SpyderTV Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 933 Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would the Spyder2PRO software be of any use for calibrating any RPTVs? Or is it best suited for non-RPTV systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 933 Old 08-29-2005, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Lee - The only thing the PRO will give you over the TV you currently have is the ability to set-up a calibration profile for use with a HTPC. If you do not have a HTPC, or other PCs in the house that you want to calibrate/profile, then the PRO does you no good.
post #93 of 933 Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM

Ursa--You're right, I shouldn't derail this thread too much further. I think the biggest problem was I couldn't really think of how to ask the question in my mind, maybe because it wasn't crystal clear to me, even.
Here's your quote:

"lewdog - this is a good start if you lack a mathematical model to really dial it in (it pretty much works regardless of what display type you are using). What you miss in this method is the ability to really maximize your contrast while maintaining proper color balance (e.g., white snow is really white, not bluish white). Embedded in contrast maximization is making sure your gamma is relatively flat and within parameters (e.g., 2.2 for HD)."

By "mathematical model to really dial it in," I take it you're just referring to recording/understanding/adjusting all the xyY data so both greyscale and gamma are optomized as much as possible. As I already had been using the xy data and maximized greyscale, I guess gamma is the only thing left you're referring to to take care of. I think the questions of "What beside greyscale are you "really dialing in?" and, "Do you have some fancy program or equation (beside figuring out the gamma) that I'm missing?" are the things that were confusing me. I think I'm clear now--feel free to correct me if I'm not.
post #94 of 933 Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Ursa,

Where did you find the xyY data? I've enabled the "/support" command line option, but don't see an option for it.

Nevermind, I found it. I had to go to the command line to do it.

Thanks,
Mark
post #95 of 933 Old 08-29-2005, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lewdog - you got it. There is a bit more to it than that, but you've got the key points.

Mark - Glad you found it!

Later,
Bill
post #96 of 933 Old 08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Here are the hardware/software versions for my SpyderTV (purchased this week) vs my Spyder2PRO Studio sensor (purchased three months ago).

SpyderTV: sw 4CL/hw 3CL
Spyder2PRO Studio: sw 3CL/hw 3CL

Although the hardware remains the same, for what its worth, it looks like Colorvision updated the software in the SpyderTV sensor.

Mark
post #97 of 933 Old 08-30-2005, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe Colorvision can provide "loyal user recent buyers" of the "original" spyder2 with a firmware upgrade????? Most USB devices are capable of firmware upgrades....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #98 of 933 Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Jim,

I agree, but somehow, I doubt Colorvision would want the support calls on that one

Mark
post #99 of 933 Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Maybe Colorvision can provide "loyal user recent buyers" of the "original" spyder2 with a firmware upgrade????? Most USB devices are capable of firmware upgrades....

I think the sensor has to be recalibrated after the firmware is upgraded, and this is probably what makes this a non-starter.

My guess on the process: the new firmware delivers a basic set of numbers/readings that are interpreted/transformed by a look-up table/matrix that is embedded into the firmware that is custom for each device.

However, I'll ask the question!

Mark - Thanks! That sounds like we have a definitive way for PRO users to determine what sensor they have.

Later,
Bill
post #100 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

"My guess on the process: the new firmware delivers a basic set of numbers/readings that are interpreted/transformed by a look-up table/matrix that is embedded into the firmware that is custom for each device.

However, I'll ask the question!"

my guess is that the "calibration" referred to is the nominal table, I really doubt that each sensor is individually calibrated.... and PLEASE DO ask

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #101 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Bill,

Did you receive your spyder and did you have a chance to do a quick test?

Arno
post #102 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 PM

Can anyone figure out how to set V2.0 software to enable RGB sliders when you choose projector? I only see this option when I set the software to CRT.
post #103 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Arno - It arrived yesterday, so I'll give it a test soon.
post #104 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 04:52 PM

Here is my situation. I have a three tube crt projector with hd8 lenes that I would like to calibrate ,but I also have a rear projection tv and lot of computer monitors. that I would also like to calibrate. What unit would be the best given my situation? I don't really care about a "wizard" if that is what would be lost of getting one vs the other. Is there an upgrade for one coming up etc.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
post #105 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker0007 View Post

Here is my situation. I have a three tube crt projector with hd8 lenes that I would like to calibrate ,but I also have a rear projection tv and lot of computer monitors. that I would also like to calibrate. What unit would be the best given my situation? I don't really care about a "wizard" if that is what would be lost of getting one vs the other. Is there an upgrade for one coming up etc.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don

Don,

I'm going with the SpyderTV. You'll get it at a better price than the Pro and you'll get the tripod attachment for your projector. If you feel the need to build ICC profiles to calibrate your computer monitors later on, you can always upgrade to Pro software. Of course, you don't need to use ICC profiles to calibrate your computer monitors assuming your monitors have the proper controls for adjusting grayscale, white level, black level etc, and you don't have a need to embed ICC profiles in any work you do.

Just my $0.02.

Mark
post #106 of 933 Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One other idea: if you do not already own DVE or Avia, then get the TV and think about upgrading to the PRO if you need profiling. Essentially, the SpyderTV, as shipped, provides more functionality for computer monitors than the PRO provides for normal displays.

Of course, if you know the menu layout of DVE by heart, then the automation of the TV isn't going to help you too much. But then, your last name is probably "Kane" in this scenario anyway...

Later,
Bill
post #107 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Ursa,

I have to agree with you here. DVE is going to get you essentially the same results. Although, you might find contrast to be a bit daunting depending on your display type.

The only reason I would recommend the SpyderTV over something like DVE is for the ease of use and quantifiable values obtained from the sensor. DVE *is* a pain to navigate, but with the included cheat sheet, it should be pretty simple. The nice thing about DVE is the additional test patterns and the educational aspect of the presentation.

I kind of wish Colorvision had included an introduction to home theater on their SpyderTV DVD. I suspect that a lot of folks will pick up the SpyderTV thinking it is the be-all-end-all of display tweaks. It sure would be nice if they got a bit more of an introduction to the subject.

Anyway, I recently purchased a Sony 30" 16:9 direct view that I have since tweaked using DVE only. I plan on running a SpyderTV "calibration" against it tonight or later this weekend to see how close my settings are to what SpyderTV thinks is optimal.

Mark
post #108 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 11:10 AM

This is an email I got from Colorvision. I plan on connecting a HTPC to my projector if that changes anything. I wouldn't mind buying additional software down the road but I really don't want to have to buy two pieces of hardware as colorvision suggests.

Not sure why colorvision suggested the following.

Don,

Spyder2PRO will calibrate your projector and computer monitors but you
will also need SpyderTV to calibrate your televisions.

Thank you,
Elana
ColorVision Customer Support
1-800-554-8688
1-609-895-7430

Thanks for the info.
Don
post #109 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don - The hardware for the PRO is supposed to be the same as the TV as of the v2.0 release. Since there is not a software upgrade from the PRO to the TV, the easiest is to get the TV and then get the PRO software upgrade.

Later,
Bill
post #110 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post

One other idea: if you do not already own DVE or Avia, then get the TV and think about upgrading to the PRO if you need profiling. Essentially, the SpyderTV, as shipped, provides more functionality for computer monitors than the PRO provides for normal displays.

Later,
Bill

I have seen a couple of references in ths thread to using the SpyderTV to calibrate computer monitors. Can you explain how this is done? For example, with my Nvidia graphics card there are separate (and different) controls for the desktop, video overlay, and fullscreen video. Since I would have to display the test patterns from the DVD, this would be displayed in the overlay or the fullscreen video windows and not the desktop. Also, some of these adjustments seem to affect other outputs. When I tried to adjust the overlay, it made my desktop look awful.

Thanks,

Ron
post #111 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hi All, the more I read, the more confuse I'm. Pls correct if I'm wrong, but below is my understanding of this SpyderTV. I'm looking forward to get SpyderTV if it can help me to tune greyscale, gamma and D65 color temp which can't be done using AVIA or DVE accurately.

SpyderTV - able to calibrate all sort of TV and Projector. Normal wizard software will only help to calibrate Contrast and Brightness. Software bundle do not calibrate greyscale, gamma and D65
SpyderTV - to calibrate greyscale, gamma or D65 color temp, then we need to enable the commandline /support to check xyX and use a spreadsheet by URSA to manually tune in adjusting projector color offset and bias.

If you wish to profile your monitor and printer (creating ICC profile) then you need to upgrade to Pro version.

Any place I can get/buy the spreadsheet and step to step guide on how to read the excel and fine tune the color offset and bias to meet the above objectives?

Thanks. USD 269 doesn't sound too expensive if it can achieve the above tuning.
post #112 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Hi All, the more I read, the more confuse I'm. Pls correct if I'm wrong, but below is my understanding of this SpyderTV. I'm looking forward to get SpyderTV if it can help me to tune greyscale, gamma and D65 color temp which can't be done using AVIA or DVE accurately.

SpyderTV - able to calibrate all sort of TV and Projector. Normal wizard software will only help to calibrate Contrast and Brightness. Software bundle do not calibrate greyscale, gamma and D65
SpyderTV - to calibrate greyscale, gamma or D65 color temp, then we need to enable the commandline /support to check xyX and use a spreadsheet by URSA to manually tune in adjusting projector color offset and bias.

