ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3160 Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still on the fence on whether to get my Sony 34XS955 Tube HDTV calibrated, since the only issues I have with the TV are some overscan and geometry issues.

Don't know how much a professional calibration would improve the image quality, which I feel now is spectacular. Hard to imagine it getting any better.

Anyway I'm in Brooklyn, NYC and have a hard time finding anyone who would calibrate a tube based HDTV with geometry problems. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3160 Old 01-21-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post

I am still on the fence on whether to get my Sony 34XS955 Tube HDTV calibrated, since the only issues I have with the TV are some overscan and geometry issues.

Don't know how much a professional calibration would improve the image quality, which I feel now is spectacular. Hard to imagine it getting any better.

Anyway I'm in Brooklyn, NYC and have a hard time finding anyone who would calibrate a tube based HDTV with geometry problems. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sony is the only DV with registers in there for correcting this sort of thing, along with some models with small trimpots inside the cabinet at the neck of the set, for further fine tuning. They are not quite as good as you'll find in triple-gun sets, but are head and shoulders better than most DVs.

Be sure that whoever you hire has experience in those registers. You can't just mess around in there exploring, without the set shutting down on you and scaring the crap out of you, if you tweak up or down on the wrong regs. (Any idea how I found out about that?...)

I have calibrated many of the 34" Sony HDready 16x9 DVs like this one, and the results are nothing short of spectacular.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #273 of 3160 Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you tried Kevin Miller from Queens? His website is http://www.isftv.com

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #274 of 3160 Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM

I'm looking for a recommendation for an ISF trained calibrator for my Pioneer Elite ProFHD1 in the Salt Lake City area. I've called some that I found from the ISF website and many are no longer doing the calibrations.

thanks
post #275 of 3160 Old 01-25-2007, 02:57 PM

anyone serving delaware, or can anyone recommend someone???

tia...
post #276 of 3160 Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM

Any calibrators coming to New Orleans?

I would be interested in having you work your magic on my Samsung HLS-5687
post #277 of 3160 Old 01-28-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I have a Panasonic TH-42PX50U and a Denon DVD-3930ci hooked up to my TV.
I live in NW Cook County Il. Would like to get the best out of this setup. PM me if you can help me.
Thanks.
post #278 of 3160 Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Any one in the Rochester, NY area with experience calibrating LG plasmas? I have a
LG 42PC1DA with slightly over 600 hours on it. Should I wait until I pass the 1000 hour mark before calibrating?

Forgive me in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Thanks
post #279 of 3160 Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newYorkBlues View Post

Any one in the Rochester, NY area with experience calibrating LG plasmas? I have a
LG 42PC1DA with slightly over 600 hours on it. Should I wait until I pass the 1000 hour mark before calibrating?

Forgive me in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Thanks

I'm sending you a PM, but you have enough hours on mislay to have it calibrated.

Dave Hancock
post #280 of 3160 Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Liked: 13
I'm looking for recommendations on ISF-certified calibrators in the Northern VA area. Looking to have my Optoma H78DC3 calibrated. Any members find someone that did a great job?

Regards,

bill mackrell

BillMac
Optoma Projector is dying a slow painful death ...
post #281 of 3160 Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 PM

Liked: 12
I'm looking for a Calibrator in the Southwest Ohio area. I just purchased a Mitsubishi 57732 and would like to have it professionally calibrated.
post #282 of 3160 Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 AM

Just Droped A Good Dime On Plasma And New Panny 1000 Pj Can Any1 Tell Me A Great Isf Guy In Area Tank's Guy's
post #283 of 3160 Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackrell View Post

I'm looking for recommendations on ISF-certified calibrators in the Northern VA area. Looking to have my Optoma H78DC3 calibrated. Any members find someone that did a great job?

Regards,

bill mackrell

I just lerft Leesburg and Countryside, VA - Pioneer Elite CRTs there - and flew to Atlanta, where I will still be for a few more days, then off to St. Louis.

