• 1 Post By Light Illusion
post #1 of 16 Unread 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Calibration

Hi

I want to get into calibrating my JVC projector and am looking for what I may need.
I have done visual but never done a real cal.
I know to do a job like the pros you need to spend thousands on software and equip. I am looking for a pkg in the $500 range that would work and I know I have seen things on here that would work
Any help would be great thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Unread 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard2 View Post
I want to get into calibrating my JVC projector and am looking for what I may need.
I have done visual but never done a real cal.
I know to do a job like the pros you need to spend thousands on software and equip. I am looking for a pkg in the $500 range that would work and I know I have seen things on here that would work
If you have an older JVC projector (prior to the 2014 models), you can buy an i1D3 and use it with HCFR which is "donation-ware". With the 2014 models (RS4910 etc) you also need a Spyder4 to run the JVC AutoCal. The latest models (RS400, RS420) etc can use a Sypder5 instead.
post #3 of 16 Unread 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have the RS400 I am not looking for freeware Looking for a good program plus is Spyder best I can do in this price range

post #4 of 16 Unread 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
is Spyder best I can do in this price range
The i1D3 is a much better meter, but for the RS400 the JVC AutoCal program only supports the Spyder4 and Spyder5.
post #5 of 16 Unread 02-21-2017, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

OK

Do I have to use the AutoCal I was just going to ask about i1D3 and CalMan software
post #6 of 16 Unread 02-21-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do I have to use the AutoCal I was just going to ask about i1D3 and CalMan software
Some controls (such as gamma) are not directly accessible from the RS400 user interface. If you don't use JVC AutoCal you have to make sure the CalMAN version you're buying can do this.
post #7 of 16 Unread 02-25-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
About Spyder 5, I'm suggesting you to stay away from any Spyder meters, save some extra money and invest when you are ready to i1Display PRO; which is proven as better instrument for more accurate results.

As you can see from the following picture (the crosses away from the REC.709 triangle of the CIE Chart are bad/failed readings) from a test Steve Shaw performed (CEO of LightIllusion) show the poor performance of Spyder 4/5 meters where they fail to read properly dark colors.

i1Display PRO is supported by all calibration software solutions like CalMAN/ChromaPure/DispcalGUI/ArgyllCMS/LightSpace HTL or free ones like HCFR or LightSpace DPS.

Here you can see Tom's Huffman (ChromaPure) test: New Spyder 5 vs. i1Display Pro / ColorMunki Display

LightSpace and CalMAN also are not recommending to use Spyder meters for accurate calibration work.

i1Display PRO has glass dichroic filters which are sealed with rubber o-rings. So by design it will extended it's meter life and prevent drifting.

X-Rite's i1Display PRO is a better choice, it has more display technologies correction tables, it's faster, more stable, better low light measurements and it's been supported by all available calibration software (CalMAN/ChromaPure/LightSpace/ArgyllCMS/DispcalGUI/HCFR)

With i11Display PRO you will be able to calibrate all your PC monitors (unlimited number) also with the X-Rite i1Profiler that is coming with the meter, something you can't do with C3 (without spending money to get CalMAN's RGB or CalMAN Enthusiast which gives you the capability to calibrate 3 different monitors).

As we know the Rev.B has updated hardware/firmware that supports a new refresh rate detection and synchronization (AIO).

The latest generation of i1Display PRO (Rev.B) it features a new refresh rate detection and synchronization AIO (All in One) measurement mode which can improve the measurement stability for certain displays and provide lower reading times.

According to feedback I have from a Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk user which is using LightSpace HTL + i1DisplayPRO Rev.B + KURO + eeColor and he has performed a lot of testing using LightSpace's 'Measure and log' where it exports in excel (CVS) file format the xyY and the measuring times per each read in milliseconds, for us to find by comparing the data's which mode and integration time settings is giving him better repeatability while it has faster measuring speed (Test Procedure Link)....we found by comparing the data's between AIO vs. Burst Mode (Rev. A using Burst mode for Plasma) from i1DisplayPRO Rev.B Meter that that new AIO mode is about 30-50% faster from Burst Mode of Rev. A from the data I have.

AIO mode is supported from only from LightSpace and ChromaPure, HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS has also custom code for providing similar results with adaptive exposure times/sync modes without using AIO mode.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #8 of 16 Unread 03-02-2017, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=ConnecTEDDD;51058689]About Spyder 5, I'm suggesting you to stay away from any Spyder meters, save some extra money and invest when you are ready to i1Display PRO; which is proven as better instrument for more accurate results.

As you can see from the following picture (the crosses away from the REC.709 triangle of the CIE Chart are bad/failed readings) from a test Steve Shaw performed (CEO of LightIllusion) show the poor performance of Spyder 4/5 meters where they fail to read properly dark colors.

i1Display PRO is supported by all calibration software solutions like CalMAN/ChromaPure/DispcalGUI/ArgyllCMS/LightSpace HTL or free ones like HCFR or LightSpace DPS.

Here you can see Tom's Huffman (ChromaPure) test: New Spyder 5 vs. i1Display Pro / ColorMunki Display

LightSpace and CalMAN also are not recommending to use Spyder meters for accurate calibration work.

i1Display PRO has glass dichroic filters which are sealed with rubber o-rings. So by design it will extended it's meter life and prevent drifting.

