post Production, and the encoding happens after the fact depending on OTA, OTT or LOCAL. These before after frames would be great help for Post Production artists to at least get the technical aspects in place. One of the main problems we have is lack of Reference Monitor with full Rec. 2020 support and no proper info on what Working LUT we would be looking through to judge the colors while working in Color Grading software! I have spent considerable amount of time to search for solution before posting here...

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
SrKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Both clips from first post looks like some kind of fake for me.... I test with them my 8 bit player and 8 bit TV and got smooth gradients where they should be smooth for 10 bit setup only.
How it is possible?

Last edited by ultrasilent; 12-21-2016 at 10:06 AM.
post #63 of 68 Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 AM

I got this 10 bit test from another source... please test it with your systems...

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/6zy1/AZA9g884s

post #64 of 68 Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasilent View Post
Both clips from first post looks like some kind of fake for me.... I test with them my 8 bit player and 8 bit TV and got smooth gradients where they should be smooth for 10 bit setup only.
How it is possible?
Your TV could be dithering

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #65 of 68 Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Your TV could be dithering
Sooner, PC is dithering, because the TV gets only 8 bit signal. Anyway, if so, this test not fulfilling it`s main task - to identify real 10 bit video path.

I have real problems in Premiere pro to encode in proper file this test:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/GQEp/R6su4jbi9

Can you please help me? Can you do same job as you did at the beginning of this topic.
post #66 of 68 Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is Samsung F8500 10 bit?

Anyone know if F8500 plasma is ten bit?

Thanks
post #67 of 68 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
going to plead ignorance here, just curious if the panel is 10bit, what I should be expecting to see on these tests. I ran the gradient and spears test and in both instances, the gradient was smoother for the 10bit side, the 8 bit side had banding whereas it was noticeably more nominal on the 10bit side. As I understand it, does this reflect the possibility it is 10bit r indicate against that? hould there have been banding on the 10bit side?
post #68 of 68 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
How do we know that the gradient was smooth because of a 10-bit panel and not because of dithering?
The difference between 10bit and 8bit+FRC is academic at normal viewing distances. They should both look the same.

Stick your face directly up to the screen and watch a solid color. Depending on if you get a dithered color or not, then you will see a very light (moving) dithering pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page