Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 322 Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 AM
fpr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
derekjsmith,

What you mean is that I tried to adjust the green and the blue to 93%?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 322 Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 AM
fpr

Hello derekjsmith,
I have read the "Calibration Guide" of Calman and the example that leaves is similar to my case.In the case of this guide it was solved proving with another Gamma.
When you say then adjust green and blue around that, what you mean?
It is necessary to consider that the SpyderTV PRO actually measures only two points in the grayscale (30 and 80 IRE).
post #273 of 322 Old 01-11-2007, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpr View Post

Hello derekjsmith,
I have read the "Calibration Guide" of Calman and the example that leaves is similar to my case.In the case of this guide it was solved proving with another Gamma.
When you say then adjust green and blue around that, what you mean?
It is necessary to consider that the SpyderTV PRO actually measures only two points in the grayscale (30 and 80 IRE).

What he means is that RED is the color you wont touch when calibrating for greyscale (or barely use it), use green and blue. For example, Mits3000UDLP, Red is maxed out, if I used red, it clips (dies out), so leave I leave it at default of 0, then reduce Green to bring RED up and teeter totter between green and blue to balance all three..

Yes on to consider that even if the SpyderTV pro actually measures only two points..because even if it only measures two points, your effecting the whole greyscale, not just 30 and 80IRE..

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #274 of 322 Old 01-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Hey. First time poster, long time reader of this great forum. I recently got the Spyder TV Pro, and I ran it once last night on my Sony SXRD (No, I don't have a green blob! ). Looks pretty good so far! My question is this:

I have all these other options -
DTE
Sharpness
Color Corrector
Advanced Iris
Detail Enhancer
Black Corrector
Gamma Corrector

Should all of these be turned off/minimized before calibration? Should they be left off after the calibration too?

Thanks for the info!
post #275 of 322 Old 01-13-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Will Spyder work with front projector? By facing it's sensor to the projector, not to the screen (like plasma, TV)?

Have anyone experienced this? How is the result? THANKS
post #276 of 322 Old 01-13-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

Will Spyder work with front projector? By facing it's sensor to the projector, not to the screen (like plasma, TV)?

Have anyone experienced this? How is the result? THANKS

Sensor FACING the screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 322 Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
The Spyder2 works very well facing the screen or the projector. In fact for very low light output you will get better results by facing the projector.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #278 of 322 Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

The Spyder2 works very well facing the screen or the projector. In fact for very low light output you will get better results by facing the projector.

If facing the PJ, how do you compensate for the screen? Screens have different gains and brightness that affects PQ.

post #279 of 322 Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello..

I have done this set with awesome results..

I left everything OFF, except the Detail Enhancer,DTE..

I beleive the IRIS setting was at 3 out of 5

Sharpenss set to what ever looks best to you..

Hope this helps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSU98 View Post

Hey. First time poster, long time reader of this great forum. I recently got the Spyder TV Pro, and I ran it once last night on my Sony SXRD (No, I don't have a green blob! ). Looks pretty good so far! My question is this:

I have all these other options -
DTE
Sharpness
Color Corrector
Advanced Iris
Detail Enhancer
Black Corrector
Gamma Corrector

Should all of these be turned off/minimized before calibration? Should they be left off after the calibration too?

Thanks for the info!

post #280 of 322 Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

If facing the PJ, how do you compensate for the screen? Screens have different gains and brightness that affects PQ.

Most screen's have minimal color shift and the gain should be linear. But if you did want to compensate for the screen you need to calculate the shift by taking a reading from the screen and then the PJ noting the difference in xy coords.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #281 of 322 Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Most screen's have minimal color shift and the gain should be linear. But if you did want to compensate for the screen you need to calculate the shift by taking a reading from the screen and then the PJ noting the difference in xy coords.

Oh I see. On the other hand this SpyderTV Pro rocks! I calbrated one of my HTPC that is connected to my PJ and all I can say is the difference is night and day On the software it shows you when you are finish calibrating the before and after result by showing you a picture. This only one source calibration so far. I still have my HD-AI, PS3 and XBOX 360 to calibrate.

post #282 of 322 Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just about to purchase SpyderTV Pro from Amazon, when I stumbled on this thread. I'm considering the purchase of CalMAN, so do I actually need the SpyderTV Pro package? Wouldn't Spyder2 Express (~$70) or STV100 Spyder TV Colorimeter ($199) suffice? That said, the cheaper packages don't come with a tripod mount, which I'd need.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #283 of 322 Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes the spyder2 express would suffice since the meters are the same. Check the calman site for tips on how to create a home-made tripod mount.

