Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #871 of 881 Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
What model TV did you have Randal calibrate?
We have a Samsung 60ES8000. He also did a 3D calibration. He said that it was geared only the set of glasses that was used for the calibration but he checked out the other sets and said that they appeared to be fine. I myself fined that 3D gives me a headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 881 Old 12-31-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oklahoma City calibration

I have used Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved for my last 3 calibrations. Obviously I would not continue to use him if I were not satisfied with his work. He is always on time and spends as much time as is necessary to properly calibrate my system and answers any and all questions I might have. His last work was on 12/16/2014. Results were excellent as usual and definitely needed.
Highly recommended. His credentials are listed on the Clearly Resolved web site http://www.isfforum.com/details/clearly-resolved.html
Gregg Loewen likes this.
post #873 of 881 Old 01-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We've had Doug Weil, of Clearly Resolved Image and Sound, come out to our college and do an annual calibration of our main theater projector.

We've VERY pleased with his work. His rates are very reasonable and he does a great job for us every year!
post #874 of 881 Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 29
On Saturday (3/7/15) I was finally able to get my Vizio P602ui-B3 professionally calibrated.

Doug Weil with Clearly Resolved Image & Sound out of St. Louis was on one of his road trips and we had previously missed each other, but this time around we were able to schedule an appt. I'd like to start off by saying that Doug was really awesome to deal with. He showed up right on time and was really cool to talk with. Since I am a noob to calibration and this was my first ever professional calibration, he explained in detail (some of which was way over my head I must admit) what he was doing in each step of the calibration. He also explained to me about the equipment/software he was using and gave me a little info on his background and how he got into calibration (cool story BTW).

My experience with calibration up to this point had been using the Disney WOW disc and copying settings from this forum. I've been pretty happy with my P60 since I purchased it at Sam's Club for their pre-black friday deal and the only real issue/bug that I have been affected with was the sharpness bug. Other than that the TV has worked pretty flawlessly since I bought it. After copying multiple settings from the forum I wasn't really happy with any of them and I reset the TV to factory defaults and used the Disney WOW disc to just set the basic settings for my TV. That worked pretty well, but the skin tones looked off and I adjusted with my eye until I thought they were acceptable. That worked for awhile, but I knew the picture quality could be better. That's where Doug Weil came in. Since this was my first professional calibration I wasn't sure what to expect or even if it would be worth the cost. After Doug got done with my TV, all my reservations about having a professional calibration done were gone. My expectations were exceeded and then some. Simply said I was blown away at how good the picture looked after Doug was done. The skin tones look perfect now, the blacks look soooooo good, and the colors look realistic and spectacular!!!! I've been re-watching a bunch of Blu-rays all weekend because the picture looks incredible. If anybody wants Doug's contact info, just shoot me a PM and I'll provide it to you. I'd highly reccomend Doug Weil to anybody looking to get their TV calibrated.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
Vizio P602ui-B3 / FW: 1.1.19
--------------------------------------
My P60 1.1.19 Calibration Settings
post #875 of 881 Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am pleased to give a report of my recent calibration of my Samsung 64F8500 panel.

The TV is about 1 year old. After it was "burned in" I contacted Chad B for a calibration, and was placed in the queue.

Do not doubt, that I often second-guessed myself on the wisdom of this, and wondered whether I should cancel the calibration request. This 64F8500 replaced an 8G Kuro (that had only been adjusted by me using consumer-level calibrations discs), and after my consumer-level adjustment of the 64F8500, it is was clearly the best picture that I had ever had. So, did I really need to pay for further calibration?

I went through with the commitment, and I am quite happy that I did.

Chad B arrived exactly on time, at 10:00 AM. He proceeded to attach a sensor to the panel and setup a tripod with another sensor.

Time passed, he did his thing. Such a calibration normally takes about 4 hours. However, I had a couple of "troublesome inputs". That took a lot more analysis and time.

Chad B hung in there for 7.5 hours -- 10:00 - 5:30 -- to get everything perfect. I could see his concentration as he was running pattern after pattern, to get the grayscale and the CMS properly setup, for both a night mode and a day mode, on three different inputs.

Whenever I asked what was going on, and how it was going, he gave me a lot of insightful commentary about how the TV was behaving, how the inputs were behaving, and how to deal with it all.

He pretty much killed his entire day, working almost twice as long as usual, bringing my 64F8500 up to his specs, even though he had a 2-hour drive to make after he left my place.

The result is quite amazing. I was a little skeptical that the calibration would significantly improve the picture, even though I decided to go through with it.

It's hard to objectively describe the result. The result is clearly in "Oh My Goodness" territory. The color balance and the contrast / brightness / grayscale is obviously better, but the 2-D picture now has a "3-D" impression that was not present previously. I am not sure what is going on, honestly. I don't care for, and don't watch 3-D, but the sense of depth that the 2-D picture now presents, as well as the accurate colors and white balance, is really quite nice. The picture is cinematic and textured in a way it was not before, and meets the worn cliché that "we see things that we did not see before".

I honesty think that this was the best calibration bargain in my experience.

I highly recommend this calibration.

EDIT: actually, four (4) different inputs counting the Apps (Netflix / Amazon).
Mr Bob and Chad B like this.
post #876 of 881 Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Another shout out to Chad B. He calibrated my Pansonic 50" GT50 almost 3 years ago, so when I bought my Epson 5030UB projector last November I knew I would have him calibrate it as soon as I got over 100 hours on the lamp.
My appointment was last Saturday and once again he took his time with the calibration and explained to me what he was doing and what needed fixing/adjusting.
I was happy with the projector using the THX mode out of the box, but he made vast improvements to the picture. After about 3 hours calibrating a custom THX mode and THX 3D mode, he did a fairly quick touchup on the Panasonic GT50. I am still in awe of how good this TV looks with the right source material!
I really appreciate the patience/time that Chad takes to get my displays as close to perfect as possible. I have told Chad that as long as he is in business he will be my go to calibrator.
Mr Bob, Chad B, mdanderson and 1 others like this.
post #877 of 881 Old 05-12-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I posted a review about ChadB in the zt60 thread. I also wanted to say thanks for keeping the calibration review thread. It really helped me with my (really good) decision on weather or not to calibrate my set.

post #878 of 881 Old 05-17-2015, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post
Another shout out to Chad B. He calibrated my Pansonic 50" GT50 almost 3 years ago, so when I bought my Epson 5030UB projector last November I knew I would have him calibrate it as soon as I got over 100 hours on the lamp.
My appointment was last Saturday and once again he took his time with the calibration and explained to me what he was doing and what needed fixing/adjusting.
I was happy with the projector using the THX mode out of the box, but he made vast improvements to the picture. After about 3 hours calibrating a custom THX mode and THX 3D mode, he did a fairly quick touchup on the Panasonic GT50. I am still in awe of how good this TV looks with the right source material!
I really appreciate the patience/time that Chad takes to get my displays as close to perfect as possible. I have told Chad that as long as he is in business he will be my go to calibrator.
Chad B is a real pro and calibrated my ST60 about 2 years ago in Garland,Tx. and it still looks great. Best thing I have done for this Panasonic plasma.
Squirrel! likes this.

Matt
post #879 of 881 Old 05-17-2015, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What does a good calibration go for these days?

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|(Temporary)Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #880 of 881 Unread Yesterday, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
I've Been Away

I haven't been around AVS for quite a while now. I'll get caught up as soon as I can.
post #881 of 881 Unread Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Good to hear, HT! Welcome back -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell