X-Rite i1Display Pro Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
X-Rite i1Display Pro Question

Want to buy a display calibration device and I am wondering whether I should go for a X-Rite i1Display Pro or Colormunki Display.

I will not be using it for any professional work. But I want to calibrate my TV's and Monitors to get the best image quality out of them for viewing images, watching tv/movies and playing games. Have used a Spyder product in the past and it made a very noticeable difference on my monitor's.

The plan is to use DisplayCal to calibrate which I believe let's you use OSD of the display to calibrate in addition to making .icm profile.

I plan on keeping the device I buy for a long time and with OLED displays coming shortly I need the device I get to work on those also. From what I have seen the Colormunki Display does not have OLED support, but the pro does, is this true? Also noticed the i1Display Pro has been around for sometime now, is there a new version due, or do they firmware update them?

Any advice on what product is best suited for my needs would be much appreciated. If the Colormunki Display would do the job, would rather save the extra money for example.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-02-2016, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Forgot to mention, then there are HDR TV's and Monitor's coming out soon. Will these devices be any good for calibrating them, or will I have to get a new device again?

Cheers
post #3 of 8 Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Very similar meters, the i1 Display Pro has much wider 3rd party support. I believe the colormunki is also limited to slower read times.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 8 Old 06-02-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
ColorMunki Display / i1Display PRO are based under the same hardware; they both have sealed and high quality filters and they are less sensitive to drift over the time but you will get better and more stable reading to any pulse display (Plasma/DLP projectors etc.) with i1Display PRO because it has better refreshing rate scan capability, I prefer i1Display PRO because is supported also from more calibration software solutions.

About your calibration of the Monitors you own for your PC/MAC via VCGT or ICC, the ColorMunki Display is coming with a simple X-Rite software for this job but it lucks customization or the target colorspace/gamma...for example it has selection only to calibrate 2.2 gamma while that software is slow.

i1Display PRO is coming with X-Rite's i1Profiler software that has customization, it's more advanced to it's calculations, X-Rite claims that is working 5x times faster, it can take sample of many more colors, and it has a Verification feature of the post-calibration results (with pass/fail also) to be able to see if it's accepted. ColorMunki Display software don't have verification feature.

Generally the software which coming with ColorMunki Display is poor compared to i1Profiler which is coming with i1Display PRO.

About your TV calibration, ColorMunki Display is not supported by CalMAN/LightSpace/ChromaPure calibration software.

You can use ColorMunki Display with HCFR and ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL only while i1Display PRO can be used from all calibration software solution I mentioned.

ColorMunki Display is a lot of slower compared with i1Display PRO.

Especially the i1Display PRO Rev.B is much faster than i1Display PRO Rev.A when you will operate the new AIO mode X-Rite has added.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 8 Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Especially the i1Display PRO Rev.B is much faster than i1Display PRO Rev.A when you will operate the new AIO mode X-Rite has added.
Is there any data I can find which show exactly how much faster the Rev.B is compared to the Rev.A? I may consider purchasing but only for significant improvement. I am sure someone must have both and could compare showing how AIO mode improvement.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #6 of 8 Old 06-03-2016, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Is there any data I can find which show exactly how much faster the Rev.B is compared to the Rev.A? I may consider purchasing but only for significant improvement. I am sure someone must have both and could compare showing how AIO mode improvement.
Hi, according to feedback I have from a Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk user which is using LightSpace HTL + i1DisplayPRO Rev.B + KURO + eeColor and he has performed a lot of testing using LightSpace's 'Measure and log' where it exports in excel (CVS) file format the xyY and the measuring times per each read in milliseconds, for us to find by comparing the data's which mode and integration time settings is giving him better repeatability while it has faster measuring speed (Test Procedure Link)....we found by comparing the data's between AIO vs. Burst Mode from i1DisplayPRO Rev.B Meter that that new AIO mode is about 30-50% faster from Burst Mode of Rev. A from the data I have.

The user tested 5% & 10% Luminance patches of Red/Green/Blue/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Gray and Black, which is the patches with the lowest luminance for him to use the 17-Point Cube DIP Mode Cube Chapter because darkest patches require more time to be measured from brighter ones and that test is required to help us decide what chapter to use for perfect sync of the disk with the software.