X-Rite's i1Display PRO is a better choice, it has more display technologies correction tables, it's faster, more stable, better low light measurements and it's been supported by all available calibration software (CalMAN/ChromaPure/LightSpace/ArgyllCMS/DispcalGUI/HCFR)

With i11Display PRO you will be able to calibrate all your PC monitors (unlimited number) also with the X-Rite i1Profiler that is coming with the meter, something you can't do with C3 (without spending money to get CalMAN's RGB or CalMAN Enthusiast which gives you the capability to calibrate 3 different monitors).

As we know the Rev.B has updated hardware/firmware that supports a new refresh rate detection and synchronization (AIO).

The latest generation of i1Display PRO (Rev.B) it features a new refresh rate detection and synchronization AIO (All in One) measurement mode which can improve the measurement stability for certain displays and provide lower reading times.

According to feedback I have from a Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk user which is using LightSpace HTL + i1DisplayPRO Rev.B + KURO + eeColor and he has performed a lot of testing using LightSpace's 'Measure and log' where it exports in excel (CVS) file format the xyY and the measuring times per each read in milliseconds, for us to find by comparing the data's which mode and integration time settings is giving him better repeatability while it has faster measuring speed (Test Procedure Link)....we found by comparing the data's between AIO vs. Burst Mode (Rev. A using Burst mode for Plasma) from i1DisplayPRO Rev.B Meter that that new AIO mode is about 30-50% faster from Burst Mode of Rev. A from the data I have.

AIO mode is supported from only from LightSpace and ChromaPure, HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS has also custom code for providing similar results with adaptive exposure times/sync modes without using AIO mode.

I would rather get the i1Pro. It was pointed out by that I would not be able to use the JVC AutoCal to correct Gamma. Is that correct?
post #9 of 16 Unread 03-03-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would rather get the i1Pro. It was pointed out by that I would not be able to use the JVC AutoCal to correct Gamma. Is that correct?
Hi, JVC's Calibration Software is working only with Spyder4 Elite/Pro as I have seen there: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html

It's not working with i1Display PRO because JVC has to pay licensing fees to X-Rite to have legal meter support.

Spyder meters policy don't require from 3rd party software developers any kind of fee..to be able to use their meters.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #10 of 16 Unread 03-03-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For auto cal you need the Spyder4/5, but you can still do manual adjustments of the gamma using your i1D3 with other software (such as HCFR).
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

JVC DLA-RS4910
HCFR Bug List

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-04-2017 at 06:31 AM.
post #11 of 16 Unread 03-04-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Any 'Autocal' is just an automated 'Manual' calibration process.
There is nothing you can do with autocal that you can't do with manual calibration.
And in reality, many autocal process produce results that are inferior to manual calibration, especially when the autocal uses an inferior probe.
(Autocal relies on the display's in-built processes to generate accurate results, and few are as accurate as you would hope.)
For manual calibration there are a number of free guides to be used with free calibration software.

For the free LightSpace DPS we have a guide here: http://www.lightillusion.com/manual_...ots_guide.html
Follow such guides, with a decent probe, will get you the best possible calibration without stepping up to 3D LUTs.
(Separately, display such as JVC D-ILA projectors really do need 3D LUTs for accurate calibration as they suffer non-linear volumetric colour issues, such as poor cross-colour decoupling. An obvious hint a display has such issues is when the internal CMS offers secondary colour controls...)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #12 of 16 Unread 03-04-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
Any 'Autocal' is just an automated 'Manual' calibration process.
There is nothing you can do with autocal that you can't do with manual calibration.
That's not necessarily true, as the required manual controls may not be accessible to the user. The 2014 JVC projectors (DLA-RS4910, RS6710, X500R, X700R, X900R etc), for example, provide only a very crude 3-band manual adjustment for the gamma (see attached picture). The Autocal, on the other hand, measures 33 points (in the Quality mode) to adjust the gamma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC_Gamma.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2005433  

JVC DLA-RS4910
HCFR Bug List
post #13 of 16 Unread 03-04-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Ah, yes - that can be true.
But I tend to define such displays as not really being fit for purpose.
There is no valid reason for such restrictions.
(Especially as the autocal operation is restricted to poor quality probes.)

Time for a 3D LUT box!

Steve
sillysally likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #14 of 16 Unread Today, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

If I go with the CalMan which version do I want to get?
I will use along with the i1Pro
post #15 of 16 Unread Today, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

You said about using 3D LUT eeColor has a box on sale for 299 If I was to buy that and Calman and i1Pro would that be good and if so which Calman would I need to get
post #16 of 16 Unread Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You said about using 3D LUT eeColor has a box on sale for 299 If I was to buy that and Calman and i1Pro would that be good and if so which Calman would I need to get
Hi,

You can use eeColor 3D LUT Box to perform Large 3D Cube Calibrations with LightSpace Full CMS / HCC / HCL / HTL / HTP / CAL / LTE / PRO / XTP or CalMAN 5 Enthusiast / Professional / Studio / Ultimate or ArgyllCMS / DisplayCAL (dispcalGUI).

You will need the colorimeter i1Display PRO to perform 3D LUT measurements because i1PRO (spectro) is slower and not good reading low luminance patches (where there a lot measured during the 3D LUT procedure). Also i1PRO (Spectro) will not be stable for the hours of measurements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration