ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here! - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes

post #211 of 4064 Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I have seen this for a while. A spectroradiometer alone does not solve the problems either. I have seen numerous jobs done with Minolta CS-200's and PR-650's that were hosed. Those devices have their limitations and used incorrectly will not give accurate results either.

So if the firm's web site lists...ISF Optical Comparator and Color Analyzer--this is not enough information. What questions should I be asking??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 4064 Old 10-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like there was no response to your latest question, so here's another 1.5 cents worth...

If I can interpret what Jeff is saying - tools do not necessarily make the man. Certainly Jeff wouldn't dispute that the PR and the Minolta are not desirable items to have in your arsenal, but like color sensing devices of any ilk that are portable, they have their shortcomings when attempting to be as accurate at the lowest light levels, compared to their consistent and fabulous results at higher light levels. For example, what is considered the next step up in color research tools from those two units, is the Minolta at $35k. That gets you a wee bit more accuracy at lower light levels. Even bench top devices that approach 6 figures will have some limitations compared to, oddly enough, something many of us already have possession of: two good eyes.

What Jeff and all of us would likely concur with is the notion that there is a point where the science leaves off and being an artist takes over. A "trained" person that announces they are a certified calibrator will at least have been made aware of when you are required to trade one hat (color scientist) for the other (color artist).
Merely having the tools does not make one a craftsman.
What Norm the carpenter can build with a Shopsmith doesn't mean Seth (not Schnaible...inside calibrators joke, and a weak one at that) the Amish woodworker can't equal by hand, sans the power tools.

When inquiring about a calibrator, references and reputation are good barometers as to whether they are on their game. Also their work load. While there are cancellations, if a guy can be over in 20 minutes, that might indicate that he is sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. If you find that you can't get in with your local guy for at least 3 weeks or so, it might be an indication that he's doing some business, spurned by demand and likely reputation.

The Real Picture
Scottsdale, Arizona
mhamilton@therealpicture.tv
ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Associate
TweakTV.com Contributing Editor / Reviewer
post #213 of 4064 Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is an evolving field. (simplified) In the analog world, it was get the gray scale as close as possible to D65, correct color decoder (if available) and properly set user controls and you had a great calibration.

Many consumers didn't know about the need (and still don't, for that matter). Many have heard of red push but don't know what it is or understand why it is there.

Now, the digital world is coming into its own. As displays continue to improve, calibration accuracy is becoming more important. Most digital displays have colorspace outside the standards and most don't come from the factory adjusted close to the standards and some displays have the controls to adjust the actual color of the primaries and secondaries to the standards. Making these corrections generates the need for different tools. The older tools make it difficult to accurately align the newer digital displays, they are just not designed for it. Just try doing a tune-up on a new car with old technology tools. In another life, I was all set; I had my timing light, dwell meter, Uni-Syn (Carburetor Balancing Instrument) and a screwdriver..I could really dial in a Porsche 911 with Weber carbs, now. Skill sets matter too, a framing carpenter may have difficulty building a piano, not to say he couldn't do it or learn to do it.

As with most professions, there are all levels of calibrators, some more proficient than others and some more efficient than others. Just because one calibration was 2-hours and one was 6-hours, it is no indication one was any better than the other.

Glen Carter<br />
Home Theater Calibration<br />

post #214 of 4064 Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

This is an evolving field. (simplified) In the analog world, it was get the gray scale as close as possible to D65, correct color decoder (if available) and properly set user controls and you had a great calibration.

Many consumers didn't know about the need (and still don't, for that matter). Many have heard of red push but don't know what it is or understand why it is there.

Now, the digital world is coming into its own. As displays continue to improve, calibration accuracy is becoming more important. Most digital displays have colorspace outside the standards and most don't come from the factory adjusted close to the standards and some displays have the controls to adjust the actual color of the primaries and secondaries to the standards. Making these corrections generates the need for different tools. The older tools make it difficult to accurately align the newer digital displays, they are just not designed for it. Just try doing a tune-up on a new car with old technology tools. In another life, I was all set; I had my timing light, dwell meter, Uni-Syn (Carburetor Balancing Instrument) and a screwdriver..I could really dial in a Porsche 911 with Weber carbs, now. Skill sets matter too, a framing carpenter may have difficulty building a piano, not to say he couldn't do it or learn to do it.

As with most professions, there are all levels of calibrators, some more proficient than others and some more efficient than others. Just because one calibration was 2-hours and one was 6-hours, it is no indication one was any better than the other.

Great Post, well said
post #215 of 4064 Old 10-21-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Amen, I couldn't agree more.

Re:Calibration
It may not always be bright, but it is never wrong!
post #216 of 4064 Old 10-22-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Hello gentlemen. I live in Sonoma County CA, and found 2 calibrators, that might suit me, but feedback would be appreciated.
One is Tony Probst, from AVcalibrations.com, the other is Robert Busch, of Busch Home Theaters.Any info on their knowledge/experience and their equipment they use?
My set is a Smasung DLP 1080p set, about week old.
Also Tony Probst offer a black material lining inside the TV claiming better contrast benefits, due to no false light reflections. Is this a proven method and worth it's additional $275.00 price.
Thanks a lot!

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #217 of 4064 Old 10-24-2006, 08:29 PM

Paradise Media Solutions offers a full suite of video calibration needs. We are ISF and HAA certified, as well as certified through the Sencore Academy for video and audio calibration.
Equipment we use: Sencore VP403C, ACP6500, CP5000, SP295, DAG5161, MX299.
We specialize in the light commercial industry and governmental institutions. The home theater is just as important and our services follow suit.
We are located in Northern Los Angeles County and have a widely dispersed service area.
You will find my company on the Imaging Science Website that also includes my company website.
post #218 of 4064 Old 10-25-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm based in the SF Bay Area, but will also travel anywhere. So far this has
included New Jersey, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, and
both No. and So. CA, tho I have had inquiries from as far away as
Iceland, Puerto Rico and the Philipines.

I have attended the Ampro, Runco, Sencore, Toshiba and Tektronix
schools, plus studied electronics theory and repair at Lane Community
College in Springfield, Oregon.

Plus the ISF Course - plus both of the special ISF courses offered
after the actual training days of the ISF training - from Jim Burns: on
aiming OTA HD antennas in difficult situations - and Jim Doolittle: on
the finer points of doing ceiling projectors.

In the last 20 years I have done Sony, Philips, Marantz, RCA, Hitachi, Panasonic, Zenith and NEC RPTVs, plus Sony, Mitsubishi, Electrohome, Runco, Ampro, Barco, NEC, Dwin, Seleco, Vidikron, Kloss and Advent front projectors.

My calibrations are not just the typical ISF calibration of simply
greyscale and user centers; they are complete stem to stern
calibrations, covering both optical and electrostatic focussing
(including precision blue defocussing and how it relates to the white
balance section of greyscale), professional optics cleaning, geometry
(precision picture shaping and placement), convergence, greyscale,
recalibration of user centers, and ardent effectiveness in dealing
with red push issues - universally prevalent in Mitsubishis, but also
present in many other brands. Unfortunately, this has to be
tempered by the ability of any set to actually allow for linear
color decoding response, and/or be re-aligned for achieving it.

When necessary, they also involve scheimpflug and astigmatism re-alignments - fine-point ops that are not commonly known about.

I will also greyscale any TV made, as long as accurate service
literature, if necessary, is available and on location, waiting for me
- including DVTVs, LCDs, plasmas, DLPs, etc.

As a repair tech, I also repair many brands of big screen, both FPTV and RPTV, and am presently specializing in keeping triple-gun Elite Pro HDreadys going, when they come down with some very expectable ailments, elaborated upon in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...88#post8728688

Please read immediately if not sooner, if your PRO 510/610/710 has had any intermittent problems, or your 520/620/720 or 530/630/730 as well.

Mr Bob

ISF Certified and Equipped

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #219 of 4064 Old 11-02-2006, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ISF certified, Master Technician license since 1971 in MA equal to CET at the time. I no longer do repairs, will refer to my trusted repairers while dong calibrations. Due to my experience, I can do a lot of repairs involved while calibrating in home..For example solder in a whole new jackpack that was broken by customer (or myself) and knowledge about new no lead high temp soldering. Test CRT's with my cr69 etc.
post #220 of 4064 Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone ISF south (way south) of San Antonio?

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
My Previous Non-Dedicated space
post #221 of 4064 Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
umr
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Anyone ISF south (way south) of San Antonio?

I have gone down there in the past, but I don't have any plans at this time.
post #222 of 4064 Old 11-09-2006, 05:37 AM

Liked: 11
Hi,
I am starting my part-time calibration services in the Raleigh/Durham NC area. I am ISF certified (trained by Gregg Lowen), and ColorFacts certified. I am experienced in CRTS, LCDs, Plasma, and front and rear projection systems. Currently I use CalMAN/ColorFacts with the Spyder2, Progessive Labs CA-6X, Accupel HDG-3000 signal generator, Avia and DVE, and the SONY PVM-96 reference monitor.

Dan Ellis
Display Calibration Services
919-616-5075
post #223 of 4064 Old 11-09-2006, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I have gone down there in the past, but I don't have any plans at this time.

Jeff,
Let me know if you ever head out this way. I'm looking to have my VW50 & 60XBR2 calibrated. Possibly even my 34" Sony tube. I may have a couple of other friends who may want ISF cal.

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
My Previous Non-Dedicated space
post #224 of 4064 Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone in the Cleveland, OH area that performs ISF C3 calibration on Pioneer Elite 1140? Please pm. Thanks!
post #225 of 4064 Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking for ISF calibration in Queens, NYC.
post #226 of 4064 Old 11-23-2006, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Can professional calibrators from another country post here too ?

If so, here goes.

We only use ISF Certified Equipaments, we're on Brazil (more specifically in Curitiba/PR).

If you're in Brazil, visit us at: hdvision ponto com ponto br

Thanks for your time,
Gradius

[]s,
Fernando
post #227 of 4064 Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

Looking for ISF calibration in Queens, NYC.

I have been flown out twice to New Jersey for cals in the past few years, and another trip might be in order soon. I stayed in Queens while there, exploring NY after the job was done.

If you want me to check with my big screen owner who flew me in then, and see if he's ready for another trip, let me know and I'll do both of your jobs while I am there.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #228 of 4064 Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 AM

can anyone recommend a calibrator for the Ocean county NJ area?
post #229 of 4064 Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody here used Audio Inc. ISF calibrators in Asheville, NC? I used the imagingscience website link posted back near the beginning of this thread to find this company. Just wondering if anybody here can recommend them. If not, does anybody know a great service here in Western North Carolina? I just bought a Sony KDL-40V2500. THANKS!

GT: irunnoft
post #230 of 4064 Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM

I just got a new Sony 70" XBR2, Anyone know of a Calibrator in my area they can reccomend.
post #231 of 4064 Old 11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Can Europeans post here too?

Sweden, Göteborg, here.

"Once you go BLACK you never go BACK!.." CRT forever!!!
info at cimagine.se
post #232 of 4064 Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Anyone recommend someone from the metro detroit area?
post #233 of 4064 Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Cinema-Pro Home Theater, LLC located in Tucson, AZ.

Greeetings,

I am the owner/President, and I perform all the company ISF calibrations. I have a uniquely related background; I am an award-winning cinematographer and camera operator whose credits include Twister, Star Trek: First Contact, A Time to Kill , Dante's Peak, The West Wing, Frailty, Alias and many, many more. I am a member of the prestigious Society of Operating Cameramen (S.O.C.) .

Although I use the leading essential tools, I have a uniquely experienced and artistic eye for picutre quality acquired from countless hours on the movie set, in the screening room, and supervising telecine transfers. I don't approach the process strictly as an engineering process. Being intimately familiar with the photographic phase, I evaluate and manipulate the display so that the results are not just an engineering achievement, but to make sure that the displayed media is faithful to the original photography and intent of the filmmakers; in some cases, actual feature films I have done. Although the process is significantly engineering in nature, almost every calibration inevitably has decisions to be made that cannot be (and probably should not be) engineering decisions. That is where my experience plays a significant role; making interpretive decisions where they are required with an inside perspective to the creative production process.

Calibrations are available on most major lines of conumer direct view, RPTV, and front projectors, and professional broadcast monitors. And yes, I do travel.

Cheers,

Randy Feemster, SOC
www.cinemaproht.com
www.rfeemster@cox.net
post #234 of 4064 Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post

Anyone recommend someone from the metro detroit area?

I'm looking too. North East Detroit area.
post #235 of 4064 Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM
DB2
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post

I just got a new Sony 70" XBR2, Anyone know of a Calibrator in my area they can reccomend.

Pat Bradley
www.hdtvguy.com

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
post #236 of 4064 Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Just purchased the Samsung 6188 and am considering having it calibrated rather than DIY. Still need to upgrade the DVD player. I've looked through the ISF listings and the list includes folks from Magnolia HT to individuals with no store front. Any recommendations or experiences in my area are welcomed.
post #237 of 4064 Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

COAST CALIBRATION, 2611-L Jefferson Street, Carlsbad, CA. 92008, William "Bill" Hergonson, www.coastcalibration.com, info@coastcalibration.com, (760) 599-8440

Glen Carter<br />
Home Theater Calibration<br />
post #238 of 4064 Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will be in Portland OR for Xmas from the 20th to the 28th.

Anyone who wants calibration or repair work done on their HDreadys while I'm there, should get ahold of me posthaste.

One more thing.

ALL CRT RPTVs need professional-grade optics cleaning every few years, due to the ionization caused by the 30K of HV inside, inherent in CRT use. This turns your optics into powerful dust magnets every minute the set is on. I recommend getting it done every year, which will keep it looking fresh and young forever.

If yours is 3 years old or older and you have not had your optics cleaned you are WAY behind, and are not seeing your set looking as it should. There's a bleariness to your pic that you shouldn't have to tolerate. Having your optics cleaned is like fast forwarding out of the underwater murky scenes in Finding Nemo to the crystal clear out of water scenes later on in the movie. It makes a dazzling difference in your picture.

Be sure to contact me for optics cleaning, even if you don't intend to have a calibration done on your set, if you own a CRT RPTV of any age past 2 years old. It is a fraction of the cost of a full calibration, and what it does cost should be simply chalked up to periodic maintenance of a multi-thousand dollar piece of gear.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #239 of 4064 Old 12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. That's why I have stuck with my ISF Optical Comparator thru thick and thin, and also now own a TVS Pro. I have personally pegged 2 color analyzers out there which had delivered excruciatingly dour pictures, and on the first one the calibrator had left it there, calling it good. I was able to head off at the pass the second one.

When double-checked, the first analyzer was found to be way off calibration, and last I heard the equipment was being sent back for re-calibration, and they were calling all their recent customers for re-dos. This was in Texas, many years ago. I'm sure they got that one straight a long time ago.

JUST TRUSTING electronic analyzing equipment is not the thing to do. You sometimes need double-checks, because instruments CAN lie to you. Analyzers should always be double-checked via optical comparators of some type - even if it's one of those D6500 phosphor Sony 9"ers - if there is ever any question.

The bottom line is how the picture looks, and one of my fondest memories is from when Scott Ross of Digital Domain - Best Special Effects Oscar for Titanic - put his DVD copy of Titanic on his finished set and said, "Yup. (grin) That scene looks JUST like it did in the movie." My thanks to Stacy Spears for his help on that one.

The best calibrator is the one who, when all is said and done, settles back and watches some very challenging video with his set's owner and after awhile of that, heaves a satisfying sigh and thinks to himself, "God, I'm good". And a gets a big ****-eating grin from his owner in response, because that owner KNOWS he's never seen his set look THAT good before.

Well said, Glen.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #240 of 4064 Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 PM

Looking for a recommendation of an ISF calibrator in the Tampa/Sarasota area for a new Sony Bravia 32" XBR2 LCD.
There are quite a few listed on the ISF site.
Any positive experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page