What are the better motion test available for adjusting LG OLEDs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By ConnecTEDDD
  • 1 Post By Kamikaze_Ice
  • 2 Post By BertL
  • 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 727
What are the better motion test available for adjusting LG OLEDs?

I started a thread to accumulate motion settings for the 2016 LG OLEDs and so far, they seem to be all over the place.

I'd like to find a set of motion test that several of us can use to see if we can find some commonality in settings.

What do you use that would help fine tune motion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
Every interpolation calculation generated from LG algorithm is producing artifacts, to notice them you can use motion resolution patterns, there some calibration disks released in Japan where you can find motion evaluation patterns.

Here are some screens from the some of the Reference Video Patterns I'm always using to check a Panel/Enhancements performance.... to identity resolution loss, frame skipping, motion artifacts, ghosting etc. There videos at various speeds.

Hi-Definition Reference Disc (Blu-Ray) for 4 motion resolution patterns it has.

With Free Shipping Here:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/hi-def...0-en/info.html

BD-FPD Benchmark Software for Professional (Blu-Ray) for Resolution Tests 4 Checking Motion Performance.

HQV Benchmark (Blu-Ray) for Jaggies Test Patterns.

Super HiVi Cast Check & Adjustment (Blu-Ray) for Moving Circle Tests, Rotation Striped Square Tests.....This disk has a lot of tests i don't remember all...

There a lot motion evaluation videos @ Panasonic Demo disks.

For 24p, the Samsung HD Reference Software (1st Edition) has a lot of clips: http://www.demo-world.eu/2012/04/10/...e-1st-edition/

BTW you can use some tests available here: http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

I took the photo below @ 2013, it was my disk collection (now I have more):

harlekin and anta1974 like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Mr. Aspiotis mentioned my favorite as a video gamer. (Testufo).
In particular, I mainly use this particular one:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=mprt

There's quite a few different ones there so try em all out. Be sure to play with the settings of each to fine tune each one to the display it's on.

***EDIT***
lost the first part of my post (added below instead)

And also like he mentioned, you'll get artifacts no mater what you do with TruMotion settings.
I've not played with it much on my E6, but with my LM7600 I would use Clear Plus mode. I couldn't prove it, but I think Clear Plus was doing black frame insertion or backlight strobing as the picture was significantly dimmer compared to clear, smooth and User options.
The few times I did use User settings, Judder is set to 0 (over 3 produces soap opera effect. ew.) and De-Blur would be adjusted to content (typically up to ~3 kept motion artifacts low enough while still improving motion resolution).
In the end though, I just said screw up and built a better PC to handle motion processing (HTPC user and gamer here) and I try to avoid anything lower than 60 frames per second. I only use a "PC" mode (PC name on LM7600, PC Icon mode for E6).
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Last edited by Kamikaze_Ice; 01-20-2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Lost part of my post...

post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Its been a few months so I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Any other test disk that has been released?

Klein K-10A, CR250, i1D3, i1Pro2, Calman Enthusiast, LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, and a great wife that puts up with all this.:)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Its been a few months so I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Any other test disk that has been released?
Nothing new has came out.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi-Definition Reference Disc (Blu-Ray) for 4 motion resolution patterns it has.

With Free Shipping Here:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/hi-def...0-en/info.html

BD-FPD Benchmark Software for Professional (Blu-Ray) for Resolution Tests 4 Checking Motion Performance.

HQV Benchmark (Blu-Ray) for Jaggies Test Patterns.

Super HiVi Cast Check & Adjustment (Blu-Ray) for Moving Circle Tests, Rotation Striped Square Tests.....This disk has a lot of tests i don't remember all...
Appreciate your advice and perspective as always. Like others I suspect, I'm interested in finding a good pattern or two to help check motion & jaggies. My Murideo Fresco SIX-G generator has a moving vertical bar, a moving horizontal bar, and a slowly bouncing white ball, but they just don't do what I suspect many of the old patterns do in your collection.

For others, Ted's collection is vast, but I think may be more of a personal historical archive vs. something the rest of us will be able to find today for our own use. E.g.
  • Hi-Definition Reference Disc via YesAsia: I tried to order one yesterday at a whopping $94 US. My PayPal account was refunded a few hours later, and I received an email the disc is no longer available.
  • BD-FPD Benchmark Software: Unable to find a place to purchase via Amazon, eBay or WWW search.
  • HQV Benchmark: From 2010 via IDT. The referenced HQV.com site has certificate issues, so I didn't go further in my exploration that way. Unable to find a place to purchase via Amazon, eBay or WWW search.
  • Super HiVi -- $377 US from a single Amazon 3rd party, shipping from Japan for another $4 US. Ah Ha. Way too pricy for my pocketbook.
Ted, perhaps you should consider a V1.2 or V2 of your calibration disc which includes a couple of your own new test patterns for motion and jaggies! I'm ready to upgrade and have not yet received my V1.2 disc you are just mailing out today. What an opportunity!
ConnecTEDDD and mo949 like this.

Bert
Denon AVR-X4300H | Sony XBR-55A1E OLED | Def Tech 7.2: Mythos 2 *2, Mythos 3, DI 6.5R *4, SC4000 *2 | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV (16GB 2017) | DirecTV (1080) HR44 & C51 | Panamax M5300-PM | AC Infinity T8 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Monoprice 6' Cert Prem Hi Speed & BJC 25' Series-1 Cert Hi Speed HDMI Cables
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2017, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Appreciate your advice and perspective as always. Like others I suspect, I'm interested in finding a good pattern or two to help check motion & jaggies. My Murideo Fresco SIX-G generator has a moving vertical bar, a moving horizontal bar, and a slowly bouncing white ball, but they just don't do what I suspect many of the old patterns do in your collection.

For others, Ted's collection is vast, but I think may be more of a personal historical archive vs. something the rest of us will be able to find today for our own use. E.g.
  • Hi-Definition Reference Disc via YesAsia: I tried to order one yesterday at a whopping $94 US. My PayPal account was refunded a few hours later, and I received an email the disc is no longer available.
  • BD-FPD Benchmark Software: Unable to find a place to purchase via Amazon, eBay or WWW search.
  • HQV Benchmark: From 2010 via IDT. The referenced HQV.com site has certificate issues, so I didn't go further in my exploration that way. Unable to find a place to purchase via Amazon, eBay or WWW search.
  • Super HiVi -- $377 US from a single Amazon 3rd party, shipping from Japan for another $4 US. Ah Ha. Way too pricy for my pocketbook.
Ted, perhaps you should consider a V1.2 or V2 of your calibration disc which includes a couple of your own new test patterns for motion and jaggies! I'm ready to upgrade and have not yet received my V1.2 disc you are just mailing out today. What an opportunity!
Hi Bart,

I was lucky to collect them all the correct time, when they were available.

I have shipped your Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk 1.1 copy yesterday.

I will see what I can add useful about motion evaluation patterns to a future release.
mo949 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page