***Official B/C/E/G6P OLED Calibration Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 527Likes

Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 95
To add to what Mr. Aspiotis said, there are a few private "members only" forums where I highly suspect the majority of discussions like this take place, which is another reason you don't see many reports. I mean You wouldn't go to GameFAQs to report bugs for a game and expect it get fixed. I know this is not quite the same thing, but you should get the point I'm trying to make here.
This keeps peons like me out (read: not a place for peon enthusiasts like me).

Also, you can kind of read the SpectraCAL's members only forum (google crawler is a "member" so you can read via google cache).
Kind of annoying some of these places are so well hidden and is "members only" instead of "non-members = read only". But this keeps traffic costs down I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Look, the LG OLED B6 is a model which is out in the market for about one year, since this year these OLED's are the most popular consumer displays sold to post-production or to DIY calibration users worldwide, there many users who have performed already a lot of meter profilings not only one time but several times since they re-calibrate after some working hours also. There many professionals who has calibrated also customer B6 with professional or consumer meter meter like i1d3 and i1pro's. If there was a problem in meter profiling to B6, we should have informed about this from calibrators or DIY users in that forum or other ones, but no-one has reported something similar except your experience with bad profiling, so it's a problem to that specific devices (display or meters) you have.

Meter profiling it's a pre-calibration procedure, users usually are not posting that they have a successful verification because they post the final post-calibration results only.

Verifying any display with CalMAN, since the math is broken, it will add you an error, so you have to exclude all examples from CalMAN users, not measuring only B6 but measuring any display, they will have added errors after verification, so until this will be fixed (supposed to be fixed to CalMAN 2017 Beta), we don't count the cases of CalMAN users reporting.

How has the same results with you, can you point the posts?

I posted to your real facts, my measurements from E6 with my meters, I don't have other measurements to post since I have not calibrated a B6 before.

I have created meter profilings in SDR, 3D and HDR, I didn't have any problem with verification.

Since I have send you a very detailed email about what can affect a meter profiling and you still have problems, the only 2 things you can do is to find another B6 and measure with your meters and see if you have the same problems or find another users meter (same or better) and test the meter profiling procedure or your display.
Look, what you continue to support it is always and only a conjecture, guess, speculation and nothing proven.
I could also think that because no one complained so far, the problem has to be circumscribed to me only, but what I was trying to get here is just a documented confirmation from who uses equipment similar mine.
Instead, I received comments from people like me found problems in the profile creation (with Calman).
Now, since Calman must not be taken in consideration, I have not yet found validations with DisplayCal or Lightspace.
So I do not say that you have no reason, so that my experience is an isolated case, but I find that it is not correct arrive to this conclusion based on simple suppositions.
On my side, I tried to solve the problem following the suggestions you gave me. I am not used to take things for granted.
Furthermore Ted, as I said you, according to Florian there is nothing wrong with my measurements. So what exactly is your thought on this? Do you think Florian is wrong because the results should be better? You didn’t say nothing on this.
Of course I will certainly check with other instruments or another display, but unfortunately actually I do not have the chance to do it.
On the other hand, the comparison I was looking for was aimed precisely to make up for this purpose.

Last edited by tecnezio; 03-19-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnezio View Post
Look, what you continue to support it is always and only a conjecture, guess, speculation and nothing proven.
I could also think that because no one complained so far, the problem has to be circumscribed to me only, but what I was trying to get here is just a documented confirmation from who uses equipment similar mine.
Instead, I received comments from people like me found problems in the profile creation (with Calman).
Now, since Calman must not be taken in consideration, I have not yet found validations with DisplayCal or Lightspace.
So I do not say that you have no reason, so that my experience is an isolated case, but I find that it is not correct arrive to this conclusion based on simple suppositions.
On my side, I tried to solve the problem following the suggestions you gave me. I am not used to take things for granted.
Furthermore Ted, as I said you, according to Florian there is nothing wrong with my measurements. So what exactly is your thought on this? Do you think Florian is wrong because the results should be better? You didn’t say nothing on this.
Of course I will certainly check with other instruments or another display, but unfortunately actually I do not have the chance to do it.
On the other hand, the comparison I was looking for was aimed precisely to make up for this purpose.

According to your measurements, your error in Red is more that +-0.001xy +-2% Y, it's 0.0024x 0.001y.

Using the http://chromapure.com/colorscience-calculators.asp dE calculator, Combination Color Format Converter and ΔE Analysis, it's reporting your error in Red as 9.73dE2000. (this need some investigation from Tom or Florean)

From the 6 verifications of various different modes I performed with an LG E6 (Night/Day SDR, HDR, 3D) my errors in Red were: 0.2dE2000, 0.11dE2000, 0.08dE2000, 0.08dE2000, 0.3dE2000, 0.34dE2000 ...using the same calculator to get the dE numbers.

I don't know how DisplayCAL calculates the correction, LightSpace and CalMAN are using 3x3 XYZ matrix, so the correction from the sum of 3 primaries correction is correcting your White; there no correction stored for White.

But when you are working with 3x3 XYZ matrix, if one primary is off in verification, then the White verification will be off also....or if another primary is off, it will always report the White off also.

Ask Florian about how DisplayCAL calculates the correction, using 3x3 matrix or xyz which using offsets for xy coordinates with z 1-(x+y).

Unless you test a different B6 with your own meters or use another meters with your display, when you will know where the problem is located (specific meters or specific display).

If there was a meter profiling issue with these OLED's, it will be something we should have been known, like the known native clipping of 17 level these OLED's are suffering, at least from pro's I'm speaking or from enthusiasts users in forums.

Usually users who post at forums are those who have problems and searching for solutions, the users which have no problems, they rarely look forums, so this is the reason there not reported successful verification meter profiling from other users (excluding CalMAN).

Below there all the meter correction table verification using LG OLED 65E6 with 10% Window Patterns using Klein K-10A + JETI 1211 (the WRGB panel is the same with B6 in spectra, the SoC (system-on-chip) is different):

Meter Profiling Verification @ HDR Mode 01 (Verification error in Red: 0.2dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ HDR Mode 02 (Verification error in Red: 0.11dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ SDR Night Mode 01(Verification error in Red: 0.08dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ SDR Night Mode 02 (Verification error in Red: 0.08dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ SDR Day Mode (Verification error in Red: 0.3dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ 3D Mode (JETI measuring thru glasses....Verification error in Red: 0.37dE2000):

From my contacts I don't have any reported issue to these OLED's according to meter profiling verification.

If you have news about issue your are experiencing let us know.
L30Z3N likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

According to your measurements, your error in Red is more that +-0.001xy +-2% Y, it's 0.0024x 0.001y.

Using the http://chromapure.com/colorscience-calculators.asp dE calculator, Combination Color Format Converter and ΔE Analysis, it's reporting your error in Red as 9.73dE2000. (this need some investigation from Tom or Florean)

From the 6 verifications of various different modes I performed with an LG E6 (Night/Day SDR, HDR, 3D) my errors in Red were: 0.2dE2000, 0.11dE2000, 0.08dE2000, 0.08dE2000, 0.3dE2000, 0.34dE2000 ...using the same calculator to get the dE numbers.

I don't know how DisplayCAL calculates the correction, LightSpace and CalMAN are using 3x3 XYZ matrix, so the correction from the sum of 3 primaries correction is correcting your White; there no correction stored for White.

But when you are working with 3x3 XYZ matrix, if one primary is off in verification, then the White verification will be off also....or if another primary is off, it will always report the White off also.

Ask Florian about how DisplayCAL calculates the correction, using 3x3 matrix or xyz which using offsets for xy coordinates with z 1-(x+y).

Unless you test a different B6 with your own meters or use another meters with your display, when you will know where the problem is located (specific meters or specific display).

If there was a meter profiling issue with these OLED's, it will be something we should have been known, like the known native clipping of 17 level these OLED's are suffering, at least from pro's I'm speaking or from enthusiasts users in forums.

Usually users who post at forums are those who have problems and searching for solutions, the users which have no problems, they rarely look forums, so this is the reason there not reported successful verification meter profiling from other users (excluding CalMAN).

Below there all the meter correction table verification using LG OLED 65E6 with 10% Window Patterns using Klein K-10A + JETI 1211 (the WRGB panel is the same with B6 in spectra, the SoC (system-on-chip) is different):

Meter Profiling Verification @ HDR Mode 01 (Verification error in Red: 0.2dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ HDR Mode 02 (Verification error in Red: 0.11dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ SDR Night Mode 01(Verification error in Red: 0.08dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ SDR Night Mode 02 (Verification error in Red: 0.08dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ SDR Day Mode (Verification error in Red: 0.3dE2000):

Meter Profiling Verification @ 3D Mode (JETI measuring thru glasses....Verification error in Red: 0.37dE2000):

From my contacts I don't have any reported issue to these OLED's according to meter profiling verification.

If you have news about issue your are experiencing let us know.
Thanks Ted, it will ask clarifications to Florian based on your observations
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Guys now that, 2017 models are shipping out or almost ready to ship out. Do we know if LG will give us a firmware with Dolby Vision calibration enabled and that Golden Reference file for our OLED's, or is that file out in the wild?

Anyway we can ask and perhaps get that file from LG.

55EA9800
65E6P
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What video format will produce the best picture?

I have a preamp that contains a video processor that can output rgb, 4:4:4, or 4:2:2. I also have an eecolor box that internally processes in rgb space, but will pass out whatever format is passed in.

It would seem to me that if I set up the end to end to be rgb into the OLED, I would get the best picture.

What is the prevalent thinking on which video format produces the best picture?

Thanks in advance...be well
Ron
Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 PM

I've heard (haven't verified) that internal processing is YCbCr.
My LED LG's are all RGB, and I assume they wouldn't bother restructuring for non-RGB processing when they've been doing it for years.

Then again, you were having issues with color differences in RGB with your Playstation.

I actually have another theory on that.
Try calibrating at a different peak brightness and see if your primary luminance axis has shifted?
The theory here being that voltage is very irregular due to ABL effecting voltage, causing inconsistent axis shifts at different luminance levels.
I noticed this with Cyan on my display when running Ted's luminance patterns (CALMAN 10-point axis patterns).
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
***SNIPPED FOR QUOTING***
Mr. Aspiotis, I'm curious. How are you taking measurements? Your process, I mean. Like sweeps? Anything shown between measurements? What do you leave on the screen before or after measuring? Single readings or multiple? If multiple, averaging them? Do you re-measure previous patterns (none, randomly, switching back and forth, specific points only, etc)?
I know my lowly ColorMunki Display has nothing on your meters, but I've seen a few posts from people with high quality meters that seem to have much more stable measurements (or perhaps never checked stability-time-repeatability of their panel/measurements). So automated pattern measurement sequences, like grayscale/saturation sweeps, the previous pattern would always "taint" or "skew" the current one. Buzzard, on an older LG OLED, claims to be unable to reproduce what another user reported with a lower quality meter (as good or better than mine, and basically had the same behavior I'm seeing).
Since you don't have one of these panels yourself, did you by chance happen to check for something like this?
Perhaps this might be related to tecnezio's results?

Watching content between patches would also do the same thing (taint/skew). I assume that when profiling a display it would take stability into account but not so much this particular kind of stability or lack thereof. Basically content shown from the last few minutes are tainting/skewing my measurements.
Example: Put a 20% grey full screen field up, put the LG magic wand pointer on screen for ~5 seconds then move it. You can see the retention after image and it stays for about 1 minute.

This is not my meter as far as I can tell as it behaves fine on various LG's LCD displays my friends and family have. I don't get repeatable measurements that are rock solid stable, but it's definitely not the case when measuring my E6. This is something I highly doubt a correction matrix or spectral sample of my panel would help (my assumption, could be wrong).
Contact and non-contact modes have similar results, so OLED heat is not an issue for the meter itself (i.e. OLED heat in contact mode is not an issue.)
No random jumps/dips of 10 or more nits. This is very obvious on my E6, where I just measure twice from HCFR and see a large enough difference to throw off white balance and gamma to a small perceptional degree (ala warm 1 vs warm 2 kind of white)
Constant measurements over 1 minute match results of back to back measurements or slightly delayed measurements for the same length of time. This is not the case on my E6, where the constant measurements will be LOWER, which makes no sense unless this means the display is unstable and needs time to stabilize which will greatly impact profiling results (!) for creating a 3D LUT.

And this is why I'm curious, as I'm finalizing my manual measurements (my process is described below), and I'm wanting to feel comfortable doing automatic measurements for profiling and running the hour plus long patch sets. My manual process is already long and tedious (which I'm fine with) but it's not applicable for these processes.
I've tried using 0%, 5%, 10% 15%, 25%, 30% 50% 75% and 100% patterns (fields and different window sizes larger and smaller than 10%) as my content between measurements (basically same as process below but with different "content").

I would suspect if wide gamut displays were a problem with the meter's hardware (aka i1 Display Pro variants) then others would have more discussion on it in the various forums.

I only have experience with my display, so I'm trying to go through everything I can think of before simply blaming the technology (LG's WRGB OLEds), which I don't have a problem with either. I just want to be satisfied with my conclusion on my display and not go "but what if..." the next morning.

And by all means, this question goes to everyone, so feel free to share how you're taking measurements in detail.

Also, I'm really curious if anyone has any thoughts to share regarding this interesting behavior using jScreenFix (in that post of mine), or anything that changes pixels extremely fast.
Using that as my content between measurements compared to using the Colors of Journey demo, the closer to black the pattern is the higher Y compares (5% demo's 0.19 nits vs .jar's .62 nits), and closer to white the lower Y compares (100% demo's 170 nits vs .jar's 130 nits).
IMO, a significant difference. RGB balance is just as bad (non-linear).
This does lower repeatability differences as the rapidly changing pixels prevent voltage buildup (read: image retention), but real content will not behave like this so I've been trying to recreate real world conditions by using the process outlined below.

---

My process:
I have my computer connected to the screen, so I can switch between measurements with no time spent flipping through menus or switching inputs (which causes a shift in white balance control alignment, initially).
I've been using MadVR* to convert LG's HDR demo (Colors of Journey) to SDR. This clip covers nearly everything. Bright colors, quick motion, slow motion, panning of a single picture, brights, darks, slow and fast pixel transitions, some quick scenes some slow.
I take one measurement every two or more play throughs, as taking one per playthrough the pattern will still slightly skew measurements, two is much less but usually longer as I do other things and forget about measuring.
I continue for 30 measurements, each taken at a different point in the video, and used for all sets. I randomize the order (bright scene, dark scene, color-heavy scene, etc) then average them.
I'm going by RGB values, by the way.
Once averaged, I make adjustments for white balance controls.
Repeating until satisfied.

This is very time consuming, but has been working wonderfully for me to help combat the measurement behavior I see on my panel.

But this is not something I can do for profiling via DisplayCAL or anything that needs to be done in an automated process.

I've also tried quick measurements (low integration time; 300ms-1000ms), delayed measurements (dynamic iris value; 200ms-3000ms), which works just fine but does nothing to effect erratic measurements.
*MadVR shows a 20% black window a few seconds before each measurement., which seems to not actually effect measurements at all.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
The spreadsheet expects the Y component of xyY in the range 0..1, not 0...100.

Quote:
I don't know how DisplayCAL calculates the correction, [...]
ArgyllCMS creates a 3x3 matrix from the two sets of measurements (in this case RGBW). @gwgill may be able to expand on this.

Quote:
This assumes a display with perfect additivity, i.e. where the sum of the primaries gives exactly the white (in which case the above would be true). But a matrix on a display with less good additivity will not be able to minimize dE from colorimeter to reference instrument measurements of primaries + white in the same amount (which is a limitation of a 3x3 matrix in general).
RIppolito and ConnecTEDDD like this.

DisplayCAL - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 3.3.1 released 2017-06-04
Previous development snapshot (OUTDATED): 3.2.9 Beta (Windows/0install) released 2017-05-23 | Standalone | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook
Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
ArgyllCMS creates a 3x3 matrix from the two sets of measurements (in this case RGBW). @gwgill may be able to expand on this.
The matrix is fitted to the measurement set to minimize the delta E, since this is in conformance with minimizing visual error.
Some testing Zoyd did a while back appeared to confirm that this results in better accuracy than the "classic" linear algebra that seems to be used by other calibration packages...
RIppolito likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
The matrix is fitted to the measurement set to minimize the delta E, since this is in conformance with minimizing visual error.
Some testing Zoyd did a while back appeared to confirm that this results in better accuracy than the "classic" linear algebra that seems to be used by other calibration packages...
I have been doing a few comparisons myself (only a handful, so nothing statistically relevant). The results were mostly about the same though (given a limited sample set of WRGB), in some cases Argyll did provide a slightly better fit than the NIST four-color method, in some it was the other way around, e.g.:

Code:
LG 55B6

Colorimeter: i1D3

Uncorrected xyY
----------------------------
 0.315134 0.336756 103.1139
 0.670631 0.329369  24.0611
 0.261268 0.670851  72.6170
 0.141066 0.053081   6.8166

Reference: i1 Pro 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NIST four-color matrix method

Correction matrix is:
  0.988486 0.010133 -0.002782
  -0.030041 1.021580 0.005686
  0.000555 0.002568 0.979994

Reference xyY         |      Corrected xyY         |   DE94   |   DE00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 0.316268 0.339021 103.0464 | 0.316268 0.339021 103.0464 | 0.000000 | 0.000000 
 0.677221 0.321541  24.1504 | 0.677221 0.321541  23.1086 | 1.093998 | 1.043687 
 0.261955 0.670407  71.8438 | 0.261955 0.670407  73.3762 | 0.738759 | 0.486528 
 0.140226 0.055557   7.0023 | 0.140226 0.055557   7.0079 | 0.013589 | 0.011138 

Fit error is max 1.0940, avg 0.4616 DE94
Fit error is max 1.0437, avg 0.3853 DE00

Argyll DE94 fitting method

Correction matrix is:
  0.986050 0.014362 -0.003661
  -0.036921 1.028765 0.005848
  -0.003296 0.006250 0.980629

Reference xyY         |      Corrected xyY         |   DE94   |   DE00
 0.316268 0.339021 103.0464 | 0.316332 0.339021 103.1407 | 0.050360 | 0.055638
 0.677221 0.321541  24.1504 | 0.679641 0.320514  22.9444 | 1.218293 | 1.156568
 0.261955 0.670407  71.8438 | 0.262339 0.668986  73.7046 | 0.885062 | 0.572820
 0.140226 0.055557   7.0023 | 0.139543 0.055153   6.9490 | 0.132209 | 0.122447

Fit error is max 1.2183, avg 0.5715 DE94
Fit error is max 1.1566, avg 0.4769 DE00
Thanks to tecnezio for providing the measurement data.

DisplayCAL - Graphical front-end for Argyll CMS display calibration and characterization
Current stable version 3.3.1 released 2017-06-04
Previous development snapshot (OUTDATED): 3.2.9 Beta (Windows/0install) released 2017-05-23 | Standalone | Changelog
DisplayCAL on Facebook
Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Here is the Chromapure 3 results calibrating my 65B6. The field meter is an I1D3 (rev b) corrected using the I1Pro2 as the reference meter.

The profiling works well in that the I1Pro2 measurements the corrected I1D3 are a good match for the I1Pro2.
The corrections, uncorrected, and corrected results are attached.

The delta E's are:

• I1D3 uncorrected: 2.6
  • I1D3 corrected using the I1Pro2: 0.68
Without corrections, the I1D3 reads about 4% higher blue.

- Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CP_I1D3_by_I1Pro2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2044233   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6_I1D3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	2044241   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6_I1D3_I1Pro2_Profile.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	2044249  

Oppo UPD-205 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 65C7 | Lumagen 2020

Last edited by RichB; 03-23-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Here is the Chromapure 3 results calibrating my 65B6. The field meter is an I1D3 (rev b) corrected using the I1Pro2 as the reference meter.

The profiling works well in that the I1Pro2 measurements the corrected I1D3 are a good match for the I1Pro2.

The delta E's are:

• I1D3 uncorrected: 2.6
  • I1D3 corrected using the I1Pro2: 0.68
Without corrections, the I1D3 reads about 4% higher blue.

- Rich
Rich:

Are these measurements using the contact method? If not what distances from the screen are you using for the i1D3 and i1Pro2?

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (45-0605 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Sony HT-CT660 Soundbar
Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Rich:

Are these measurements using the contact method? If not what distances from the screen are you using for the i1D3 and i1Pro2?
Generally, you should use the method, contact or non-contact, that you use when calibrating to profile your meter.
RIppolito likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E / LG 55OLEDE6P
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
ISF Level II Certified
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Rich:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Generally, you should use the method, contact or non-contact, that you use when calibrating to profile your meter.
The I1D3 contact, tripod mounted at the screen. I have tried contact and at about 1/2 with the same readings.
The I1Pro2 is contact using the weighed cradle and strap.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 65C7 | Lumagen 2020
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, i'm more lost than a SOB on the day of the father, so... to begin...

