Sony XBR-X940D CalMAN Calibration Discussion - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 200 Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
moe14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I entered calibration recommendations from AustinJerry on my Sony 940D. WOW...It made a big difference. I quickly viewed a few movies (1080p) that I am very familiar with:

1) Dark Knight: Opening scene with banker. On many TVs, the flesh tone of the banker is over saturated and makes his face look orange. After applying the calibration settings, the banker's skin tone was the best I'd seen and I've viewed Plasma, OLED, LED over the past year. Dark scenes look incredible.

2) The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings: I chose these movies to p[eek at the landscapes, dark scenes, and flesh tones. The results were fantastic. Sky's and rolling landscapes looked very natural. Both of these movies provide close-ups of the faces of the cast. The skin tones looked great with lots of detail, texture, natural skin color. You could also see the intricacies (garment patterns, knots, et all) of the clothing.

3) Avatar: Spectacular. Colors where rich and not over bearing.

4) Life of Pi: Spectacular. Colors looked very natural.

I also looked at 4K content from YouTube, Amazon, and NetFlix. They looked great; however, I'm expecting significantly better results when I get new Oppo 4K blu ray player).

A big THANK YOU to Austin Jerry and everyone on this thread for providing calibration results that help us to get the most out of out TV.

Last edited by moe14; 12-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.
moe14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 200 Old 12-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RGB Range

Hello,

I'm starting to calibrate my 940D and wanted to know what you used for the range, limited vs full. I'm using HCFR and there is something odd going on. When I adjust the #10 on the multi point, it actually adjust the 90% on HCFR. It is not linear as I go down they will eventually line up again. It seems like the ranges are different. Any help would be appreciated.

Al
aldefed1 is offline  
post #153 of 200 Old 12-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are you guys using for your HDR settings? I calibrated in cinema mode and HDR puts the brightness to max and changes a few other things. If you go to the page where it lets your reset the mode it says HDR Vivid. I would have thought the HDR would have been based on the mode it changed from like HDR cinema. Do I go and put my cinema settings into the HDR settings? An example is that my calibrated brightness is 17 to get 38 ftL.
aldefed1 is offline  
 
post #154 of 200 Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
I made a statement some time back WRT the Advanced Color Temp settings. My claim at the time was that these settings were global, with one setting for all Picture Modes and all HDMI inputs. I seem to recall that someone suggested that this was not the case, and that different settings could in fact be configured. Unfortunately, I don't recall the recommendation, and I can no longer find the discussion.

Does anyone recall this discussion? Is there a way to save different Advanced Color Temp settings?

Edit: I found the discussion in the 940D thread. The claim is that one can store different Color Temp settings for Expert1 and Expert2, for example. I will test this out.

I now have two connections from my AVP into the 940D. One connection is for 1080p sources, and has a Darblet in the signal path. The other connection is for UHD/HDR from my new Oppo UDP-203. The Oppo connection can carry 1080p signals as well, since I use the Oppo to play standard Bu-Ray disks as well. When I used CalMAN to measure the color temp on the two HDMI inputs, I am getting slightly different measurements, hence the desire to be able to save two settings. I'll provide additional details once I have completed my analysis.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 12-22-2016 at 10:05 AM.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #155 of 200 Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
I fed the 940D two signals from my new Oppo UDP-203. One signal was 1080p, which the Sony up-scaled to 4K, and the other signal was a 2160p signal already up-scaled by the Oppo and then fed to the display. When measured using CalMAN, the two signals produced slightly different Advanced Color Temperature settings. I then used Expert 1 to store the 1080p settings, and Expert 2 to store the 2160p settings. Both are 4:2:2:2 @ 12bit. Of course, the 2160p signal was NOT HDR, but rather REC.709.

The purpose of this exercise was to make sure that standard Blu-ray disks, played in the new Oppo and up-scaled in the player to 4K, have the same white balance as other sources such as Satellite TV. I was able to implement the new settings using the two HDMI Out connections from the Marantz 8802A to the Sony display, one connection for 4K sources, and the other connection for 1080p sources (with a Darblet in the signal path).

The new settings are in the file linked in my sig.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #156 of 200 Old 12-24-2016, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
FWIW, I also checked whether switching between 4:2:2 @12-bit and 4:4:4 @10-bit would have any effect on White Balance settings. The answer is no, the effect is negligible. I am sticking with 4:2:2 @12-bit.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #157 of 200 Old 12-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
FWIW, I also checked whether switching between 4:2:2 @12-bit and 4:4:4 @10-bit would have any effect on White Balance settings. The answer is no, the effect is negligible. I am sticking with 4:2:2 @12-bit.
I have the same display as you but with the Pano DMP-UB900. I was in the middle of trying to get the best setting on my player too. I am wondering the benefits of 4:2:2 @12-bit vs. 4:4:4 @10-bit with this display? I just play movies, no games.

Thanks!
BJBBJB
BJBBJB is offline  
post #158 of 200 Old 12-24-2016, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
I have the same display as you but with the Pano DMP-UB900. I was in the middle of trying to get the best setting on my player too. I am wondering the benefits of 4:2:2 @12-bit vs. 4:4:4 @10-bit with this display? I just play movies, no games.

Thanks!
BJBBJB
I personally have no clue. There has been quite a bit of discussion in the Oppo UDP-203 thread if you are interested.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #159 of 200 Old 12-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Member
 
bcovish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Austin tx
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I looked through the pages and could not find the calibration settings for my Sony 940d. Can someone give me a link or page. Thanks
bcovish is offline  
post #160 of 200 Old 12-31-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brickyardz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Palm Harbor,FL
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcovish View Post
I looked through the pages and could not find the calibration settings for my Sony 940d. Can someone give me a link or page. Thanks
Check out the post above yours, in Austin Jerry's Signature, just click on his recommended settings, I have been using them for awhile now, they are great

SonyXBR75X940D #1 RIP due to power surge!
#2 940D is a dud, will be gone soon, #3 will NOT be a 940D!
BDI Corridor 8179
Sony PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield (2015)
brickyardz is offline  
post #161 of 200 Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcovish View Post
I looked through the pages and could not find the calibration settings for my Sony 940d. Can someone give me a link or page. Thanks


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Settings.pdf
BiggShooter likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #162 of 200 Old 12-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Member
 
bcovish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Austin tx
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thank you Jerry got it.
bcovish is offline  
post #163 of 200 Old 01-03-2017, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
BiggShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Valley Of The Sun
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I've read and reread the posts in this forum to gain a better understanding of the calibration process in regards to the 940D. Thanks everyone for providing such great information.

I just invested in the EyeOne Display 3 PRO (enhanced version of i1 Display Pro) + ChromaPure 3 Standard to learn and perform a calibration on my Sony XBR-75X940D. I know this probably isn't the ideal forum to post in, but I figured since it's the 940D and involves a calibration w/ equipment and software that some might be interested to see my calibration results. I plan to perform my first ever calibration this upcoming weekend

If this is not appropriate due to being off topic, and gets deleted, I completely understand. I could always start a new thread in this forum.
BiggShooter is offline  
post #164 of 200 Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
I've read and reread the posts in this forum to gain a better understanding of the calibration process in regards to the 940D. Thanks everyone for providing such great information.

I just invested in the EyeOne Display 3 PRO (enhanced version of i1 Display Pro) + ChromaPure 3 Standard to learn and perform a calibration on my Sony XBR-75X940D. I know this probably isn't the ideal forum to post in, but I figured since it's the 940D and involves a calibration w/ equipment and software that some might be interested to see my calibration results. I plan to perform my first ever calibration this upcoming weekend

If this is not appropriate due to being off topic, and gets deleted, I completely understand. I could always start a new thread in this forum.
If the discussions focus on how to use the ChromaPure software, then you should probably post in the ChromaPure thread. If the discussion pertains to 940D specific questions, then posting here is probably appropriate. I believe most of the posters here are using CalMAN.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #165 of 200 Old 01-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
I've read and reread the posts in this forum to gain a better understanding of the calibration process in regards to the 940D. Thanks everyone for providing such great information.

I just invested in the EyeOne Display 3 PRO (enhanced version of i1 Display Pro) + ChromaPure 3 Standard to learn and perform a calibration on my Sony XBR-75X940D. I know this probably isn't the ideal forum to post in, but I figured since it's the 940D and involves a calibration w/ equipment and software that some might be interested to see my calibration results. I plan to perform my first ever calibration this upcoming weekend

If this is not appropriate due to being off topic, and gets deleted, I completely understand. I could always start a new thread in this forum.
Good luck, be patient. Calibration can be an art form....try to get a good 2 point calibration first before messing with 10 IRE levels would be my suggestion. As AustinJerry mentioned mostly Calman users here but concepts are the same. Remember to turn zone Dimming off for the calibration. And all other processing.
Good luck,
BJBBJB
BiggShooter likes this.
BJBBJB is offline  
post #166 of 200 Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
BiggShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Valley Of The Sun
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
Good luck, be patient. Calibration can be an art form....try to get a good 2 point calibration first before messing with 10 IRE levels would be my suggestion. As AustinJerry mentioned mostly Calman users here but concepts are the same. Remember to turn zone Dimming off for the calibration. And all other processing.
Good luck,
BJBBJB
Thanks BJBBJB for the info - I'll be sure to post my results once I've completed my very first calibration
BiggShooter is offline  
post #167 of 200 Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Some great info on this thread. I did a quick 2 point calibration a few months ago and am now trying to dial in a 10 point calibration with Calman and an i1pro2 with Videoforge on a firestick direct into HDMI.

After running with a 2 point calibration for a few months, this week I ran 10 points sweeps at BT.1886, dimming off, with the 940 gamma at 0, -1 and -2 and got the expected gammas of around 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4.

But my DeltaE error went UP when changing the Sony setting from 0 to -2 on the 10 point sweeps. If -2 approximates 2.4 at the low end I would have expected my error to be less at -2? It makes sense that BT.1886 would force different adjustments as you move from 0 to -2, I just expected -2 to be closer not 0. The gray scale stays pretty much the same as others have commented.

But if my understanding of BT.1886 is correct, whether you set the display at 0 or -2, BT.1886 will push you to RGB adjustments that make you end up in the same place from a gamma standpoint as long as you have the range. My tweaked 10 point DeltaE went way down but it pushed my gamma number down too and I prefer to be closer to 2.4 "look" than 2.2, fully understanding BT.1886 calcs differently. I could just leave my Delta E at 2 and really no change in the gamma, but if I pushed the Delta E down more, my gamma got lower (picture brighter). Of course some of this is theoretical with Delta E's under 3, although the gamma change was noticeable.

I need to run some more sweeps this weekend using a few different charts and spend some more time. Maybe even try some test patterns from a disc.

But just curious what others doing 10 point calibrations and BT.1886 saw with all the good experience on this thread. And also, are you starting your 10 point calibrations at 0, -1, or -2? I did read the whole thread but most of the discussion on gamma were on different matters although very helpful.

Thanks!
BJBBJB
PS. Sorry for the lack of screenshots, used a different PC and did not run all tests! Also, if you choose to "reset" say "expert 1", it JUST resets those RGB settings, correct? Not the other ones?
BJBBJB is offline  
post #168 of 200 Old 01-13-2017, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
^ So here is a screenshot of my most recent 10-point calibration with gamma set to -2.






How does this result differ from yours? A picture is always useful. And what question are you asking?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #169 of 200 Old 01-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Austin Jerry,

Thanks for your response and on the good info on this forum. I now have access to the PC I calibrated with and here is my initial 10 point calibration with the TV at -2 gamma. I did not spend my usual hours on the 10 point as I saw what it was doing to gamma and wanted a sanity check.

10 point calibration:



Did you also used BT.1886 and have dimming off? I am using APL 18 patterns.

The question I was asking is from a gamma standpoint did you see DeltaE error pushing you to increase luminance but your chart has answered that and helped a lot! Your BT.1886 yellow gamma target line is higher than mine. Your gamma chart starts above 1 and mine starts under 1 and your target line is more in the 2.4 range while mine is more like 2.2. So now it makes sense that my 10 point calibration with TV at -2 gamma looks a lot like my 2 point calibration with TV at zero from a gamma standpoint because that is the target on my calibration! I think it has something to do with what my 0 IRE reading is as I think BT.1886 adjusts the curve based on that and 100 IRE. Early in the thread I remember someone adjusting that manually in Calman but I have never done that in previous calibrations.

Any other ideas???

I was also told by someone that knows Calman very well that the average number is not significant when you use BT.1886 vs. the old power gamma days but my eyes also tell me I am looking at a lower gamma picture and this explains why.

Any ideas one why my gamma target is so low? Perhaps a setting somewhere in Calman or perhaps the firestick...never used that before. I will have to try with my trusty AVS disc test patterns sometime this week. And I am running at 30 brightness vs. your 35 so I might try adjusting that too. Perhaps that is impacting things?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks again,
BJBBJB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10Point.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1894537  
BJBBJB is offline  
post #170 of 200 Old 01-14-2017, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
Austin Jerry,

Thanks for your response and on the good info on this forum. I now have access to the PC I calibrated with and here is my initial 10 point calibration with the TV at -2 gamma. I did not spend my usual hours on the 10 point as I saw what it was doing to gamma and wanted a sanity check.


Did you also used BT.1886 and have dimming off? I am using APL 18 patterns.

The question I was asking is from a gamma standpoint did you see DeltaE error pushing you to increase luminance but your chart has answered that and helped a lot! Your BT.1886 yellow gamma target line is higher than mine. Your gamma chart starts above 1 and mine starts under 1 and your target line is more in the 2.4 range while mine is more like 2.2. So now it makes sense that my 10 point calibration with TV at -2 gamma looks a lot like my 2 point calibration with TV at zero from a gamma standpoint because that is the target on my calibration! I think it has something to do with what my 0 IRE reading is as I think BT.1886 adjusts the curve based on that and 100 IRE. Early in the thread I remember someone adjusting that manually in Calman but I have never done that in previous calibrations.

Any other ideas???

I was also told by someone that knows Calman very well that the average number is not significant when you use BT.1886 vs. the old power gamma days but my eyes also tell me I am looking at a lower gamma picture and this explains why.

Any ideas one why my gamma target is so low? Perhaps a setting somewhere in Calman or perhaps the firestick...never used that before. I will have to try with my trusty AVS disc test patterns sometime this week. And I am running at 30 brightness vs. your 35 so I might try adjusting that too. Perhaps that is impacting things?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks again,
BJBBJB
Yes, I use BT.1886. However, I use test patterns from the Spears&Munsil ver 2 Blu-ray, not VideoForge. I experimented for a short while with VideoForge, but had some difficulty with the 10-point adjustments, so I don't use it any more. Otherwise, I am not sure why we are not getting similar results. Your 10% reading looks a bit high--did you try adjusting that setting? Also, I am not sure why our targets are different--I am using gamma -2.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #171 of 200 Old 01-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post
So, this time I have finally fixed the greenish tint for my tv. I was doing some research about green tint and apply the same procedure to my tv. So, what happen was that we put our meter at the center of our TV and it only measures that area of that screen. So, what I did was use the meter in non-contact style while doing calibration according to the forum that was mentioned.

Here's whatt I did, first I calibrate everything using the regular method first to get everything dial down and much as possible. Then using a tri-pod 2ft away from the screen and have the meter facing the TV. Set the pattern to Full Field and start doing series reading 0-100%. you'll noticing some errors, this is because you're having the meter reading larger area of the screen and not just a small patch of the screen. Make sure your room is in a complete darkness and no light contaminations. Next study your errors and start adjusting your 10pt W/B. The only down side of this method is you cant do continuous reading because the menu messes up the reading. So just adjust RGB little at the time and you'll start to get a hang of it.

The theory to this is to measure the TV the way we're seeing/watching the TV. I've attached some Data down below.
kanti123: Would you mind sharing your settings (same format as AustinJerry's)? I'd like to try these out on my set as a starting point to see how much difference these make before I get my calibration scheduled. Many thanks!
kakamora is offline  
post #172 of 200 Old 03-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Spent some time re-calibrating last night with Calman and my I1 with patterns from Teds disc running on a PS3. Could have gotten grayscale a bit tighter but I was at the point of diminishing results. These settings produce 45 ftl of light output. Was going to run a 3d lut with LightSpace via Madvr pattern generator, but fell asleep lol.


Cinema Pro
Brightness - Max
Color - 52
Light Sensor - Off
Contrast - 95
Gamma -2
Black Level - 50
Black Adjust - Off
Adv. contrast enhancer - Off
Auto local dimming - Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range - Off
Hue - 0
Color temp - Expert 1
Color space - Auto
Live Color - Off
Sharpness - 50
Reality Creation - Auto
Random noise reduction - Off
Digital noise reduction - Off
Motionflow - Custom
Smoothness - 1
Clearness - 2
CineMotion - Off

Adv color temp
B-Gain -2
R-Bias -5
B-Bias -7

pt 1 - R-Offset 2 B-Offset 2
pt 2 - R-Offset 1 B-Offset -1
pt 3 - B-Offset -3
pt 4 - B-Offset -4
pt 5 - R-Offset -1 B-Offset -1
pt 6 - R-Offset -1 B-Offset -1
pt 7 - R-Offset -2
pt 8 - R-Offset -2
pt 9 - R-Offset -2 B-Offset -2
pt 10 - R-Offset -2 B-Offset -2







ConnecTEDDD likes this.
njfoses is offline  
post #173 of 200 Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Spent some time re-calibrating last night with Calman and my I1 with patterns from Teds disc running on a PS3. Could have gotten grayscale a bit tighter but I was at the point of diminishing results. These settings produce 45 ftl of light output. Was going to run a 3d lut with LightSpace via Madvr pattern generator, but fell asleep lol.
Looks pretty good. One comment regarding the Clearness setting under Motionflow/Custom. If you vary the setting over its range from Min to Max, you will notice that each successive increase in the setting darkens the picture. I have adjusted the Smoothness and Clearness settings while playing the motion test patterns on the Spears&Munsil disk. I find the best setting for Smoothness is 4, but cannot see any difference WRT motion when I vary the Clearness setting. So I leave Clearness at Min, preferring the brightest picture.

How are you arriving at your motionflow settings? Do you have a test pattern? If not, I highly recommend Spears&Munsil. This disk also has excellent patterns for setting White Balance in CalMAN.

Edit: With my settings of Brightness=35 and Contrast=90, I get a Luminance reading of 64fl, significantly higher than your reading of 45fl. This could be because of the Clearness setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luminance.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2005481  

Last edited by AustinJerry; 03-04-2017 at 07:06 AM.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #174 of 200 Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Looks pretty good. One comment regarding the Clearness setting under Motionflow/Custom. If you vary the setting over its range from Min to Max, you will notice that each successive increase in the setting darkens the picture. I have adjusted the Smoothness and Clearness settings while playing the motion test patterns on the Spears&Munsil disk. I find the best setting for Smoothness is 4, but cannot see any difference WRT motion when I vary the Clearness setting. So I leave Clearness at Min, preferring the brightest picture.

How are you arriving at your motionflow settings? Do you have a test pattern? If not, I highly recommend Spears&Munsil. This disk also has excellent patterns for setting White Balance in CalMAN.

Edit: With my settings of Brightness=35 and Contrast=90, I get a Luminance reading of 64fl, significantly higher than your reading of 45fl. This could be because of the Clearness setting.

I use the following site/various tests for motion/clearness testing https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates I like to have motion with only a slight touch of interpolation hence smoothness at 1. Any higher and SOE rears its ugly head for me. Clearness significantly helps with motion blur which is why i landed at 2 as 45 ftl is plenty bright for a light controlled room. Any higher than clearness at 2 and brightness takes too large of a hit for me.
njfoses is offline  
post #175 of 200 Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
I use the following site/various tests for motion/clearness testing https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates I like to have motion with only a slight touch of interpolation hence smoothness at 1. Any higher and SOE rears its ugly head for me. Clearness significantly helps with motion blur which is why i landed at 2 as 45 ftl is plenty bright for a light controlled room. Any higher than clearness at 2 and brightness takes too large of a hit for me.
Are you using the web browser on the TV to access that site?

As for the differences in our settings, I attribute it to preference. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the relationship between Clearness and brightness.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #176 of 200 Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Are you using the web browser on the TV to access that site?

As for the differences in our settings, I attribute it to preference. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the relationship between Clearness and brightness.
No, I have a htpc connected to my tv and i use the browser from the pc. Agreed, all motion settings are preference.
njfoses is offline  
post #177 of 200 Old 03-04-2017, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,886
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7296 Post(s)
Liked: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
No, I have a htpc connected to my tv and i use the browser from the pc. Agreed, all motion settings are preference.
I just tried the test using the Opera browser on the TV. It says "VSYNC is not supported on the Linux platform", and my Motioncontrol settings produce no change in the motion blur in the test. The Spears&Munsil test, however, produces obvious changes.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #178 of 200 Old 03-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
kanti123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakamora View Post
kanti123: Would you mind sharing your settings (same format as AustinJerry's)? I'd like to try these out on my set as a starting point to see how much difference these make before I get my calibration scheduled. Many thanks!
sorry I've been away for a while, i end up doing the contact style and got a better result

Brightness : 15
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjustment: Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-Tended DYnamic Range: Medium (you can keep it off, but i like it on for more punch)

Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Expert 1
Color Space: Auto
Live Color: off
Adv. Color Temp

2-Point Color setting (In Adv. Color Temp)
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -4
B-Gain: -9
R-Bias: -7
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: -6

Multi Point (10P)
1
R:-2
G:-9
B:0

2
R:-3
G:-5
B: -1

3
R:-7
G:-8
B:-5

4
R:1
G:-2
B:-3

5
R:-2
G:-2
B:0

6
R:2
G:0
B:1

7
R:2
G:1
B:3

8
R:4
G:1
B:5

9
R:4
G:0
B:3

10 is all 0

Clarity Settings:
Sharpness: 50
The rest is off

Motion Settings:

Motion Flow : Custom
Smoothness: Max
Clearness: Min (If turn it up your picture will appear dimmed)
CineMotion: Low (you have to play with this setting, the way I check is to look at a person mouth moving. if it appears like soap opera then change to other settings)

Last edited by kanti123; 03-09-2017 at 10:52 PM.
kanti123 is offline  
post #179 of 200 Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanti123 View Post
sorry I've been away for a while, i end up doing the contact style and got a better result



Brightness : 15

Contrast: 90

Gamma: -2

Black Level: 50

Black Adjustment: Off

Adv. Contrast enhancer: Off

Auto Local Dimming: Medium

X-Tended DYnamic Range: Medium (you can keep it off, but i like it on for more punch)



Color: 53

Hue: 0

Color Temp: Expert 1

Color Space: Auto

Live Color: off

Adv. Color Temp



2-Point Color setting (In Adv. Color Temp)

R-Gain: Max

G-Gain: -4

B-Gain: -9

R-Bias: -7

G-Bias: 1

B-Bias: -6



Multi Point (10P)

1

R:-2

G:-9

B:0



2

R:-3

G:-5

B: -1



3

R:-7

G:-8

B:-5



4

R:1

G:-2

B:-3



5

R:-2

G:-2

B:0



6

R:2

G:0

B:1



7

R:2

G:1

B:3



8

R:4

G:1

B:5



9

R:4

G:0

B:3



10 is all 0



Clarity Settings:

Sharpness: 50

The rest is off



Motion Settings:



Motion Flow : Custom

Smoothness: Max

Clearness: Min (If turn it up your picture will appear dimmed)

CineMotion: Low (you have to play with this setting, the way I check is to look at a person mouth moving. if it appears like soap opera then change to other settings)


Thanks a lot. Will try these when I get a chance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kakamora is offline  
post #180 of 200 Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone have any HDR settings they'd like to share? Anything I use looks bloody horrible.
Nick Woolley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off