Brightness & contrast calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Brightness & contrast calibration

Hello there.

I tried to find some good answer for this question, but without success.
The question is, how do you calibrate brightness and contrast on your monitors?
I have X-ray i1 display 2.
I saw, that CALman has options in home-express to calibrate these settings. I tried CALman studio, but my instrument is marked red. I don't know if it's because it's not supported or because it's trial version.
In DisplayCAL I didn't find similar options, nor in Basic ICColour display.
I found also, that CALman has AVCHD with blinking patterns for this calibration. And there is a lot of other visual calibrations patterns on the internet...
What would you recommend to use?
My actual monitor is LG 27MP68HM-P. It has even 6 colour settings (hue+saturation)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2017, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 815
You could try the Free LightSpace DPS for manual calibration.
See: http://www.lightillusion.com/lightspace_dps.html
And a User Guide here: http://www.lightillusion.com/manual_...ots_guide.html

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #3 of 6 Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!
I tried yesterday the method with CALman paterns, but I wasn't able to calibrate black (with full brightness it was slightly visible, but the monitor was over lighted).
When I tried the method with blackscreen and lowering the brightness until it stay black (as mentioned in FAQ), I got around 70 brightness. But then I had to increas to full some black enhancer in OSD to get the last black paterns visible.
The problem probably also is, that there is no separated backlight and brigthness control in monitor OSD. It looks like the birghtness slider is mainly backlight.
So what should I use for brightness control? RGB control? Or the six color hue/saturation control?

Thank you

post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Computer monitors usually do not have "brightness" control, but you do not have to worry about it because they are set in a factory at the correct setting where the blacks are not artificially crushed away nor the black level is elevated. As a matter of fact, this is the case with most TV's too and I honestly do not see the reason the ever touch this control, ever. Drop it down and black details get artificially clipped away, rise it and blacks get increased to grey. Black details may be easier to see but contrast ratio will be shot to hell. Anyway, If the black details are still hard to see, the reason is most likely in the gamma. Think of gamma as a curve, how fast the brightness increases as you go up from absolute black towards pure white. So high gamma is a curve that starts slow and then ramps up in brightness towards the end, resulting in popping and contrasty picture but black details are easily crushed, especially if there is something brighter on the screen which your eyes are more likely to focus on. And low gamma ramps up really fast the moment you step out of pure black, which makes black details easier to see but picture is washed out and dull, just crappy. If your monitor has a setting to adjust gamma, try it and measure the curve with the program of your choice (I use HCFR). Too high gamma (as in numbers. Usually when you turn gamma slider down "darker" in TV's/monitors the measured number increases, and other way around) results in greyscale rising in brightness slower.

Honestly, if your gamma is close to a desired target (computer monitors usually aim for 2.2 gamma) but you have trouble seeing first couple of steps of blacks in greyscale (for quick reference which I am talking about, check http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php ) I would not worry about it. They are after all "near black" and, for example, in movies they are usually nothing but noise.

Last edited by MaaZeus; 06-15-2017 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for nice explanation!
I played quickly yesterday with the gamma, I set the gama to max (didn't measure yet, because of no time and in the settings there is just gamma 0,1,2) and it was significantly better.
I will try to measure it today and I will see how it will act...

The reason why I'm asking is also, that my girlfriend has old CFL LCD, where is the contrast and brightness set strengly and she has problems when editing photos (like no details in white, to much artifacts in black...).
Otherwise the monitor was calibrated with the i1 display.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

BTW I just tried bightness and contrast on my working monitor (Dell P2414) and it even doesn't have any impact on the black nor white shades. The brightness si simply just backlight and the contrast even just change white balance o.O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
brightness contrast calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page