So I did a little messing around with it. Right now, the 2 point settings are the only thing I ended up sticking with. I tried a full 10pt, but I didn't feel that the results were an improvement, mostly because I'm not 100% sure how to approach the gamma. The CMS controls are also different from what I'm used to, I tried my hand at it, but again, didn't feel like there was an improvement.
As for gamma; I calibrated using 18% APL patterns generated by Calman through MadVR. I went with APL patterns because even with Smart LED turned off, the LED's turn off for 0% black. From my understanding, BT.1886 requires the TV's real 0% black reading to work as intended. I ended up setting the "Gamma" control to 1, and this got me fairly close, but the gamma for 70%-90% were all too low (ie needed to be darker, 90 especially). I could have lowered the RGB controls for 70 80 and 90, but I instead decided to raise the RGB controls for 100 by about 6 points for each channel, more out of curiosity than anything . This brought 70-80-90 much closer to where they needed to be. The chart looked almost perfect by the time I was done (0.3 dE), but when I threw some content on to test it out, I saw a couple of issues.
I had my laptop and HTPC both connected to different HDMI ports, and compared different scenes/frames from the fully calibrated settings vs just the 2pt settings. The issues I saw, that were gamma related, were that near-blacks seemed maybe a tad brighter than they should be (juuust a tad), and that a couple of highlights seemed a little bit clipped. I did a 20pt reading out of curiosity, and noticed that even though gamma for 70-80-90 were in line, 95 had the same spike that 90 had previously. I threw a white-clipping pattern on, and even though 230-234 weren't completely clipped, they were pretty close. So I don't guess boosting 100 to level out the high-end gamma is a good idea. I'll try it again soon, but for now I just went ahead and tossed the 10pt settings.
I'm also not really used to these kinds of CMS controls. I did 100% patterns starting out, but everything below it was off, so I ended up doing 75%, which got everything mostly ok, but seemed to give sub-optimal results at 100%. One thing I noticed that was strange, was the blue color having way too much red. It was already at 0, so i couldn't turn it down any, and yet the dE was fine without my being able to turn it down? seemed strange to me. Colors when watching content seemed a little bit under-saturated maybe.
The TV I had nearby to directly compare it to is a Panasonic ST30 plasma. It's watched mostly using MadVR with a 3Dlut I made. For lower APL scenes, The ST30 still looks better to me. Colors were a little better, and the blacks/shadow detail were better even with the backlight at 4 on the KS8000. I'm calling BS on rtings contrast ratio's for the 2016 Samsung sets. I never could get black readings below .025 nits using any kind of APL configuration unless I did 90% windows at 18% APL, or use windows alone and leave my mouse cursor in the corner while taking a black reading. That was the only way I could get black levels similar to rtings, while still hitting over 100 nits at 100%.
Anywho, If you guys have any tips, I would be grateful.