He used the 17-Point Cube DIP Mode Finder of Ted's Disk which displays for measurements the darkest patches that a 17-Point Cube (4.913) will measure, to be able to decide according to the measurements which DIP Mode setup he has to use...so with Rev. B meter he was able to run the 3 sec. Chapter of the 17-Point Cube Chapter of Ted's Disk where it performs 4.913 color reading and will take 4 Hours or 10-Point Cube (1.000 colors) that takes 50 minutes.

When I was using i1Display PRO Rev.A at past with my KURO using Burst mode, I was able to use the 6 sec. per color for the 17-Point Cube Chapter that was taking 8 Hours to complete the profiling. (Post-Calibration Report Link)

So with Rev. B, it's real impressive the speed performance of the new AIO mode, which gives the capability of a Full Video Chain Profiling without using any external hardware or software (PC/Notebook) pattern generator.

If I will get feedback from other display technology user, I will inform you again.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7 of 8 Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It would be nice to see a comparison of the time taken for 10p/17p without using the DIP mode.

As of right now my i1d3 Rev.A is only taking 55min for 10p profile using 1.75sec Integration time and 1sec delay on Samsung F5300B Plasma. 17p is 4-5hrs (I cant remember the exact time but its within that.

When I have done DIP mode as you have mentioned I did have to use 6sec also for to read lowest stimulus patches.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #8 of 8 Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 AM
jqp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSmithers View Post
Want to buy a display calibration device and I am wondering whether I should go for a X-Rite i1Display Pro or Colormunki Display.

I will not be using it for any professional work. But I want to calibrate my TV's and Monitors to get the best image quality out of them for viewing images, watching tv/movies and playing games. Have used a Spyder product in the past and it made a very noticeable difference on my monitor's.

The plan is to use DisplayCal to calibrate which I believe let's you use OSD of the display to calibrate in addition to making .icm profile.

I plan on keeping the device I buy for a long time and with OLED displays coming shortly I need the device I get to work on those also. From what I have seen the Colormunki Display does not have OLED support, but the pro does, is this true? Also noticed the i1Display Pro has been around for sometime now, is there a new version due, or do they firmware update them?

Any advice on what product is best suited for my needs would be much appreciated. If the Colormunki Display would do the job, would rather save the extra money for example.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

Many have offered you excellent advice and I can not dispute that the most up to date i1 Display Pro (Rev B), is your best option. As for the Colormunki, I wish X-Rite had given their products more unique names as I still think of the spectro version over the colorimeter version.

Many are stating the benefits and attributes regarding the speed but your concern should be accuracy. If you search past postings on this forum you will find many references that the reading speed is intentionally reduce to achieve accurate and reliable stable readings; especially at low light levels. While others have discussed the benefits of speed for LUT calibration, I feel you may not be utilizing the colorimeter for this purpose.

I can not state this to strongly enough, consider obtaining a spectrometer for the purpose of profiling. This will increase the over all accuracy many times over. Colorimeters are generally not as accurate as spectros. If you are really serious about calibration also consider getting yourself a video pattern generator (even a used one). I am not a fan of using a DVD player as a video generator as there are so many cheap units out there that are anything but accurate (my personal opinion). If you ever do get to calibrating a LUT device, it is painfully slow with a DVD player.

Lastly, with regards to HDR displays. I feel that these devices are still in a state of flux and there are still many issues too be resolved. If Dolby has there way, all displays will be 10000 nits. The power consumption of such a display is going to be incredible. To date I have not heard of one display that can achieve this level but then again, I don't get around as much as I use too. It has come to light that HDR displays do not fair well in environments where the ambient lighting can not be strictly controlled. C-NET did an interesting article on this very subject and for more info check out Joe Kane's on TWIT. In closing, I am not at all familiar with the software that you are planing to use. Does it support HDR accurately? If the open source software does not have what you want, consider commercial based software such as SpectraCAL or ChromaPure. Both are excellent and offer very good customer support. Unfortunately, to do video calibration properly one does have to spend some money, and as I have read on this forum before, "You only get what you pay for" and "The nicer the nice the higher the price".

So close your eyes and take a breath and focus on how far you want to go with video calibration and just do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration