Brightness setting with AVS 709 very different with DVE - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Brightness setting with AVS 709 very different with DVE

I have a JVC RS67 and I am having trouble callibrating brightness. I have both DVE and AVS709 callibration discs and they yield very different results. I am not changing any other settings and the brightness callibration settings are off by 12. Brightness with DVE is -13 and with AVS709 it is -25. When playing normal Blu-rays, the content using AVS709 seems way too dark. Why would these disks lead to such different results? Are they using different standards of some sort?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Last edited by nohjy; 03-11-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Possibly one is outputting as full range the other limited.
I have struck oddities with levels before with test disks, I'd trust the DVE for outputting correctly.
For comparison the Spears and Munsil test disk is reliable as DVE.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Lincolnvilleshire
New Zealand
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post
I have a JVC RS67 and I am having trouble callibrating brightness. I have both DVE and AVS709 callibration discs and they yield very different results. I am not changing any other settings and the brightness callibration settings are off by 12. Brightness with DVE is -13 and with AVS709 it is -25. When playing normal Blu-rays, the content using AVS709 seems way too dark. Why would these disks lead to such different results? Are they using different standards of some sort?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John
Hi, are you playback both DVE+AVSHD from the same player? For example if you use AVSHD media files, your setup (player or TV input, make handle differently that, or use other settings for USB input with incorrect levels.)

Compare AVSHD in blu-ray or AVCHD format with DVE blu-ray.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, are you playback both DVE+AVSHD from the same player? For example if you use AVSHD media files, your setup (player or TV input, make handle differently that, or use other settings for USB input with incorrect levels.)

Compare AVSHD in blu-ray or AVCHD format with DVE blu-ray.
Thanks for the response! Yes I am playing them on the same Samsung BD player. It is almost as though it is treating the media differently. I don't know if this matters, but I used the AVCHD to DVD format, as I do not have a BD writer. My DVE is on Blu-ray. I have also compared the calibration done with my DVE disc to the Disney optimizer (that is on various Disney BD titles) and also to my Xbox One's built in calibration and it is spot-on. To further complicate things, it would appear that the AVS 709 calibrated settings are identical to those suggested by the THX Optimizer 2.0 (that is on the Terminator 2 Blu-ray). That said, I know the THX Optimizer has been criticized for not being very accurate or perhaps being title-specific.

Thanks again for your help!

John
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <^..^>Smokey Joe View Post
Possibly one is outputting as full range the other limited.
I have struck oddities with levels before with test disks, I'd trust the DVE for outputting correctly.
For comparison the Spears and Munsil test disk is reliable as DVE.

Smokey Joe,

I have my Blu-ray player set YcBCr 4:4:4 (there is no full or enhanced for output) and my projector is set to auto for color format and enhanced for input (HDMI). I believe you may be right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page