Sharp's "Dot-by-Dot" (pixel mapping) is very faded, poor quality? (Overscan issue) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2017, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sharp's "Dot-by-Dot" (pixel mapping) is very faded, poor quality? (Overscan issue)

Hi, first post here, I have this issue on my otherwise very nice Sharp Aquos I bought new 6 months ago. Playing PS4, or anything plugged in to HDMI I guess, the image at 16:9 setting cuts off top parts of the picture due to evil overscanning. So I switch it to dot-by-dot, which fixes that, but is really bad picture quality, everything suddenly gets washed out colour wise, greyish even, just loses that HD pop, very faded etc. Why is this happening, and how or can I fix it?
yuri22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I haven't worked with a sharp in sometime, but I'll give it a shot. By any chance, are the video settings changing on you when you enter in this mode, it shouldn't, but I figured I would ask. Did you happen to try another HDMI port to see if it still does it?
JBlack1981 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlack1981 View Post
I haven't worked with a sharp in sometime, but I'll give it a shot. By any chance, are the video settings changing on you when you enter in this mode, it shouldn't, but I figured I would ask. Did you happen to try another HDMI port to see if it still does it?
As an update, I changed the PS4 setting to 1080i from 1080p, and 1080i doesn't have this issue?? 1080i displays as it should, but 1080p is all faded and blurry. HDMI socket doesn't change it, as my TV does it to all HDMI inputs I've got connected. Obviously, I would prefer to set it to p. I don't think the settings are changing.
yuri22 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Could you post the model number of the Sharp please? Even better if you could take a pic of the back of the TV where all of the information is, that would be really helpful.
JBlack1981 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 2,757
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 543
If your Sharp has an HDMI Black High/Low or Normal/Low setting and it isn't grayed out, try changing it to Low if it isn't already. It sounds as though the dot-by-dot setting is somehow putting the TV into a mode where it's looking for video levels of 0-255 but it's getting 16-235.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlack1981 View Post
Could you post the model number of the Sharp please? Even better if you could take a pic of the back of the TV where all of the information is, that would be really helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If your Sharp has an HDMI Black High/Low or Normal/Low setting and it isn't grayed out, try changing it to Low if it isn't already. It sounds as though the dot-by-dot setting is somehow putting the TV into a mode where it's looking for video levels of 0-255 but it's getting 16-235.
Yes essntially what I did was change the PS4 output settings to FULL RGB rather than automatic. As soon as I did that it was no longer crushed blacks that were grey etc, so there's some issue there with some sharp TV's and dot by dot and ps4s not matching up right.
yuri22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off