If you wish to profile your monitor and printer (creating ICC profile) then you need to upgrade to Pro version.

Any place I can get/buy the spreadsheet and step to step guide on how to read the excel and fine tune the color offset and bias to meet the above objectives?

Thanks. USD 269 doesn't sound too expensive if it can achieve the above tuning.

Sounds about right to me although Ursa is going to have to fill us in on the spreadsheet

I might add that "able to calibrate all sorts of TVs" may be a subjective statement. At this price point, I'm not sure we can say the SpyderTV will be as accurate as it's professional quality brethren. However, for MSRP $269.00, you're right, its not a bad deal.

Mark
post #113 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ron - You ahve it about right. Most monitors have, at a minimum, brightness and contrast controls. CRTs frequently have even more controls. These controls would be the ones to use with the SpyderTV and a PC. You would need a software-based DVD player on your PC, but I would be very surprised if anyone in this forum did not have at least one. (I had six, at last count - though I only use two of them...). Persionally, I would use VMR, if possible, when using the SpyderTV. Of course, you can mimic the test patterns from the DVD as well. The key is making sure the average lighting is constant.

rjyap - I am currently working on the documentation to go with my spreadsheet. I had hoped to get a good start on it over the long weekend, but I have a house full of New Orleans refugees, so it has been a bit hard to be productive.

Mark - At lower light levels, the Spyder2 seemed to be better than the EyeOne. However, at higher light levels, the EyeOne does definitely seem to be a more accurate sensor. If I can get some time with my projector when its dark, and there aren't refugees underfoot, then I'll rerun my test of the Spyder vs. the EyeOne.

I'll repeat my query from earlier: has anyone who bought the SpyderTV gotten ColorVision to give you the "loyalty discount" on the upgrade to the PRO software?

Later,
Bill
post #114 of 933 Old 09-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'd like to post my first assessment of the SpyderTV vs a standard setup using DVE. This assessment would be useful to those debating the purchase of a SpyderTV vs the cheaper option of using DVE. Please see the attached SpyderTV Report for the complete results.

The setup was performed on a Sony KV30HS420 (30", 16:9, direct view CRT) display.

Prior to running the SpyderTV process, I used DVE following their standard setup procedure. Please note that no other adjustments have been made on this display other than those available in the user menu.

As you can see in the report, most of the settings obtained using DVE were very close to the "optimal" settings as prescribed by the SpyderTV. I had chosen the correct color temperature, brightness deviated by only one, color by three (intentionally), and hue by one. The only major adjustment was made to the contrast setting which was adjusted from 29 to 42 - contrast being a traditionally difficult setting to obtain by eye on a CRT based display (insofar as my experience is concerned). The report mentions that contrast was obtained in one reading - I may have to check this one again. I'm not surprised that this deviated so much as I tend to set my contrast a bit lower than some (by eye of course) but ~240 cd/m2 seems high.

Hope this helps,
Mark
post #115 of 933 Old 09-02-2005, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Ron - You ahve it about right. Most monitors have, at a minimum, brightness and contrast controls. CRTs frequently have even more controls. These controls would be the ones to use with the SpyderTV and a PC. You would need a software-based DVD player on your PC, but I would be very surprised if anyone in this forum did not have at least one. (I had six, at last count - though I only use two of them...). Persionally, I would use VMR, if possible, when using the SpyderTV. Of course, you can mimic the test patterns from the DVD as well. The key is making sure the average lighting is constant.
Later,
Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the response, however I am still missing something. I am saying that if I play a DVD in a software player on the PC (I have a CRT monitor), it plays in the Video Overlay. The settings for the Video Overlay do not necessarily affect the Desktop in the same way. When everybody refers to using SpyderTV to adjust a computer monitor, are you just talking about adjusting for optimal display of a DVD in a software player and not adjustment of the Desktop (which would affect display of still pictures, etc?)

Ron
post #116 of 933 Old 09-02-2005, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ron - I think you are still thinking of profiling. Your CRT monitor won't know whether it is seeing the desktop (2D), Overlay (post-render), or Doom3 (3D). Instead, it will see a signal from your PC's VGA port. Assuming that your RAMDACs handle each of these display scenarios reasonably equally, then the changes you make to your CRT's brightness, contrast, and color controls will be correct for all of them. To the extent that your video card's RAMDACs do some "weird" stuff, then they will be different. You can test how weird your display is by mimicking the patterns in the SpyderTV DVD with bitmaps and a slideshow program (one is included with WinXP).

The key is that you are making changes to the controls on the display, not on the graphics card, with the SpyderTV.

Does this make more sense now?