Best,
jeff
post #284 of 322 Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff, thank you.

post #285 of 322 Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

I was just about to purchase SpyderTV Pro from Amazon, when I stumbled on this thread. I'm considering the purchase of CalMAN, so do I actually need the SpyderTV Pro package? Wouldn't Spyder2 Express (~$70) or STV100 Spyder TV Colorimeter ($199) suffice? That said, the cheaper packages don't come with a tripod mount, which I'd need.

We have updated which low-cost meter we recommend, so you may want to look into that if you are going to use our software. However, if you are headed down the Spyder2 route, you can go with the Express without any worries. We support all modes, and a few Derek invented based upon the Colorvision building blocks in the SDK, to eke as much performance out of the S2 as possible.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #286 of 322 Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Bill. I actually placed an order for both the S2 and Pantone Eye-One Display 2 sensors.

post #287 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 12:12 AM

Liked: 12
I have a Toshiba 50HP16 and I recently purchased an AVIA DVD and got good results via the blue-bars test but I want something better that will calibrate gray scale without needing to eyeball it. After reading the posts above I'll most likely get the SpyderExpress package to get the colorimeter to do my LCD monitors then get the SpyderTV Pro upgrade for my 50" plasma. I've been reading a lot about RGB Cuts and Gains in this forum and I have gone into my TV's service menu to find what I believe are similar settings but I appear to have not just one cut/gain for each RGB channel, but three! I have the following:

R/G/B Drive(N)
R/G/B Cutoff(N)
R/G/B Drive(C)
R/G/B Cutoff(C)
R/G/B Drive(W)
R/G/B Cutoff(W)

I'm assuming drive=gain and cutoff=cut. So my questions are: what do the 'N', 'C' and 'W' signify and does SpyderTV Pro have the ability to adjust all three of these or just one? I should mention that this is from my component-input service menu, my VGA-input service menu only has the RGB Drive(N) setting.

*Note: I really have 18 individual settings but I combined similar Red, Green, Blue settings into one.

Thanks!
post #288 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Sorry to ask this:

Why would anyone buy this $400plus Spyder just to calibrate Plasma or LCD for ONE time only in few years?

Why we don't just rent this? Or some one start to provide a rental service?
post #289 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

Sorry to ask this:

Why would anyone buy this $400plus Spyder just to calibrate Plasma or LCD for ONE time only in few years?

Why we don't just rent this? Or some one start to provide a rental service?

For the reason why we are here at AVS. We want to get the most PQ from our viewing set. AVIA and DVE are not cutting it anymore for some of us. There is just no way in hell you can hit accurate readings based on 6500K by just eyeballing it. I tought it was enough by using these DVD calibration tools, but when I fired up the SpyderTV Pro, boy I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off

I will be purchasing PJs and LCDs in the future so this tool will pay for itself in the long run.

post #290 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

For the reason why we are here at AVS. We want to get the most PQ from our viewing set. AVIA and DVE are not cutting it anymore for some of us. There is just no way.

Bingo! Also alot of my friends have or will soon have HDTV's so it will get more than one use and I might even consider charging a small fee (~$25) to make up some of the cost that way.
post #291 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:

For the reason why we are here at AVS. We want to get the most PQ from our viewing set. AVIA and DVE are not cutting it anymore for some of us. There is just no way in hell you can hit accurate readings based on 6500K by just eyeballing it. I tought it was enough by using these DVD calibration tools, but when I fired up the SpyderTV Pro, boy I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off

I will be purchasing PJs and LCDs in the future so this tool will pay for itself in the long run.

I have still not tried a Spyder, and still waiting for the HD version of a DVD only tool to be released, but I was very surprised to hear Robert Heron at dl.tv state that he was not particularly impressed with the Spyder, and in fact he got just as good if not better results eyeballing it. Now granted his experience would make his eyeballing a lot more accurate than most people's, but an interesting comment to come from someone so experienced in this stuff (he's PC Mag's Display expert).
post #292 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

I have a Toshiba 50HP16 and I recently purchased an AVIA DVD and got good results via the blue-bars test but I want something better that will calibrate gray scale without needing to eyeball it. After reading the posts above I'll most likely get the SpyderExpress package to get the colorimeter to do my LCD monitors then get the SpyderTV Pro upgrade for my 50" plasma.

If you are buying the SpyderExpress package, you may want to check out this free calibration software first before you buy the SpyderTV Pro upgrade package.

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/index_en.php

There is also a complete thread here on AVS about the software, and the people who wrote it are even participating in it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=737550

And a short 'how to'.

http://geekwithfamily.com/2006/12/16...tion-software/
post #293 of 322 Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgx View Post

I have still not tried a Spyder, and still waiting for the HD version of a DVD only tool to be released, but I was very surprised to hear Robert Heron at dl.tv state that he was not particularly impressed with the Spyder, and in fact he got just as good if not better results eyeballing it. Now granted his experience would make his eyeballing a lot more accurate than most people's, but an interesting comment to come from someone so experienced in this stuff (he's PC Mag's Display expert).

He is one of a kind. Thats all Im gonna say.

post #294 of 322 Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Where is the best place to buy spyder tv pro, I saw it on Amazon for 450 a month ago but now its 500.
post #295 of 322 Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
The best place or the cheapest? :-)

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #296 of 322 Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

The best place or the cheapest? :-)

LOL ... $150 plus months/years of fixing your credit and recovering your ID ... humm ... where do I sign up.
post #297 of 322 Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
hehe....

the reason I posted what I did is that LionAV is now reselling Datacolor products. We sell at MAP and we support what we sell. Do you want best price or do you want the best support?

Happy tweeking!!

Gregg

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #298 of 322 Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I just received my Spyder2Pro and SpyderTVPro software upgrade. I've used the previous SpyderTV software, so I "thought" I understood how all this worked. Well, I'm dang confused.

First, is there a dedicated Spyder forum at ColorVision, or anywhere else? I looked around and didn't find anything. And the FAQ on the Colorvision site were quite weak.

Second, I get an error "file 316.bmp not found" when I launch SpydeTVPro. Once I bypass the error and continue to let the program load it displays a SpyderTVPro screen with menu options, but no wizard. Is there a wizard? How do you start it? Maybe the original error is aborting the wizard.

Third, I ran Spyder2Pro on my laptop and the results are horrible. Everything is very, very blue, but the red, green and blue bars are all within desired tolerance. Also, the calibration was nothing like I was expecting. My laptop (ATI video) allows me to control the brightness, contrast, and gamma for all three colors, and it displays a little graph. Unfortunately the graph has no labels, so I don't know what it actually corresponds to. I'm guessing that the left side is IRE0 and the right side is IRE100. When I change brightness it shifts the entire line up. When I change contrast is shifts the right most point, keeping a straight line to the left side. And when I change gamma it curves the middle point of the line up and down. So when Spyder2Pro asks me to adjust the settings for red, green and blue, how the heck am I supposed to know which setting to use? Am I adjusting for the left side of the graph, the right side, the middle? I was under the impression that the software would help me adjust RGB gain and bias. I figured I would adjust for IRE100 and then for IRE0, and maybe a few points in between. Perhaps that's what SpyderTVPro will do if I can get it to work?

I'm very confused. I'm probably missing something very obvious.

Thanks for your help.
post #299 of 322 Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

Second, I get an error "file 316.bmp not found" when I launch SpydeTVPro. Once I bypass the error and continue to let the program load it displays a SpyderTVPro screen with menu options, but no wizard. Is there a wizard? How do you start it? Maybe the original error is aborting the wizard.

Increase the color quality of your PC's display. They forgot a file you need for your color depth. If you switch to 32 bit color, you won't get that error and you'll get the wizard.
Roy
post #300 of 322 Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

Increase the color quality of your PC's display. They forgot a file you need for your color depth. If you switch to 32 bit color, you won't get that error and you'll get the wizard.
Roy

Wow! That was it. Somehow my color depth was changed to 16-bit. I changed it to 32-bit and the wizard launches. Very cool. Thank you!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page