AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetuaIMotion View Post

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, and this is my first post.  I wanted to just put out a HUGE thank you to Doug Weil over at Clearly Resolved.  

I am the proud owner of a Panasonic 60ZT60 and Doug came out to do the calibration on it last month.  It has been an all around great experience working with Doug.  Being a new owner of a decent HDTV, I had a million questions to ask and Doug happily answered them all for me.  When the day of the appointment came, not only did he do a fantastic job calibrating the set, but he took the time to educate me about everything that he was doing which was awesome.  I am a complete novice when it comes to these things, and literally knew next to nothing about what the settings actually changed and the importance of each one.  Doug explained it all in an easy to understand way, and answered all my questions throughout the whole process. 

In closing, I just would like to thank Doug for the outstanding work and customer service.  It exceeded my expectations, and I know that whenever I get my next theater system, I have my calibrator ready to go.  

Thanks,
Sean
Sean,

Thank you very much for the nice review and kind words. It was great to work for you and I look forward to seeing you again somewhere down the line.

Thanks again.
MoInSTL likes this.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 858 Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Originally Posted by htwaits

" My experience with UMR and D-Nice is that both of them check with known source material to be sure the results from the calibration are as expected. At that point, including before and during the calibration, I or any customer can point out any individual issues relating to taste in picture quality. I've never felt the need to do that."

I had Jeff Meier (UMR) in here last Sunday, and my experience is as you noted. He's more than happy to involve you in the process.

And watching him squeeze every drop out of life out of an older VW-60 with a new lamp was very cool. After all the intial rocket science work was done, he puts real world material on and retweaks everything so the weaknesses are worked over. He knows that tweaking one thing will affect other measurements and then cycles back through based on any changes made. At the end, my Calibration report looks beautiful and the real world picture looks as good as it could possibly be.

Pay the man his money.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #843 of 858 Old 05-17-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi everyone. Chad B was here yesterday and did a bang up job on my Panny 55VT60, calibrating it using the High panel setting for Day mode and the Mid panel for Night mode. I had been running modified CNET settings at Mid and was very pleased with the overall picture but Chad was able to get a more accurate picture (especially skin tones) and more brightness/contrast juice out of my set, especially in Day mode (almost 49fl) where it looks as good if not better than the Samsung 8500 series. The transitions between light and dark areas are also cleaner. Night mode at 40fl is better than the 40.5fl than my own settings came in at. The image is brighter (great black levels) and the detail and shadows are better. In a dark room, Night mode is plenty bright and in a moderately light room, even in the evening, Day mode is excellent. My calibrations charts are awesome with many of the result being close to perfect. His test disc, The Black Knight, looked great as did several of my own favorite Blu-rays in either Day or Night mode. Chad is one of the nicest guys that you will meet and spent 4 1/2 hours with me, explaining what he was doing, answering any questions and engaging in general chit chat. Those of us in in the San Francisco Bay area were very fortunate to have had Chad agree to make a calibration tour in our neck of the woods. I would not hesitate to recommend him if he is available in your area.
Chad B and mdanderson like this.
post #844 of 858 Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Hi everyone. Chad B was here yesterday ...
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in this thread.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #845 of 858 Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had Chad B calibrate my sony vpl-vw 600 and my marantz 8801 with audessey pro a month ago. He spent a full day helping to tweak speakers, the projector and give me ideas for further refinement. The picture on my projector was already great,but he made it even better. He was able to achieve much more brightness than I had been able to on my own. I was tending to use the projector in high lamp mode, but after calibration and tweaking, I now use the low lamp setting with the same light output! It has made a great improvement in the pq.

The biggest impact on my system was the audio, which I had done with audessey myself. He did an audessey pro calibration and the difference is AMAZING!!!! The bass is so much better and refined than before. Dialog is now easily understood over the effects etc. I was always raising the volume to be able to hear the dialog, and then lowering the volume during explosions etc. Now I just leave the volume at one setting.

If you think your system looks and sounds good, but haven't had it calibrated, I highly recommend getting it calibrated!!!! And Chad B is one to do it! I will probably have him come by whenever he travels through my area to adjust thing as I add new things.

Marantz AV 8801
Goldenear 11.4
Oppo 105D
HTPC
post #846 of 858 Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWookie View Post

I had Chad B calibrate my sony vpl-vw 600 and my marantz 8801 with audessey pro a month ago.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #847 of 858 Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gregg Loewen recently calibrated my 80" Vizio M801-D-A3 and it looks a million times better. He worked wonders on this beast of a TV. Out of the box, the set was so disappointing that my wife and I were ready to return it. Gregg was nice enough to schedule some calibration in the area the week we received it so he could check it out and see if a return was necessary. The TV had a lot of issues like the colors being off, blacks being improperly processed, and everything being pretty washed out. He got everything dialed in great and we even adjusted the viewing position for best performance. I can't recommend Gregg's services more. He did a wonderful job.
Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #848 of 858 Old 06-09-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmiclass02 View Post

Gregg Loewen recently calibrated my 80" Vizio M801-D-A3 and it looks a million times better.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

post #849 of 858 Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have known of Mr. Bob and Image Perfection for a number of years and had the pleasure of seeing his personal setup. I was blown away! It was the first time I had seen such an accurate recreation of reality on a TV set and I couldn't take my eyes off of it! I gave him the nick name of Mr. Flesh Tone at the time and still tease him about it. Ever since then he has helped me with various sets I have purchased.

Last year I picked up an inexpensive 4k Seiki television that had some people commenting on the poor picture quality however, on my set that Mr. Bob personally calibrated, the picture simply pops and anyone who sees it comments on how great it looks.

He's also done my 70" Sharp LCD, 65" Panasonic Plasma and 42" Toshiba LCD sets. These are not top-of-the-line sets either, yet he gets them looking like I spent thousands of dollars on them instead of the few hundred that I did.

Having my sets calibrated has breathed new life into my movie collection and I find myself watching them again to see all the details and depth I had been missing out on.

He is friendly, professional and has a great eye for detail. Basically he knows his stuff and is quite willing to take his time to share his knowledge and answers all my questions.

Final words.... Life's too short to put up with a less than spectacular picture…. Get It Calibrated!
post #850 of 858 Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I made this post a couple of day's ago on Pg. 422 Post#12654 in the ZT owners thread, but forgot to post it here also.

Well today was the day I got our TC-P65ZT60 calibrated. I had the pleasure of Chad B's company. He arrived promptly at the scheduled appt. time where we then discussed viewing habits. After setting up the equipment he spent the next 4.5 hours fine tuning the day, night, and 3D picture modes. During this time Chad was both professional and personable answering all the questions I had .

The pre measurements were all off and all the post are now closer to where they should be. With the RGB almost flat and DE Avg. under 1. When finished it was time to try out the settings, Chad showed some content and I also checked out the settings with content we watch. The day mode with the extra brightness looks like it will help our daytime viewing as the house has many windows. I darkened the room to check out night which is the main viewing for BD movies. The detail and coloring was a lot better then before and I'm looking forward to the latest releases. The 3D mode is a little brighter, as with the depth and color while looking through the glasses more pronounced.

All in all I'm very happy with the way the ZT is now calibrated. I could go on and on but we have a movie to watch. My Thanks go out to Chad again for a job well done and answering questions I'm sure he's answered many time's before.
post #851 of 858 Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anybody in the Los Angeles/Venice Beach area have any suggestions for a calibrator in the area? I just bought the F8500 and am about to hit the 200 hour mark. I have played with some others suggested calibration and it made a HUGE difference! So I am excited to see what a calibrator can do.
post #852 of 858 Old 09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Kawon View Post
Anybody in the Los Angeles/Venice Beach area have any suggestions for a calibrator in the area? I just bought the F8500 and am about to hit the 200 hour mark. I have played with some others suggested calibration and it made a HUGE difference! So I am excited to see what a calibrator can do.
I think Rayjr (forum ID)

Loving D65
post #853 of 858 Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
David Abrams is located in the LA area. UMR and D-Nice both do tours to your area. All three of them have very good reputaions here at AVS.

You can read owner's comments about their work in the links found in post number two of this thread. Check any of the high end plasma display lists.
CoCo Kawon likes this.

Calibration Resources:

post #854 of 858 Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
David Abrams is located in the LA area. UMR and D-Nice both do tours to your area. All three of them have very good reputaions here at AVS.

You can read owner's comments about their work in the links found in post number two of this thread. Check any of the high end plasma display lists.
I have one question. I live in a loft with floor to ceiling windows directly behind the TV and floor to ceiling windows a distance off in the background. The sun is bright all day long and changes thought out the day. At night my place gets VERY dark. How does the calibrator know the correct setting for my individual TV during these two different times of day? Does he spend the night? LOL

Just curious how he would figure out the dark room setting if he's there during the bright room conditions.
post #855 of 858 Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I have one question. I live in a loft with floor to ceiling windows directly behind the TV and floor to ceiling windows a distance off in the background. The sun is bright all day long and changes thought out the day. At night my place gets VERY dark. How does the calibrator know the correct setting for my individual TV during these two different times of day? Does he spend the night? LOL

Just curious how he would figure out the dark room setting if he's there during the bright room conditions.
they know what the ranges are for the conditions you have.
you can help by adjusting the contrast to a day brightness you like and then
adjust it at night to get a brightness you like.
the calibrator can measure what you have set it at and try and use the same values for you.

Loving D65
post #856 of 858 Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You should ask one or more of the calibrators that I suggested that question. There is no cure for direct sunlight on a plasma that I know of.

Calibration Resources:

post #857 of 858 Old 09-05-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

It is always much better to have your display calibrated when you can control the room lighting.

Any calibrator that cares will tell you the same.

ss
CoCo Kawon likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #858 of 858 Old 09-05-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I have a plasma tv. like another poster said there is no cure for plasma tv with bright sunlight. F8500 does put out a lot of light but you still need some light control.

Calibrate a night and day mode.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 55a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page