I dont know anything about calibration, but i want to calibrate my B6 for SDR and HDR, i have buyed the HDR patters from masciola, and i'm looking to buy an i1D3, i have 1h50min to decide if buy it or not (To have it tomorrow), cost me 220€

What i need to know is... i1D3 will work for me? i just want to use it on my B6 and my older tv's, because i'm tired of trying all kind of settings and no one looks like the other one, so i'm tired of not know how my tv is supposed to look, if i buy the i1D3 i'll be able to properly calibrate my TV if i buy something like CALMAN software? or it wont be enough to do it?

i dont have any tripod so it will be on contact with the TV

Thanks
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

- Rich
Rich:

Just for a bit more clarification on your #2 slide above does that grayscale sweep represent what your B6 is looking like out of the box or had you done some previous calibrations before doing this profiling experiment?

This post is timely and interesting to me personally because I just purchased a used i1Pro off of eBay and then sent it to Tom Huffman for calibration-it's on the way back to me now. Now if I could just get B&H Photo to send me the friggin cradle for the i1Pro I would be all set to see if I can replicate your results on my C6.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Soundbar
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Ok so been reading like 15 pages at each post that contain i1D3, so looks like it works for SDR, but does it work for HDR? does anyone have tried Masciola patterns?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Rich:
Just for a bit more clarification on your #2 slide above does that grayscale sweep represent what your B6 is looking like out of the box or had you done some previous calibrations before doing this profiling experiment?

All measurements are post calibration of ISF Dark mode (SDR) mode. The B6 was calibrated using the I1D3 with Chromapure3 corrections obtained using the I1Pro2.

- Rich

Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post
Ok so been reading like 15 pages at each post that contain i1D3, so looks like it works for SDR, but does it work for HDR? does anyone have tried Masciola patterns?

i1D3 should be okay for these sets. Probably in a year or two, OLEDS will start coming out that are brighter than what it is accurate too.
Some LCD's are already beyond that threshold.
Use 50% saturation for colors for HDR, probably mentioned on the first couple pages.

Not sure what the DIY guy is going to do in a couple years. What's the next cheapest sensor that can handle 1000+ cd/m^2 accurately? Maybe X-Rite will come out with an updated sensor? What are current LCD owners doing?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, i'm more lost than a SOB on the day of the father, so... to begin...

I dont know anything about calibration, but i want to calibrate my B6 for SDR and HDR, i have buyed the HDR patters from masciola, and i'm looking to buy an i1D3, i have 1h50min to decide if buy it or not (To have it tomorrow), cost me 220€

What i need to know is... i1D3 will work for me? i just want to use it on my B6 and my older tv's, because i'm tired of trying all kind of settings and no one looks like the other one, so i'm tired of not know how my tv is supposed to look, if i buy the i1D3 i'll be able to properly calibrate my TV if i buy something like CALMAN software? or it wont be enough to do it?

i dont have any tripod so it will be on contact with the TV

Thanks
Hi 256K:

The short answer is yes the i1D3 will work for you (it's worked very well for me up to now). What you have to decide for yourself is to what degree in time and money are you willing to spend to chase down the calibration rabbit hole. If you want to spend the bare minimum you could just purchase a retail i1D3 and use it with the free open source HCFR software and will more than likely end up with a better picture on your B6 than you now have. If you are the OCD type and demand more accuracy (like many of us here ) you will likely want to spend more money and purchase a profiled i1D3 from either ChromaPure (which I use) or Calman. By profiled I mean the i1D3 you purchase is calibrated against many different display technology types. It turns out that the spectral properties of varying screen types (LCD,Plasma,OLED,Quantum Dot etc.) are quite different from one another and for greatest measurement accuracy the field device you are using (in this case the i1D3) needs to be corrected for each display type using a spectrophotometer as a reference since the spectro is more accurate for measuring colors than the i1D3 but the spectro is generally not as sensitive under lower light conditions as is the i1D3. So once you apply the corrections for a given display type in the calibration software it's as if the profiled i1D3 is mimicking the more color accurate reference spectro which should result in more accurate measurements.

A rough cost breakdown is as follows:

Cheapest: Retail i1D3 + free HCFR software ~$200

More Expensive: Profiled i1D3 + ChromaPure Standard (or Calman Enthusiast) ~$600

Most Expensive: Retail i1D3 + ChromaPure Standard + Profiled Used Spectro ~$800

If you are interested in the ChromaPure software their web site is: www.chromapure.com

An excellent ChromaPure guide for beginners is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Soundbar

Last edited by RickD_99; 03-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
More Expensive: Profiled i1D3 + ChromaPure Standard (or Calman Enthusiast) ~$600
[/QUOTE]

More expensive: Chromapure + an Individually Profiled i1D3 (Chromapure calibrates the I1D3 with a number of displays and supplies corrections for this specific meter)

If you buy a specrto I1Pro(x) there is no need to buy a profiled I1D3 since the spectro is used to create corrections.

I know that Chromapure corrections are meter specific. I am not sure if the Calman provides meter specific corrections. They may be generic corrections for the display type.

- Rich

Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Hi 256K:

The short answer is yes the i1D3 will work for you (it's worked very well for me up to now). What you have to decide for yourself is to what degree in time and money are you willing to spend to chase down the calibration rabbit hole. If you want to spend the bare minimum you could just purchase a retail i1D3 and use it with the free open source HCFR software and will more than likely end up with a better picture on your B6 than you now have. If you are the OCD type and demand more accuracy (like many of us here ) you will likely want to spend more money and purchase a profiled i1D3 from either ChromaPure (which I use) or Calman. By profiled I mean the i1D3 you purchase is calibrated against many different display technology types. It turns out that the spectral properties of varying screen types (LCD,Plasma,OLED,Quantum Dot etc.) are quite different from one another and for greatest measurement accuracy the field device you are using (in this case the i1D3) needs to be corrected for each display type using a spectrophotometer as a reference since the spectro is more accurate for measuring colors than the i1D3 but the spectro is generally not as sensitive under lower light conditions as is the i1D3. So once you apply the corrections for a given display type in the calibration software it's as if the profiled i1D3 is mimicking the more color accurate reference spectro which should result in more accurate measurements.

A rough cost breakdown is as follows:

Cheapest: Retail i1D3 + free HCFR software ~$200

Most Expensive: Profiled i1D3 + ChromaPure Standard + Profiled Used Spectro ~$1000

If you are interested in the ChromaPure software their web site is: www.chromapure.com

An excellent ChromaPure guide for beginners is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322
Too late i missed the chance to get it for tomorrow, so will have to wait to monday...

The case is, i'm from spain so... Those calibrated i1D3 are not suitable for me (Customs will make me pay like a LOT of money...)

I've seen something interesting... So i want advise before buying anything, and maybe is interesting for someone else

Spectracal RGB -> 95$ right now https://store.portrait.com/software/calman-rgb.html
Spectracal Enthusiast -> 399$ https://store.portrait.com/software/...nthusiast.html
But Spectracal RGB to Enthusiast upgrade is 199$ https://store.portrait.com/calman-up...siast-188.html

Which means that you can obtain Spectracal Enthusiast for 105$ less, paying the same as if you buy Spectracal Control https://store.portrait.com/software/calman-control.html

So.. The answer is, it is worth to pay the money for Spectracal software? because yes, i want to calibrate my B6, but also my family TV's and friend TV's, and i dont know if the i1D3 also needs some complex tweak each time i use it or if it's just plug and play (Just use the software)

Thanks to everyone for the answers, really aprecciate it and sorry for my bad english xD
Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Oppo Beta Group

^
It seems like Calman and Chromapure have some "customization" of meters.

Calman has a version of the I1Dispaly OEM that is rebranded and may include other changes. It is not clear, to what extent this provides better performance.
Calman has display type selection that applies offsets.

Chromapure sells the I1Display with individual calibration for many display types using reference meters. For the I1Display EOM, I do not see "standard" corrections.

I chose to buy standard meters: I1Display and I1Pro2 to perform corrections from all my displays. Once that decision was made, the software is choice comes down to preference.
IMO Chromapure is easier to use than Calman.

- Rich

Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
^

Calman has a version of the I1Dispaly OEM that is rebranded and may include other changes. It is not clear, to what extent this provides better performance.
Calman has display type selection that applies offsets.

Chromapure sells the I1Display with individual calibration for many display types using reference meters. For the I1Display EOM, I do not see "standard" corrections.

I chose to buy standard meters: I1Display and I1Pro2 to perform corrections from all my displays. Once that decision was made, the software is choice comes down to preference.

- Rich
For me the only way to buy the i1D3 is just buying it on https://www.amazon.es/X-rite-i1Displ.../dp/B0055MBQOW

So... in regards to Chromapure software, it seems less....worked? i mean, Calman has realtime meassurements, animated and all that to see it in real time, thats why i ask if it's worth the money for me buy Calman Enthusiast with the offer i've posted before (pay 105$ less than i should for Enthusiast), or Chromapure

But again, i'm more lost than a SOB on the day of the father so... You guys are the ones who knows more than me

Last edited by 256k; 03-23-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you buy a specrto I1Pro(x) there is no need to buy a profiled I1D3 since the spectro is used to create corrections.

- Rich
Correct you are sir and I have edited my post.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Soundbar
Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
For me the only way to buy the i1D3 is just buying it on https://www.amazon.es/X-rite-i1Displ.../dp/B0055MBQOW

So... in regards to Chromapure software, it seems less....worked? i mean, Calman has realtime meassurements, animated and all that to see it in real time, thats why i ask if it's worth the money for me buy Calman Enthusiast with the offer i've posted before, or Chromapure

But again, i'm more lost than a SOB on the day of the father so... You guys are the ones who knows more than me

Calman is very flexible with many workflows. I am not expert but ended up with more steps than I need. From the 20-point screen I had to right-click on the measurement chart and change the style to bar and single point to adjust individual points. Calman has a ton of features and the ability to load custom workflows.

Chromapure has a grayscale calibration screen that shows all points after an initial sweep and then you can select each point and there is an easy to read RBG balance display. Chromapure, has a main screen where you do whatever you want. It does not walk you through a workflow (which may be good or bad). I like the Chromapure approach better.

- Rich

Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^

- Rich
Yeah the profiled i1D3 I purchased from Tom Huffman at ChromaPure ships with about a dozen or so display type presets. When you first start up ChromaPure you select the specific type (OLED in our case) of display you are calibrating. The reason I decided to purchase a used i1Pro spectro relates to the recent discussions here by John regarding the large display to display variances he was observing when calibrating OLEDs, even within the same model. How can I be sure the OLED profile associated with my i1D3 is accurate for my specific C6P given John's observations? I hope to settle this issue when my i1Pro arrives back from ChromaPure.

I also agree that for the hobbyist/DIYer ChromaPure is best and I also think the more personalized level of service we get from Tom Huffman is icing on the cake.
RichB and jrref like this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Soundbar
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Calman is very flexible with many workflows. I am not expert but ended up with more steps than I need. From the 20-point screen I had to right-click on the measurement chart and change the style to bar and single point to adjust individual points. Calman has a ton of features and the ability to load custom workflows.

Chromapure has a grayscale calibration screen that shows all points after an initial sweep and then you can select each point and there is an easy to read RBG balance display. Chromapure, has a main screen where you do whatever you want. It does not walk you through a workflow (which may be good or bad). I like the Chromapure approach better.

- Rich
So... you think Chromapure 3 is better than Calman then?, for the cost of Calman Enthusiast offer (300$), can i have then the same features on Chromapure 3?, the idea is to install it on my laptop and take the retail i1D3 (the one from amazon) to my family/friends house and calibrate their tv's

I need to know carefully what to do... all i've always seen is Calman, never seen chromapure 3 in action, only on screens and it looked a bit... weird in comparison

I know i'm not buying the best calibration tool, but at least i want to buy a decent software

You guys talk about chromapure with i1D3, but have in count that i cannot buy their i1D3, but the standard one

Still think that the enthusiast option of calman (value 400 but for 300 doing that trick) seems a better offer, hmm... gonna see videos to decide what to do...

Last edited by 256k; 03-23-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Yeah the profiled i1D3 I purchased from Tom Huffman at ChromaPure ships with about a dozen or so display type presets. When you first start up ChromaPure you select the specific type (OLED in our case) of display you are calibrating. The reason I decided to purchase a used i1Pro spectro relates to the recent discussions here by John regarding the large display to display variances he was observing when calibrating OLEDs, even within the same model. How can I be sure the OLED profile associated with my i1D3 is accurate for my specific C6P given John's observations? I hope to settle this issue when my i1Pro arrives back from ChromaPure.

I also agree that for the hobbyist/DIYer ChromaPure is best and I also think the more personalized level of service we get from Tom Huffman is icing on the cake.
When you get your i1Pro, compare it to the profiles in the i1D3 and let us know what you see. I've calibrated and profiled a couple more OLEDs, and I have even more data that shows they vary panel to panel. So if you want the most accuracy, best to profile your meter.
RichB and RIppolito like this.

John
Sony 55A1E / LG 55OLEDE6P
Marantz 7009
Ohm Walsh Speakers
ISF Level II Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement