X-Rite i1 Pro and its revisions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD
  • 1 Post By Bloodwound
  • 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD
  • 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 12 Old 06-26-2016, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 255
X-Rite i1 Pro and its revisions

Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing a spectro, and it seems that the i1 Pro has a very good price/performance ratio.
I'm trying to decide whether I should save up and buy a new i1 Pro2 kit, which seems to be around $1k or go with a 2nd hand unit which I can afford right now.
From what I gather as long as these spectros are taken good care of, they retain their accuracy for long periods of time.
So my question is are there any benefits to purchasing a new unit vs getting a great condition 2nd hand one besides the 'new electronics smell' factor?

Can anyone please clarify or point me to somewhere with information on what the differences are between all of the i1 Pro's revisions? From reading forums and some articles, it seems that I really should be aiming for a Rev D or preferably Rev E (i1 Pro2?) unit as they are superior to the older ones?

I've seen an ebay auction for a unit which is "loaded with 8 licenses". What is the importance of this?
At this point I plan to be using HCFR to calibrate my TVs and CalMAN RGB for my computer monitors.

Am I correct in my understanding that to get an accurate and 'fast' calibration I can combine using a spectrophotometer and a colorimeter?
I would first create a correction file for the meter by using the spectro readings as a reference, and then simply calibrate the display the usual way?
Does this require a calibrated colorimeter to still be correct or will this sort of profiling compensate for meter inaccuracies as well? I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting a i1 Display Pro as well (I have a measly C3 right now), and I thought I could probably save some costs by going with a 2nd hand unit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-26-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing a spectro, and it seems that the i1 Pro has a very good price/performance ratio.
I'm trying to decide whether I should save up and buy a new i1 Pro2 kit, which seems to be around $1k or go with a 2nd hand unit which I can afford right now.
From what I gather as long as these spectros are taken good care of, they retain their accuracy for long periods of time.
So my question is are there any benefits to purchasing a new unit vs getting a great condition 2nd hand one besides the 'new electronics smell' factor?

Can anyone please clarify or point me to somewhere with information on what the differences are between all of the i1 Pro's revisions? From reading forums and some articles, it seems that I really should be aiming for a Rev D or preferably Rev E (i1 Pro2?) unit as they are superior to the older ones?

I've seen an ebay auction for a unit which is "loaded with 8 licenses". What is the importance of this?
At this point I plan to be using HCFR to calibrate my TVs and CalMAN RGB for my computer monitors.

Am I correct in my understanding that to get an accurate and 'fast' calibration I can combine using a spectrophotometer and a colorimeter?
I would first create a correction file for the meter by using the spectro readings as a reference, and then simply calibrate the display the usual way?
Does this require a calibrated colorimeter to still be correct or will this sort of profiling compensate for meter inaccuracies as well? I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting a i1 Display Pro as well (I have a measly C3 right now), and I thought I could probably save some costs by going with a 2nd hand unit.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Here ya go

How to buy an i1pro on eBay
post #3 of 12 Old 06-26-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Hi guys,

In April 2005, GretagMacbeth (now part of X-Rite) began shipping a revised version of the i1 Pro Spectrophotometer in all end user packages.

The Revision B instrument is much faster than the older Revision A instrument, but there is no difference in accuracy between the two.

The Revision B instrument also has improved Teflon pads on the bottom to reduce paper scratching.

In August 2006 Rev D was introduced, with changes made to the material content to comply with the Europe RoHS legislation.

Parts of the components were replaced with new materials to make them lead-free.

There was no change to performance in Rev D instruments; in terms of speed and accuracy they are the same as Rev B.

In order to clearly identify the i1 Pro devices in the field a new revision had to be introduced.

But the Rev. A i1PRO it's probably a 10 years old meter.

i1Diagnostics is an i1PRO diagnostics software that is doing some Reflectance measurements using his calibration base and some Emission measurements using your PC monitor.

Reflectance Mode is used measure reflective light (printing/paper industry); to measure displays the Emissive Mode is used.

i1Diagnostics can't tell you enough informations about it's performance on Emissive measurements (for Displays).

You can't see from i1Diagnosis if the meter has drifted.

When you are searching for a used i1PRO1/2, the user who sells it can't prove you if it's still accurate, because to do this, you need a higher grade spectro to compare it and see it it's tracking well.

This is an old test, comparing my own i1PRO1 vs. i1PRO2 using a Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW - TN LCD 120Hz PC Monitor.

I used both meters in contact mode, carefully aligned using Meter Positioning Pattern and Full Field Patterns for the WRGBCMY measurements used.

The i1PRO2 was a brand new unit, i1PRO1 was an only 2 month NIST Re-certificated meter from X-Rite's Factory in Switzerland, both meters were connected to the same PC for 30min for proper warmup.

Which one is measuring better? You don't know which meter tracks better unless you use a reference meter to compare them both.

Another idea is to try to locate and hire a Professional Calibrator with a JETI or Photo Research or Colorimetry Research to provide you only that 4-color matrix correction table as a service for all your displays you have at your place. So the cost will be lower (from hiring him to calibrate your displays) and your performance will be higher since you will have profiled from a real reference spectro. I believe you will stay a lot under $500 and for me it's a better choice from buying even a new i1PRO2 for example.

