i1 Pro Rev D Spectro Screen Mount Accessory - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cfelicio

post #1 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 122
i1 Pro Rev D Spectro Screen Mount Accessory

I just bought a used X-rite i1 Pro Rev D spectro off of ebay. Unfortunately it did not come with the weighted accessory that attaches to the device that allows it to be hung over the display being calibrated. Does anyone know a source for purchasing this accessory? So far I have searched the X-rite site, Google, and Amazon without success.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (46-0622 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Sony HT-CT660 Sound Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Try contacting X-Rite via chat or phone. Many times they require purchase via phone (for meter upgrade licenses, for instance), and this may be such a case. Hopefully you DID get the serial-numbered calibration tile with the meter.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked: 2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
I just bought a used X-rite i1 Pro Rev D spectro off of ebay. Unfortunately it did not come with the weighted accessory that attaches to the device that allows it to be hung over the display being calibrated. Does anyone know a source for purchasing this accessory? So far I have searched the X-rite site, Google, and Amazon without success.
Hi,

Mounting the i1PRO to an OLED or to any display is not a good idea, it's better to use the tripod mount accessory and take only non-contact measuremnts.

EBU TECH.3325 Publication (Methods for the Measurement of the performance of Studio Monitors) recommends the distance measuring geometry rather than the contact method.

If you have 10cm distance (or larger) from the panel it will be good, we don't need the panel to transfer it's heat to the meter. Usually users confuse warm up (it's doesn't mean to let the meter on-contact with the display to become warmer from display's hear, warm up means the meter to be connected and powered from the USB, not become warm from the panel..just leave their USB plug connected with your notebook for some time before starting measurements. The recommended warm up time is about 20-30 min. The exact time depends from the temperature conditions. It can be longer if the device came from out side in winter time and will be shorter if stored at room temperature.

If you check JETI, PhotoResearch,Minolta, reference meters, none of them is measuring in contact mode.

Hi-end spectro's with 1/2° can't measure in contact mode without specific accessory attached.

For example Minolta CS-2000A min. measuring meter placement distance is 35cm (or 5,5 cm when using close-up lens).

Photoresearch PR-680 needs 10 foot (3.05 m) long probe designed for contact measurements of luminance to provide 13.2 mm measuring area.

For example, my Klein K-10A without any accessory attached, with 10cm distance from the panel it measures an area of 5cm (FOV), to measure the same area with my JETI 1211, I have to place it with 161cm from the panel.

JETI 1211 has 1.8° FOV and is closer to SMPTE recommendation from any other instrument.

SMPTE recommends to take readings from the viewing position, but that's is not possible for the consumer probes, you need an instrument with ~2.0° field of view.

Also there some published documents that suggesting to measure about 100 pixels minimum for display calibration which is not possible for some meter in contact mode.

A high-end spectro with a viewing optics (like PhotoResearch or Minolta) or with laser aiming (like JETI) with narrow viewing angle for this job.

As you can see from the following Chart (created by <^..^>Smokey Joe), the JETI (1.8°) is closer to SMPTE recommendation from any other instrument.

The display need some warm up period also, about one hour, to stabilize, LG OLED's; the first minutes ares darker (higher gamma) until about 40-50 minutes the gamma will be changing....about 50-60 minutes...they are more stable.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

post #4 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the reply Ted. Actually I was not planning on doing a full blown calibration set using the i1Pro...I merely wanted to use the i1Pro in conjunction with ChromaPure to profile (i.e. color correct) my i1D3 colorimeter for my specific LG 55C6P OLED set. Even though I know the i1Pro is slower than the i1D3 it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to measure 4 WRGB patterns correct? So I would not think heat emanating from the OLED in this case would be a serious issue...correct me if I am mistaken on this point.

Do you know of any retail sources in Europe that might carry accessories for the discontinued i1Pro Rev D?

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Sound Bar
post #5 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Ted. Actually I was not planning on doing a full blown calibration set using the i1Pro...I merely wanted to use the i1Pro in conjunction with ChromaPure to profile (i.e. color correct) my i1D3 colorimeter for my specific LG 55C6P OLED set. Even though I know the i1Pro is slower than the i1D3 it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to measure 4 WRGB patterns correct? So I would not think heat emanating from the OLED in this case would be a serious issue...correct me if I am mistaken on this point.

Do you know of any retail sources in Europe that might carry accessories for the discontinued i1Pro Rev D?
No need to mount the i1PRO to the OLED, if you ask Tom he will suggest you the same, no-contact measurement. At past Tom posted a distance from the screen that the i1PRO was tracking closer Tom's JETI, I don't remember the exact distance and I have sold my i1PRO's to test it right now.

Even if you take only 30 sec measurements, warm-up of meters/display for one hour before the measurements it will be required.

I don't know any retailer for accessories, look ebay for used accessories if you see that you will need them, or get a tripod adaptor (I believe it's the same for i1PRO1/2): http://calman.spectracal.com/store/p...e_i1Pro_2.html

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #6 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Here you go:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...splay_LCD.html

They also sell the table/tripod mount, but at a crazy price (150$)

In all fairness I've never had any problems using contact mode with either i1pro1 or i1pro2.

Last edited by Bloodwound; 03-10-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwound View Post
Here you go:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...splay_LCD.html

In all fairness I've never had any problems using contact mode with either i1pro1 or i1pro2.
Thanks Bloodwound for the tip...just ordered from B&H. I owe you a beer...or should I make it a bloody mary?

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Sound Bar
post #8 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just to back up this observation I just ran the i1 diagnostics program from X-rite and actually placed the i1 Pro right up to my PC monitor's screen during the testing...all tests passed swimmingly! The attachment I just ordered looks like it keeps the i1 Pro sensor a few mm from the screen surface so IMHO it's not really a contact measurement anyways. Honestly my C6P OLED does not seem to get excessively hot even after hours of being on...now the Samsung D7000 plasma it replaced is a whole different animal!
That thing doubled as a space heater in the winter!

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Sound Bar
post #9 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had that accessory, it was the best accessory for calibration I ever bought, the i1Beamer, the advantage to this is that you can take dark readings without un-mounting the meter which required re-positioning/ centering the meter to your display, it has a stutter there it closes the light path and this is very helpful for long calibration runs.

So I was taking a dark-reading before each color read, when I was taking the 4 measurements required for meter profiling procedure, always non-contact for display and projectors.

Reference spectros have internal automatic shutter which takes a dark reading before each meter read also.

BTW my suggestion is to avoid any contact of your meter with your panel screen. Panels are producing heat that is not good for the meter.

The meter must be at room temperature, when the meter has stable temperature you will have stable readings over the time, when the meter is becoming warm, more noise is added to the sensors. (reducing S/N ratio)

If you see the i1PRO2 design they added an aluminum frame that works as heat sink.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Just to back up this observation I just ran the i1 diagnostics program from X-rite and actually placed the i1 Pro right up to my PC monitor's screen during the testing...all tests passed swimmingly! The attachment I just ordered looks like it keeps the i1 Pro sensor a few mm from the screen surface so IMHO it's not really a contact measurement anyways. Honestly my C6P OLED does not seem to get excessively hot even after hours of being on...now the Samsung D7000 plasma it replaced is a whole different animal!
That thing doubled as a space heater in the winter!
That it passed the diagnostics doesn't mean it accurate (but doesn't mean that it's not accurate either, it doesn't really mean anything), just that it passed whatever treshold for that particular test.

With that said, I have even used the i1pro without the attachment without any problems (just be careful not to scratch the display), just holding it in my one hand while I try to stretch all the way back with my other arm to press the enter button on my laptop..of course this was only for profiling And it worked fine, and profiled the C6/i1DPro perfectly, which previously gave a very reddish cast. So I wouldn't think twice about using the i1pro/i1pro2 with their native display attachments as long as you only use them to profile your colorimeters.

That said, it's true that a little distance would widen the FOV and cover more pixels and get a better average, and also practically eliminate the problem with only reading some of the subpixel at the edges of the FOV. But then you'd need 2 tripods (or a special double mount adapter), 2 tripod mounts for your meters, cover up your curtains, and maybe some other things. So it's a little more work and requires more time to set up, and the differences are probably not worth it for the average Joe If you doing this professionally and have pro meters, then you might want to go all the way of doing thins "right" (well you probably have no choice since pro meters are mostly made to be used with tripods).
post #11 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That it passed the diagnostics doesn't mean it accurate (but doesn't mean that it's not accurate either, it doesn't really mean anything), just that it passed whatever treshold for that particular test.

With that said, I have even used the i1pro without the attachment without any problems (just be careful not to scratch the display), just holding it in my one hand while I try to stretch all the way back with my other arm to press the enter button on my laptop..of course this was only for profiling And it worked fine, and profiled the C6/i1DPro perfectly, which previously gave a very reddish cast. So I wouldn't think twice about using the i1pro/i1pro2 with their native display attachments as long as you only use them to profile your colorimeters.

