HCFR results,hep interpret results - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dominic Chan
post #1 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HCFR results,hep interpret results

I have a HIsense 65cu6200 model that I have been trying to calibrate but I have been struggling with it.

It lacks gamma controls so trying to get the gamma using the 10pt white balance has been a challenge that I have not been able to overcome yet.
So I would like those that have alot more experience and know how to read the numbers to take a look at my readings and offer some advice that I could use to get the desired results.
I have included the greyscale sweep after I set the 2pt white balance and the sweep after attempted to the 10pt WB to work Gamma.
I also included the TV settings after that.
The TV suffers from color displacement with the blue so the blue tv set number for 80% is actually the 90% IRE value.
The max values for the TV 2pt wb is -20/20 and 10pt is -10/10.

Is it possible that its my 2pt wb gain that is wrong to begin with wth so much red? should I have left the green at zero?
Any ideas that I could try?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01-28-2017 2pt.zip (11.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: zip 01-28-2017 10pt bfr 100%.zip (38.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: zip tv settings.zip (6.6 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
I have a HIsense 65cu6200 model that I have been trying to calibrate but I have been struggling with it.

It lacks gamma controls so trying to get the gamma using the 10pt white balance has been a challenge that I have not been able to overcome yet.
So I would like those that have alot more experience and know how to read the numbers to take a look at my readings and offer some advice that I could use to get the desired results.
I have included the greyscale sweep after I set the 2pt white balance and the sweep after attempted to the 10pt WB to work Gamma.
I also included the TV settings after that.
The TV suffers from color displacement with the blue so the blue tv set number for 80% is actually the 90% IRE value.
The max values for the TV 2pt wb is -20/20 and 10pt is -10/10.

Is it possible that its my 2pt wb gain that is wrong to begin with wth so much red? should I have left the green at zero?
Any ideas that I could try?
I'm a newbie, but I'll offer some thoughts to help you get the ball rolling.

How exactly are you calibrating that 2-point control? I believe you should be using 20% and 80% for low and high points. If you're only targeting 100%, this could be at least part of the problem.

That said, what exactly is wrong with the 10-point calibration you have done? I think the charts look pretty good, and gamma seems to track nicely if you were aiming for BT.1886.
post #3 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemphil View Post
I'm a newbie, but I'll offer some thoughts to help you get the ball rolling.

How exactly are you calibrating that 2-point control? I believe you should be using 20% and 80% for low and high points. If you're only targeting 100%, this could be at least part of the problem.

That said, what exactly is wrong with the 10-point calibration you have done? I think the charts look pretty good, and gamma seems to track nicely if you were aiming for BT.1886.
I am also a newbie and I appreciate your feedback.
The 2pt control I use the 100% for gain and 30% for offsets because I read to use 80/20 only if theres no 10pt controls.
As for the 10point the gamma curve is slighty over the ideal and it shoots up with the 90%.
And if you look at the tv settings 90% I have pretty much used up all the red 7 and green 8 so theres no more room to do anything with it. Another inconsitency with this is that at 70 and 80 I am actually using negative values for both red and green and 90 its the opposite.it doesnt make sense to me.

post #4 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I am also a newbie and I appreciate your feedback.
The 2pt control I use the 100% for gain and 30% for offsets because I read to use 80/20 only if theres no 10pt controls.
As for the 10point the gamma curve is slighty over the ideal and it shoots up with the 90%.
And if you look at the tv settings 90% I have pretty much used up all the red 7 and green 8 so theres no more room to do anything with it. Another inconsitency with this is that at 70 and 80 I am actually using negative values for both red and green and 90 its the opposite.it doesnt make sense to me.
I don't understand why you would not use 80/20 regardless. I see it like this: the 2-point control is for getting the average greyscale in check, and the 10-point is for fine tuning. If you correct 80% with the gain, most of the values in the high end should be correct and less likely to have large errors (60-70% in your case). I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will come correct me; I'm kind of hoping they will so you get some useful help :P

I see, so you're aiming for quite a high gamma. Average 2.2? I wouldn't worry too much about gamma at around 90% - you'll have a hard time noticing any detail loss at that level. Your positive and negative values won't make sense because you're using 100% during the 2-point. That is obviously where the signal is strongest, so you're having to force the values close to 100% where correcting 80% during 2-point would probably fix this.

Another point to mention. I have a TV with only a 2-pointer at the moment, but with my old set (20-point) I could move all the values at a particular % up or down to increase/decrease gamma. So, at 10%-20%, increase each value by say 3 points and see if it raises the gamma.
post #5 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
That's correct. The question is what prompted you to make these adjustments that don't make sense. If you look at the RGB curves after 2pt, 90% only require a slight cut in red and green, but instead you boosted red and green to +7 and +8.
Since your TV exhibits the "control displacement" issue, it does become more time consuming to "characterize" the controls.
I suggest that you
1. reset the 2pt and 10pt WB controls to their default positions
2. readjust 2pt using 10% and 100% (i.e., essential the two extremes excluding 0)
3. for the 10-pt, adjust only the 30% and 70% and nothing else (for the time being, to characterize the controls).
4. run a complete greyscale sweep and post the results.
holdemphil likes this.
post #6 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemphil View Post
I don't understand why you would not use 80/20 regardless. I see it like this: the 2-point control is for getting the average greyscale in check, and the 10-point is for fine tuning. If you correct 80% with the gain, most of the values in the high end should be correct and less likely to have large errors (60-70% in your case). I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will come correct me; I'm kind of hoping they will so you get some useful help :P

I see, so you're aiming for quite a high gamma. Average 2.2? I wouldn't worry too much about gamma at around 90% - you'll have a hard time noticing any detail loss at that level. Your positive and negative values won't make sense because you're using 100% during the 2-point. That is obviously where the signal is strongest, so you're having to force the values close to 100% where correcting 80% during 2-point would probably fix this.

Another point to mention. I have a TV with only a 2-pointer at the moment, but with my old set (20-point) I could move all the values at a particular % up or down to increase/decrease gamma. So, at 10%-20%, increase each value by say 3 points and see if it raises the gamma.
I have been reding quite a lot and what I got from it is that with sets that have a 10pt WB to use 100/30 combination and thats what I have been doing but perhaps 80/20 is the better way, I hope to read a more definitive answer about it.
As for the gamma I am trying to get closest to the bt1086 standard. My set doesnt have gamma controls only the 10pt WB which is what I use to work Gamma.
Im intrigued with your 80/20 comment...
post #7 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
That's correct. The question is what prompted you to make these adjustments that don't make sense. If you look at the RGB curves after 2pt, 90% only require a slight cut in red and green, but instead you boosted red and green to +7 and +8.
Since your TV exhibits the "control displacement" issue, it does become more time consuming to "characterize" the controls.
I honestly didnt even realize it until I was commenting holdemphil that red and green went the other way from the other close IRE.

Quote:
I suggest that you
1. reset the 2pt and 10pt WB controls to their default positions
2. readjust 2pt using 10% and 100% (i.e., essential the two extremes excluding 0)
3. for the 10-pt, adjust only the 30% and 70% and nothing else (for the time being, to characterize the controls).
4. run a complete greyscale sweep and post the results.
I will get this for you tonight.
post #8 of 29 Unread 01-29-2017, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

The results are in.

I did the steps mentioned by Dominic.
My tv settings end up being:
2pt

r off 2
g off 4
b off 6
r gain 7
g gain 0
b gain -12
2pt
30% 1 3 -4 (no displacement for blue)
70% -9 -9 0 (6 blue in the 60% pattern)

I have included the results for default, no sweep and sweep for 2pt 10/100 and no sweep and sweep for 2pt 30/70.
Hopefully you can understand what the heck this tv is doing.
Thank you so much.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 default.zip (1.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 2pt 10-100 no sweep.zip (6.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 2pt 10-100 sweep.zip (6.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 10pt 30-70 no sweep.zip (10.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 10pt 30-70 sweep.zip (10.0 KB, 9 views)
post #9 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The results are in.
I will take a look at the results tonight, but have some quick questions on what you did:
Quote:
r off 2
g off 4
b off 6
2-pt is used to correct the white balance, i.e., to make r=g=b. Thus, as a rule, for offset or gain, one should not be adjusting all 3 values in the same direction as you did (offset +2, +4, +6). Note, however, this is not the main issue you're dealing with so you don't have to re-do it right now.

Quote:
2pt
30% 1 3 -4 (no displacement for blue)
70% -9 -9 0 (6 blue in the 60% pattern)
I'm not quite sure what these steps mean. What I asked you to do was to do a 2-pt (offset and gain), followed by a 10-pt but only adjusting the 30% and 70% controls.
post #10 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I will take a look at the results tonight, but have some quick questions on what you did:

2-pt is used to correct the white balance, i.e., to make r=g=b. Thus, as a rule, for offset or gain, one should not be adjusting all 3 values in the same direction as you did (offset +2, +4, +6). Note, however, this is not the main issue you're dealing with so you don't have to re-do it right now.
I started with gain for 100% ire and then the 10% and went back and forth until I got the lowest DE possible and close to 100% for the rgb targets and XY of .313/.330.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what these steps mean. What I asked you to do was to do a 2-pt (offset and gain), followed by a 10-pt but only adjusting the 30% and 70% controls.
Those are the R G B values on the TV settings for the 30 and 70. all the other steps are at 0. I incuded that info as a complement hoping that it helps understanding how it works.
So with no other adjustments the 70% is pretty much maxed up on the green and red. (maximum for tv is -10/10)

Last edited by HammerJoe; 01-30-2017 at 06:07 AM.
post #11 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I started with gain for 100% ire and then the 10% and went back and forth until I got the lowest DE possible and close to 100% for the rgb targets and XY of .313/.330.
For 2pt you only want to adjust WB, not the Y value. So during 2-pt, only make sure R=G=Y (same as getting xy values correct). Since you have changed the Preference to include Y in the dE calculation, do NOT aim for low dE unless you change the Preference back to the default setting. You can see that your black level has been elevated after your 2-pt, which should NOT happen.
post #12 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For 2pt you only want to adjust WB, not the Y value. So during 2-pt, only make sure R=G=Y (same as getting xy values correct). Since you have changed the Preference to include Y in the dE calculation, do NOT aim for low dE unless you change the Preference back to the default setting. You can see that your black level has been elevated after your 2-pt, which should NOT happen.
I will check again tonight but for the 10% 2pt to get close to the xy .313/329 i end up with the higher rgb target at the 103% mark but you got me confused with getting R=G=Y.
Is that the rgb levels in hcfr in the measures window and you want me to get as close as possible to 100% on all three?

I really didnt look at Y value. I was trying to get the xy close to mark and the low dE.
If i understood you correctly for 2 pt the only goal is to gey rgb target close to 100% and ignore dE and xy mark .313/.329? Is this right?

Last edited by HammerJoe; 01-30-2017 at 07:07 AM.
post #13 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will check again tonight but for the 10% 2pt to get close to the xy .313/329 i end up with the higher rgb target at the 103% mark but you got me confused with getting R=G=Y.
For WB (which is what the 2pt adjustment does), there is absolutely no difference between "xy = .313/329" and "R=G=Y", so it doesn't matter whether you look at one or the other.

Quote:
Is that the rgb levels in hcfr in the measures window and you want me to get as close as possible to 100% on all three?
No, just get them to be equal to each other by adjusting 2 of the 3 colours. The actual value does not matter for 2pt and you should NOT adjust all three to try to bring them to 100%. In your particular case, I would not even touch the offset as they were already very close.

Quote:
I really didnt look at Y value. I was trying to get the xy close to mark and the low dE.
Since you set the dE Preference to "Absolute w/Gamma", getting low dE will require changing the Y, whether you were looking at Y or not.

Quote:
If i understood you correctly for 2 pt the only goal is to gey rgb target close to 100% and ignore dE and xy mark .313/.329? Is this right?
No, just to have them equal to each other by changing 2 colours, do NOT try to get them to 100% with your current Preference setting. If you find this confusing, just change the Preference back to Default while doing the 2pt.
xy mark will automatically be .313/.329 when R=G=B.
post #14 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For WB (which is what the 2pt adjustment does), there is absolutely no difference between "xy = .313/329" and "R=G=Y", so it doesn't matter whether you look at one or the other.

No, just get them to be equal to each other by adjusting 2 of the 3 colours. The actual value does not matter for 2pt and you should NOT adjust all three to try to bring them to 100%. In your particular case, I would not even touch the offset as they were already very close.
This is different and changes everything for me with the 2pt.

The offset being the 10% IRE,so if I wanted to take you literally I would try to get red and blue to the same value as green as an example. Did I get that right?
This goes back to you saying to leave the green alone usually.

What about Gain at 100%. Theres a big gap between blue and the other two. What would you do?
is the best option to match red and blue to green as well?

When I go back to try again to work the set is the 100/30 IRE still the best combo for 2PT or the 80/20 IRE as mentioned by Holdeemphil?

Quote:
No, just to have them equal to each other by changing 2 colours, do NOT try to get them to 100% with your current Preference setting. If you find this confusing, just change the Preference back to Default while doing the 2pt.
xy mark will automatically be .313/.329 when R=G=B.
This is why you are being such a tremendous help and I really appreciate your patience with me. it all looks so simple from the outside but once we start digging into it it becomes alot harder.

I will redo the sweeps tonight again using what you asked yesterday and now with your explanation for 2pt and show you the results and then we talk about 10pt.

(As a side note, with the recommended preference for 2PT I would be trying to get RGB close to 100% and lowest dE? This would get xy to 0.313/0.329?)
post #15 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The offset being the 10% IRE,so if I wanted to take you literally I would try to get red and blue to the same value as green as an example. Did I get that right?
Yes. Some of my earlier statements may need some clarification, but I don't think I have said anything previously that contracts my current suggestions.

Quote:
What about Gain at 100%. Theres a big gap between blue and the other two. What would you do?
is the best option to match red and blue to green as well?
There are two commonly quoted "rules" for gain adjustment:
1. Adjust R & B only, do not touch G
2. Only decrease gains, do not increase them.
Obviously there are cases where you cannot satisfy both. Your current gain settings (7, 0, -12) are probably OK, as long as there is no clipping. The alternative would be to cut G (e.g., 0, -7, -19) although in your case you may run out of range for B, and also run into worse control displacement.

Quote:
When I go back to try again to work the set is the 100/30 IRE still the best combo for 2PT or the 80/20 IRE as mentioned by Holdeemphil?
You can try that in a separate "experiment", but for now just adjust gains while monitor 100 IRE. I wouldn't bother with the offset given the small error that can easily be corrected with the 10pt.

Quote:
This is why you are being such a tremendous help and I really appreciate your patience with me. it all looks so simple from the outside but once we start digging into it it becomes alot harder.
One can't always use the "cookie cutter" approach. Need to understand what needs to be done, before deciding on how to do it.

Quote:
(As a side note, with the recommended preference for 2PT I would be trying to get RGB close to 100% and lowest dE? This would get xy to 0.313/0.329?)
Yes. I don't know why that would even be a question, with everything else that's been said.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-30-2017 at 04:04 PM.
post #16 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have included the results for default, no sweep and sweep for 2pt 10/100 and no sweep and sweep for 2pt 30/70.
Hopefully you can understand what the heck this tv is doing.
Presumably "2pt 30/70" is actually "10pt 30/70"
I think that the results are quite reasonable, i.e., the TV seems to respond to the each adjustment in a fairly standard manner. The only exception is the 70% 10pt - R/G/B of -9/-9/0 resulted in decrease of R & G (as expected) but also a comparable increase in B.

