post #181 of 291 Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post

Since it's been 4 months since the last time I asked , is there a specific pattern for setting black level? Something with below black or bars just above black?

Try the "needle pulse" pattern.

http://www.w6rz.net/needlepulse.zip

1 and 2 pixel wide pulses ("needle" pulse) with flashing -4, 4, 8, 92, 96 and 104 IRE bars on 0 and 100 IRE background 1920x1080

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 291 Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the files! I have been looking around and could not find any until yours.

I have a request though. I just bought a 32" 720p HDTV and I am hooking up my PS3 via HDMI and Xbox 360 with component. I will have a digital cable box hooked up with normal RF connection. Can you PLEASE tell me which files I need to download and how to get these files on my TV. And then, how to use these files? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
post #183 of 291 Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Perfect! Thanks Ron!!
post #184 of 291 Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi Johnny,

DO you have the means to turn these ts files into an HD iso? If so do you think you could do up an iso for the allpatterns file?

Thanks

Walter
post #185 of 291 Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I've converted all the ones I have into plain vanilla MPEG2 files (just via transport stream conversion), so I suppose I can. I can download the .iso from Ron's page and just make the same disc but with plain MPEG2 files. Is this what you're after?
post #186 of 291 Old 08-03-2007, 01:29 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi Johnny,

YEs I have the iso file which is on his site now but it doesn't have the patterns I'm looking for. The patterns I want are in the allpatterns.zip file but these are all .TS files and they need to be put through videredo and moviefactory( I believe) to get them into a HD type iso with menus (just like the iso which someone made with the other files) so I can burn it to a dvd. I can't recall who did the iso on his site, his AVS ID is something like RADA----.

Yes I'd really appreciate if you could turn those into an iso, as I'm sure lots of others would like it too. I'm sure dr1394 would let you put it on his site for all to use.

I don't need it at the moment because I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks.
Thanks

Walter
post #187 of 291 Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

Hi Johnny,

YEs I have the iso file which is on his site now but it doesn't have the patterns I'm looking for. The patterns I want are in the allpatterns.zip file but these are all .TS files and they need to be put through videredo and moviefactory( I believe) to get them into a HD type iso with menus (just like the iso which someone made with the other files) so I can burn it to a dvd. I can't recall who did the iso on his site, his AVS ID is something like RADA----.

Yes I'd really appreciate if you could turn those into an iso, as I'm sure lots of others would like it too. I'm sure dr1394 would let you put it on his site for all to use.

I don't need it at the moment because I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks.
Thanks

If you search the forum (or maybe even this thread), I already did this for BluRay and posted it to my site. I'm pretty sure somebody else did it for HDDVD also. Anyways, hope this helps.

http://www.rcollins.org/ftp/Calibration/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AKQJTs
2006 WSOP Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament: 6th Place

post #188 of 291 Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi Pencilgeek,

Thanks, I did a search for any thing with allpatterns in the search but didn't come up with anything new. i did download your bluray zip, maybe someday I might have a bluray machine too.
If you wouldn't mind pointing me to where i might fine this iso I would be greatful, thanks.

How hard is it to convert the bluray files over?

Walter
post #189 of 291 Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the patterns, they've been useful. Is there any chance that you could add a few more for a full grayscale and color calibration? Alternately, could someone maybe give me some idea how I could go about creating correct YCbCr patterns on my own?

As an amateur using HCFR, one major issue is getting a good calibration disk. GetGray is nice for SD, but for HD there's not many choices that I'm aware of besides DVE HD and the few patterns on Sony Blu-rays. Neither of those interfaces well with single spot measurements so I'd like to create a disk that would be easier to use. Your patterns easily seem the best start.

#1 - 75% gray window - In order to make color decoder changes, it would be nice to have a 75% gray to go with the 75% color patterns already on the site.

#2 - 100% color windows (709) - To measure primaries and secondaries, I think 100% color patterns are intended to be used. I can't adjust my primaries so this actually isn't anything I necessarily need myself, but for a full grayscale and color calibration it would be useful.

#3 - Above white window - I'm almost sure that my TV is red limited and always shows above-white. I figure that might be somewhat common for digital displays, so it would be nice to have an above-white pattern to go with the gray patterns for setting grayscale. The shade from the above-white bar in the bars and ramp pattern would probably work.

#4 - Flashing color decoder bar pattern (709) - For Color decoder settings, it would be nice to have a flashing pattern like the color bars pattern you added. A basic idea would be to have red, green, and blue each as a solid bar. Then on top of the bars have gray and the two related secondary colors flash on and off. There are a lot of options for how to do this, but I included a couple pictures for 1/3 of the screen.

Here is a preliminary HD DVD disk of the current grayscale and color relevant patterns. This was merely created for my own use with MovieFactory. The menu RGB images appear to be incorrect, so don't take any measurements from the menu. The only things this might currently be good for is 0% to 100% grayscale windows, and to set color and tint from the flashing bars pattern. Of course if dr1394 has any objections to the file I'll gladly remove it. http://www.sendspace.com/file/9iwytp
LL
LL

post #190 of 291 Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

dr1394,

Apparently there is a new "Motion Resolution" pattern used by HD GURU where it measures... obviously motion resolution. I this something that you can recreate?

Thanks!
post #191 of 291 Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody know how I could burn these patterns onto a regular DVD discs - in HD format - that would be readable by HD DVD players and Blu-ray players (specifically a PS3)?

I apologize if this info is already in this thread...I've read through it before and don't recall seeing it.
post #192 of 291 Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post

Does anybody know how I could burn these patterns onto a regular DVD discs - in HD format - that would be readable by HD DVD players and Blu-ray players (specifically a PS3)?

I apologize if this info is already in this thread...I've read through it before and don't recall seeing it.

You can burn to HD-DVD fairly easily. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

There's a ready to burn .iso file on my site:

http://www.w6rz.net/hdtestpatterns.zip

For Blu-ray, see these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815296

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790449

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
post #193 of 291 Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Perfect...thanks, Ron!
post #194 of 291 Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Apparently there is a new "Motion Resolution" pattern used by HD GURU where it measures... obviously motion resolution. I this something that you can recreate?

The article describing the test patterns for the actual magazine-published article mentions converging-line resolution wedges being shifted left and right for the motion portion. Maybe that means rotated left/right. But the results are given for only vertical resolution, AIUI.

Seems that both horizontal (what's generally meant by measured format effective resolution, both static and motion) and vertical resolution are significant.

The video experts approving the ATSC format, table 2.3 (test results), used a rotating test pattern at 5 rpm for motion testing (see Note 3, table 2.3), and reported diagonal resolution readings as well, describing it as the vector sum of horiz. and vertical rez (see 2.1 Resolution intro). There seems to be diagonal wedges in the resolution test pattern used by HD Guru (1st article link above). Some video-processing algorithms manipulate diagonal signal information. This earlier table converts the ATSC committee's table 2.3 to simply lines/PH or PW for 16X9 HDTV, omitting diagonal readings.

AIUI, it's also important to distinguish between Nyquist-limited sampled test patterns (reduced resolution after reconstruction filtering) you'd get from a TV camera or telecine scan, apparently used for ATSC approval testing, and non-sampled computer or test-equipment patterns, which can produce full HD-format resolutions on adequate displays. -- John
post #195 of 291 Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM

I've just found out about this thread. Thank you Ron for your hard work. I've downloaded all the test patterns and trying to burn it as an HD format. However, when I try to import the .ts file (video file). I got "filename" is not accessible. I'm using Ulead DVD MovieFactory version 6. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Al,

"When the opponent expand, I contract,
When he contracts, I expand,
And when there is an opportunity,
I do not hit--it hits all by itself."
- Bruce Lee
post #196 of 291 Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen that message with m2ts files and the Ulead software. I would suggest maybe running the files through VideoReDo and making them .mpg and seeing what happens. It's possible the message might go away, but half the time I can't correctly guess what might work and might not work with the Ulead software.

post #197 of 291 Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I've seen that message with m2ts files and the Ulead software. I would suggest maybe running the files through VideoReDo and making them .mpg and seeing what happens. It's possible the message might go away, but half the time I can't correctly guess what might work and might not work with the Ulead software.

I downloaded VideoReDo the trial version. It also giving me an error when I try to open the .ts file saying "can't open filename, no PIDs specified when trying to open a transport stream". Am I missing something during the installation??? Both softwares said successfully installed. Thanks.

Al,

- Bruce Lee
post #198 of 291 Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Google returns 'If you get this, try enabling the "Ignore Program Stream Map" on the Tools>Options>Stream page.'

You might also be able to re-encode the patterns to something Ulead will accept, but I'm somewhat intentionally out of the loop on going from YUV to video http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=918654

post #199 of 291 Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks. After setting "ignore program stream", it loaded the .ts files using VideoRedo. I'm wondering if Ulead has something like that in the setup. Thanks again.

Al,

- Bruce Lee
post #200 of 291 Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 AM

I need the 100IRE Field Pattern in 720p and 1080i res
thank you.
post #201 of 291 Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3z0rian View Post

I need the 100IRE Field Pattern in 720p and 1080i res
thank you.

There's already a 1080i 100 IRE field pattern.

http://www.w6rz.net/irefield100.zip

I can easily make a 720p pattern. Is the usual 30 seconds okay, or do you want something longer?

I don't have the capability for 480p@60 patterns.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
post #202 of 291 Old 01-28-2008, 04:37 PM

I need to present a specific 1080i test pattern ("hoz30bar") to the component inputs of my TV in order for it to do an auto-calibration. The Service manual shows the attached information about the calibration image.

I have a mod'd xbox (with xbmc) and also a PC with an MDP-130 card that I can use to present the image. With xbox+xbmc I could use a still image or mpeg2 file, with the MDP-130 I think it would have to be a transport stream (?)

Any suggestions or pointer to appropriate software?

Thanks!
LL
post #203 of 291 Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plughplover View Post

I need to present a specific 1080i test pattern ("hoz30bar") to the component inputs of my TV in order for it to do an auto-calibration. The Service manual shows the attached information about the calibration image.

I have a mod'd xbox (with xbmc) and also a PC with an MDP-130 card that I can use to present the image. With xbox+xbmc I could use a still image or mpeg2 file, with the MDP-130 I think it would have to be a transport stream (?)

Any suggestions or pointer to appropriate software?

Thanks!

Here you go. It's about 4 minutes, 37 seconds long.

http://www.w6rz.net/mitstest.zip

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
post #204 of 291 Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

dr1394,

Thanks!

Better late than never. Here's my version of the moving SMPTE 133 pattern (like on the HD HQV disc).

http://www.w6rz.net/filmrez.zip

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
post #205 of 291 Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Here you go. It's about 4 minutes, 37 seconds long.

http://www.w6rz.net/mitstest.zip

Ron

Thanks! I'll give it a whirl...
post #206 of 291 Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Better late than never. Here's my version of the moving SMPTE 133 pattern (like on the HD HQV disc).

http://www.w6rz.net/filmrez.zip

Ron

Good stuff :-)
Could you also do one with 3:2 pulldown? the HD HQV disc has the SMPTE pattern at 1080i/30 and 1080i/30 with 3:2, so it would be awesome to have this as an alternative test.

Thanks!
post #207 of 291 Old 01-31-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

Good stuff :-)
Could you also do one with 3:2 pulldown? the HD HQV disc has the SMPTE pattern at 1080i/30 and 1080i/30 with 3:2, so it would be awesome to have this as an alternative test.

Thanks!

This pattern does have 3:2 pulldown. Here's a progressive frame:

and an interlaced frame:

If you see any of the interlaced artifacts on your panel, it's having trouble with 3:2 detection. Some panels will do well on most of the image, but fail on the edges of the some of the boxes.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
post #208 of 291 Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ron -

The squares with finest vertical lines turn redish on my LCD. Do you know what that is?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #209 of 291 Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, all I see on my monitor is 2 black pics.

Walter
post #210 of 291 Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

Hmmm, all I see on my monitor is 2 black pics.

Looks like my server (www.w6rz.net) is down. The pictures are linked to that server.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page