That said, it's true that a little distance would widen the FOV and cover more pixels and get a better average, and also practically eliminate the problem with only reading some of the subpixel at the edges of the FOV. But then you'd need 2 tripods (or a special double mount adapter), 2 tripod mounts for your meters, cover up your curtains, and maybe some other things. So it's a little more work and requires more time to set up, and the differences are probably not worth it for the average Joe If you doing this professionally and have pro meters, then you might want to go all the way of doing thins "right" (well you probably have no choice since pro meters are mostly made to be used with tripods).
+1

i1Diagnostics is an i1PRO diagnostics software that is doing some Reflectance measurementents using his calibration base and some Emission measurements using your PC monitor.

Reflectance Mode is used measure reflective light (printing/paper industry); to measure displays the Emissive Mode is used.

i1Diagnostics can't tell you enough information about it's performance on Emissive measurements (for Displays).

You can't see from i1Diagnosis if the meter has drift.

You have to compare it with other higher grade spectro (or a new one i1PRO2) to see it's it's accurate, the i1Diagnosis can be used only to locate a hardware problem. Even the white tile of the plate has natural aging degradation.

There special mounts where you can have both meters to one tripod, while the meters can have the same FOV, these pictures of user-made mounts for non-contact here in AVS.

post #12 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

BTW my suggestion is to avoid any contact of your meter with your panel screen. Panels are producing heat that is not good for the meter.

The meter must be at room temperature, when the meter has stable temperature you will have stable readings over the time, when the meter is becoming warm, more noise is added to the sensors. (reducing S/N ratio)

If you see the i1PRO2 design they added an aluminum frame that works as heat sink.
Ted it's a shame you got rid of your i1Pros. You have all the necessary gear to do a controlled experiment and settle this issue of contact vs non-contact measurements for all time, especially in regards to the OLED screens! Such an experiment would also tell us what is the optimum meter-to-screen distance taking into account the i1Pro's FOV.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
Sony HT-CT660 Sound Bar
post #13 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
I had that accessory, it was the best accessory for calibration I ever bought, the i1Beamer, the advantage to this is that you can take dark readings without un-mounting the meter which required re-positioning/ centering the meter to your display, it has a stutter there it closes the light path and this is very helpful for long calibration runs.

So I was taking a dark-reading before each color read, when I was taking the 4 measurements required for meter profiling procedure, always non-contact for display and projectors.

Reference spectros have internal automatic shutter which takes a dark reading before each meter read also.
Yeah, too bad the mount for the i1pro2 doesn't have that manual shutter. One reason is of course the i1pro2 always needs the white tile to do it's self calibration/initialization, you can't do an isolated dark reading AFAIK. Second is that the i1pro2 is supposed to be stable for 240min after initialization. I love the i1pro2, but that's NOT the case . Of course I wouldn't use i1pro/i1pro2 to do full a calibration anyways, only for profiling. But even after a finished calibration, you sometimes want to recheck the profiling in the end (since the meter has connected to USB all this time, it's definately has reached a stable temperature), that's easy with the i1pro mount whereas you would have to put the unmount the i1pro2 and put it on white tile plate for initalization then remount it.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, too bad the mount for the i1pro2 doesn't have that manual shutter. One reason is of course the i1pro2 always needs the white tile to do it's self calibration/initialization, you can't do an isolated dark reading AFAIK. Second is that the i1pro2 is supposed to be stable for 240min after initialization. I love the i1pro2, but that's NOT the case . Of course I wouldn't use i1pro/i1pro2 to do full a calibration anyways, only for profiling. But even after a finished calibration, you sometimes want to recheck the profiling in the end (since the meter has connected to USB all this time, it's definately has reached a stable temperature), that's easy with the i1pro mount whereas you would have to put the unmount the i1pro2 and put it on white tile plate for initalization then remount it.
My i1PRO2 was not stable for 240min, this is just a counter which can dynamically can decrease the minutes.

If you find a very stable display with LCD backlight, like an older EIZO (made in japan)..I was using to make such tests at past, it was drifting after some minutes.

After a new initialization you will see that always it will read slight differently every time.

For i1PRO1 for about 3 minutes it's good, not 10 as the counter suggesting for a new dark reading.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think this accessory is the perfect thing to be re-modeled and 3d printed. I will try to make one to mount on the tripod. $150 is crazy.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page