Sharp's "Dot-by-Dot" (pixel mapping) is very faded, poor quality? (Overscan issue) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2017, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sharp's "Dot-by-Dot" (pixel mapping) is very faded, poor quality? (Overscan issue)

Hi, first post here, I have this issue on my otherwise very nice Sharp Aquos I bought new 6 months ago. Playing PS4, or anything plugged in to HDMI I guess, the image at 16:9 setting cuts off top parts of the picture due to evil overscanning. So I switch it to dot-by-dot, which fixes that, but is really bad picture quality, everything suddenly gets washed out colour wise, greyish even, just loses that HD pop, very faded etc. Why is this happening, and how or can I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I haven't worked with a sharp in sometime, but I'll give it a shot. By any chance, are the video settings changing on you when you enter in this mode, it shouldn't, but I figured I would ask. Did you happen to try another HDMI port to see if it still does it?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlack1981 View Post
I haven't worked with a sharp in sometime, but I'll give it a shot. By any chance, are the video settings changing on you when you enter in this mode, it shouldn't, but I figured I would ask. Did you happen to try another HDMI port to see if it still does it?
As an update, I changed the PS4 setting to 1080i from 1080p, and 1080i doesn't have this issue?? 1080i displays as it should, but 1080p is all faded and blurry. HDMI socket doesn't change it, as my TV does it to all HDMI inputs I've got connected. Obviously, I would prefer to set it to p. I don't think the settings are changing.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Could you post the model number of the Sharp please? Even better if you could take a pic of the back of the TV where all of the information is, that would be really helpful.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 543
If your Sharp has an HDMI Black High/Low or Normal/Low setting and it isn't grayed out, try changing it to Low if it isn't already. It sounds as though the dot-by-dot setting is somehow putting the TV into a mode where it's looking for video levels of 0-255 but it's getting 16-235.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlack1981 View Post
Could you post the model number of the Sharp please? Even better if you could take a pic of the back of the TV where all of the information is, that would be really helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If your Sharp has an HDMI Black High/Low or Normal/Low setting and it isn't grayed out, try changing it to Low if it isn't already. It sounds as though the dot-by-dot setting is somehow putting the TV into a mode where it's looking for video levels of 0-255 but it's getting 16-235.
Yes essntially what I did was change the PS4 output settings to FULL RGB rather than automatic. As soon as I did that it was no longer crushed blacks that were grey etc, so there's some issue there with some sharp TV's and dot by dot and ps4s not matching up right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page