One friend send his i1PRO2 to Klein Instruments Labs to test it it's performance using a Minolta CS-2000 as a reference to it's NIST Certified Labs, they found by comparing a i1PRO2 to 4 different display a different of max 0.0067 on x/y and 8.93% Y.....and he finally bought a JETI 1211.
VBB likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4 of 12 Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both, especially Ted for the elaborate response.
I want a spectro to be able to calibrate more than just the displays I have at home, but friend's/familiy's displays as well.
We don't have many calibrators in my part of the world as well. I'm also considering doing some TV reviews part time for a local AV website. So even though this isn't a professional grade equipment, it should still be a much better setup than a Spectracal C3.

I probably should have asked this earlier. Will it work properly with OLEDs, Plasmas and GB-R LED LCDs?

Last edited by The Coolest; 06-26-2016 at 04:38 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-26-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both, especially Ted for the elaborate response.
I want a spectro to be able to calibrate more than just the displays I have at home, but friend's/familiy's displays as well.
We don't have many calibrators in my part of the world as well. I'm also considering doing some TV reviews part time for a local AV website. So even though this isn't a professional grade equipment, it should still be a much better setup than a Spectracal C3.
Then, you should probably go for a new i1PRO2 (get i1d3 for colorimeter also) then, to be sure about it's performance and to handle it with care and store it well etc.

i1PRO2 has better thermal isolation due to it's aluminum at the side, also it can work for hours without new dark reading calibration.

i1PRO2 features a built-in wavelength calibration technology and it's using it's white tile to automatically self diagnose and correct for small shifts doing a mechanical alignment (of the 41 10nm increments binned from 128 sensors) based on that white's tile reflectance reading during meter initialization procedure.

About HDR calibration, i1PRO2 is capable to measure current HDR displays, below is the published Peak Luminance Range Limit for each meter:

X-Rite i1Display PRO (i1d3 OEM/Retail) up to 1.000 cd/m2
X-Rite i1PRO2 up to 1.200 cd/m2

but:

X-Rite i1PRO1 up to 300 cd/m2.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #6 of 12 Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

@ConnecTEDDD

Thanks, that's good food for thought.
Will profiling the meter with the spectro in SDR mode, and then using it to calibrate the same TV in HDR mode produce inaccurate results? (Just a work around I twas thinking about regarding the luminance limits)
post #7 of 12 Old 06-27-2016, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@ConnecTEDDD

Thanks, that's good food for thought.
Will profiling the meter with the spectro in SDR mode, and then using it to calibrate the same TV in HDR mode produce inaccurate results? (Just a work around I twas thinking about regarding the luminance limits)
SDR mode probably will not have the native (or largest gamut) of the display so it's better to profile in HDR mode but @ lower stimulus level.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM
puw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please forgive me, it's not my intention to hijack the OP's thread, but my question in a way is so similar I didn't want to double up threads etc.

I've never used a callibrator before and so my knowledge is zero and I've just upgraded to my 1st Pro type monitor - a Dell Ultra Sharp 24" monitor (2nd hand) - to test it out with regards to how much it will improve my digital vector artwork etc of which I'd definitely call myself at this stage an amateur, before I take the plunge and go for a new bigger sized monitor (32") and the seller also has, (he tells me that I can buy) an Xrite eye one display 2 (hope I have spelt that ok). At this stage of my 'education', would this be a good investment based on it being in great condition, not used a lot (like the monitor) and probably about 5 years old? Would it help me to get a 'good' basic setup for the monitor, create a profile etc. Or am I better off just searching for pre-made profiles such as off tftcentral for this model (not spamming) until I find one I like?

The seller is asking for US$ 80 approx, he says approx 1/3 of what he paid for it. I'm asking also because I'm on a tight budget and if this isn't realy worth the money or trying to figure out how to work it and I'm better putting the money towards the bigger monitor later this year, then please tell me.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice in this matter
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You are very much in the wrong thread, but to answer your question: A 5 year old i1disp2 is useless and you might as well give 80 bucks away to a stranger.
puw likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puw View Post
he tells me that I can buy) an Xrite eye one display 2 (hope I have spelt that ok). At this stage of my 'education', would this be a good investment based on it being in great condition, not used a lot (like the monitor) and probably about 5 years old? Would it help me to get a 'good' basic setup for the monitor, create a profile etc. Or am I better off just searching for pre-made profiles such as off tftcentral for this model (not spamming) until I find one I like?
Hi, the i1Display2 has been discontinued o lot of years before, it's filters are exposed and unsealed, so they have been degraded over the time, without even actually using the meter.

Even if you find a brand new (old stock) i1Display2, it's not a meter which you can trust.

Think about the latest generation of i1Display PRO (Rev.B), save some money and buy it when you will be ready, also about the monitor calibration you own for your PC/MAC via VCGT or ICC, the i1Display PRO is coming with X-Rite's i1Profiler software to auto-calibrate them doing some simple steps.
puw likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 04:10 PM
puw

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To Bloodwound & Connecteddd, thank you very much both. I did not know about the degradation aspect and I really appreciate you spending the time to reply. I will look at getting the Rev.B as suggested nearer the time of getting the 32".

I'll get out of your hair now. Thanks again.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puw View Post
To Bloodwound & Connecteddd, thank you very much both. I did not know about the degradation aspect and I really appreciate you spending the time to reply. I will look at getting the Rev.B as suggested nearer the time of getting the 32".

I'll get out of your hair now. Thanks again.
i1Display PRO has sealed and higher quality filters and they are less sensitive to drift over the time, it's faster, more accurate low light readings and you will get better and more stable readings to any pulse display (Plasma/DLP projectors etc.) because it has better refreshing rate scan capability, also i1Display PRO is supported from a lot of TV/Projector calibration software solutions like LightSpace DPS, HCFR, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, ChromaPure, CalMAN.
puw likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page