Not enabling 24fps on 120HZ TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 8 Unread 04-17-2017, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not enabling 24fps on blu-ray player connected to 120HZ TV

A bit of a technical question. I understand if you enable 24fps from your blu-ray player to a 60HZ TV you will get 3:2 pull down since 24 doesn't go into 60. Also enabling 24fps to a 120HZ TV will give you a 5:5 pull down. What exactly are you seeing if you turn 24fps off on your blu-ray player but your TV is 120HZ?. What pull down would you be getting? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by VG1385; 04-17-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Unread 04-18-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1385 View Post
A bit of a technical question. I understand if you enable 24fps from your blu-ray player to a 60HZ TV you will get 3:2 pull down since 24 doesn't go into 60. Also enabling 24fps to a 120HZ TV will give you a 5:5 pull down. What exactly are you seeing if you turn 24fps off on your blu-ray player but your TV is 120HZ?. What pull down would you be getting? Thanks in advance.
It isn't technically a "pulldown", since you are now dealing in full integer multiples of the scanrate (2 X 60, 4 X 30, 5 X 24, etc.).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 8 Unread 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
It isn't technically a "pulldown", since you are now dealing in full integer multiples of the scanrate (2 X 60, 4 X 30, 5 X 24, etc.).
Ahhh okay. Sorry if I sound uninformed, but I thought the point of 24fps was to eliminate the judder of 3:2 pulldown. So if there's no pulldown occurring per se in my situation, what benefit would I get from enabling 24 fps?

post #4 of 8 Unread 04-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think you misunderstood how 24 Hz works... a properly designed TV doesn't run @60 Hz when presented with 24Hz input signal. It runs at an integer multiplier of 24Hz. If you turned off 24 Hz, you'd be getting 3:2 pulldown to 60Hz signal, performed by the player, then scan-doubled (or, god forbid motion interpolated) by the TV to 120Hz... In case of motion interpolation, that would probably smooth out the 3:2 judder, but give soap opera look...
The point is, many if not most Tvs do not detect 3:2 pulldown and try to restore original frame cadence, possibly only from TV broadcast... So enabling 24Hz output from a player is always a recommended thing...

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk

Last edited by mytbyte; 04-18-2017 at 11:19 PM.
post #5 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Ahhh okay. Sorry if I sound uninformed, but I thought the point of 24fps was to eliminate the judder of 3:2 pulldown. So if there's no pulldown occurring per se in my situation, what benefit would I get from enabling 24 fps?
24 fps is the framerate of film-based content such as movies.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
I think you misunderstood how 24 Hz works... a properly designed TV doesn't run @60 Hz when presented with 24Hz input signal. It runs at an integer multiplier of 24Hz. If you turned off 24 Hz, you'd be getting 3:2 pulldown to 60Hz signal, performed by the player, then scan-doubled (or, god forbid motion interpolated) by the TV to 120Hz... In case of motion interpolation, that would probably smooth out the 3:2 judder, but give soap opera look...
The point is, many if not most Tvs do not detect 3:2 pulldown and try to restore original frame cadence, possibly only from TV broadcast... So enabling 24Hz output from a player is always a recommended thing...

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Ahhh okay. I am having the strangest experience. I mentioned in another thread that when I enabled 24fps on my blu-ray player, all of a sudden my TV had that soap opera effect look. One suggestion of editing my HDMI input seemed to fix it, but after watching for a bit I could still detect that unnatural smoothness that is associated with the soap opera effect. I made sure all motion interpolation settings are turned off on my OLED, but it still looks strange. I really want to keep 24fps on as I know everyone says that's the way movies should be viewed, but I'm not quite sure what is going on in my case to make it look smooth and sped up.
post #7 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Ahhh okay. I am having the strangest experience. I mentioned in another thread that when I enabled 24fps on my blu-ray player, all of a sudden my TV had that soap opera effect look. One suggestion of editing my HDMI input seemed to fix it, but after watching for a bit I could still detect that unnatural smoothness that is associated with the soap opera effect. I made sure all motion interpolation settings are turned off on my OLED, but it still looks strange. I really want to keep 24fps on as I know everyone says that's the way movies should be viewed, but I'm not quite sure what is going on in my case to make it look smooth and sped up.
Are you seeing artifacts? Good stress test to this would be Star Wars lightsaber battles (the lightsabers usually make motion interpolation go crazy). Another one is any movie with a scene where someone is walking in front of a fence but camera is staying still, it usually causes a bubbling halo around the moving character. If not, then it is probably not a motion interpolation you are seeing.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 07:43 PM

Liked: 12
1st time I watched a bluray properly set up for 24fps on the display I noticed a smothing effect only when panning and its much more subtle. I think its the natural effect when multiplying the franes (ex:24 x 5 = 120) but should only really notice when multiple fields of motion but I'm no expert....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration