New calibration disc - Page 74 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2191 of 2308 Old 10-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay I've read a little more and see that its not uncommon to have problems with the contrast setup. I guess its best to just set it where it looks right when watching the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2308 Old 10-16-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by emergant View Post

Okay I've read a little more and see that its not uncommon to have problems with the contrast setup. I guess its best to just set it where it looks right when watching the tv.

Not the best method.

Using the GetGray disc, to set brightness, use the brightness pattern (the dark pattern). Raise/lower the brightness control until the bar on the right (the darkest bar) just disappears.

To set contrast, use the contrast pattern (the white pattern). Raise/lower the contrast control until the bar on the right (the whitest bar) just disappears.

If you put contrast at max and you can still see all three bars, check to see what your disc player is outputting. Sometimes there are settings in a DVD player that affects the white and black levels.

BTW, are you using a Blu-ray player? if you are, you should use the AVSHD disk available for free in this forum. The patterns on it are excellent.
post #2193 of 2308 Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

I found this article extremely helpful:

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...stcontrol.html
post #2194 of 2308 Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, I set black level with brightness. I then used the white level graph and ran the contrast from min to max and back but The last two bars on the right remained visible. I ended up just putting some tv on and setting the contrast by eye. It would be nice to figure it out though.

This is common with later model TVs. Just set contrast for
maximum you want and it doesn't give you eye strain.
post #2195 of 2308 Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahull View Post

This is common with later model TVs. Just set contrast for
maximum you want and it doesn't give you eye strain.

Thanks, thats the conclusion I'd come to. Initially I thought I was missing something but upon further reading it became clear that with this TV there isnt going to be a simple answer without proper meters etc and thats further than I want to go
post #2196 of 2308 Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

I found this article extremely helpful:

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...stcontrol.html

Interesting link. Thanks but it doesnt really apply to my tv it seems. It doesnt clip.
post #2197 of 2308 Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Well, while Im on a hunt. Can anyone confirm whether the GetGray disc Window Patterns are smaller, the same size, or larger than windows on the AVS709 disc?

Thanks.
post #2198 of 2308 Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You can see the patterns on the GetGray DVD at www.calibrate.tv
post #2199 of 2308 Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

Well, while Im on a hunt. Can anyone confirm whether the GetGray disc Window Patterns are smaller, the same size, or larger than windows on the AVS709 disc?

Thanks.

If you scroll down to the "Downloads" section of www.calibrate.tv, you can examine the patterns in the "Patterns and menu'" link. There are both 100% (full field) and 75% windows patterns (in the "Color Patterns" menu section). Examples of both are shown.

NOTE: The color patterns are rendered to the SD DVD standards (Rec. 601). They will be shown correctly (color accuracy) from a BD player, only if the player correctly translates Rec. 601 to the Blu-Ray Rec. 709 color standards (see below).

The Instructions are also freely down-loadable, as "GetGrayCalDiscReadme.zip" (I wrote them, with editorial help from Scott).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

You can see the patterns on the GetGray DVD at www.calibrate.tv.

Hi Scott, I'm glad to see that this thread still has legs. I'm still using your CalDisc for grayscale calibration. I haven't found any other calibration SW that is easier, or more accurate.

BTW, for others reading this thread, the grayscale calibration settings (and standards) are the same for both standard definition DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Only the color standards have changed (Rec. 601 for DVDs and Rec. 709 for BDs)

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #2200 of 2308 Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Hi Claus! Very good too "see" you too. Hope you are very well. re the thread still going, I know. But it's recommended and used in ISF classes all over the world for just the reasons you mention. And to ensure the colors are right for SD material/conversions, etc. I can tell where they have classes becasue we will have spurts of discs going to ths same area. What has been facinating is all the places in the world it is used. It's gone to places that I didn't know they had people, much less TV's Fun to see where people are from who use it. Proud of our work.
post #2201 of 2308 Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually read all that documentation that came with the GetGrey download, and it suggested I bump this thread with info on where I heard about the GetGrey DVD.

I just completed a one day Spectracal Calman training class, wherein it was recommended to obtain GetGrey for DVD and Spears and Munsil for Blu Ray. I'm looking forward to calibrating all my friends' and families' TVs when I travel for the holidays. They'll have to be happy with their DVD and Blu Ray calibrations, as I've yet to purchase a signal generator.
post #2202 of 2308 Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandarKoad View Post

I just completed a one day Spectracal Calman training class, wherein it was recommended to obtain GetGrey for DVD and Spears and Munsil for Blu Ray. I'm looking forward to calibrating all my friends' and families' TVs when I travel for the holidays.

For HD Rec. 709 Calibrations you will need the AVSHD Disk because the Spears & Munsil Blu-Ray don't have any pattern to use with a meter, Grayscale or CMS.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2203 of 2308 Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

For HD Rec. 709 Calibrations you will need the AVSHD Disk because the Spears & Munsil Blu-Ray don't have any pattern to use with a meter, Grayscale or CMS.

Care to link me to a Blue Ray copy of that?
post #2204 of 2308 Old 12-11-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandarKoad View Post

Care to link me to a Blue Ray copy of that?

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #2205 of 2308 Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm kinda lost in this forum, and I just have one question: What is the best calibration disc?
post #2206 of 2308 Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahut View Post

I'm kinda lost in this forum, and I just have one question: What is the best calibration disc?

For a beginner either Digital Video Essentials or Disney WoW would be a good place to start.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2207 of 2308 Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

For a beginner either Digital Video Essentials or Disney WoW would be a good place to start.

Thanks.

Will the AVS HD 709 do, since it's free, or is it too difficult?
post #2208 of 2308 Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

Thanks.

I used the AVS HD709 disc as my first calibration disc and there is definitely a learning curve but it's worth it. Just take your time, write your initial settings down before calibration so you can always plug them back in if you mess up (which you probably will your first time ) and you'll be fine. Besides, there's always help here from some very knowledgeable people.
post #2209 of 2308 Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Thanks.

It's a great disc, but it's jumping into the deep end.

The other discs walk you through what you are doing and why. The AVS disc is pretty much just patterns, they are good patterns though.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2210 of 2308 Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

It's a great disc, but it's jumping into the deep end.

The other discs walk you through what you are doing and why. The AVS disc is pretty much just patterns, they are good patterns though.

Well, it's probably gonna take me less time to figure out using all the helpful posts on these forums than for one of those discs to arrive at this time of year. Though the World of War... Wonder disc looks like a cool thing to have.
post #2211 of 2308 Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Just wanted to say hi as well as thank you!
I found this thread while looking for calibration for my new Samsung UN40D5500 and (although I haven't read all its posts) I must say it's impressive all the effort and support put on this project!
I will be reading the entire thread as well as the documentation, but I already made my donation to get the ISO files.

Time to go study some more about calibration...
post #2212 of 2308 Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM

DVD will not show or search for Chapters on Denon BD3800BDCI BLue-ray player.

I received a copy of your GetGrey DVD from SpectraCal. On my high end Blu-ray player I can search for Titles but can not search for chapter information. Chapter seem to be missing. On my DVD player I can search for Title and Chapter. What is the problem here.

So when the SpectraCal application tells me go to Title 7 Chapter 22 I can get to or find Chapter 22.

This is really annoying.

Also they supplied to me a AVS-HD copy but it will not play on this Blu-ray. How do I get a compatible Blu-ray for the calibration Blu-ray.

Thanks
post #2213 of 2308 Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Scott Horton, techht.com

Robert: The DVD is made with professional level authoring software, exactly like what is used by Hollywood studios. No freeware, geekware, consumer apps, etc. was use to author the DVD (get the video material into a playable DVD format). There are thousands of copies in service, from me and or Spectracal; you are the first as far as I remember that ever had a navigation issue. If the disc works otherwise and handled manual navigation correctly (arrow, enter), then my off the cuff guess would be an issue with the Blu-Ray player being fully DVD compliant. Sorry, not good news, but the disc, if burned properly should work on a compliant player just fine. When I authored it I had a Denon, definitely worked on it.
post #2214 of 2308 Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM

Downloaded the NTSC version today and calibrated my TV using it.

Much faster navigating through the pertinent patterns than using Avia or any other test disc that I have used.

If I could suggest one tweak for a future version it would be to incorporate a 10% and 100% window combination for quickly setting the white and black points the way you have the 30% and 80% windows paired for setting offset and gain.
post #2215 of 2308 Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 PM

My old Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U had only the basic settings (Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, Sharpness) to calibrate using the GetGray DVD and my blue filter.

My new Panasonic Viera TC-P50S60 has an advanced setting area, can I use the GetGray DVD to setup some of these settings and will I need additional filters?

-Pro settings submenu
Panel brightness: Mid
AGC: 0
Black extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: 0
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: 0
W/B low R: 0
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: 0

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: 0
Red Saturation: 0
Red luminance: 0
Green hue: 0
Green Saturation: 0
Green luminance: 0
Blue hue: 0
Blue Saturation: 0
Blue luminance: 0

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.4

--Advanced picture submenu
24p Direct in: 60Hz
3:2 pulldown: On [often grayed out depending on source]
1080p pixel direct: Off [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light
post #2216 of 2308 Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

With a Calibration Disk you can set:

Brightness Pattern to set the Black Level (Brightness Control) of the Display; to prevent crushing of shadow details or raised black levels.

Contrast Pattern to set the White Level (Contrast Control) of the Display; to prevent color detail clipping up to peak white levels and above reference white level color shifts/discoloration.

Use Sharpness Pattern to prevent edge enhancement (halo/ringing effect) or soft contouring (blurring of the image details).

Use Color Clipping Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel.

Use a Grayscale Ramp to check which color temperature mode (normal/warm1/warm2 etc) of your display looks more neutral to your eyes.

But you can't set your peak light output, pefrorm RGB Balance of your grayscale, calibrate your Primary/Secondary Colors (Hue/Saturation/Lightness), fix your gamma levels etc. for REC.709 without a meter/software and knowledge on how things work.

If the disk you will use have Colour Reproduction Patterns you can check your display's controls / various mode settings / enhancements of your display, if they introducing problems or if they are broken and you have to leave them untouched to prevent new problems. (no smooth color graduations, distortions, discoloration, clipping, banding, posterization, crushed shadow details, raised black levels etc.)

post #2217 of 2308 Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM

That's what I figured I could only calibrate with my GetGray disk, I will have to look into a meter/software purchase since I run a HTPC with my plasma TV. Is there a middle of the road, not to expensive meter/software you suggest?
post #2218 of 2308 Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post

That's what I figured I could only calibrate with my GetGray disk, I will have to look into a meter/software purchase since I run a HTPC with my plasma TV. Is there a middle of the road, not to expensive meter/software you suggest?

You can start with id3 meter (you can read Tom's review here.) and use HCFR (free) for the start, or check the CalMAN or ChromaPure Combo of S/W + Meter Packages.

There 2 versions of id3 meter, the retail and the OEM.

Since you are using a HTPC, If you have plans to move to a 3D LUT Calibration in the future, go for the OEM version of the id3 because LightSpace HCL Software (for 3D LUTs) is not supporting the Retail version of id3. From the hardware side both oem or retail meters are exact the same.

If you want to see the difference in color points presentation of a 1D LUT Grayscale with 6-Axis CMS vs. 3D LUT Cube Calibrations you can check these Cube Comparisons.

MadVR 0.86.11 release has added an import option for eeColor 3dluts.

You can export eeColor LUT's 65-Point Cube (274.625 Color Points) by using LightSpace HCL or CalMAN 5 Ultimate Software solutions.

I have released a Calibration Disk for LightSpace where you can run it from Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with MadVR as a Renderer to auto-display the 4.913 Colors required for 17-Point Cube Profiling of your display. Currently it's only available as a Blu-Ray Disk but i'm preparing the MP4 Media Files release soon.

You can see an example video here.

post #2219 of 2308 Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post

i1d3 (Display Pro) OEM or retail (~$225) + HCFR for display based calibration (free) + ArgyllCMS for HTPC 1d and 3dLUT calibration (free). Commercial software solutions mentioned are easier to use for beginners, end results are the same.
post #2220 of 2308 Old 12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Commercial software solutions mentioned are easier to use for beginners, end results are the same.

But you haven't used LightSpace, I haven't used ArgyllCMS, the user feedback is that counts...

''end results are the same.'' Where is this happened? Do you have a single user post about this?

The fact is that LightSpace calibrates to exactly the same standard as used within the colour mastering house used to grade the movie you are watching... and there are many at that customer list.

Reply Display Calibration