Color and Tint Blue Filter Calibration With Dynamic Contrast On or Off? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-17-2017, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Color and Tint Blue Filter Calibration With Dynamic Contrast On or Off?

I notice that on one of my Samsung tvs that Dynamic Contrast affects the color and tint settings using a blue filter. With it engaged at various levels, high,low,off my color and tint settings via the blue filter change. Just curious if you should calibrate color and tint controls with dynamic contrast enabled or must dynamic contrast be disabled before attempting color or tint settings?

The reason I ask is I have one TV that does not allow disabling of the dynamic contrast control so any color/tint adjustments would be made with the dynamic contrast enabled.

Last edited by proudx; 06-17-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

does anyone have an idea?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Is the filter a piece of blue tinted film or are you referring to the RGB mode where you can choose either Red, Green, Blue or Off?

What software are you using? What type of equipment do you have? What is the TV model number?

Normally many would say to turn off the Dynamic Contrast then calibrate. With a TV that does not allow the feature to be disengaged, that is different. Not being there to judge for myself the effects that the dynamic contrast has on the color/tint for the various settings that may exist, I would try the setting that has the least dramatic effect.

Unfortunately, not enough information was given to really help. This is common and yet frustrating for both parties; one desires to help and the other wants answers. Forward more information and lets try and see if the issue can be taken care of for you.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. This blue filter is from a dve Blu-ray Disc. I am using the avs709 pludge test pattern disc played back from a pc windows media player to a Samsung 40h5003 panel. I end up with color 46 and red tint of 54.

If I pull up the dynamic contrast test pattern under various other patterns I can see shifting of the greyscale on this tv under game mode. I also see it clipping colors in the higher ranges. I was able to replicate this behavior on another Samsung panel connected to a PC and was able to get rid of the dynamic contrast pumping and color clipping by setting dynamic contrast to off in the user menu. Problem is my 40h5003 has no way to disable dynamic contrast and has limited menu/user options.

The 40h5003 panel advertises this which I am pretty sure is a fancy name for dynamic contrast.

Wide Color Enhancer Plus
With Wide Color Enhancer Plus, you'll witness a wider spectrum of colors on your screen, just like the director intended. You'll enjoy enriched colors while watching your favorite movies, and shows, even if it's older, non-HD content.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

why shouldn't color calibration happen with dynamic contrast is enabled if your intention is to keep it enabled? If its calibrated with dynamic contrast off and you enabled it later the color and tint controls will be off. If you calibrate it with dynamic contrast on and later turn off dynamic contrast to color and tint controls will be off as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration