Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Post in the thread that's linked at the bottom of my post. I was in flight school in Harlingen about 58 years ago.eek.gif
Is that anywhere near you? wink.gif

I went through advanced jet (Korean war era F9 Cougar fighters) training at NAS Kingsville in 1969. Does that help? lol
You were flying really old crates. eek.gif
post #723 of 859 Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cev214 View Post

That's crazy, I live in weslaco,it's about 15 min away
One Saturday night a car load of us headed West on 83 because we didn't want to see the movie playing in Harlingen. It was Barbara Stanwyck, playing the bad rancher in a 3D cowboy movie. I don't remember passing through Weslaco, but the same movie was playing in every town along 83. We got to McAllen before we gave up and headed back to a hamburger joint in Harlingen.

Those were exciting days. They changed the movie every week, and after the first ten weeks, we had one night out every week. smile.gif
post #724 of 859 Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had Doug Weil -Clearly Resolved- Do my calibration on my Panasonic 65vt50 and the picture is awesome. Doug is very nice and through throughout the entire process. An individual with a couple tools and dvds cannot get the same result. If you need and/or want a professional calibration you cannot go wrong with Doug.
post #725 of 859 Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 45
im looking for isf calibrator in new york area, i have LG55LM7600. and how much it cost and how many hours to be calibrated so that i can manage my time from work. thanks.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #726 of 859 Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

im looking for isf calibrator in new york area, i have LG55LM7600. and how much it cost and how many hours to be calibrated so that i can manage my time from work. thanks.
To locate qualified calibrators in your area use the link in the signature area at the bottom of my post.
post #727 of 859 Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Just had my Panasonic 60ST50 calibrated by Don Krasen with Krystal Clear Audio Video in Dallas, TX. This is the second display that Don has calibrated for me. First, he calibrated my Samsung PN59D7000, which met with an unfortunate accident, and then after breaking in my Panny, I called him up and scheduled an appointment.

The end result is pure magnificence. I highly recommend Don if you need an ISF calibration in the Dallas area.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #728 of 859 Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

Just had my Panasonic 60ST50 calibrated by Don Krasen with Krystal Clear Audio Video in Dallas, TX. This is the second display that Don has calibrated for me. First, he calibrated my Samsung PN59D7000, which met with an unfortunate accident, and then after breaking in my Panny, I called him up and scheduled an appointment.

The end result is pure magnificence. I highly recommend Don if you need an ISF calibration in the Dallas area.
Is Don Krasen active here at AVS? If so, can you post his user name? smile.gif
post #729 of 859 Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Nope, I don't believe he is. I found him on the ISF website.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #730 of 859 Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

Quote:

Nope, I don't believe he is. I found him on the ISF website.
OK. Thanks.
post #731 of 859 Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM

I purchased a Panasonic 55" ST50 in July of this year. It is a great set, and I was happy with the picture quality I was getting using settings I obtained from David Katzmaier's article on CNET. However it was clear to me that the picture was far from perfect and I was pretty sure that a professional calibration would significantly improve the picture quality. I wasn't wrong.

I contacted Greg Loewen and we set up an appointment for early this past week when he was going to be in my area. Greg sent me very clear instructions on how to prep my viewing environment for him to do his best work. He arrived on time and proceeded to spend the next few hours calibrating the display and explaining to me what he was doing.

He did a great job, and was very patient with my questions. I won't pretend I absorbed it all, but I'm definitely more informed than I was before.

To best evaluate his results, I rewatched some material with which I was already familiar. There was great improvement. The picture really popped. Flesh tones looked more natural, detail in dark areas was more notable and the whole image looked brighter without feeling washed out. The difference was subtle but quite significant.

I had also asked Greg to adjust my audio system which he was happy to do. I have a Yamaha RX-V673 Receiver but felt that the sound felt muffled and dialog sometimes a little hard to understand. Greg changed the settings of my front and center speakers from large to small, moved my center speaker forward to the front of the cabinet it sits upon, and adjusted distance and levels. The change was significant. The bass is much more impressive and dialog is much easier to understand.

I highly recommend Greg's work to anyone looking for a calibration for their HDTV. I'm attaching his calibration report for those who might be interested. Greg Loewen calibration report.pdf 2423k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Greg Loewen calibration report.pdf (2.37 MB, 74 views)
post #732 of 859 Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'm unable to read all the threads that might contain owner reports about their professional audio/video calibration experiences. If anyone spots a newish report, please PM me or post it's location here in this thread.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #733 of 859 Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just got my Panasonic ST50 55 inch plasma calibrated by Jeff (UMR) at AccuCal. He says the results are better than some VT50s he has seen.

Full set of measurements and settings, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397245/official-panasonic-st50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/7590#post_22677101

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #734 of 859 Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

post #735 of 859 Old 12-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
If you are looking for calibration in the Phoenix AZ area I can recommend Lee Gallagher at www.advancedaudiovisual.tv I recently had my Sharp 60" 847u calibrated by Lee. I had been using settings posted on AVS that I just wasn't quite happy with. Post Calibration I now see what this set is really capable of. Lee was able to access ISF Day and Night modes and I now notice greater detail specifically with shadows in darker scenes and am now confident that I have supreme color accuracy.

Lee was great to work with, showed up to my house a few mins early and even gave me some advice on my audio set up. Two thumbs up! biggrin.gif
post #736 of 859 Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM

I'm in Surprise (Phoenix) AZ.

Lee Gallagher is personable, professional, and explains things well. There is no doubt he wants to provide you a viewing experience that is the best it can possibly be for your environment using your video sources the way you normally watch them.

I think I found his info from this forum but just in case:
http://www.advancedaudiovisual.tv/services.php

I want to give a specific example. I think this is above and beyond. I bet Lee would consider it just part of providing good service.

My 3D is via shutter glasses. That darkens the viewable image. The lenses on the glasses also introduce a color tint. After calabrating for all four of my imput sources Lee went through my two 3D capable input sources and again adjusted everything using the glasses as a filter on the imaging calibration device (the camera). Doing this invloved him holding the glasses so they were centered and level for each and every test image capture. I now have a preset that accurately adjusts the display to compensate when viewing through the glasses.
post #737 of 859 Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you for the kind words, Gentlemen. I am glad I could be of help.

Lee Gallagher
Imaging Science Professional
THX Certified Professional

Advanced Audio Visual
www.advancedaudiovisual.tv
post #738 of 859 Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

updated my posts above with Jeff's AVS username (UMR), to make them easier to capture in the first post of this thread

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #739 of 859 Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks everyone for posting your calibration impressions. I'll get them linked into the lists at the top of this thread soon. If you haven't done so already, it's great if you post the same information in the owner's thread for your display. Doing that will be easier for other owners of your display to read your comments.

Jeff (UMR) was at my house Monday to redo our audio after I changed our AVR. As always he did a great job.
nathan_h likes this.
post #740 of 859 Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Liked: 12
I already posted in the gt50 thread about some of the technical success of chad b's calibration, but I wanted to chime in here to comment on his professionalism, conduct, and overall customer service.

Chad was perfectly on time, and I happened to be his first ever "geek buster" calibration. His knowledge of my set was impeccable, and even though he did finish in his advertised "90 minutes", he took the time to answer all my questions as well as to clarify certain things he was trying to accomplish, all while I was running back and forth trying to also take care of 2 kids. Again his knowledge of my set was quite startling to the point of where it seemed he knew already where to take it before he even got there, if that makes sense. He was able to calibrate service menu grayscale, do a day and night mode, answer all sorts of questions, take the time to explain further as needed, ask me all sorts of questions about my viewing, all within 90 minutes while never looking like he was rushing and being very laid back overall. The level of precision and efficiency he displayed was remarkable.

I felt chad truly was interested in my normal viewing environment and viewing preferences, and his questions for me were greatly appreciated. One thing I noticed is that his calibration really took into account what would be normal viewing content under normal lighting, which ultimately led to a calibrated viewing experience that my wife and I are really enjoying at all times of the day with a variety of different content. The result was breathtaking and though I've had a previous set calibrated I could not believe how much chad had improved my picture. My technical knowledge of calibration is limited but it was clear chad is an invested and highly capable calibrator - I commented how his windows seemed small to which he replied he has done a lot of research on window size and its effect on measured performance as well as its correlation to real life viewing. This was also evident when I asked about the use of patterns/windows at 75% saturation level vs 100% saturation, which he explained was closer to real life viewing content and would have a stronger correlation to better viewing performance.

Overall the whole experience was as close to perfect as I could expect. Chad is super friendly and personable, and asks great questions and takes the time to really listen to what you are looking for. The geek buster calibration he offers is a no brainer IMO for anyone looking to get a set that does not have a CMS or limited calibration options - what he was able to achieve on my gt50, which by all accounts is pretty solid OOB, still leaves me in disbelief.

I hope the above comprehensively conveys that I can fully endorse the calibration services of chad b and am more than happy to provide a personal reference to anyone that needs it.
post #741 of 859 Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recstar24 View Post

I already posted in the gt50 thread about some of the technical success of chad b's calibration, but I wanted to chime in here to comment on his professionalism, conduct, and overall customer service.
Thanks. Enjoy. biggrin.gif
post #742 of 859 Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Does any one have experience with William B Hergonson, owner of Coast Calibration www.coastcalibration.com

Certifications: HAA Level I Certification, HAA Level II Guru & ISF level II Certified calibrator!

I am now thinking to do that myself on the audio side using the XTZ Room analyzer II Pro (http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/measurement-system/xtz-room-analyzer-ii-pro) or the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite™ (http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx)
post #743 of 859 Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Does any one have experience with William B Hergonson, owner of Coast Calibration www.coastcalibration.com

Certifications: HAA Level I Certification, HAA Level II Guru & ISF level II Certified calibrator!
I am now thinking to do that myself on the audio side using the XTZ Room analyzer II Pro (http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/measurement-system/xtz-room-analyzer-ii-pro) or the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite™ (http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx)
Once you get the info with the software....will you know what to do with it....that's normally what you pay a calibrator for.

Just my $.02
RayJr
post #744 of 859 Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

If he has been active at AVS you can find his user name using the "locater" link in the signature area at the bottom of my post. Once you have his AVS user name, you can use the other link to see if there are any reports on his work.

The calibrators who have AVS members reporting on their work tend to be very good. You could just ask him if he's active here.

Another source of calibrator information would be turbe. Either contact him with a PM or check the links in his posts.
post #745 of 859 Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM

I'm In NE Phoenix and I also had Lee Gallagher perform a calibaration on my 65VT50 plasma set. This was my first calibration and Lee took the time to explain everything that he was doing and answer any questions I had. Using CalMan (he also uses ControlCAL) , he described each process he went through. Lee was very professional and I must say the results are pretty amazing. Thanks Lee for everything, the set is simply amazing now! If you're in and around Phoenix/Arizona I can certainly recomend Lee at Advanced Audio Visual.
post #746 of 859 Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstephns View Post

I'm In NE Phoenix and I also had Lee Gallagher perform a calibaration on my 65VT50 plasma set. This was my first calibration and Lee took the time to explain everything that he was doing and answer any questions I had. Using CalMan (he also uses ControlCAL) , he described each process he went through. Lee was very professional and I must say the results are pretty amazing. Thanks Lee for everything, the set is simply amazing now! If you're in and around Phoenix/Arizona I can certainly recomend Lee at Advanced Audio Visual.

You're very welcome, Dave. And thank you. I really appreciate it!

Lee Gallagher

Advanced Audio Visual
post #747 of 859 Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstephns View Post

Yes using Controlcal to input your ISF settings is a nice touch. If you ever had to do a factory reset on your VT50 you will only have to buy Controlcal to reenter your ISF settings not Calman, a savings of $150.
Of-course that's saying you have a copy of Controlcal's inputted settings, not just Calman's inputted settings.

ss
post #748 of 859 Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently had Doug Weil (droptheremote) calibrate my Panasonic 55ST50. He had previously calibrated my Toshiba LED but it was stolen when my house was broken into. First let me say that plasmas have a way better picture than LCDs. I used Cnet settings in the mean time before the actual calibration. When Doug measured those settings it was off quite a bit. This goes to show that copying settings from someone else will not produce the same results. Doug took his time and explains what he is doing and why through each step. When he was done we viewed some material to make sure I was satisfied with the results. I put on The Dark Knight Rises and all I can say is WOW! Everything looked so natural and not over saturated. I highly recommend Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved Image & Sound for your calibrating needs.

I came...I saw...I bought an HDTV
PSN ID: dlawso235

post #749 of 859 Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM

Just last week I had my Panasonic TC-P60U50 calibrated by Lee Gallagher at Advanced Audio Visual in Phoenix. This is the fourth TV since 2006 I've had Lee calibrate for me and it won't be the last. He does an amazing job. His professionalism and attention to detail are to be commended. The results Lee gives are nothing short of spectacular. Lee even took the time when I was looking to purchase my new TV to give suggestions on displays he's calibrated and which ones he would recommend, and for that matter, not recommend.

I was lucky enough to come across Lee back in 2006 when I was looking to have my Mitsubishi RPTV calibrated, and am fortunate that I did. There's not enough words to say what a great job he does on his calibrations. I've had my fathers TV calibrated by him and have recommended his services to friends and co-workers.

Lee does an amazing job and I highly recommend Lee. Thanks Lee for everything.
post #750 of 859 Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM

Mike,

Thank you for your loyal business and the kind words. I am glad I was able to help increase your enjoyment with all of your display devices.
Just a reminder to contact me in a month or two for your complimentary evaluation and touch-up to account for any drift that may occur.

Happy Viewing!

Lee Gallagher

Advanced Audio Visual
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 55a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page