Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 850 Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I've reposted your report in the owner's thread for your model. Then I added a link to the RPTV (Page#1) list in this thread.

Thanks for the report.

Enjoy.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 850 Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post

These are the results after Rayjr's much more thorough (ie, he actually used multiple sensor tests and multiple "by eye" tests) results. They are pretty much night and day.

Attachment 131196

A big, big thanks to Rayjr. If anyone else in the Los Angeles area is considering a calibration, I would totally recommend him. Unlike the first guy, Rayjr made sure I was involved every step of the way..................

Kudos!

After looking at your report I see correct grayscale but Gamma is still too low (2.0 or less). Ask him why he didn't correct it. There is also no change in color gamut.
There is gamma correction is service menu. I always set "off" to around 2.5, so medium is around 2.22. You, the user can change between ~2.1 (high) up to 2.5 (off) depends on light condition.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #183 of 850 Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
I recently had my Panasonic TH-50PZ800u calibrated by Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved Image and Sound. Doug is a very nice guy, who takes his time and is willing to explain every step of the way. He explained various before and after aspects as well as had me look over his shoulder to view what he was doing and see the results on his laptop. In watching everything Doug was doing, I realized that if someone wanted to they could do little or nothing, make up a bunch of crap, and a novice like me would be none the wiser. I felt very comfortable that Doug new what he was doing and that he was working toward specific results. He explained the issue or test at hand, explained how the TV was at that point (pre-calibrated), explained where it needed to be, made the adjustment, and showed me where the TV was after the adjustment.

My TV is in a den, which has an outside wall with windows running down one side of the room. The windows have wooden shudders, but there is no way to get this room very dark during the day. Therefore, Doug gave me what I'll call a "true" calibration for night viewing and a calibration for day viewing, which might not be a totally "true" calibration, but is close and results in a brighter screen. Doug also gave me a "true" calibration for my upscaling DVD player.

Finally, Doug gave me an exceptional calibration report, which included a detailed write-up with explanations. It wasn't just boiler plate stuff, he included things particular to my TV and situation-- things that I remember him touching on when he was here. He also included the user settings for each of my three calibration modes. I highly recommend Doug to anybody wanting to get their TV calibrated.
post #184 of 850 Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjrogers View Post

I recently had my Panasonic TH-50PZ800u calibrated by Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved Image and Sound.

Thanks for your report. I think that there would be interested readers in the owner's thread for your display. It would be a very good idea repost your report there. It would also be nice to indicate where Doug is located and if he was on tour when he visited you.

Let me know if you repost.
post #185 of 850 Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
htwaits,

FYI -- I'm based in St. Louis, but travel extensively throughout the Midwest and Southeast as one of the partners at Lion AV.

I took care of jcjrogers in Memphis during a recent tour of NC-SC-TN.

Thanks again for nice review, jc.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #186 of 850 Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptheRemote View Post

htwaits,

FYI -- I'm based in St. Louis, but travel extensively throughout the Midwest and Southeast as one of the partners at Lion AV.

I took care of jcjrogers in Memphis during a recent tour of NC-SC-TN.

Thanks again for nice review, jc.

Thanks. I've had dinner in Marin County with two of your associates.

Are you also on turbe's list?
post #187 of 850 Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I've had dinner in Marin County with two of your associates.

Are you also on turbe's list?

Yes, I am on the Pioneer ControlCAL list for all available models. I'm also able to do earlier models via the ColorFacts tool.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #188 of 850 Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjrogers View Post

I recently had my Panasonic TH-50PZ800u calibrated by Doug Weil (DroptheRemote at AVS) of Clearly Resolved Image and Sound.

I've reposted your report so that other owners will see it. Thanks again.

New Panasonic THX Certified 42PZ800U, 46PZ800U, and 50PZ800U Thread!
post #189 of 850 Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM

SierraMikeBravo (Shawn) with Sound Advice in Topeka, KS recently calibrated my Panasonic TH50PZ80. The experience was very beneficial as he took the time to explain every step of the process as he went through it. The first problem he was able to solve was a geometry issue where images were bleeding off the screen. It was determined that my settings on the TV were incorrect and these were changed for the best 1:1 pixel mapping. He also discovered that my HDMI 1 input has problems and after we made the above mentioned changes in the TV, we moved the input to HDMI2 and changed the aspect from JUST to FULL and all was fine. Shawn took the time to explain what the objectives were as we entered each step of the calibration. He calibrated two inputs. He produced a detailed report at the end and explained it very well. One of the first things he noted was that the set was over saturated in green when we began. After the cal was completed we viewed reference material, DVE Blu Ray, to make sure all was looking good. The picture looks great. Friends who came over for the Super Bowl could not believe the picture quality. I was very satisfied with Shawn and his level of knowledge, especially the science behind what he was doing and why. I would highly recommend him for calibrations.
post #190 of 850 Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Innocent View Post

SierraMikeBravo (Shawn) with Sound Advice in Topeka, KS recently calibrated my Panasonic TH50PZ80.

It would help Shawn and other owner's of your model if you reposted it in the owner's thread. Then I will includ it in the flat panel (Post#2) list at the top of this thread.

Let me know when you do it. If that's a problem the after a few days I'll quote it, and repost in the owner's thread.
post #191 of 850 Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:

It would help Shawn and other owner's of your model if you reposted it in the owner's thread. Then I will includ it in the flat panel (Page#2) list at the top of this thread.

Let me know when you do it. If that's a problem the after a few days I'll quote it, and repost in the owner's thread.

htwaits, I reposted in the owner's thread as requested. Thanks.
post #192 of 850 Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Innocent View Post

htwaits, I reposted in the owner's thread as requested. Thanks.

It was a long movie. I'll get your report listed tomorrow.
post #193 of 850 Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM

I just joined the forum (after using it as a source of information on calibrating Plasma TVs), and wanted to drop a short note regarding ChadB and his calibrating abilities.

We purchased our Panny about 1 month ago (replacing a 14 year old Sony CRT), and we were blown away by the difference in what we were seeing. Then I happened to chance upon an item on a website regarding calibrations. I did an investigation and found that ChadB was pretty much in my backyard (distance-wise, Ohio), so we set up an appointment to have ChadB do the calibration work. Well....................He came last night and after 3.5 hours, I was blown away by what he was able to accomplish (HDMI/Component and VGA connections)! The picture was fantastic, flesh tones are incredibly realistic, blacks are not only VERY black, but shadows, etc. are very apparent and defined. I would recommend ChadB to ANYONE who wants this done, he's a real nice guy and very professional about his work. He took the time to explain what he was doing. and was very patient with a computer geek who wanted to know how things are done in his world... I will have him back to do touch ups when needed...

Thanks ChadB!!!

mr_melvis
post #194 of 850 Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_melvis View Post

I just joined the forum (after using it as a source of information on calibrating Plasma TVs), and wanted to drop a short note regarding ChadB and his calibrating abilities.

Thanks for your calibration report. I'll add a link to the flat panel (Post#2) list pointing at your owner's thread post.

Enjoy.
post #195 of 850 Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM

For anyone in the S.F./Northern California area who's looking for a calibrator, I can highly recommend Robert Jones. He recently calibrated and cleaned my six year old Elite PRO-730HD CRT rear-projector. The improvement is really striking -- even my wife and daughter were blown away by the clarity and depth of the picture. I'm very happy I decided not to replace this TV with a flat panel. I own much newer plasma sets by Pioneer (Elite) and Panasonic, as well as a Samsung LCD, and while they have excellent PQ, they can't compete with the CRT RPTV when it comes to black levels and picture clarity. You can find Bob at bob@imageperfection.com or 510-278-4247.

Michael Delman
post #196 of 850 Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelman View Post

For anyone in the S.F./Northern California area who's looking for a calibrator, I can highly recommend Robert Jones.

Thanks for your report. I've included it in the RPTV-CRT (Post#1) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #197 of 850 Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM

SierraMikeBravo of Sound Advice in Topeka, recently calibrated our new screens used in a professional business setting to display over the air, satellite T.V., and multiple computer inputs. These screens are part of a situational awareness system used 24/7.

Shawn was well prepared for the job and was professional in his appearance and demeanor. He explained what the process was and spent plenty of extra time providing details to me as I'm not the most knowledgeable. I couldn't be at the calibration, but I felt completely at ease letting him work on the system.

Shaw provided both before and after calibration reports in detail for me. The results were, and still are, dramatic. We have 2 screens side-by-side, and after finishing one, the difference was very noticeable. One of my employees commented on the picture quality of the calibrated screen by noting it almost looked 3-dimensional after Shawn was done with it.

After this experience, I'm a firm believer in taking the time to get systems professionally calibrated. I was so happy with the service that I'll be recommending calibration, specifically by Shawn, to my regional headquarters for all of their screens.
post #198 of 850 Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by khasrding View Post

SierraMikeBravo of Sound Advice in Topeka, recently calibrated our new screens used in a professional business setting to display over the air, satellite T.V., and multiple computer inputs.

Thanks for your report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list.
post #199 of 850 Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks Ken, it was my pleasure!

htwaits, the screen that was calibrated was the Samsung AN52A550 52" LCD.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #200 of 850 Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Thanks Ken, it was my pleasure!

htwaits, the screen that was calibrated was the Samsung AN52A550 52" LCD.

Thanks -- it's corrected.
post #201 of 850 Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM

I wanted to second all the recommendations for Chad B. I hired Chad to calibrate my Panasonic 800U . I also requested the advance audio calibration as I was unable to position my front speakers and the center channel so it sounded good with my new home theater equipment. Chad arrived on time and did the Panasonic calibration first. I was not expecting a whole lot given the limited settings available in the service menu, but was pleasantly surprised by how improved THX mode was after Chad finished his calibration.

As for the advanced audio, Chad was able to find the sweet spot for the front speakers and corrected the issues I was having with my center channel. He also better integrated my sub with all the speakers and the end results were awesome. Even better, Chad reduced the cost of the advanced audio calibration by $50 since my receiver wasn't capable of doing some of the tests he normally does.

Finally, Chad had noticed the speakers I was using for my secondary system and was asking what I thought of them. When I mentioned that I hadn't had a chance to try them because the tweeter was blown and that I needed to take it to a shop to replace it with the tweeter I received from the company (the speaker are refurbs), Chad replaced the tweeter free of charge!

I can't say enough good things about the quality of service I received today. I will definitely be hiring Chad when I purchase my next HDTV! Thank you so much!

To contact Chad, go to: http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/index.html
post #202 of 850 Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyd5 View Post

I wanted to second all the recommendations for Chad B.

I sent you a PM about moving your comments to your post in the owner's thread. Let me know if you do that, and I will link that location. More interested people will see it there.
post #203 of 850 Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM

As suggested, I have reposted my comments here to my original post in the 800U forum. Thanks.
post #204 of 850 Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM

Shawn (Seirra_Mike_Bravo) of Sound Advice from Topeka, KS stopped by this past weekend to calibrate my Panasonic PT-AE3000U front projector. He saw that I was asking some calibration questions about meters and software and said he was going to be down in my neck of the woods. Even though it was a calibration, it more of a learning seminar of using the meter and CalMan. We adjusted the greyscale and gamma. He also showed me how to adjust the CMS for when I get my own meter. The next day he ran Audyssey Pro on my Onkyo 886 processor.
Every step of the way, Shawn explained what he was doing in the software, as well as explaining the real world effects of the front projectors controls; so I had full knowledge of what every thing does and how it interacts with the other controls. He is a stand up guy and the picture looks better and better with each passing day. My wife was amazed at the difference when we watched the Oscars on Sunday night. If you need a calibrator in this part of the country, you can rest easy and give Shawn a call. He will do the job, and do it well.

Thanks again!
post #205 of 850 Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd View Post

Shawn (SierraMikeBravo) of Sound Advice from Topeka, KS stopped by this past weekend to calibrate my Panasonic PT-AE3000U front projector.

Thanks for the calibration report. I've added it to the post #1 list for front projectors.
post #206 of 850 Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

just wanted to let everyone know that eliab with avical came by my apt today and calibrated my pioneer elite pro-111fd plasma. He was probably one of the nicest persons I have ever met. He talked to me about everything pertaining to the tv, the industry, etc. He answered every question I had and even offered valuable tips. Could only watch cable tv for alittle bit because I had to go out but what a difference he made. Tonight I will be watching a blu ray, cant wait. Just wanted to give an quick shout for the great job Eliab did.
post #207 of 850 Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

just wanted to let everyone know that eliab with avical came by my apt today and calibrated my pioneer elite pro-111fd plasma. He was probably one of the nicest persons I have ever met. He talked to me about everything pertaining to the tv, the industry, etc. He answered every question I had and even offered valuable tips. Could only watch cable tv for alittle bit because I had to go out but what a difference he made. Tonight I will be watching a blu ray, cant wait. Just wanted to give an quick shout for the great job Eliab did.

Thanks for your post. If you can, please post your thoughts in the owner's thread for the 9G Elites. I'm sure a lot of people would like to read it.
post #208 of 850 Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

after about an hour of watching the dark night and watching kung fu panda, I am stunned on how amazing my tv looks even more now. The pq is unreal. I have never seen anything like this. Eliab worked his majic on my tv and he did not disappoint. He calibrated pure mode, isf day and night. I have only watched in pure mode since he left and I cant keep my eyes off the screen. The sharpness and detail that I can see now is un-describable. Thank you Eliab, you have definitely made me one happy camper.

fyi, I posted this followup comment in the elite owner's thread as well.
post #209 of 850 Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of having Jeff Meier (UMR) in my home to calibrate my PRO-150FD, PRO-151FD and two surround systems. First, I want to thank Jeff for the way he willing to answer questions that I am sure he is asked every day, but he finds a way to answer them in a way that made me feel like it was the first time he had ever been asked. It was a great experience to have him calibrate my equipment and I could not be more pleased with the results. Since he had to do two systems, he was at my house all day. Even my wife has commented on the improvement of both the video and audio today. The picture on both plasmas looks literally like it is 3D. I know now that I have never previously seen a television that has been set up the way it is supposed to be and I also know that I will never own another television that Jeff has not calibrated. As good as the video now is, I believe the audio is just as good. Jeff took my audio that I set up using the
Audyssey in my Denon 4308 and 5308 and he turned it off and set it up his self and my audio is literally 1000% better. He also found several settings in my audio that had my systems unable to perform as they are capable. My sound systems now sound unbelievable. I think the audio change may even be more dramatic than the video and the change in the quality of the video is unbelievable.

I want to again thank Jeff the his professionalism and I want to recommend him to anyone wanting to calibrate their system. I also want to stop anyone from making the mistake of perfecting your video, but ignoring your audio. Let Jeff do both, you will be glad you did and you can thank me later.
post #210 of 850 Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn82 View Post

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of having Jeff Meier (UMR) in my home to calibrate my PRO-150FD, PRO-151FD and two surround systems.

Thanks for your report. I'm reposting it so that owner's will be able to read it. I'll add it to the list for each model too.

Enjoy.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread - 55a2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page