Video Bias Lighting (SMPTE Recommended Practice- CIE D65/6500K White Light Only) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1810 Old 10-12-2004, 05:33 PM
RZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had mine professionaly calibrated and with the rope light the picture looks better. I wouldn't change any of the settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1810 Old 10-12-2004, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Seems like I'm the odd man out.

I've tried soft backlighting for my plasma several times and have always found it a distraction. I like the picture floating in darkness look, like the theater. Whereas I find backlighting the plasma highlights the frame around the image, creating another layer of visual distraction. It gets worse with letter boxed films. You have the picture image, the not-quite-black letterboxed bars, then the dark frame of the plasma, then another halo of light behind the plasma. Blech.

Ah well...

BTW, I've been experimenting with some masking I made for letterboxed movies. So far, very cool. Will report soon.
post #93 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hi rich,
for me, the key was painting the wall flat black.
the 6500k bulb seems to diffuse into the wall, but somehow makes the detail and colors "pop" (on my 6uy) without turning up the brightness.
i realize that waf may not allow a flat black wall, but if you can do it, it really simulates a movie theater environment.
i always enjoy your posts.
best,
eric
post #94 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I went to Home depot, and found that the Philips Daylight Deluxe light bulb is 6500K.
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...melight_DD.php

However, they only had the 48". I am trying to track down a 24" bulb. They also had a GE standard fluorescent housing that was about $12.

Here's a list of other bulbs.
http://www.cinematography.com/docs/flo_tubes.asp

Do you think having exactly 6500K makes a difference? Or is 5000K close enough?

If I put a dimmer on 6500K, when I dim it doesn't it drop the temp? or just the wattage?
post #95 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gadgetfreaky

If I put a dimmer on 6500K, when I dim it doesn't it drop the temp? or just the wattage?

Can you use a dimmer on a fluorescent light? I thought that's what the filter tubes that go over them were used for.
post #96 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A dimmer will reduce the "intensity" of the light...not the color temp.

The filter tubes actually change the color temp.
post #97 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

You cannot dim a flourescent light. I would hope he was referring to incandescent bulbs.

The filters used in the commercial kits are not exactly tubes. They are strips of smoke gray plastic sheets that fit inside the diffuser that snaps over the flourescent bulbs.

bill
post #98 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 289
CinemaQuest has a dimmable ballast flourescent backlight coming out soon: it is listed on their site

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #99 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by billt1111
You cannot dim a flourescent light. I would hope he was referring to incandescent bulbs.

That's what I thought but there was only mention of fluorescents in the original message.

Quote:

The filters used in the commercial kits are not exactly tubes. They are strips of smoke gray plastic sheets that fit inside the diffuser that snaps over the fluorescent bulbs.

Thanks for clearing up my misconception.

I di d the rope light install on my Pio 5040 over the weekend and really like the results. I was concerned that with a fluorescent tube, the backlighting wouldn't be even in my installation (panel is mounted over a fireplace and tilted slightly down) but the rope lights really do an excellent job with this.
post #100 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

I was thinking of putting an inline dimming switch on the end of the plug on the fluorescent. You know, the ones that you put with floor standing lights? I can't dim a fluorescent light? I guess I never tried... dang...
post #101 of 1810 Old 10-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by markrubin
CinemaQuest has a dimmable ballast flourescent backlight coming out soon: it is listed on their site

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

I guess I should amend my post. You cannot dim a NORMAL flourescent light by lowering the AC voltage input with a dimmer (variable resistor) from your local hardware store. In the cinemaquest future version they imply it will have a special ballast that will have to do this for you electronically.

bill
post #102 of 1810 Old 10-14-2004, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Originally posted by JuiceRocket
The only issue I had was it seemed (and my wife didn't have this issue) to make some parts of the movie seem...off. For example, if there was a bright scene with something dark in the center, the dark center area seemed washed out.

Well, this just happened to me again, last night. The first movie I was referring to was "Man on Fire". I noticed it during times when Denzel would be against a bright background, like the brightly lit sky.

My buddy and I were watching an episode of "Band of Brothers" last night, "Crossroads" to be exact, and again, I noticed in a few scenes darker areas seemed to be, and this isn't even the right way to describe it, washed out.

As I think of it, it more seemed that the darker area had a "dodged" look to it, like when you dodge a B&W photo and it makes that area loose it's depth and contrast.

Again, this happened only when there were dark areas against a light back ground, and only when said area was towards the center of the screen. Almost like the backlight is...pushing the light away. I turned off the backlight and voila, the dark area seemed much more 3D and not washed out at all.

Is this just some form of optical illusion? I'd take a picture of it to show here, but as you all know my pictures skills are hideously sub-par.

-JR
post #103 of 1810 Old 10-14-2004, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JuiceRocket
As I think of it, it more seemed that the darker area had a "dodged" look to it, like when you dodge a B&W photo and it makes that area loose it's depth and contrast.

Again, this happened only when there were dark areas against a light back ground, and only when said area was towards the center of the screen. Almost like the backlight is...pushing the light away. I turned off the backlight and voila, the dark area seemed much more 3D and not washed out at all.

Is this just some form of optical illusion?

By toward the center area...is it defined. Meaning so many inches in from the side/from the top consistently?

I'll try and watch that flick tomorrow night to see if it happens on mine although I have the 5uy series and you have the 6. Not really sure that would matter as the electronics are virtually identical, IIRC.

Quote:

I'd take a picture of it to show here, but as you all know my pictures skills are hideously sub-par.

Welcome to the club.

Rich
post #104 of 1810 Old 10-14-2004, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey there Rich,

No, it's not defined to a specific location of my unit, and it's not visible when "normal" lights are on, so I'm assuming it's not an electronics issue. I'm guessing it's some sort of optical trick occurring, but, I could easily be wrong.

I don't know the exact time code spot in BoB right now, but I can check later tonight after my wife heads to bed. The episode is Carentan...oh, that's about all the info I have. I'll check later for you and post the chapter/time.

I don't own "Man on Fire" (netflix rental) so I can't give you an idea of when that occurred.

-JR
post #105 of 1810 Old 10-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

I went back to home depot today and went with the 12' rope light for the 50phd7uy. It was the perfect length. I bought one of the tracks that are made for the rope light. It has a self adhesive backing, that is strong enough to hold the back light but you can peel it off without leaving residue from the back of the plasma. It is about a 8' length. I cut 3 1/2" pieces from it and placed them around the plasma. About 5 pieces up top, 3 on the sides and just ran the rope ligth in the track pieces. Took about 5 minutes. On this hard plastic track, just start a small cut a small groove on it and break your piece off. Much easier than trying to cut through this hard plastic.

I set it on a timer I had, starts at 6pm, shuts off at 12am. every nigth. it's only 35 watts, so it's not going to waste too much energy. it's definitely less straining on the eyes and gives a nice ambiance to the room. The wife loved it as well...
post #106 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wife loved it as well...

My wife loves the ropelight/backlight as well. I have a feeling this simply tweak has massive WAF.

-JR
post #107 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 11:17 AM
rts

Some people have suggeted the fluorescent light, ... do most people use plane white .. or blacklight?

The blacklight is supposed to work much better for contrasts .. that's what I heard ..
post #108 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rts
Some people have suggeted the fluorescent light, ... do most people use plane white .. or blacklight?

The blacklight is supposed to work much better for contrasts .. that's what I heard ..

Interesting question. The cinemaquest web site goes to great lengths to describe their bulb as special at 6500K and the best 'Spectral Power Distribution' in the industry for even color intensities. They go so far as to recommend changing the bulb at the half life to insure SPD and Kelvin accuracy.

Their bulb is a soft white light on my setup. If anyone tries a blacklight I would be interested to know if there is any aesthetic or perceivable positive difference.

bill
post #109 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 12:46 PM
rts

This is from Philips Web-site:

True blacklight fluorescent light: White objects have a dramatic glow under blacklight
post #110 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmmm. Is that what we are after by backlighting our plasmas, etc? A dramatic glow to the wall or frame of the display? Or are we just trying to reduce eye shock and strain with a soft glow as the display changes from dark to bright scenes in low light ambient conditions?

bill
post #111 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Well i'm going to go by either lowes or the depot tonight and pick up some rope light. i don't want to spend too much on it since I just bought the plasma and I'm on thin ice with the wife for that

Hopefully this might up the WAF as well

The only bad this is home depot is out of the 6ft rope so I'm going to get 3 2ft lengths and hook them together. The next is 12' but I only have a 42" plasma. i don't want to overdo it.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #112 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Well i got lucky and got the last 6ft rope light at lowes. I didn't get a dimmer as I will see what i looks like without one for now. I'll hook it up and play a movie tonight to test it.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #113 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I've got it installed and I tried to keep it away from the vents where possible.....There is one section that goes over the vent do you think I should be worried? Pictures below.
LL

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #114 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Closer shot.....
LL

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #115 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

I blocked the vents in a few places. I wouldn't be concerned. I haven't noticed the plasma all that hot and I doubt 2% of the vents being blocked will effect anything.
post #116 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, how do you post pictures directly in the post so it doesn't have to be downloaded?
post #117 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

I just click post reply (don't use the quick reply) and there a section to attach a file to your post.

I'm now Neutral
-
Our Crimson Cinema
post #118 of 1810 Old 10-18-2004, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, how do you post pictures directly in the post so it doesn't have to be downloaded?

OT: Attaching actual pics

The pictures need to be hosted on the internet..then you use the [img][/img] vb code tags.
post #119 of 1810 Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

My picturese aren't hosted. So here is my rope light attached to the plasma. Again, 50" panny, using 12' hampton bay rope light at home depot. With the $2.59 rope light track cut into 3 1/2" lengths. They have a adhesive on the back that is strong enough to hold, but not too strong where if you peeled it off it would leave any residue.
LL
post #120 of 1810 Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

another picture
LL
Closed Thread Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version