Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 848 Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If a calibrator is ISF Certified and has the latest and greatest equipment, does that mean that that person should be able to calibrate any rear projection set properly? Or should I look for an individual who has experience with my particular TV? (KDS-R60XBR2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 848 Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOW MAN View Post

If a calibrator is ISF Certified and has the latest and greatest equipment, does that mean that that person should be able to calibrate any rear projection set properly? Or should I look for an individual who has experience with my particular TV? (KDS-R60XBR2)

As I understand it, ISF offers courses, but do not certify as to competence. I would go with reputation, and experience with the set in question.
post #33 of 848 Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOW MAN View Post

Definitely not.

ISF does not teach ANYTHING about the image structure requirements of CRT technology, whether it's DV or triple-gun projection, RPTV or FPTV/ceiling projector. Optics cleaning, focusing, geometry, convergence, astigmatism, sheimpflug...these are all things that COULD come into play in calibrating a CRT based projector, and many of them are absolute staples, that have to be performed EVERY time. This is in addition to everything they do teach in class, which is needed on all display units, be they CRT or fixed pixel.

They mention red push and color decoding, but did not teach that either.

When I did my first ISF course, I was the ONLY calibrator in the class! It was made up primarily of HT retailers who needed to know in depth knowledge of the home theater business to be able to pull in those major investments, plus their installers. There were 30 or so in the class, and this included about half a dozen guys who were simply enthusiasts and they wanted to know more.

Now, there is no better place to learn all the ins and outs of home theater than in Joel's ISF class. Joel can tell true stories that most could only hope to be privy to - they are immensely informative and educating, and keep you spellbound all thru the class. I loved it! But they only have time enough for what they do teach. Which simply is not anywhere near enough to handle CRT projection technology.

Even if someone does pay attention in class and has the best equipment, efficacy is in the hands of the practitioner.

I agree, reputation and word of mouth is the best indicator out there, for how good a calibrator is.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #34 of 848 Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mr. Bob , Or anybody. Has anyone got a memo from Sony on what each of the DRC settings do ? Mode 1 (sugested most inputs), Mode 2 for DVD Players that up convert to 1080 I or 720 P, Mode off no adjustment. Some say DRC Mode off is better for sports , fast moving action.Here is two Places that a test was done, but not on the newer KDS-R 60XBR 2 . http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/1106hook/ & He also has a Web started.... http://hdguru.com/?page_id=2 I have looked at the Service Manual . I think Sony has a Teck. info if You have the password to get Manual & more sugestions on set up & what each mode does ? ...
post #35 of 848 Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 94
This is somewhat a change of subject; but still related to ISF. Does anyone know if when the tech calibrates grayscale on warm setting (SXRD XBR1) the flat scale also applies to "natural" and "vivid"? I realize that the overall temp will not be 6500k; I just wonder if these other settings are "flattened".
post #36 of 848 Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I always with My XBR 950 with close UMR settings,& Now SXRD XBR 2 set the natural for the best B&W Picture. Then use the same settings on all other modes. I use custom switch from Cool to Natural set the Blue Drive for White not blue in natural. Then look for Green vs. Red Drive for a natural white. Bias is in the Dark areas of the Picture. If all Your dark areas show Blue,Red,Green this is what You set. In the old days We would always have more Red because you lose Red on analog signals for fringe area's. Ah ! Was also going to the 6500 k. Remember Vivid is to sell TV's at the TV Store with the brightest Picture. So that is why You only get Cool, natural settings in Vivid. Warm 2 as You can see in the reviews is the best setting for 6500k. Some watch a B&W movie & say that's to Red . So warm 1 or Natural may look better for You. Look at Your DVD cases... Some show You a proof picture true B & W & or one with a 6500k Picture. Remember a true Calibrater & good equipment is the only way for perfection. If You get the Best TV of any brand... You need perfection...
post #37 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

htwaits -

Here's a new one, from my WA DC, Atlanta, St. Louis tour that I just arrived back from last night. It's post 139.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...80#post9794280

Also post 901 here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r+510+problems

You can find more about that tour if you go to the thread, "Mr. Bob does Atlanta", here on the AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...b+does+atlanta

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #38 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Here's a new one, from my WA DC, Atlanta, St. Louis tour that I just arrived back from last night. It's post 139.

Also post 901 here:

Thanks for helping my find these reports. I can follow only so many threads. They are included in the list now.
post #39 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

I'll be adding one for Eliab on Monday afternoon ...

I feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning right now ... hehe
post #40 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnick1976 View Post

I feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning right now ... hehe

Just wait until Monday night.
post #41 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for helping my find these reports. I can follow only so many threads. They are included in the list now.

Cool!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #42 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can a ISF calibrate your HDTV for video gaming? or is the only service they can do is for film material?
post #43 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce banner View Post

Can a ISF calibrate your HDTV for video gaming? or is the only service they can do is for film material?

I don't know what a "game" standard would be. You can PM any of the calibrators listed in the fist post of this thread and as them.
post #44 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce banner View Post

ISF calibration - or fullscale/fullservice CRT calibration, which includes the ISF aspects but is much more extensive than the standard ISF calibration - is there for you to create the most lifelike picture possible for you, and instill the most suspension of disbelief possible in your display system.

If that is what you are striving for in your video games, the same principles would apply.

In a word, yes.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #45 of 848 Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

ISF calibration - or fullscale/fullservice CRT calibration, which includes the ISF aspects but is much more extensive than the standard ISF calibration - is there for you to create the most lifelike picture possible for you, and instill the most suspension of disbelief possible in your display system.

If that is what you are striving for in your video games, the same principles would apply.

In a word, yes.

Mr Bob

You got your finger DIRECTLY on the pulse...

post #46 of 848 Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM

hope it is ok to post my results here...

Just had my Samsung HLS 5687 calibrated by David Abrams of Avical, and I am very pleased with the results. Even my wife who was very skeptical noticed a great deal of improvement in both color, overall "brightness" and shadow detail in the set. David was very professional and easy to talk to, and he even took time to explain in detail (without going over my head) what he was doing. Being a new home theatre enthusiast this is the best investment I have made, and would highly recommend him to anyone looking to get the most out of their home theatre investment.

Anyone looking for more specific information is welcome to PM me.
post #47 of 848 Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by selahsean View Post

hope it is ok to post my results here...

It's fine to post your report here, but it would help your calibrator more if you also posted in the owner's thread for your TV. You might find it a good place to learn about your new TV.

Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models

Quote:

Just had my Samsung HLS 5687 calibrated by David Abrams of Avical, and I am very pleased with the results.

I've included a link to your report in the list in the first post in this thread.
post #48 of 848 Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If you know of any calibration report, regardless of the display type, that's not listed in the first post let me know, and I will include it.
post #49 of 848 Old 04-08-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In Feb. I had my HITACHI CRT ISF Calibrated by Kevin Miller. His website is: www.isftv.com

Info already posted in HITACHI RPTV THREAD.

Kevin did an excellent job & was very professional. TV is now running @ 6500K

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=350&pp=10
post #50 of 848 Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Info already posted in HITACHI RPTV THREAD.

It will be a big help if you can edit in a link to this post. Thanks for the information.
post #51 of 848 Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Just had my kds60xbr2 calibrated by Les Holt of Pleasanton, CA. You can find info by searching the calibrators thread.
Prior to calibration my reds and black/white levels were quite off and I was getting alot of SSE and fuzzy images from my D* HR20-700 over HDMI (especially on HD sports where there was quite a bit of moving images). Planet Earth is particulary amazing now.
My SD over componenet was also calibrated and is excellent now
I will post settings later.
For gaming, we also calibrated an Xbox360 for DVD and it seemed to work extremely well for gaming. In darker areas I can see details that were totally blacked out prior.

Overall very happy.
-Austin
post #52 of 848 Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabock View Post

Just had my kds60xbr2 calibrated by Les Holt of Pleasanton, CA.

Thanks for your report. I've linked it in the first post.

It might help people find out about Les Holt if you put a copy of your post in the owner's thread for you TV.

Enjoy.
post #53 of 848 Old 04-18-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCor View Post

Hi, HTWaits, I was backtracking in a forum, and didn't realize you has asked me to provide a review of my calibration by Eliab. Here's a copy of the testimmonial I provided to Eliab:

Eliab,

We are simply amazed with the results of your 2nd calibration for us on our new Sammy LNS3241D LCD TV. The first calibration on our Sammy HLN507W left us in awe. It was a no brainer to have you apply your calibration skills on this set as well.

In both cases, you've enhanced our visual experience by bringing the images on screen to life. You've added a dimension of viewing pleasure to an already amazing product. Your work brings out the true potential of the device. Colors are more vibrant and lifelike, skin tones are detailed and precise, and dark scenes have good depth to retain definition and clarity. This adds to our overall viewing experience by giving a heightened feeling for the environment you are viewing. Whether its a bright sunny day or a cold grey wintery scene, your calibration accentuate the sets true capabilities which intensifies and clarifies the producer's genuine intentions.

Your skills are truly an art form. Along with your consummate professionalism, your services are invaluable to anyone that is seeking to get the best possible picture from their display unit. Your skills in calibration really make a huge difference in maximizing the potential of what the display is capable of producing.

Looking forward to securing your services on my next unit!
======================================

Thanks, HT, for requesting my review.

Thanks for PMing me the review.
post #54 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwb View Post

Here is the information on the ISF calibration done on my Pioneer Elite Pro-630 HD:

calibrated by Chuck Williams
cmwtek@aol.com
He's located in San Francisco, but used to be in Washington, DC (used to be the head tech for Meyer Emco) and often makes trips back east. He is an independent calibrator, now.

Chuck does a complete calibration, including cleaning. Picture was much improved after the calibration, and on this great RP CRT, the picture is incredibly life-like. I highly recommend him.

I had my Samsung HLM507W calibrated earlier this month by Chuck Williams. He did a great job with my first generation DLP. Black levels are now spot on. Excellent picture quality after the calibration. Great guy and highly recommend him. Contact him through the Lion AV site.

Kenny
post #55 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjemhadar View Post

I had my Samsung HLM507W calibrated earlier this month by Chuck Williams.

Kenny

Thanks for the report. I've included it in the first post.
post #56 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

Is there just one small post on a customer result for the Sony XBR1?

How about a
Toshiba 65H82 ?

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #57 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There's a result for the Toshiba 57HM167 here. Calibrator unknown.
post #58 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

How about a
Toshiba 65H82 ?

Quote:

There's a result for the Toshiba 57HM167 here. Calibrator unknown.

These are 2 very different machines. The first is triple-gun CRT, the second one a bulb driven device.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #59 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

These are 2 very different machines. The first is triple-gun CRT, the second one a bulb driven device.

Right...I didn't mean for my post to be a response to the previous post. Even if they were both DLP's, the calibration would most likely be different.
post #60 of 848 Old 04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It will be a big help if you can edit in a link to this post. Thanks for the information.

Here you go:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=350&pp=10
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 55a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page