Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am sorry what is blacker than black or whiter than white???

If you put more value in Calibration...my guess is that your calibrator would have explained below black and above video white to you. wink.gif

Just my $.02
RayJr
Gregg Loewen and htwaits like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Impressive list of equipment! Still my budget doesn't allow me to spend that much on calibration wink.gif
What a massive disconnect with the links in your signature area showing you with an amazing inventory of very high end gear, and a dedicated home theater room that appears to be easily in a six figure range. Enjoy. rolleyes.gif
Rayjr likes this.
post #813 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What a massive disconnect with the links in your signature area showing you with an amazing inventory of very high end gear, and a dedicated home theater room that appears to be easily in a six figure range. Enjoy. rolleyes.gif
+1
Could not have said it better myself.
post #814 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Quote:

Impressive list of equipment! Still my budget doesn't allow me to spend that much on calibration wink.gif
Each of us is entitled to our own sense of priorities. No appeal to logic will change some people's sense of proper order.

Those of us who strive for the best performance from our equipment see proper calibration differently. For some other people, it's analogous to purchasing a high performance automobile, but never getting it tuned up properly. A mechanic working at a Ferrari dealership costs more than one at Pep Boys, a Goodyear Service Center, the corner ASE garage, or a DIY with some tools and a manual. A Farrari will still go pretty fast out of tune (except in extreme cases), handle better than most cars on the road, and still looks cool.

It's acceptable to some consumers to pay for a superior product but never realize its full potential performance. It's tough to really miss something you have yet to experience. There is also no shortage of audio/videophiles who don't understand as much as they think they do.
htwaits likes this.
post #815 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

WSE, what is your angle / axe to grind? Please be straight forward or stop your whining.

My rates are on my website and have not changed for a decade. Usually $ 50 travel, and $ 400 for a display calibration. Extra work involving external video processors is extra. My day rate is $1100.

I also do audio calibrations and have taught the THX HT classes. While I know audio extremely well I do not consider it my forte. In relation to audio I can assist 95 % of the population at a very reasonable cost. If I can not assist a person to audio perfection I will make a recommendation to an appropriate acoustical engineer.

For video I carry with me and use: PR 670 ($24000), JETI 1201 ($7500), K10 ($7000), QD780A ($6500), Accupel 5000 ($1700). In addition to 3 laptops, cabling, and test discs. I have been performing calibration, consulting, and video educational services well more than a decade.

For audio I carry with me and use: Sencore 495, (w 4 mic multiplexer) ($4000), Ipad with ipro kit ($3500), laser distance measuring tools, spl tools, etc etc.

Considering the amount of money that most of my clients have invested in their systems, and also that the clients value hearing and viewing the best possible images and sound (within their limited time schedules) my pricing is extremely reasonable.

IMO and FWIW,

Gregg Loewen

At this point it is obvious to see a troll as a troll and to label them appropriately then move on.

Sorry to other participants for taking up bandwidth.

I'm going to morph back into the wood work now.

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #816 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I guess all of you are so super smart, and I am so stupid for not be willing to pay so much for calibration! At $200 an hour it seems a bit high but this's just me. Anyway thanks to all for being so pleasant rolleyes.gif
Who brought your unexplained attitude that calibration isn't worth the cost to this thread? The only information you brought along with your attitude toward calibration are some prices without attribution - who's prices for doing what. My ten day old calibration done in California by D-Nice from South Carolina worked out to be $120/hr which matches the shop rate for our 2000 Avalon. I would think you would like that since you like to drive your second hand cars for 15 years.

You've posted nothing about where you got your cost information or what services they are meant to cover. You've discussed nothing with the group of professionals (I'm not a professional.) who replied to the attitude you expressed. All hat, no cattle.

The rates I have direct personal experience with have been a fixed price ($400 most often) for a single calibration for as many hours as it take to complete the work to the calibrator's and my taste or standards. I have personal experience with two instances where the calibrator came back on a subsequent tour to redo something because of a firmware fault in the display, and a dead amp in a sub-woofer. If the pay of those calibrations were computed based on an hourly rate it would have meant a rate below $50/hr.
GeorgeAB likes this.
post #817 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

I guess all of you are so super smart, and I am so stupid for not be willing to pay so much for calibration! At $200 an hour it seems a bit high but this's just me. Anyway thanks to all for being so pleasant rolleyes.gif
Post #823 nails it.
post #818 of 858 Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
"I certainly don't see anything out of line about what Gregg charges. Some consumers are just not flush enough to afford it." (me talking)

When I wrote this a few minutes ago I had not clicked on his link about what his equipment is. Please allow me to take that back. He's definitely flush enough.

When someone with good equipment, much less esoteric equipment, uses the word "humble" to describe it, that's usually a demure move that impresses me. When he then says $400 for a calibration is "expensive", when that's such a drop in the bucket compared to even 1 piece of his equipment - and all of us here know the kind of money one pays for that echelon of equipment we are really talking about - it all comes apart and unravels.

What Gregg charges is not "expensive" in the grand scheme of things, esp. when it will take eons of calibrations for Gregg to even begin to recoup his investment in his equipment, much less what he's paid for the professional training all of us calibrators pay for as well, to get our certifications. He hasn't even mentioned that. Believe me, it's not cheap.

If WSE considers it expensive, then he must not have that as a priority in his life. I am with Gregg. We work for those where the finest picture possible is their priority, and we really don't have a taste for working with those who don't.

Nothing personal, WSE, just business. I am sure your set looks just fine to you and you accept that it needs no improvement for your tastes.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #819 of 858 Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The rates I have direct personal experience with have been a fixed price ($400 most often) for a single calibration for as many hours as it take to complete the work to the calibrator's and my taste or standards. I have personal experience with two instances where the calibrator came back on a subsequent tour to redo something because of a firmware fault in the display, and a dead amp in a sub-woofer. If the pay of those calibrations were computed based on an hourly rate it would have meant a rate below $50/hr.

Allow me to share part of a review from one of my customers on Yelp! (You can find the entire review on the Image Perfection/San Lorenzo CA page, on page 2 of the "Not currently recommended" section, where all 18 of my reviews reside. For some God forsaken reason - they are all legit, but of course Yelp! cares nothing about that...)

rolleyes.gif

Keep in mind that this was a CRT RPTV, so naturally it takes more than twice as long as the standard fixed pixel flat panel of today:

"...he takes great pains to get things to his very high standards. Had I been paying him by the hour, I would have insisted things were good enough long before he found things to his standard. Since it wasn't hourly, what a delight to watch perfection in action and the consequent results. He spent 10 hours and only a little of that was sitting down to enjoy watching a dazzling picture."

I don't count the hours it takes till the cal is finished, and only to know what kind of timing to expect for planning future cals. (And a bit of curiosity, I must confess, for what the hourly would have been...) Fixed rates all the way, on calibrations and their extras no matter how long it takes. Always have.

I am sure Gregg does the same.

b
htwaits likes this.

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #820 of 858 Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bob, what I've always thought when I read detailed reports about your work is that you are also in the restoration business. What you do to recover classic CRT RPTV sets is amazing. Best wishes. smile.gif
Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #821 of 858 Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

wink.gif

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #822 of 858 Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I wish you all the best rolleyes.gif
htwaits likes this.
post #823 of 858 Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi all, long-time lurker, recently joined from South Florida.  I'm the proud owner of a 60" Panasonic ZT60 that was recently calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lionav fame.  I bought the ZT in November last year thinking this might be the best and last plasma Panasonic will ever make, which turned out to be the case.

First off, Gregg did a solid job in explaining/describing each step of the calibration process which I found really interesting.  After he was finished, the picture, which was great to begin with prior to calibration, was incredible.  Brighter, dark scenes had the inky blacks that the best plasmas show, the colors on the screen definitely had more "pop", and faces on the screen had a dimensionality to them that just didn't exist in Cinema or any of the other pre-set modes.

The ZT60, to my eyes, is plenty bright for daytime viewing in my living room and in the evening you truly see what this Panny is capable of when you throw a good blu-ray its way.  Professional job well done.  Much appreciated Gregg!

Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #824 of 858 Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Liked: 10
Hey my fellow home theater enthusiasts:

I recently had my Panasonic 60ST50 calibrated by Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved Image & Sound, and he did an absolutely amazing job. I previously had my set calibrated, and thought I had a great looking display, but after Doug was done, I now know what my Panny is truly capable of. The picture it produces truly is gorgeous.

He explained every step of the calibration process, and went over both the post and pre calibration reports for my Panny in detail. He was thorough, professional, and just all around pleasant to work with. Doug will definitely be the first person I contact if I need a calibrator from here on end. Thanks Doug!

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #825 of 858 Old 03-17-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

Hey my fellow home theater enthusiasts:

I recently had my Panasonic 60ST50 calibrated by Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved Image & Sound, and he did an absolutely amazing job. I previously had my set calibrated, and thought I had a great looking display, but after Doug was done, I now know what my Panny is truly capable of. The picture it produces truly is gorgeous.

He explained every step of the calibration process, and went over both the post and pre calibration reports for my Panny in detail. He was thorough, professional, and just all around pleasant to work with. Doug will definitely be the first person I contact if I need a calibrator from here on end. Thanks Doug!
Thank you, RSTE. I appreciate the nice feedback and look forward to see you in the future.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #826 of 858 Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

I recently had my Panasonic 60ST50 calibrated by Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved Image & Sound, and he did an absolutely amazing job
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #827 of 858 Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had my Panny 65ZT60 calibrated by Gregg Loewen on March 19, with my display having 400+ hours on it since delivery in early January. I’ve known Gregg for many years, and have had excellent results from his work on my prior displays. He’s great on communicating, planning, and arriving on schedule.

Gregg calibrated THX day and night, ISF Pro day and night, and 3D (on Pro) modes. He knows what he’s doing and uses the latest equipment, so it can go relatively quickly. Prior to calibration, THX was giving me the best subjective response, although the Sound & Vision settings (loaded on Pro 1) also looked pretty decent. However, Gregg’s pre-calibration readings showed some ‘outside acceptable range” errors in those that he was able to correct in the course of his work.

Bottom line, overall accuracy of all measurements improved significantly, as well as measurable light output. For example, in ISF day mode, Gregg was able to push to almost 40 fL without visual subjective issues or significant color errors…not that I use day modes much in my current viewing environment. ISF night mode grayscale and chroma is now almost 100% accurate, average error under 1%.

All said and done, while out of the box was acceptable, there was visible improvement in detail level and color accuracy after Gregg was done. Not quantum leaps of course, but I get a certain satisfaction knowing that my display is dialed in as good as it can be done. In terms of viewing modes, at least initially I now prefer THX night to ISF night, even though the measurements for ISF are nominally better from a pure numbers perspective. But they appear very, very close to my eyes, although the light output in THX night mode is slightly higher (32 fL vs 30 fL). I’m guessing my perception will adjust as I watch more.

I’m not going to bother posting the calibration printouts unless someone really wants to see it. The end result is I’m happy with and highly recommend Gregg’s calibration work.
Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #828 of 858 Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Liked: 12
I want to give a kudos / bravo / mucho thanks to Mr. Bob of Image Perfection - www.imageperfection.com for helping me out with a Hitachi 51F710S that I purchased out of a storage locker for $100. When I got the unit home and plugged it in I was hugely disappointed with the image quality and thought that I would have to put it on Craigslist and hope that I could get rid of it. Before I did so I turned to the AV forums seeking some help and luckily found Bob (Robert) Jones responding to user questions as Mr. Bob. I contacted him to inquire about contracting his services for remote help. We came to an agreement and from Portland, OR to Flemingsburg, KY we started the work.

Bob walked me through the disassembly of the unit and 10 surface cleaning of the projector lenses and mirror while explaining the why’s and how’s along the way. It wasn't difficult and having Bob on the line with today's technology (cell phone with camera and messaging) made it idiot proof. The picture was improved but I was still disappointed but Bob reassured me that we were on the road to success. We then tuned the unit with the standard menu options to determine what further needed to be done. Then we deep dove into manual color settings and, WOW, what a difference. A great unit that was mis-calibrated would have been passed around, owner to owner, regulated to kids rooms or 3rd TV until someone took it to the dump was revived!

I have beautiful color now and it is a joy to watch. I’ve never seen a RP CRT unit look so good. I’m not a “phile” but I see the quality that Bob was able to resurrect from this unit (from 2,000 miles away!). I told him that compared to the best image display that I had ever seen in person that mine was 98% of that. I see these units for $100 or less all the time on Craigslist and wouldn’t have any fear of purchasing another to resurrect with Bob’s help. Maybe for my son's room.... ;-)
post #829 of 858 Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoengFL View Post

I want to give a kudos / bravo / mucho thanks to Mr. Bob of Image Perfection - www.imageperfection.com for helping me out with a Hitachi 51F710S that I purchased out of a storage locker for $100.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the projector and direct view (post number one) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #830 of 858 Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoengFL View Post

I want to give a kudos / bravo / mucho thanks to Mr. Bob of Image Perfection - www.imageperfection.com for helping me out with a Hitachi 51F710S that I purchased out of a storage locker for $100.

Many thanks, Kelly, it was a pleasure to work with you and actually see the ongoing results via the photos you sent from your cell phone to mine. I always love it when dedicated DIYers in faraway places are able to be guided to producing immense results for themselves with a simple phone call.

Thanks again and let me know if you get another one.

wink.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #831 of 858 Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I have had all my TVs since 2003 calibrated. My 2003 RPTV and 2007 Pansonic Plasma were done by Eliab from Avical. My VT50 was done by D-Nice and my two 65VT60s were just done by Chad B.

First, all my previous calibrations were excellent, so I expected no less. After reading all the reviews about Chad and the reviews he has done I decided to give Chad a try. Chad arrived promptly as scheduled. He got set up and he asked about my viewing habits and environment. We discussed my current (CNET) settings since I was happy with the light output and pop. He then proceed to discuss gamma options and since I did not need a day/night setup we agreed on doing Pro1 as gamma 2.22 and then Pro2 with gamma BT1866 since more newer movies are targeting that gamma.

Chad explained everything he was doing at each step. During the pre-calibration measurements he pointed out the CNET settings had a heavy magenta on both TVs. Also the light output on both was 38fl so we decided to target that output since I use a bias light. Both gamma calibrations took about 40 minutes each. 3D was a bit more challenging, but his finesse was able to dial in all three settings on each TV to as close to perfection as possible. With a lunch break Chad spent 8 hours doing both TVs and after each we did some sample viewing, and I was blown away. The picture looked ok before, but looked lifelike and fully immersive. We looked at Fifth Element, Lord of The Rings, and Gravity. Boy does Gravity show off the blacks and Fifth Elemnet is still a top 5 reference disc.

During his visit we had several conversations about the state of the industry and the future for enthusiats with the end of plasma approaching. We talked about how good TVs have gotten with out of box settings, but yet there is still enough room for noticeable improvement and after seeing the results from Chad's work I agree that there a noticeable difference. The easiest thing to notice is in skin tones and how damn perfect they look now, sure they were good for many people before, but the skin tones now make the image so perfect like you are literally looking through a a window at real life.

I can not recommend Chad enough. Very personable, very professional and very much into delivering the ultimate in perfection. He was well worth every penny spent. If you need your TV calibrated and are in an area Chad tours do yourself a favor and let him unleash the true potential of your TV.
post #832 of 858 Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

I have had all my TVs since 2003 calibrated. My 2003 RPTV and 2007 Pansonic Plasma were done by Eliab from Avical. My VT50 was done by D-Nice and my two 65VT60s were just done by Chad B.
I can link to your report here, but a lot more owners will read your comments if you can repost them in the VT60 owner's thread.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #833 of 858 Old 03-29-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

I have had all my TVs since 2003 calibrated. My 2003 RPTV and 2007 Pansonic Plasma were done by Eliab from Avical. My VT50 was done by D-Nice and my two 65VT60s were just done by Chad B
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post in the owner's thread for your display. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #834 of 858 Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A D-Nice recalibration of my unit (5020FD) that is VERY well used (13K + hours) yielded some impressive results which made me quite happy. Since the initial calibration some 5 years ago, the unit had gone fairly red, dropping around 400 in grayscale back to its almost initial reading of 6100 Kelvin in movie mode.

D-Nice took the yellow tinge away again (back to ruler flat 6500K) and got some of the other color errors a little lower as well. Most important to me (and what I was most excited for) was the black level enhancement: a threefold decrease!

.0012 down to a better-than-any-stock model .0004 FtL

Made a huge difference viewing low APL content in a dark room. As usual, DeWayne was very professional and courteous, answering any and all of my questions and performing the calibration in a timely manner. The two calibrations he's done have been well worth the money and I recommend his services to anyone looking (and his MLL technique is 100% safe- he doesn't guarantee the same results do to panel variance but all models in the 9g kuro line are capable)
post #835 of 858 Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post

A D-Nice recalibration of my unit (5020FD) that is VERY well used (13K + hours) yielded some impressive results which made me quite happy.

post #836 of 858 Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If anyone knows of owner calibration reports that I haven't encountered please let me know here or with a PM. Thanks. smile.gif
post #837 of 858 Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Here is a recent one on a Samsung LED LCD. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/4950#post_24617852

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #838 of 858 Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Here is a recent one on a Samsung LED LCD. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/4950#post_24617852
Thanks for the heads up Chad. smile.gif
post #839 of 858 Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Liked: 10

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post.  I wanted to just put out a HUGE thank you to Doug Weil over at Clearly Resolved.  

I am the proud owner of a Panasonic 60ZT60 and Doug came out to do the calibration on it last month.  It has been an all around great experience working with Doug.  Being a new owner of a decent HDTV, I had a million questions to ask and Doug happily answered them all for me.  When the day of the appointment came, not only did he do a fantastic job calibrating the set, but he took the time to educate me about everything that he was doing which was awesome.  I am a complete novice when it comes to these things, and literally knew next to nothing about what the settings actually changed and the importance of each one.  Doug explained it all in an easy to understand way, and answered all my questions throughout the whole process. 

In closing, I just would like to thank Doug for the outstanding work and customer service.  It exceeded my expectations, and I know that whenever I get my next theater system, I have my calibrator ready to go.  

Thanks,

Sean

post #840 of 858 Old 04-19-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetuaIMotion View Post

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post.  I wanted to just put out a HUGE thank you to Doug Weil over at Clearly Resolved.
Welcome to AVS. Doug Weil is known as DroptheRemote when he posts at AVS. smile.gif

There is a thread dedicated to the Z60 model Panasonic displays that you might be interested in subscribing to. Other owners will have a better chance to read about your calibration experience if you also post your comments there. I've added a link to your post here in post number two of this thread which allows readers who are interested in professional calibrations to find references. Thanks for posting.

Official ZT60 Owners Thread
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 55a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page