Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 858 Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to give a big thumbs up to someone who is barely mentioned on the forums.

His name is Don Krasen, President of Krystal Clear Audio Video in Dallas, TX. Don spent two and a half hours explaining every step during the calibration of my Samsung PN59D7000, and providing me a few tips on how I can enhance my viewing experience with the equipment / lighting I have now, and advice on enhancing my experience in the future, should I wish to shell out a few bucks here and there.

This is my first pro calibration, and I am absolutely stunned by the results, and on top of that, you can just tell how passionate Don is about his work. He personally didn't need to come out today, but he decided to do the calibration himself because of how enthusiastic I sounded when I called to book the appointment.

Totally satisfied, and I'll definitely be calling Don when I need my displayed touched up.

Here's his link: http://www.kcaudio.com/

******UPDATE*****

Attached are the charts...due to a software glitch, both are titled "pre-calibration", but it's pretty obvious which chart is pre, and which chart is post calibration.

after.pdf 320.4931640625k . file

before.pdf 262.9404296875k . file

The finger thing means the taxes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 858 Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to someone who is barely mentioned on the forums.

Thanks for posting your comments.

You can help other owners if you repost your comments in the owner's thread for your display. It will help me if you include your calibrators (Don Krasen) AVS user name if it's different than his real name.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #693 of 858 Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 AM

Liked: 14
I would like to give Chad a big thank you for the fantastic job he did calibrating my D8000. Chad was here Monday and spent a total of 5 hours working on it a long with doing something's that he did not have to do for me. He arrived on time, was prepared to start and was very professional. You can deffinently tell that he knows what he is doing.
I am a DIY calibrator with my own meter and CalMan software. So as you can imagine I asked a lot of questions. Never once did I get the feeling that he was getting irritated with me for what I am sure were a lot of stupid simple questions. He answered them and tried to make sure I understood. Also I never felt like he was in a rush to get done and leave. Again he did some extra things that he did not have to do.
At the end of the day, all I can say is wow. I have tried many, many times to calibrate this tv but never got the picture to look this good. So if your looking for a pro calibrator this is the guy you want.
Thanks again Chad.
post #694 of 858 Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

I would like to give Chad a big thank you for the fantastic job he did calibrating my D8000. Chad was here Monday and spent a total of 5 hours working on it a long with doing something's that he did not have to do for me. He arrived on time, was prepared to start and was very professional. You can deffinently tell that he knows what he is doing.
I am a DIY calibrator with my own meter and CalMan software. So as you can imagine I asked a lot of questions. Never once did I get the feeling that he was getting irritated with me for what I am sure were a lot of stupid simple questions. He answered them and tried to make sure I understood. Also I never felt like he was in a rush to get done and leave. Again he did some extra things that he did not have to do.
At the end of the day, all I can say is wow. I have tried many, many times to calibrate this tv but never got the picture to look this good. So if your looking for a pro calibrator this is the guy you want.
Thanks again Chad.

Thanks for your report. If you can repost your report in the owner's thread for your display that will make it available to owner's of your model display. If you don't, I'll repost it later.

EDIT (05/07/2012) I've reposted your comments in the owner's thread for your model display.

Calibration Resources:

post #695 of 858 Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a pro calibratator in the Phoenix area?
post #696 of 858 Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post

Lee Gallagher - http://www.advancedaudiovisual.tv/

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #697 of 858 Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Agreed. I'll be using him soon for my Panny.
post #698 of 858 Old 06-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post

You have one of the old guard greats in Phoenix. Michael Hamilton of The Real Picture.

mhamilton@therealpicture.tv

Kevin Miller
ISF Technician
Co-Instructor ISF Level I & II Seminars
Display Product Development Consultant

Co-founder tweaktv.com
post #699 of 858 Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If anyone knows about calibration reports posted by owners that I've missed, please let me know where to find them. Otherwise I can only include the reports that I find in threads where I'm subscribed. All I need is the owner's comments about the results and the AVS user name of the professional calibrator.

Calibration Resources:

post #700 of 858 Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked: 10
I also want to say a big thank you to Chad Billheimer for calibrating my Samsung D7000 and also setting up my sound system and Harmony remote. Chad was everything and more that I had read on this forum about him. He arrived on time and worked till he had everything set up the way he wanted ( no short cuts) and made sure I was aware of everything he was doing and stayed till I understood how to run all the equipment with the new remote. I live in the middle of Kansas and he traveled a long ways to get here.
post #701 of 858 Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know of a good calibrator in the Northern VA area? Also, anyone have any reviews on Best Buy calibrators? Currently have one set up for Aug 4th for my VT50 but just by reading the forums I have read that its a mix bag..
post #702 of 858 Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarias2311 View Post

Does anyone know of a good calibrator in the Northern VA area?
Check the link in my signature at the bottom of my post. You can also PM turbe. He may be able to suggest someone. I would check D-NIce and UMR to see if they do tours to your area.
Quote:
Also, anyone have any reviews on Best Buy calibrators? Currently have one set up for Aug 4th for my VT50 but just by reading the forums I have read that its a mix bag..
I've never been able to collect BB reviews because they are all anonymous. In general, I would say that the ones I have read here at AVS are negative, but I have read a couple that were good.

Personally I would rather go with someone with a track record. My impression is that adding free calibrations to close a deal on a new TV is the main reason that BB offers calibrations.

Calibration Resources:

post #703 of 858 Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
just had my lg 60pv450 calibrated by doug weil/lion av & he did a great job. very informative & went through all the steps & explained in great detail what he was doing & why. highly recommend doug & his skills & calibration in general; definitely worth it. the pq on my lg was great before, now it's stupendous. had no idea my gray scale was so out of balance & that actually affects color balance. just watched the 1st episode of lost, blacks are stupendous now & green/blue pops! thx doug!!!biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #704 of 858 Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another big thumbs up for Chad Billheimer. He just finished calibrating my Panasonic TC-P50GT50 a couple of hours ago. He is very friendly and took took the time to explain what he was doing and answer any of my questions. He did a calibration in CUSTOM mode and also THX3D CINEMA mode.Picture looks great, I like knowing my TV looks as good as it can.
Will be using Chad in a few month to calibrate my projector.
post #705 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 12
Hey guys, I just got my Panasonic TC-P42ST30 calibrated by BB GeekSquad and I LOVE IT! Quick question, I don't think that 3D was calibrated. He calibrated all the inputs but when I call him on this matter, he just said to switch the picture mode to Cinema when in 3D which was the mode that he set the calibration to. When I switch it to Cinema, it was the default setting and I had to adjust it. Was my 3D really calibrated or not?

Thanks!
post #706 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiOBoY529 View Post

When I switch it to Cinema, it was the default setting and I had to adjust it. Was my 3D really calibrated or not?

Thanks!
You should ask the calibrator that question. If you thought he was calbrating all your inputs in Cinema mode then Cinema mode should not have had default settings. Maybe he didn't calibrate Cinema mode.

I've read only one report of a good calibration through BB where the owner was experience enough to evaluate the work they did.

What do the Cinema mode settings look like when you are watching a 2D movie? What about 2D TV?

In your case, I would start a new thread in the general calibration forum. You should get a better response that way.

Calibration Resources:

post #707 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
3D =/= 2D... you need to calibrate 3D separately. To calibrate 3D, you need to put your meter on a tripod and put one side of the glasses between the screen and meter; then you need to display the patterns in 3D mode and calibrate like usual.

Plus I wonder why he calibrated Cinema mode for 2D. Custom mode is better to calibrate.
post #708 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You should ask the calibrator that question. If you thought he was calbrating all your inputs in Cinema mode then Cinema mode should not have had default settings. Maybe he didn't calibrate Cinema mode.
I've read only one report of a good calibration through BB where the owner was experience enough to evaluate the work they did.
What do the Cinema mode settings look like when you are watching a 2D movie? What about 2D TV?
In your case, I would start a new thread in the general calibration forum. You should get a better response that way.

He did calibrate my tv in Cinema mode, I saw him the whole time. I just never saw him calibrating 3D. I knew he didn't do it.

Here are my calibrated settings for 2D:

Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 65
Color: 49
Tint: -6
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Warm
Color Mgmt: OFF
C.A.T.S.: OFF

I didn't see this pre-set when I switch to Cinema Mode in 3D.

I think it was my fault. I should have told him that I have a 3D tv. The calibration was free any ways because I'm a Premier Reward Zone member.
post #709 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

3D =/= 2D... you need to calibrate 3D separately. To calibrate 3D, you need to put your meter on a tripod and put one side of the glasses between the screen and meter; then you need to display the patterns in 3D mode and calibrate like usual.
Plus I wonder why he calibrated Cinema mode for 2D. Custom mode is better to calibrate.

I knew he didn't calibrate my 3D mode. Does it really matter what mode to calibrate in?
post #710 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

I think it was my fault. I should have told him that I have a 3D tv.
A calibrator shouldn't have to be told that the TV he's working on is 3D.

Quote:
The calibration was free any ways because I'm a Premier Reward Zone member.
Then you probably got your money's worth. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #711 of 858 Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Quote:

I knew he didn't calibrate my 3D mode. Does it really matter what mode to calibrate in?
To be honest, I haven't read up on the ST30 line much. Upon further reading, the ST30's Cinema mode doesn't seem to perform the same way the ST50's Cinema mode performs relative to Custom mode. The ST50's Custom mode is considerably better than Cinema mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the ST30 where they both seem to perform similarly after calibration. This is just looking at calibration reports and reading Chad B's review of the ST30. So in the ST30's case, it doesn't make a big difference whether he calibrated Cinema or Custom mode. Custom mode just seems to be able to get a little brighter. It also has the benefit of having a gamma slider.

Curious, did your calibrator go into the service menu to make adjustments? Cinema mode has to be calibrated in the service menu. And he DID have a meter, right?

I agree with htwaits... you shouldn't have to tell your calibrator that it's a 3D model. He should know or at least ask. He seems to think that you don't need to calibrate 3D.
post #712 of 858 Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 AM

Liked: 53
Most geek squad equipment isn't ideal for calibrating 3D but I don't know about your particular BB.
post #713 of 858 Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi AuDiOBoY529

First and most important information: Did you receive calibration report? What is in it?
Information you provided

don’t tell anything except that sharpness is set too high in this TV.

What about grayscale? How he set it?
What about color gamut? How it looks like?
What about Gamma? Did he adjust it? How it looks like?
What about Screen format, HD size? Do you have perfect pixel to pixel mapping?
What meter and what software did he use for calibration?
Do you have such information?

As someone already mentioned if his meter didn’t look at screen over glasses – 3D in NOT calibrated.

You should receive report with detail information before and after calibration in it.

Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #714 of 858 Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:

A calibrator shouldn't have to be told that the TV he's working on is 3D.
Then you probably got your money's worth. wink.gif
I know. I did get my money's worth. LOL!
post #715 of 858 Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

To be honest, I haven't read up on the ST30 line much. Upon further reading, the ST30's Cinema mode doesn't seem to perform the same way the ST50's Cinema mode performs relative to Custom mode. The ST50's Custom mode is considerably better than Cinema mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the ST30 where they both seem to perform similarly after calibration. This is just looking at calibration reports and reading Chad B's review of the ST30. So in the ST30's case, it doesn't make a big difference whether he calibrated Cinema or Custom mode. Custom mode just seems to be able to get a little brighter. It also has the benefit of having a gamma slider.
Curious, did your calibrator go into the service menu to make adjustments? Cinema mode has to be calibrated in the service menu. And he DID have a meter, right?
I agree with htwaits... you shouldn't have to tell your calibrator that it's a 3D model. He should know or at least ask. He seems to think that you don't need to calibrate 3D.

Good to know that Custom mode has a brighter picture.

He did go into the service menu and calibrate the Cinema mode. Yes, he did have a meter.
post #716 of 858 Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

Hi AuDiOBoY529
First and most important information: Did you receive calibration report? What is in it?
Information you provided

don’t tell anything except that sharpness is set too high in this TV.
What about grayscale? How he set it?
What about color gamut? How it looks like?
What about Gamma? Did he adjust it? How it looks like?
What about Screen format, HD size? Do you have perfect pixel to pixel mapping?
What meter and what software did he use for calibration?
Do you have such information?
As someone already mentioned if his meter didn’t look at screen over glasses – 3D in NOT calibrated.
You should receive report with detail information before and after calibration in it.
Regards

Hi Zygmunt,

I did received a calibration report. What was on there was just the pre and post calibration user controls and service controls.

Screen format is FULL. HD size is HD2. I believe HD2 is pixel to pixel mapping.

I'm pretty sure he calibrated all that grayscale, color gamut, and Gamma.

I don't remember the meter and software he use.

No, his meter didn't look at over glasses. Like I said before, I knew 3D wasn't calibrated. Thank god the calibration was free.
post #717 of 858 Old 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post

Agreed. I'll be using him soon for my Panny.

I'd like to thank Lee Gallagher from AAV (Advanced Audio Visual) out of Tempe, AZ. He calibrated the following displays for me a week ago in Glendale, AZ. Just finally getting around to uploading my reports

1. Panasonic 55" VT30 (including 3D)
  2. Asus VW266H (26") LCD computer monitor

Lee is very professional and very informative in terms of explaining what he is doing. Most of the basics I understand and he tries to get it across to you in laymen's terms. But if you're more advanced he can get more detailed as well. The basics were enough for me. He takes his time and did everything great. The biggest things he noticed where both displays out of the box were BEYOND bright! smile.gif So the main thing I wanted was a "softer" (some might even say duller) look and when I watch TV at night (ESPN Sportscenter as an example), I now don't feel like I need SUNGLASSES to watch my Panny! smile.gif Same from my PC monitor when playing video games. The screen is much softer and I can now switch between ISF Day & Night modes (or switch to THX mode which I did have on the TV all the time). And to top it off, he also calibrated my audio system as well!

Thanks Lee! For anyone looking to get calibrated in the state of Arizona, I recommend Lee Gallagher. His AVS Forum name/handle is the same: Lee Gallagher

Here are the attached reports. ISF (Night Mode:pre, post calibration), THX Mode (pre, post). Panny settings.
Calibration Report (ISF-Night) wo Address.pdf 613k .pdf file Calibration Report (THX) wo Address.pdf 613k .pdf file Panasonic TC-P55VT30 user settings.pdf 35k .pdf file
post #718 of 858 Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 AM

Liked: 13
Does anyone know a calibrater in the south Texas area
post #719 of 858 Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cev214 View Post

Does anyone know a calibrater in the south Texas area
Post in the thread that's linked at the bottom of my post. I was in flight school in Harlingen about 58 years ago.eek.gif

Is that anywhere near you? wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #720 of 858 Old 09-23-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

Post in the thread that's linked at the bottom of my post. I was in flight school in Harlingen about 58 years ago.eek.gif
Is that anywhere near you? wink.gif

I went through advanced jet (Korean war era F9 Cougar fighters) training at NAS Kingsville in 1969. Does that help? lol

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 55a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page