Too bad I missed you, would have loved a third cal in that area.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #284 of 3160 Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano98 View Post

Just Droped A Good Dime On Plasma And New Panny 1000 Pj Can Any1 Tell Me A Great Isf Guy In Area Tank's Guy's

I'll be in Chicago next week and would be able to take care of you.

I've sent you a PM.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #285 of 3160 Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 PM

hello all,

I 'm just outside of Philadelphia, and would like to have my Electrohome 8500 CRT calibrated. I would love to find someone who can optimize the mechanical setup as well, or at least someone who would know if more could be squeezed out of this pj. I've had offers from a few guys here, but all have fallen through because of my location. I had one guy scheduled who never even showed! I'm easily accessed by all major highways, and close to a university...not hard to find at all. I would like someone from the AVS community as I feel they have more of an understanding of what I am looking for.

Dave
dmsarkisian@comcast.net
post #286 of 3160 Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Hi, there.

I'm looking for a callibrator in Pittsburgh, PA, but I'm having a (surprisingly) difficult time finding anyone that does it anymore. I even looked on the ISF website, and the "certified" companies don't have those people anymore. Funny, eh? Short of flying Mr. Bob out to Pittsburgh, who has a more "local" alternative? Thanks!

- Dave
post #287 of 3160 Old 02-11-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

I just lerft Leesburg and Countryside, VA - Pioneer Elite CRTs there - and flew to Atlanta, where I will still be for a few more days, then off to St. Louis.

Too bad I missed you, would have loved a third cal in that area.

Mr Bob

I'm actually quite surprised there isn't a specific thread or forum for traveling ads. In fact, a category with all 50 states as separate forums would be ideal. That way, each forum can have a separate listing by the servicing tech indicating they'll be in-town at that point.

It would have the additional benefit of having the thread (say, the thread for Pennsylvania) subscribe-able and notify the member (via e-mail, etc.) when someone's coming to town.

This would make missed trips a thing of the past (well, at least potentially add a couple of service calls to your travels).

Just remember it's my idea when handing out the awards!

- Dave
post #288 of 3160 Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 AM

Excellent idea, metaldave.

I have some retail outfits in my area that have added isf calibration as a quick money maker, but I would love to get someone from the avs community who has more passion and is not watching the clock while doing a crappy job. Been there, done that...

Perhaps a system like yours would give us better access to to the real deal, and also make it feasable for the pros here to group appointments.

Pittsburgh is only 4 hours or so....if we can fill in the gaps with more stops, perhaps someone would be up for a road trip?

Dave
post #289 of 3160 Old 02-11-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smexton View Post

Excellent idea, metaldave.

I have some retail outfits in my area that have added isf calibration as a quick money maker, but I would love to get someone from the avs community who has more passion and is not watching the clock while doing a crappy job. Been there, done that...

Perhaps a system like yours would give us better access to to the real deal, and also make it feasable for the pros here to group appointments.

Pittsburgh is only 4 hours or so....if we can fill in the gaps with more stops, perhaps someone would be up for a road trip?

Dave

Keep in mind that ISF does NO training in the image structure category, such as focusing, geometry and convergence. Poeple who are proficient at all of that will be getting scarcer and scarcer with the constant proliferation of fixed pixel devices and the reduced needs of same, since they don't require that knowledge.

We who do know these specialized things are going to be the only ones capable of optimizing CRT technology, and we will become fewer and farther between, the more fixed pixels gain their inexorable foothold on the marketplace. CRT tech is already becoming extremely hard to find out there, among new units offered. With very few occasional exceptions you really can't find anything in the stores anymore, you have to go online, to places like UEC and froogle.

Along with the regular ISF stuff needed on ALL displays, I am master of focusing - wrote the Cantilever Techniqiue years ago - geometry, convergence, astigmatism correction and scheimpflug correction. All things that could come into play on virtually all CRT triple gun systems, be they RPTV or FPTV. Esp. on your 8500.

