C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from SpectraCal - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
For any of the HDR displays. I anticipate that it won't be long before the other technologies (quantum dot, QLED, etc.) used currently for HDR sets leave 2016 and 2017 models in the dust in terms of peak brightness...
True but most other HDR sets already surpass the upper limits of my iD3. So my next meter will either depend on when OLED surpasses 1000 nits OR the next emissive tech rolls out doing so (I will never go back to transmissive lol)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
True but most other HDR sets already surpass the upper limits of my iD3. So my next meter will either depend on when OLED surpasses 1000 nits OR the next emissive tech rolls out doing so (I will never go back to transmissive lol)

The way I see it is we will likely never come close to the max 10,000nit output of DV or future dynamic HDR formats. There are already complaints about the output being too bright on some sets and we really only have barely broken 2000nits on consumer displays. Most consumers care about deep blacks and good contrast/gradient with no banding. I understand we will not see large portions of the screen even close to that high, but I don't want to see spots after a pan shot of the sun. 2000nits I think is a good max.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

=======================================

My P65-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1)
post #33 of 54 Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

I'm in the other camp. I personally feel that currently OLED has too many limitations (price, due probably to still-low manufacturing yields, limited brightness for HDR, technology aspects such as metamerism failure and other picture quality issues that might be laid at the door of the manufacturer-LG and their poor CMS come to mind) for my serious consideration. Metameric failure isn't solely the province of OLED-LED LCDs suffer from it to varying degrees, but the OLED sets are receiving the most press for it here on AVS. I'm going to wait on OLED.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

post #34 of 54 Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
I'm in the other camp. I personally feel that currently OLED has too many limitations (price, due probably to still-low manufacturing yields, limited brightness for HDR, technology aspects such as metamerism failure and other picture quality issues that might be laid at the door of the manufacturer-LG and their poor CMS come to mind) for my serious consideration. Metameric failure isn't solely the province of OLED-LED LCDs suffer from it to varying degrees, but the OLED sets are receiving the most press for it here on AVS. I'm going to wait on OLED.
To each their own

Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #35 of 54 Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
The way I see it is we will likely never come close to the max 10,000nit output of DV or future dynamic HDR formats. There are already complaints about the output being too bright on some sets and we really only have barely broken 2000nits on consumer displays. Most consumers care about deep blacks and good contrast/gradient with no banding. I understand we will not see large portions of the screen even close to that high, but I don't want to see spots after a pan shot of the sun. 2000nits I think is a good max.

You may be right. On the other hand, in the relative scheme of things, even 10K nits really isn't that much. IIRC, a new 60-watt incandescent bulb produces on the order of 18K nits. Yes, it's in a very tiny area (the filament), but it's there.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #36 of 54 Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
As a C-6 with its expanded display profiles, yes. These are contained within CalMAN. To other 3rd-party software, it should look like and work the same as an OEM I1D3. Not sure if the HDR and HDR2000 models will work to their upper luminance limits with other software.
Nope. The firmware in the C-6 restricts its functionality to only SpectraCal software, at least when using X-Rite drivers. Argyll, which uses proprietary drivers may have found a way around this.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #37 of 54 Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Nope. The firmware in the C-6 restricts its functionality to only SpectraCal software, at least when using X-Rite drivers. Argyll, which uses proprietary drivers may have found a way around this.
Thanks, Tom!

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #38 of 54 Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 382
@WiFi-Spy I'm interested in buying the new meter, but not until you tell me the black level accuracy. Is it on par or better than the previous C6?

=======================================

My P65-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1)
post #39 of 54 Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Quote:
As a C-6 with its expanded display profiles, yes. These are contained within CalMAN. To other 3rd-party software, it should look like and work the same as an OEM I1D3.
You can create a meter correction table measuring from CalMAN with the special EDR table as active, copy the WRGB xyY to another software which you can access C6 (LightSpace/HCFR/DisplayCAL), use the xyY from CalMAN as Reference Meter , then measure with C6 from at any mode the WRGB and create the meter correction table matrix for the other software.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #40 of 54 Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
As a C-6 with its expanded display profiles, yes. These are contained within CalMAN. To other 3rd-party software, it should look like and work the same as an OEM I1D3. Not sure if the HDR and HDR2000 models will work to their upper luminance limits with other software.
Quote:
Thanks for the help and the correction. This would be a no go then since I need to use it with other software.
post #41 of 54 Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just want to know why the C6 HDR2000 is $500 more than the i1DPro that are 2000nit ready.....
post #42 of 54 Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I bought one straight away.

Sending my old c6 back early August with the new model arriving in late August (a swap out deal at a reduced price).

Time for old meter to be NIST re-certed any way so thought; why the heck not.

Best wishes to everyone, and thanks to ConnecTEDDD for his support of my lightspace software. - Cheers buddy.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #43 of 54 Old 07-19-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
@WiFi-Spy I'm interested in buying the new meter, but not until you tell me the black level accuracy. Is it on par or better than the previous C6?

It is the same as the existing C6.
StevenPK likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #44 of 54 Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarydude View Post
I just want to know why the C6 HDR2000 is $500 more than the i1DPro that are 2000nit ready.....
C-6 meters feature multiple additional profiles for different display types created by SpectraCal that are available within CalMAN. If one doesn't have a spectro available to create these profiles, this approach makes sense. Earlier C-6 editions also saw an improvement in reading speeds over the retail I1D3 (C-6 models have customized firmware).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #45 of 54 Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Quote:
C-6 meters feature multiple additional profiles for different display types created by SpectraCal that are available within CalMAN. If one doesn't have a spectro available to create these profiles, this approach makes sense. Earlier C-6 editions also saw an improvement in reading speeds over the retail I1D3 (C-6 models have customized firmware).
Quote:
Hi Tom/Rolls-Royce,

SpectraCAL C6/C6 HDR is a OEM Branded i1Display PRO meter as we know, all i1Display PRO meters (Retail/OEM/OEM Branded) feature the exact same hardware/firmware, just C6 has different internal meter unlocking code (to make it work with CalMAN only officially....but it can work with HCFR/LightSpace/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS also unofficially; with exact same drivers; just with different unlocking code inside).

HCFR/Argyll is using their own custom drivers to operate the meter, the same SpectraCAL is doing also, they have written exclusive code to operate C6 (and i1D3 also) from inside CalMAN.

This is one reason why AIO mode of i1Display PRO Rev.B meters is not available from CalMAN/HCFR/Argyll, because they are not using X-Rite SDK to operate the meter, they are using their own custom code modes.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 07-21-2017 at 04:58 AM.
post #46 of 54 Old 07-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
Not sure about that, but I guess it would make sense...
But, at a similar price point (ok, a bit more expensive) I'd probably go with a Discus.
It has better low-light capabilities than the i1D3 and its derivates, and will read up to 2500 nits.
(And has glass optics, not plastic, and a laser alignment capability).
[url]http://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-discus-en/[/url

Definitely worth considering.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. Wish I could afford it right now.
post #47 of 54 Old 07-22-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 915
C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from SpectraCal

Quote:

Yes, including Xenon projector, laser phosphor projector, white OLED, and coming soon Samsung Quantum dot 2015, 2016, 2017 models (separate profile for each year).

We are the only company outside of X-rite licensed to create our own EDRs.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #48 of 54 Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For a display like 940E should I be using 11p on 10p calibration and use the meter to measure 0% IRE? Or should I input a value manually. I notice the gamma curve for 10 % is showing 2.15 and I think this will cause the dark picture to be more washed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #49 of 54 Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 27
@WiFi-Spy - I see you had a really useful whitepaper describing your certification methodology for the C6 HDR meters.
http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...20C6%20HDR.pdf

Do you have details of what the process is / what limits are used for the C6 HDR2000 meters?
post #50 of 54 Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been using CalMAN Enthusiast for my RS500 and an old ColorMunki Photo spectro along with X-rite i1 Display OEM. In moving to the HDR2000 would it be necessary or wise to upgrade the spectro to an i1 Pro 2 for profiling? Is there any reason to expect an upgrade to the Pro 2 due to UHD/HDR or other technologies coming down the road? Also, curious about the impact that laser light output plays in the viability of these meters.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Various sources
post #51 of 54 Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse88 View Post
Got the same email. Wondering if it would be smarter to trade in my i1 Display PRO and take advantage of the upgrade discount instead of getting a used i1 PRO for profiling. Hmmm...
My meter collection includes an i1pro, and i1pro2, and a c6 2000 (on the way)

I would get a second hand pro2 (the mandatory 10 minute black level reading of the i1pro is a pain) and have it recertified.

Then use that to profile your i1 display pro. You can also use your i1 display pro natively with lightspace (3D LUTS) as well as calman.

Best wishes

John
post #52 of 54 Old 08-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
I've been using CalMAN Enthusiast for my RS500 and an old ColorMunki Photo spectro along with X-rite i1 Display OEM. In moving to the HDR2000 would it be necessary or wise to upgrade the spectro to an i1 Pro 2 for profiling? Is there any reason to expect an upgrade to the Pro 2 due to UHD/HDR or other technologies coming down the road? Also, curious about the impact that laser light output plays in the viability of these meters.
I1pro2 would seem to have a 1300 nit limit.

Judicious use of a natural density filter etc, can extend its life of course.

Best wishes

John
post #53 of 54 Old 08-12-2017, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
In moving to the HDR2000 would it be necessary or wise to upgrade the spectro to an i1 Pro 2 for profiling? Is there any reason to expect an upgrade to the Pro 2 due to UHD/HDR or other technologies coming down the road? Also, curious about the impact that laser light output plays in the viability of these meters.
All 2017 OEM i1D3's can do 2000 nits, so worth checking what i1d3 you have already.
And for Laser light projectors you really will need a very narrow bandwidth Spectro - the i1Pro(2) at 10nm is not narrow enough. Unfortunately you really need something like the CR-300, 2nm Spectro.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #54 of 54 Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
All 2017 OEM i1D3's can do 2000 nits, so worth checking what i1d3 you have already.
And for Laser light projectors you really will need a very narrow bandwidth Spectro - the i1Pro(2) at 10nm is not narrow enough. Unfortunately you really need something like the CR-300, 2nm Spectro.

Steve
The i1 Display OEM is from a few years ago. Guess I'll need to rely on the stability of the C6 HDR2000 for my purposes. And unless laser based projectors from JVC arrive with much lower prices I'll be sticking with the RS500 for another few years. I was more concerned with the ColorMunki with the HDR2000

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Various sources
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page