Later,
Bill
post #117 of 933 Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Ron - I think you are still thinking of profiling. Your CRT monitor won't know whether it is seeing the desktop (2D), Overlay (post-render), or Doom3 (3D). Instead, it will see a signal from your PC's VGA port. Assuming that your RAMDACs handle each of these display scenarios reasonably equally, then the changes you make to your CRT's brightness, contrast, and color controls will be correct for all of them. To the extent that your video card's RAMDACs do some "weird" stuff, then they will be different. You can test how weird your display is by mimicking the patterns in the SpyderTV DVD with bitmaps and a slideshow program (one is included with WinXP).

The key is that you are making changes to the controls on the display, not on the graphics card, with the SpyderTV.

Does this make more sense now?

Later,
Bill

Thanks, Bill. I think I get it. You are talking about using only the physical buttons, dials, etc. on the monitor itself. I was thinking along the lines of the RGB, brightness, contrast, etc. available in the graphics driver control panel. This is where there are different settings for desktop, overlay, and fullscreen video. But this is what I was trying to understand -- whether the SpyderTV was being used for these settings. Once I set the limited brightness, contrast, and color temperature on the physical monitor, that will not necessarily mean that when I play a DVD with a software player that it will look optimal.

I have never used any software for creating profiles, so I don't really know how it changes the settings on a monitor and/or graphics card.

Ron
post #118 of 933 Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ron - Profiles work the exact opposite. They only adjust the parameters of either the RAMDAC (good) or the color conversion matrix somewhere in the rendering pipeline (not so good, IMHO). I linked to a cheap-and-easy marketing blurb from Matrox in a different thread that showed the impact of the Parhelia's 10-bit RAMDAc vs. the 8-bit norm from nVidia and ATi. Let's just say that a video engineer would not be impressed by either! As a result, you have to go through a pre-calibration step when calibrating with a profile where you calibrate your display as accurately as possible before applying driver-level changes. Oddly enough, this is what the "PreCAL" software does in the Spyder2PRO. The problem is that the software requires the display in question to be connected to the PC making the adjustments (one can cheat, but it makes it way more tedious). This is why I say that the TV provides more functionality for PCs than the PRO provides non-PCs.

To provide additional background: the only place I know to be guaranteed getting the v2.0 bundle of the PRO software is from Colorvision directly at full MSRP ($299). For $310 - $320, you can get the SpyderTV from a discounter for $220 - $230, and the PRO upgrade from Colorvision for $89. Right now, there is no software upgrade going from the PRO to the TV, though there is one on the roadmap with an indeterminate release date from what I have been told (oh, yeah, pricing is also unknown...and I did not get the impression it would be cheap).

Later,
Bill
post #119 of 933 Old 09-02-2005, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ursa

Anything on them keeping the xyY data accessible but hidden to those in the know? I honestly see that the hidden greyscale functionality is it's only market. AVSers can figure out the basic controls themselves, and non-AVSers are not even geeky enough to buy the test pattern DVD so forget the SPyderTV there.

Also do you know if each sensor is individually calibrated at the factory - or are they mass produced nominal values? I would hope that the ColorFacts Spyder is individually calibrated - mine reported +/-0.001 xy error to the factories reference.
post #120 of 933 Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kevin - Good questions. When the Product Manager for the TV gets back in the office, I'll ask.

For target markets, I don't think that we are the primary market. Instead, we represent the top of, in marketing terms, a pyramid of influence. In other words, people ask folks like us what they should buy, and then they buy it. Then they tell others that "they know this guy who really knows what he's talking about, and he says to get this doohickey..."

Where folks do not "get" DVE or Avia, then this product is great for them. Sure it costs a fair chunk of money compared to DVE or Avia, but for the Best Buy/Circuit City crowd, this is a good product. After all, how many of those folks have even heard of the ISF, let alone know how to hire an ISF tech? My guess is that the majority of an ISF tech's business comes from referrals from high-end HT retailers or are sole-sourced as A/V consultants (largely through word-of-mouth). Thus, I see this expanding the market for calibration, while not really cannibalizing anyone's existing business.

That being said, having access to the xyY data does give a certain amount of empowerment to the folks on this forum. When I specifically asked about the "/support" flag, the folks at Colorvision inidcated that they had expected that info to make it out eventually, so I do not feel bad about publishing how to do it. Personally, I think it helps spur adoption of the product amongst folks here, who then tell the less sophisticated folks to buy it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I wanted to be sure that folks here knew who this was really designed for, so that when they think about describing it to others, they can understand that DVE and Avia are just "beyond" the non-hobbyist. (As yet another thread in the >$3500 forum asking about how to use DVE shows...).

Later,
Bill
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page