SpyderTV Pro reviews. - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 322 Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SpyderTVPro prompts me to change gain/driver and cuts/bias/offsets for each color. My display has brightness and contrast (as well as gamma) for each color. So does brightness and contrast map into those other names?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 322 Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
slb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, RGB cuts/bias/offsets are the same as RGB brightness; RGB gains/drives are the same as RGB contrast.
post #303 of 322 Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Yes, RGB cuts/bias/offsets are the same as RGB brightness; RGB gains/drives are the same as RGB contrast.

Man I love the AVS forum. Ask a question and minutes later a stranger in another part of the world answers it. Wow. That's just excellent. Thank you.

(Unfortunately I guessed the other way round, which could explain why I was stuggling to adjust the color. OK, time to try again...)
post #304 of 322 Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I've been using SpyderTVPro for a few days and am thoroughly enjoining it. I think my picture is looking very good.

But I'm a little confused about the order of things in the Spyder wizard. I go through the RBG settings first, adjusting Gain and Bias, and I assume by the end of this phase I have "perfect" color. I've got all percentages within 1% of 100%. But then the wizard helps me change Color and Tint. Why does this need to be checked? Haven't I already set the color accurately? I'm worried that after I go through Color and Tint then it will screw things up and I need to go back though the RGB Gain and Bias.

Can someone explain this? Thanks.
post #305 of 322 Old 02-04-2007, 01:24 PM
slb
AVS Special Member

By adjusting the RGB settings, you are calibrating the gray scale. Color and tint are used for setting the color. Picture coloration is added on top of the gray scale. While the gray scale does affect the displayed colors, color and tint do not affect the gray scale. Think of the gray scale as a sheet of paper over which water colors are applied to create a color picture. Adjusting the grayscale is like selecting the color of the paper, while adjusting the color decoding is like selecting the color pallete of the paints.

-Steve
post #306 of 322 Old 02-04-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I see. So changing Color or Tint should change all colors equally, keeping the gray scale constant (if that's the right phrase)?
post #307 of 322 Old 02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If SpyderTV is hung on the tv screen, how does it see the whole screen or are the test patterns just displayed in the center? Do you see what SpyderTV sees on the screen, or just the charts?
post #308 of 322 Old 02-17-2007, 04:00 AM

Question to the owners of the SpyderTVPro.

I know that US market version comes with NTSC test pattern and Instructions DVD.

Does it also include a PAL DVD disc?
post #309 of 322 Old 02-17-2007, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machu1 View Post

Question to the owners of the SpyderTVPro.

I know that US market version comes with NTSC test pattern and Instructions DVD.

Does it also include a PAL DVD disc?

Yes.
post #310 of 322 Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm hoping some of you Spyder owners are on the RS-1 pre-buy list.

I searched the thread for RS-1 and got no results so if there is a long discussion please point me there.

My question is given the somewhat limited user available calibration adjustments does it make sense to buy this calibration system or any at all assuming JVC never enhances the calibration options?

(There is a lot of chatter around JVC eventually giving access to the LUTs and some hope of getting RGB cuts and gains but if we don't can this or any other calibration software do much to dial in the gray scale and improve the picture?)

Thanks for your time, LylePDX

Don't lose sight of the Big Picture
post #311 of 322 Old 02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a SpyderTV Pro in for review and some RS1s on order. While I will be calibrating the RS1s with my OpticOne probe and software, I will also cross check it against the SpyderTV Pro. So far, results have been what I expected, that is it does a pretty good job, but it's not as precise as using OpticOne (as you would expect). I haven't tried the other software (mentioned above) that can be used with the Spyder probe, but I'll be trying that next.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #312 of 322 Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

I have SpyderTVPRO and I'm curious how you think a calibration might be done with the RS1 given that you can tick off RGB gains and cuts in the software from Colorvision but according to the RS1 manual you only have RGB offset to work with?

In this case would you just not tick RGB gains and only go with the cuts and then work with the RGB offset on the RS1 or would you go at this another way?

Wayne
post #313 of 322 Old 08-17-2007, 10:18 AM

I just got Spyder TV pro (Used to have spyderTV) because i want to calibrate the gray scale on my Pioneer 507. But when I get to the gains and cuts it only says increase blue, nothing is shown in the colorbar but the 100% line. The lock is open. What can I be doing wrong? When I increase blue its just the same?
post #314 of 322 Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

TW ver spyderTVP also has PAL disc.
but I believe actually TW ver is 99.99% same as US ver but adds a very simple Chinese quick guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Yes.

post #315 of 322 Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to acquire a TV Pro these days? I don't see it on the Colorvision website. I'd like to have the automated process of the other settings not found in the regular TV version.
post #316 of 322 Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

Is there a way to acquire a TV Pro these days? I don't see it on the Colorvision website. I'd like to have the automated process of the other settings not found in the regular TV version.

You might be able to find it if you google it. It's now SpyderTV Pro 2007 and comes with the platinum version of the Spyder2 colorimeter (the same one that comes with colorfacts). The software is also updated.

I actually bit the bullet and picked it up and I really like it. On top of being able to get things really good with the normal wizard, you can also enable diagnostics mode by holding ctrl-alt and typing "sierra" (without quotes). This brings up the x, y, Y coordinates and the kelvin color. With this you can not only make sure your RGB is at 100%, but you can also make sure the coordinates and luminance are accurate as well!
post #317 of 322 Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM

hi guys, quick query. I've seen some pros (A/V shop owners primarily) using SpyderPro so I checked Amazon and found out that there's the spyder2 express, presumably for amateurs. Has anybody tried this tool already? If so how different is it from the flagship variant? Many thanks in advance.

drivehard
post #318 of 322 Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

the express is for an easy process to calibrate computer monitors. The Spyder2 can be used with the other software found around avs for calibration but as far as I can find none of the other softwares are easy to use with a guided setup process found in Spyder products. It's why I am considering finding a TV Pro
post #319 of 322 Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know the upgrade path if I have an spyder pro from 1.5 years ago???

I will call colorvision but curious if anyone has done it.

Larry
post #320 of 322 Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM

A few months ago I asked about it on the now-defunct SpyderTV forums hosted by LionAV. I was told that LionAV had an upgrade from SpyderTV Pro to SpyderTV Pro 2007 for something like $300-500. It is not clear whether the 2007 edition does anything new besides interfacing directly with Pioneer Plasma displays for automatic calibration. I was hoping that they had fixed some of the worrisome glitches in the TV Pro software.

Their tech support is awful, by the way. I opened two problem tickets back in January and have received no response yet. I also opened tickets on the spydertvpro.com site which had its own tech support system, and that web site has been shut down and replaced by something else.
post #321 of 322 Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
the website is still there.

www.colordisplaysupport.com

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #322 of 322 Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM

i have recently got my hands on a spyder tv and have been playing with it like a little kid . it has improved my picture but im still looking for more. should i stick with the default settings when trying this or our their changes i can make to help improve . also is their different software that can be applied. and last i read somewere to try it without the filter on it is this true
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page