SpyderTV Pro reviews. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 322 Old 09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question regarding using Spyder2Pro after using SpyderTVPro tuning. My understanding is Spyder2Pro will only calibrate to PC levels so wouldn't that will create an issue where Spyder2Pro try to expand your tune video level back to PC level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 322 Old 09-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

Just wondered if you had done the test that you mentioned with the pro and the pioneer 1920x1080p
Thanks
alwyn

Hello..

Sorry for the delay on this.. Will be doing the pioneer color adjustments next week.. Just waiting from pioneer to give the the procedure on how to change the white balance settings (how to get into service menu,and where in service menu controls are)..

Once I have this info, will play...
post #93 of 322 Old 09-29-2006, 07:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quick question - is it possible to buy the spyder2express (same colorimeter it seems) to use with calman?

"My other car is a seven"
post #94 of 322 Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorAtle View Post

Quick question - is it possible to buy the spyder2express (same colorimeter it seems) to use with calman?

Yes CalMAN will work with the Spyder2 Colorimeter from the Express package. The Spyder2 colorimeter is the same in all of the current Colorvision packages.

For the other types of meters, pattern generators and video processors supported see them on our support forum.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #95 of 322 Old 09-29-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

rjyap,

I don't know if this will answer your question but in Spyder2Pro, you can create all kinds of profiles which can be associated with whichever display device you wish. I have Nvidia 6600 GT video card as well as an applet from Microsoft and the Profile Chooser function from Colorvision that allows me to choose from these profiles which I've set up and you can configure them to either NTSC, 2.2 D6500, etc... The Spyder2PRO software defaults to 2.2 Native but that gave me a greenish caste to my images and I switched to 2.2 D6500 and I now use this profile for configuring the video card to work best with my projector. There doesn't seem to be a problem between PC and video levels. I use Theatertek and ffdshow as well.

Wayne
post #96 of 322 Old 09-30-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Hello..

Sorry for the delay on this.. Will be doing the pioneer color adjustments next week.. Just waiting from pioneer to give the the procedure on how to change the white balance settings (how to get into service menu,and where in service menu controls are)..

Once I have this info, will play...

Thank you for your reply,look forward to hearing your findings.
alwyn
post #97 of 322 Old 10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Hello all..

Finally got the service menu codes, now I can adjust white balance..

Will try to get the pioneer done on Friday afternoon..

If not, first thing next week..

Will post review on how a plasma performed with the spydertvpro..

post #98 of 322 Old 10-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry again for the delay on the testing with this plasma.. Works just has been so crazy this week

Next week is the week I will make time for the testing..

Will update then..

post #99 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 07:59 AM

Does the SpiderTV and the SpiderTV Pro use the same device just different software?

Don't go format neutral. Your wallet will thank you.
post #100 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. The colorimeter is the same in all of the Spyder products. The software can be wildly different though. For instance, I have Spyder2Express, Spyder2PRO and SpyderTVPRO (essentially SpyderTV software with added gains/cuts measurement capability) software and they all serve different yet related purposes.

Wayne
post #101 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there a big enough difference between the Spyder TV and the Spyder TV Pro to warrant the additional $400?

post #102 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I think there is. For about the price of one ISF calibration, you can have a product that will do any display device and last you for years. Besides, SpyderTVPRO will do RGB cuts/gains whereas SpyderTV basically only supports color, tint, contrast and brightness. You can learn how to use SpyderTV's hidden support mode along with rader's spreadsheet or Calman and do a grayscale/gamma calibration that way. rader's is free and Calman will set you back $100.00 so both are attractive options fiscally when compared to SpyderTVPRO. However, if you want the least time consuming and easiest route, then SpyderTVPRO is absolutely the way to go. I have the rader, Calman and SpyderTVPRO options and they are all good and work well and serve essentially the same purpose albeit the road traveled is a little different. rader's spreadsheet and Calman will give you oodles of ways to tweak and learn about your display device. It depends on how much time you want to spend and whether you like a fairly steep learning curve or not. To me, they're all accurate so it comes down to money and time in my estimation. If you are strapped for funds yet have lots of time and are a tweaker at heart, absolutely go for Calman. If you've got the dough but the interest and time don't match the cash, then SpyderTVPRO is for you.

In other words, you don't have to buy SpyderTVPRO if you already have SpyderTV. Just get Calman and utilize the support function hidden within SpyderTV's software. This way you save close to $300.00 on the upgrade path but it will not be anywhere near as easy as if you just upgraded to SpyderTVPRO. Ya makes yer decisions and ya lives with yer consequences.

Wayne
post #103 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Hmm. It's a shame that they don't sell the software seperately for a discount. I wonder if I can get the software used or something.

Definitely something to think about. Can you point me in the direction of rader's spreadsheet?

Thanks again.

post #104 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

brywalker,

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll fire it off to you.

Wayne
post #105 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Reading this thread I get the impression that when dealing with FP, reading the screen is the preferred method with this package. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, why? I'm used to reading the FP directly with my SMART III and am considering a change since a SMART run is as much fun as busted kneecaps.

Perhaps its wrong of me but I'm assuming screen neutrality. Wouldn't reading the the FP directly give you more accurate Black Level readings or is this meter that sensitive?

ted
post #106 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Reading this thread I get the impression that when dealing with FP, reading the screen is the preferred method with this package. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, why? I'm used to reading the FP directly with my SMART III and am considering a change since a SMART run is as much fun as busted kneecaps.

Perhaps its wrong of me but I'm assuming screen neutrality. Wouldn't reading the the FP directly give you more accurate Black Level readings or is this meter that sensitive?

ted

Yes reading the screen is preferred however on a good FP the light at a low level pattern is to low to be accurate even with the Spyder2 meter which does very well with low light. So you need to have a calibration system that can calculate the screen offset first. What this means is you take measurements from the screen and directly from the PJ with the same patterns, then calculate the offset. So now you know what effect the screen and room have on your picture so this can be taken into account to read directly from the PJ.

Derek

post #107 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Yes reading the screen is preferred however on a good FP the light at a low level pattern is to low to be accurate even with the Spyder2 meter which does very well with low light. So you need to have a calibration system that can calculate the screen offset first. What this means is you take measurements from the screen and directly from the PJ with the same patterns, then calculate the offset. So now you know what effect the screen and room have on your picture so this can be taken into account to read directly from the PJ.

Thanks Derek. Simple enough.

EDIT to ask:
CALMAN and/or SpyderTVPro are capable of calculating the offset necessary?

ted
post #108 of 322 Old 10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Thanks Derek. Simple enough.

EDIT to ask:
CALMAN and/or SpyderTVPro are capable of calculating the offset necessary?

ted

I don't know about the SpyderTVPro having this feature but CalMAN was designed around the ability to use screen and/or meter offsets for better accuracy at low levels. We also have auto exposure durations for the Spyder2 when it's being used in low light again for better accuracy.

Derek

post #109 of 322 Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

Just get Calman and utilize the support function hidden within SpyderTV's software.

Wayne - Please tell me you didn't use the support function and transcribe all of the readings manually over to CalMAN?!?! One of the things that sets CalMAN apart from the free alternative is that we do have interface directly into the Spyder2 or DTP-94 meters (soon we will release support for the Display2 and EyeOne Pro).

tvted - As Derek indicated, the feature he describes is something that we do, not the SpyderTV Pro. The STV Pro just does two point grayscale, in addition to what the STV and Spyder2PRO offers.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #110 of 322 Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the wake up call. I knew this but plead temporary (some would say I'm being modest) insanity. I think I was remembering how SpyderTV doesn't inherently support front projection calibration and got confused by further thinking that the support function needed to be enabled. Of course I've been able to calibrate with Calman using the Spyder2Express software so naturally SpyderTV would work as well as long as you have the cvspyder.dll file I assume.

There is a brief tutorial in your help guide near the bottom that explains how to access the support function. Is this still valid or necessary for any reason with Calman or is it something that was written for early users that's no longer applicable?

Wayne
post #111 of 322 Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the wake up call. I knew this but plead temporary (some would say I'm being modest) insanity. I think I was remembering how SpyderTV doesn't inherently support front projection calibration and got confused by further thinking that the support function needed to be enabled. Of course I've been able to calibrate with Calman using the Spyder2Express software so naturally SpyderTV would work as well as long as you have the cvspyder.dll file I assume.

There is a brief tutorial in your help guide near the bottom that explains how to access the support function. Is this still valid or necessary for any reason with Calman or is it something that was written for early users that's no longer applicable?

Wayne

Wayne - It's no longer necessary for any version of the Spyder. The "big feature" for v2.0 is the work Derek did in reverse-engineering the APIs for the Spyder series of meters. The X-rite and GMB meters actually have SDKs! If I can ever get back to my house in Houston to do some more work on the user manual (house hunting the last few weeks in Austin), this is one that will be made more explicit in the new manual.

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #112 of 322 Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

When using an upconverting dvd player, what colour space should be used (for 720p or 1080i)??

I am trying the pioneer dv-490v, and it has "component, RGB, "FULL RGB"??

Just want to make sure that when using this dvd player with sypdertvpro, I start with proper settings..

Thanx..
post #113 of 322 Old 10-17-2006, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I finally gave up on waiting for Colorvison to finalize their upgrade plans for SpyderTV to a SpyderTV Pro and just bought a complete SpyderTV Pro outright from Amazon, and by the tracking info I was sent I should have it by this Friday. At $370 for just the upgrade, it's somewhat overpriced considering what Amazon is selling the full product for. And if you sign up for that Amazon Visa card and get the additional $30 off, not to mention the free shipping at Amazon. You're really only saving like $40 by going with the upgrade offer. So for the "extra" $40 that my full purchase cost, over just a upgrade. I will either keep my old SpyderTV just to have a spare colormeter around, or sell it off to someone else.
post #114 of 322 Old 10-17-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:

When using an upconverting dvd player, what colour space should be used (for 720p or 1080i)??

I am trying the pioneer dv-490v, and it has "component, RGB, "FULL RGB"??

Just want to make sure that when using this dvd player with sypdertvpro, I start with proper settings..

Thanx..

I would have thought component was the one to use.
alwyn
post #115 of 322 Old 10-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

I would have thought component was the one to use.
alwyn

I forgot to mention that I'm using the HDMI connection.. Not sure if this makes a difference..

post #116 of 322 Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 AM

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I'm using the HDMI connection.. Not sure if this makes a difference..

Well the only problem with using HDMI is that for standard def. tv you can not get an interlaced signal which means the tuner box is doing the interlacing instead of either the pioneer or vp if you are using one,but either of these is going to give a better result than just the tuner box.but your results will still be helpful even with HDMI.
Thank you for all the trouble you are going to
alwyn
post #117 of 322 Old 10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Question on CalMan.

From what I understand, CalMan only works if using it from PC? Or is it possible to use it w/ patterns playing from dvd player?

Also, does CalMan walks you trough the process explaining what to adjust?
post #118 of 322 Old 10-18-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Question on CalMan.

From what I understand, CalMan only works if using it from PC? Or is it possible to use it w/ patterns playing from dvd player?

Also, does CalMan walks you trough the process explaining what to adjust?

CalMAN currently uses Excel on a PC to calculate formulas, display data, charts and graphs. The hardware interface for controlling meters and generators is written in C++ class librarys in a com object wrapper so Excel can talk with it.

For pattern sources CalMAN can use GetGray, Avia, DVE or any other calibration DVD disk that has grayscale patterns on it. CalMAN also supports direct control of AccuPel and Sencore calibration generators. It also has support for controlling DVDO and Lumagen video processors built in test patterns. We do have a HTPC mode where you can use your PC as the source, we have our own patterns or you can use the free Colorfacts pattern generator.

CalMAN has a calibration wizard where you enter your current settings and then run a grayscale set, it will then make recommended changes to your settings to bring your display into calibration.

Derek

post #119 of 322 Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry that I didn't ask on previous post. Will either of this products work on LCoS TV's ? At this point I'm torn between the SpyderTV Pro and Calman. Where can I get a Calman package w/ meter and how much?
post #120 of 322 Old 10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

Thanks for your reply.

At this point I'm torn between the SpyderTV Pro and Calman. Where can I get a Calman package w/ meter and how much?

We did have the SpyderTV + CalMAN package but they have all sold out very quick. So most just buy the Spyder2 meter from Spyder2express package for under $70, you can find it a CompUSA or other online stores.

You can get the GetGray calibration DVD from www.calibrate.tv $25

CalMAN you order from www.calman.tv for $100

Derek

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page