ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3158 Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to get a Philips 42PFL7403D with the 120hz calibrated, im in the St.louis , mo area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3158 Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Doug Weil is local to St. Louis, a LionAV Consultant, and superbly qualified to help you: http://lionav.com/mdougweil.php .
post #723 of 3158 Old 06-07-2008, 11:32 AM

I just had my HL-S5087 calibrated by Eliab. He did an awesome job. The set looks cleaner, more detail is the only way i can put it!! Props to Eliab. I recommend him to anyone wanting the best out of there tv
post #724 of 3158 Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDUB View Post

I just had my HL-S5087 calibrated by Eliab. He did an awesome job.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the RPTV list that is linked at the bottom of my post.
post #725 of 3158 Old 06-07-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Well, strictly speaking I'd have to agree with you. Hadn't thougth it thru quite that much.

But my FEELING feels artful when I am doing this kind of structural and grayscale/colorations work, striving for the best possible capture of the original director's intent and involving the compromises needed at many points, both in the image structure and in aligning consumer sets that don't always have the capacity for exactly linear tracking grayscale and may also be plagued with red push - and knowing how to apply the many fine points which only exprerience can teach you, you know what I mean. With all the judgment calls that need to be made, I feel my creative juices get quite an exercise each time! At the end of the day I am exhausted, but happy with the results and glad I spent the necessary time and energy. The many compromises have been met and bested or at least optimized, and the already very filmlike picture potential of CRT is as close to the original intent of the director as I have been able to make it.

In many ways it's like playing handball always was in college - afterwards I have been pushed to my limits and it may have even been painful. And I am exhausted but happy!

Guess that's not art either. Maybe there are better words for it. I kinda just shot from the hip, here. Thanks for finding better words for what I was trying to say.

And worth it, anyway, on all counts!

I still maintain that for getting the sizzlingly real and accurate picture out of them that they are ultimately capable of, anybody who paid very little for a set with the capacities of these great CRT RPTVs should not allow themselves to feel limited in how much they want to spend on calibration, by how much they spent buying the unit.

Mr Bob

I don't think that we really differ, just that we are talking about slightly different things. With respect to HT, I think of art as being in the production and the technology being more of a tool that should not add nor subtract from the display of the art.

You are talking about the level of performance that you achieve in optimization of the technology. This is really best described as a "flow state" which occurs when one exhibits a high level of skill in a task, while pushing the limits of one's ability just to the edge of where the challenge becomes beyond one's ability. Csikszentmihalyi published a (actually several) great book documenting what they found with high achievers in many areas and how they all had very similar experiences. When performing at this kind of level, there are very large similarities between art and skilled application of a trade or technology.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #726 of 3158 Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

I don't think that we really differ, just that we are talking about slightly different things. With respect to HT, I think of art as being in the production and the technology being more of a tool that should not add nor subtract from the display of the art.

You are talking about the level of performance that you achieve in optimization of the technology. This is really best described as a "flow state" which occurs when one exhibits a high level of skill in a task, while pushing the limits of one's ability just to the edge of where the challenge becomes beyond one's ability. Csikszentmihalyi published a (actually several) great book documenting what they found with high achievers in many areas and how they all had very similar experiences. When performing at this kind of level, there are very large similarities between art and skilled application of a trade or technology.

Gotcha!

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #727 of 3158 Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 PM

I purchased the Pio Elite Pro 150FD about 6 months ago. I was careful about break-in, and have recently been using some of the settings offered on the Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread. Great picture, but I'm sure that it can be improved.

I am now considering to have the set professionally calibrated. Looking for someone that covers the Philadelphia, PA area. Would prefer someone with Kuro Elite experience. Any help/comments would be appreciated.
post #728 of 3158 Old 06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunpa View Post

I am now considering to have the set professionally calibrated. Looking for someone that covers the Philadelphia, PA area. Would prefer someone with Kuro Elite experience. Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Eliab Alvarez de la Campa (Eliab at AVS but he hasn't been posting lately) does tours. Email him here:

eliab@avical.com

And check his web site here:

http://www.avical.com/

Jeff Meier is UMR here at AVS. He also does tours. Jeff only does jobs that include audio calibration. He calibrated our 2007 Pioneer Kuro plasma, and helped me improve our surround sound system components before his calibration visit.

Email him here:

jeff@accucal.org

Check his web site here:

http://www.accucalhd.com/

Eliab and UMR are both outstanding professionals

You can read about their work by using the two links at the bottom of my post.
post #729 of 3158 Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Jeff Meier is UMR here at AVS. He also does tours. Jeff only does jobs that include audio calibration when he is on tour. He calibrated our 2007 Pioneer Kuro plasma, and helped me improve our surround sound system components before his calibration visit.

Email him here:

jeff@accucal.org

Check his web site here:

http://www.accucalhd.com/

I am accepting video and audio only work at this time.
post #730 of 3158 Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I am accepting video and audio only work at this time.

UMR I would like to inquire further and get a quote for Video & Audio cal.
post #731 of 3158 Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

Look two posts above yours for contact information.
post #732 of 3158 Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:

Just go to www.accucalhd.com/pricing-quote.htm.
post #733 of 3158 Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks UMR the prices arent a problem but would prefer getting the work done before August... Is there anyone on the boards here local to the Philadelphia area?
post #734 of 3158 Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM

On 2/1/08 I bought my 42PZ700 from Best Buy in Racine, WI. As an incentive, they gave me a "deal" on the tv if I bought the Geek Squad calibration.

Two weeks later I called the Geek Squad to schedule my calibration. They asked me if I had 100 hours on the set. I (dumbly) said "not yet". They told me to call back to schedule after I hit the 100-hour mark. So two weeks later I called again, and I got my scheduled time: 3 MONTHS LATER!!!! Why those dolts wouldn't schedule me the first time I called, knowing full well the wait time, is beyond me. This was my first regret about getting the Best Buy calibration.

On 5/7 the Geek Squad guy showed up. He worked on the set for about an hour, made some adjustments, and went away. I will admit, the picture was somewhat improved from my settings. However, the resulting image was quite a bit toned down from what I had it set before, and I was not all that pleased, as I had high hopes for the set after reading all the reviews about it, both here on the AVS forums as well as elsewhere. I thought perhaps I had been spoiled by my previous tv (Sony 30"XBR910).

On 6/9 I had my Panasonic re-calibrated by Chad Billheimer (listed on the first page of this thread). He brought in a crateload of equipment, and 3 hours of tweaking later I had the image quality I had been waiting and hoping for. The image is brilliant, colors accurate, whites do not lose detail, and the blacks have many more shades of gray. A tremendous improvement over the BB calibration.

Chad did a wonderful and thorough job, he answered my myriad of questions, and didn't seem to mind when my cats decided to try to "help".

I highly recommend his services to anyone interested in getting the most out of their display device.
post #735 of 3158 Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Is there anyone on the boards here local to the Philadelphia area?

I'm in Philly now, but I realize that isn't much advance notice.

PM sent.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

Photo Research PR-655 spectroradiometer equipped
post #736 of 3158 Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Looking for someone in Minneapolis/St.Paul area to calibrate my Mitsubushi 55809.
post #737 of 3158 Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintEdward View Post

Looking for someone in Minneapolis/St.Paul area to calibrate my Mitsubushi 55809.

Too bad I didn't know you wanted one when I did my MN/Chicago tour earlier this year -

You guys run some seriously cold weather over there! When my plane took off, I wished I had had my camera handy, to photograph all those huge white circles in the middle of your lakes. I know your lakes freeze over enough to drive on -

Didn't mind getting back to CA, gotta be honest...

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #738 of 3158 Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM

I just pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD. Now I need to find somebody to calibrate it when it comes in I'm located in Oklahoma City, OK. Anybody make any tours to this area or can recommend somebody local who can calibrate it when I get it in August or so? Thanks.
post #739 of 3158 Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The ISF Forum site is a good resource for locating serious, full-time calibrators who service your area. Here's the link for Oklahoma: http://www.isfforum.com/sobi2/ISF-Fo.../Oklahoma.html
post #740 of 3158 Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 AM

Anyone in the South Jersey (Pennsauken, Cherry Hill Area) area available to calibrate a Sony KDS-55A2020?
post #741 of 3158 Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmbz View Post

Anyone in the South Jersey (Pennsauken, Cherry Hill Area) area available to calibrate a Sony KDS-55A2020?

I don't know this person or company at all but doing a search for PA myself I found on the below link a guy named Dan Miller listed for NJ.

http://www.lionav.com/services.php
post #742 of 3158 Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmbz View Post

Check the RPTV ("All Other") list linked at the bottom of my post. Eliab is in your area.
post #743 of 3158 Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Tom
Dan Miller is one of my partners. He isnt normally available for consumer calibrations. For LionAV I regularly service the greater Philly area DC to NYC to Hartford.
My next availability is now July 15-20th.
Gregg

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #744 of 3158 Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Gregg, PM sent to ya
post #745 of 3158 Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I provide calibration services in the northern California Sacramento area. I am the owner of Sound Environments in Citrus Heights, CA. I have over 20 years of experience in custom electronics, and CEDIA and ISF Certified.

I work on all displays.

I use Sencore and Milori software and colorimeters. I use the Sencore VP401 signal generator, and a variety of test patterns on disk.

Kevin Wall
916-705-6325
post #746 of 3158 Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looking for someone in the NE side of Atlanta, GA to calibrate my Samsung Lnt 4665. Not sure if I should use Geek Squad calibrators listed on the ISF website or not.
post #747 of 3158 Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post

Looking for someone in the NE side of Atlanta, GA to calibrate my Samsung Lnt 4665. Not sure if I should use Geek Squad calibrators listed on the ISF website or not.

There are owner's reports in the two lists linked at the bottom of my post. Most of the calibrators that did the work go on tours, so you are not restricted to the NE side of Atlanta.
post #748 of 3158 Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Richard Fisher of Mastertech Repair Corporation is in Atlanta, has an extensive electronics repair background, and has been a professional display calibrator for many years: http://www.isfforum.com/sobi2/ISF-Fo...s/Georgia.html
You are privileged to have him in your area.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #749 of 3158 Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:

I could do it for you on my upcoming Ohio to Texas tour around the end of July/beginning of Aug. I have many happy customers who have posted references here.
post #750 of 3158 Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think you can trust ANY Geek Squad calibrator to know the first thing about the image structure requirements of CRT triple gun tech, whether it's RPTV or front projection.

They may be ISF trained, but ISF doesn't teach that.

A few pages back I asked a bunch of CRT grade calibrators to speak up, if you want to look that up -

Chad is one of them, of course, and if he's available, you should definitely snag him -

Since I am not up on all the model numbers of every brand's lineup, if this is a fixed pixel unit, please disregard -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page