Light Illusion Calibration Images - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Light Illusion Calibration Images

Evening everyone,

I have downloaded the image calibration image set from Light Illusion. Having read through the 'Display Calibration' bumf on the website and the 'readme' text file included with the download, I don't know where to start!

As a complete novice, can someone please guide me through what I should be looking for with each of the images for anyone else that has downloaded them and is familiar with what you get?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Has no one else downloaded the images from Light Illusion? They have been recommended on previous posts by other users here.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasburyhughesy View Post
Has no one else downloaded the images from Light Illusion? They have been recommended on previous posts by other users here.
Where do you get them?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
Where do you get them?
Here: http://www.lightillusion.com/downloads.html
post #5 of 5 Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Hi, these images are for PC/Data Levels calibration.

Blu-Ray/Satellite/Terrestial/Cable signal is using TV/Video Legal Levels (8bit signal has 256 values...Reference Black is 16, Reference White is 235...from the 1-254 transmitted 8bit signal...1,255 are used for timing.)

PC's are working in PC/Data Levels 0-255 (0 is Reference Black, 255 is Reference White)

You can't use pictures to calibrate a consumer TV's for video levels (Blu-Ray) because their image viewers are handling JPG's/PNG's or any Picture files @ 0-255 Data Levels.

This means that even if you create a pattern with reference black RGB Triplet of 16.16.16 (Reference Black @ Video Levels) and save it as JPG.....by loading from TV's USB, the TV will display it as 6.3% Gray, since reference black for Data levels is 0.0.0

Some TV's are handling differently media files playback from their USB and some times there is a mismatch with the playback that they accept from it's HDMI Inputs.

Some TV's are disabling a lot of advanced calibration controls in USB Mode; It's different the video signal processing pipeline also.

For the correct calibration way, you have to calibrate using as a source your actual movie content device (Media Player/Blu-Ray Player).

If you still want to use the USB of your TV as a pattern source, you have to test to see if it matches your player.

If you have meters/software, the best thing to do is to take some measurements (Grayscale/Saturation) from your Blu-Ray player and then use the same patterns to measure them from your USB..... Check the reports to see if the measurements from the both inputs are matching closely under meter repeatability tolerance.

Check also Contrast/Brightness/Sharpness/Clipping patterns using your Player HDMI vs. USB to see if they are matching also.

If you see that the levels/measurements are matching (count the meter repeatability also), then you will be able to use your TV's USB for displaying patterns from Media Files (MP4/MKV) instead of your actual player and later copy the settings you used at USB Input to the HDMI input your player is connected.

If you use only your USB port for movie playback then you don't need to run all these tests.

My calibration disk is available in Media Files format additionally from Blu-Ray format, or you can download the AVSHD which is free (but will less measurement options).

For instructions about how to use the LightIllussion Calibration Images look here: http://www.lightillusion.com/manual_...ots_guide.html

For some basic instructions about how to use patterns for video levels calibration look here: What is the best calibration disc???

You can see some useful tutorials here also: http://www.tlvexp.ca/tutorials/

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page