You'll probably have to fly someone in in any case, for a nice Electrohome like yours, so you may as well go ahead and consider me, if you can't score someone local, which I think is going to be a real long shot. I am currently in Roswell GA, and will be flying back home to CA from St. Louis later in the week.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #290 of 3160 Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=DroptheRemote]I'll be in Chicago next week and would be able to take care of you.

Doug im looking forward to meeting you this thursday and having you do your thing on my system
post #291 of 3160 Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 AM

Mr. Bob,

If you get a chance, contact me by email and let me know (approximately) the cost of doing a full blown set up and calibration on my Marquee. Hopefully, I can find a few more stops around here so that we can split your travel expenses.

Btw, I'm using a dinosaur of a scaler, but it seems to be working well. (InFocus Quad Scan set to 'tripling'). The pj has had the popular mods done already, less than 1,000 hours on the tubes, and brand new lenses. I actually have quite a good picture despite my really not knowing what I'm doing! I've followed all the advice given on this site, and I'm very appreciative of all the help I've recieved...I'd just like the darn thing set up by a professional who knows the capabilities of the unit.

Thanks,
Dave
dmsarkisian@smexton.net
post #292 of 3160 Old 02-13-2007, 04:08 PM

I'm looking for a Calibrator in Chicago. My Zip 60061. I have a Sony kdl 46xbr3.
post #293 of 3160 Old 02-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
Gents, see the "Mr Bob does Atlanta" thread. Enuf said.
post #294 of 3160 Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fher View Post

I'm looking for a Calibrator in Chicago. My Zip 60061. I have a Sony kdl 46xbr3.

Doug (DroptheRemote) will be in town starting this thursday. You might want to PM him and see if he can do your system. I know he has three jobs here in Chicago area starting with me.
post #295 of 3160 Old 02-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Has anyone seen Doug (DroptheRemote) work done before? I dont want to give my money to just anyone. They have to know what they are doing.
post #296 of 3160 Old 02-14-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone seen Doug (DroptheRemote) work done before? I dont want to give my money to just anyone. They have to know what they are doing.

fher,

Hopefully you'll get some feedback here to your question, but I've also sent you via PM some links to recent reviews I've received elsewhere here at AVS. I thought about posting the links here, but don't believe anyone else has done that and therefore assumed it might not be appropriate. But feel free to share those links if anyone asks for them.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #297 of 3160 Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If Doug is going to be in your area and you can get him, go for it, highly recommended.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #298 of 3160 Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I just had Doug (DroptheRemote) calibrate my my system. I have only watched a few parts from some of my DVDs. What im seeing, its like i just got a new HD Plasma tv. Im seeing things i never saw before .
Also about Doug all i can say is what a class act he is.
Thanks Doug you are worth every penny of what you charge.
post #299 of 3160 Old 02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptheRemote View Post

fher,

Hopefully you'll get some feedback here to your question, but I've also sent you via PM some links to recent reviews I've received elsewhere here at AVS. I thought about posting the links here, but don't believe anyone else has done that and therefore assumed it might not be appropriate. But feel free to share those links if anyone asks for them.

Doug -

You've done really, really well since I calibrated your set in SF so many years ago. Good goin'!

Doug's 56" Panny was the one that convinced me that Panny had the best HD picture out there. It's why I bought the 65" Panny I later bought, which has served me incredibly well for 6 years and STILL looks better than my brand new 73" Mit with the 9" guns, which is presently needing warranty work. He also was my source for my very first HD recording equipment, the original Panasonic DVHS/HD STB combo.

Most of you guys don't know it, but Doug recently took over the ISF Forum, which is kind of a watering hole for us calibrators.

One question - do you do the optics cleaning on your cals like I did on yours, and do you also perform the deeper optics cleaning when necessary, like I do?

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #300 of 3160 Old 02-17-2007, 06:18 AM

... still looking for someone who's in (or willing to drive) to Pittsburgh, PA!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page