As a side note, you may want to calibrate to a flat gamma of 2.3 to start with, to see if you like the picture quality. Although BT.1886 is supposed to be the new standard, it is quite controversial and is harder to calibrate, as the whole gamma curve will shift when the black level changes.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-30-2017 at 04:03 PM.
post #17 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

If you have 10pt white balance controls, you calibrate your 2pt white balance using 100%/30%, 80%/ 30% is for TV's with 2pt controls only. The low end could be 20% or 30% , this is usually based on your meters low end sensitivity. When you calibrate 2pt white balance you are adjusting the grey scale at 2 points but there is a trickle effect that can lower the dE of all the other points when you take a full grey scale sweep. Don't touch Green in the 2pt calibration, adjust Red and Blue to match Green. When it comes to the 10pt white balance you adjust 90%-10% Red and Blue to Green. Then when it's time to do the Gamma. You adjust Green in the 10pt at each step to the target Y and then adjust Red and Blue to D65 313x 329y.
post #18 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

So I redid the 2pt as per our conversation earlier.
I even had the time to see what the resuts looked like when leaving blue, green and red at zero.

Then I did the 10pt on 30 and 70ire.

So what do you think? Its safe for me to start over and do a 2pt on 100/30 and then 10pt?

With the 10pt I do want to get rgb level close to 100% as possible and low dE right?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 2pt red0 aftn.zip (5.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 2pt blue0 aftn.zip (8.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 10pt green0 aftn.zip (6.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: zip 01-30-2017 2pt green0 aftn.zip (13.5 KB, 8 views)
post #19 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I redid the 2pt as per our conversation earlier.
I even had the time to see what the resuts looked like when leaving blue, green and red at zero.
I also need to see the corresponding TV settings for green0, similar to what you posted earlier.
It only needs some minor tuning, mostly at 10, 50, 60 IRE.

Quote:
So what do you think? Its safe for me to start over and do a 2pt on 100/30 and then 10pt?
You can try them if you want, but I don't calibrate that way.

Quote:
With the 10pt I do want to get rgb level close to 100% as possible and low dE right?
With the "Absolute Y w/Gamma" setting, you don't need to worry about dE directly. Just get all RGB levels to 100% and dE will automatically be low.
Judging from the interim results (10pt green0) you shouldn't need to make large adjustments.
Leave 90 IRE for now.
post #20 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also need to see the corresponding TV settings for green0, similar to what you posted earlier.
Here they are:

r g b
0 -1 -5
2 0 -4
6 4 0
0 5 20
-5 0 14
-15 -11 0

I have here the 2pt values for each color that I left at 0.

For the 10pt at 30% its 5 6 -5 and 70% its -9 -6 0 (4 at 60% for the color displacement)

I dont really like the fact that I had to bring down red and green so much so I am hoping that 60 and 80 will level it up.

Quote:
It only needs some minor tuning, mostly at 10, 50, 60 IRE.
You can try them if you want, but I don't calibrate that way.
With the "Absolute Y w/Gamma" setting, you don't need to worry about dE directly. Just get all RGB levels to 100% and dE will automatically be low.
Judging from the interim results (10pt green0) you shouldn't need to make large adjustments.
Leave 90 IRE for now.
post #21 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here they are:

r g b
0 -1 -5
2 0 -4
6 4 0
0 5 20
-5 0 14
-15 -11 0
I don't understand these numbers. Looking at the green0 numbers:
Offset: 2 0 -4
Gain: -5 0 14

That shows a huge boost in blue gain, but your TV need a huge blue cut.

Unless I misinterpreted your numbers.

BTW, for future postings, please zip all chc files into one zip file, rather than separate zip files.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-30-2017 at 07:09 PM.
post #22 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't understand these numbers. Looking at the green0 numbers:
Offset: 2 0 -4
Gain: -5 0 14

That shows a huge boost in blue gain, but your TV need a huge blue cut.

Unless I misinterpreted your numbers.

BTW, for future postings, please zip all chc files into one zip file, rather than separate zip files.
nono dont look at them as rows but as columns.
The R column is for when I left red at zero.
G for green 0
b for blue 0

So for green the result was -1 0 4 5 0 -11.

Also I have a question when setting up 2pt this way, by leaving one color at zero, does it have to be the same color for gain and offset?

Last edited by HammerJoe; 01-30-2017 at 07:21 PM.
post #23 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
nono dont look at them as rows but as columns.
The R column is for when I left red at zero.
G for green 0
b for blue 0

So for green the result was -1 0 4 5 0 -11.
The results are actually not bad even though you have adjusted only 2 of the 10 points. Try touching up (i.e., making minor adjustment) at 10, 50 and 60 and all your points will be within dE of 1.5, even including Y.

Quote:
Also I have a question when setting up 2pt this way, by leaving one color at zero, does it have to be the same color for gain and offset?
No such constraint. As mentioned previously, the objective of 2pt is just to make R=G=B, which should require adjusting 2 of the 3 colours. For your TV you shouldn't even need to adjust the offsets.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-30-2017 at 08:15 PM.
post #24 of 29 Unread 01-30-2017, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Please let me know what you think of this last one?

I think it still needs a few retouches to make it better but its something.

I also made a run at the colors, what do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01-31-2017 10pt.zip (45.4 KB, 4 views)
post #25 of 29 Unread 01-31-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please let me know what you think of this last one?

I think it still needs a few retouches to make it better but its something.

I also made a run at the colors, what do you think?
Can you post the tv settings? How do they compare with the previous settings which were "all over the map"?
post #26 of 29 Unread 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you post the tv settings? How do they compare with the previous settings which were "all over the map"?
I don't have them handy right now but they didn't jump from minus to positive lik before.

So what do you think of those readings? Good enough to call it a day?

What about the colors?
I used the 75/75 rec 709 setting and used the gcd patterns 75 lum/75 sat to use with my cms controls.

I didn't have to change much in the controls to get low dE but in the cie chart red seems off where is supposed to be but i still have decent dE.

I watched some content afterwards and it seems to me that red sometimes shows like it's crushed or over satured.
Is there anything i can do?
post #27 of 29 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have them handy right now but they didn't jump from minus to positive lik before.
It would provide invaluable information to everyone if you could describe what went wrong, when you were apparently following the standard calibration procedure but getting weird results.

Quote:
So what do you think of those readings? Good enough to call it a day?
The current results are certainly more than acceptable. Further to the 10pt greyscale sweep, You can run the near black sweep to check for black crashing between 0 and 10 IRE, and near white sweep to check for clipping.

Quote:
What about the colors?
I used the 75/75 rec 709 setting and used the gcd patterns 75 lum/75 sat to use with my cms controls.
You can run the colour saturation sweeps and ColorChecker patterns to see how your TV performs for everyday colours.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 02-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.
post #28 of 29 Unread 02-02-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Now that i found out that i have red crush and one of the ways to fix that is to lower contrast which means my grayscale and gamma going to be messed up.
In this case should i reset cms to redo wb or should i work out with the current cms values?
post #29 of 29 Unread Today, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Following the advice I got here I redid my settings with the white clipping close to 235 as possible and end up with a contrast of 50.

Thanks to that I was able to get what I think is a pretty decent gamma curve but after a week with this settings I dont feel happy with the picture.
Overall I find that shows are too dark (or darker). I cant pinpoint exactly but I find that people are too dark (not just the face, but overall, like they are not well lit).

I am wondering if for broadcast tv the bt1886 gamma is the ideal curve?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 02-08-2017 ctrst 50.zip (33.8 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration