AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetuaIMotion View Post

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post.  I wanted to just put out a HUGE thank you to Doug Weil over at Clearly Resolved.  

I am the proud owner of a Panasonic 60ZT60 and Doug came out to do the calibration on it last month.  It has been an all around great experience working with Doug.  Being a new owner of a decent HDTV, I had a million questions to ask and Doug happily answered them all for me.  When the day of the appointment came, not only did he do a fantastic job calibrating the set, but he took the time to educate me about everything that he was doing which was awesome.  I am a complete novice when it comes to these things, and literally knew next to nothing about what the settings actually changed and the importance of each one.  Doug explained it all in an easy to understand way, and answered all my questions throughout the whole process. 

In closing, I just would like to thank Doug for the outstanding work and customer service.  It exceeded my expectations, and I know that whenever I get my next theater system, I have my calibrator ready to go.  

Thanks,
Sean
Sean,

Thank you very much for the nice review and kind words. It was great to work for you and I look forward to seeing you again somewhere down the line.

Thanks again.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 848 Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Originally Posted by htwaits

" My experience with UMR and D-Nice is that both of them check with known source material to be sure the results from the calibration are as expected. At that point, including before and during the calibration, I or any customer can point out any individual issues relating to taste in picture quality. I've never felt the need to do that."

I had Jeff Meier (UMR) in here last Sunday, and my experience is as you noted. He's more than happy to involve you in the process.

And watching him squeeze every drop out of life out of an older VW-60 with a new lamp was very cool. After all the intial rocket science work was done, he puts real world material on and retweaks everything so the weaknesses are worked over. He knows that tweaking one thing will affect other measurements and then cycles back through based on any changes made. At the end, my Calibration report looks beautiful and the real world picture looks as good as it could possibly be.

Pay the man his money.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #843 of 848 Old 05-17-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hi everyone. Chad B was here yesterday and did a bang up job on my Panny 55VT60, calibrating it using the High panel setting for Day mode and the Mid panel for Night mode. I had been running modified CNET settings at Mid and was very pleased with the overall picture but Chad was able to get a more accurate picture (especially skin tones) and more brightness/contrast juice out of my set, especially in Day mode (almost 49fl) where it looks as good if not better than the Samsung 8500 series. The transitions between light and dark areas are also cleaner. Night mode at 40fl is better than the 40.5fl than my own settings came in at. The image is brighter (great black levels) and the detail and shadows are better. In a dark room, Night mode is plenty bright and in a moderately light room, even in the evening, Day mode is excellent. My calibrations charts are awesome with many of the result being close to perfect. His test disc, The Black Knight, looked great as did several of my own favorite Blu-rays in either Day or Night mode. Chad is one of the nicest guys that you will meet and spent 4 1/2 hours with me, explaining what he was doing, answering any questions and engaging in general chit chat. Those of us in in the San Francisco Bay area were very fortunate to have had Chad agree to make a calibration tour in our neck of the woods. I would not hesitate to recommend him if he is available in your area.
Chad B and mdanderson like this.
post #844 of 848 Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Hi everyone. Chad B was here yesterday ...
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in this thread.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #845 of 848 Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had Chad B calibrate my sony vpl-vw 600 and my marantz 8801 with audessey pro a month ago. He spent a full day helping to tweak speakers, the projector and give me ideas for further refinement. The picture on my projector was already great,but he made it even better. He was able to achieve much more brightness than I had been able to on my own. I was tending to use the projector in high lamp mode, but after calibration and tweaking, I now use the low lamp setting with the same light output! It has made a great improvement in the pq.

The biggest impact on my system was the audio, which I had done with audessey myself. He did an audessey pro calibration and the difference is AMAZING!!!! The bass is so much better and refined than before. Dialog is now easily understood over the effects etc. I was always raising the volume to be able to hear the dialog, and then lowering the volume during explosions etc. Now I just leave the volume at one setting.

If you think your system looks and sounds good, but haven't had it calibrated, I highly recommend getting it calibrated!!!! And Chad B is one to do it! I will probably have him come by whenever he travels through my area to adjust thing as I add new things.

Marantz AV 8801
Goldenear 11.4
Oppo 105D
HTPC
post #846 of 848 Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWookie View Post

I had Chad B calibrate my sony vpl-vw 600 and my marantz 8801 with audessey pro a month ago.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #847 of 848 Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gregg Loewen recently calibrated my 80" Vizio M801-D-A3 and it looks a million times better. He worked wonders on this beast of a TV. Out of the box, the set was so disappointing that my wife and I were ready to return it. Gregg was nice enough to schedule some calibration in the area the week we received it so he could check it out and see if a return was necessary. The TV had a lot of issues like the colors being off, blacks being improperly processed, and everything being pretty washed out. He got everything dialed in great and we even adjusted the viewing position for best performance. I can't recommend Gregg's services more. He did a wonderful job.
Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #848 of 848 Old 06-09-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmiclass02 View Post

Gregg Loewen recently calibrated my 80" Vizio M801-D-A3 and it looks a million times better.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page