umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn82 View Post

...I want to again thank Jeff the his professionalism and I want to recommend him to anyone wanting to calibrate their system. I also want to stop anyone from making the mistake of perfecting your video, but ignoring your audio. Let Jeff do both, you will be glad you did and you can thank me later.

Thank you. It was my pleasure to be able to transform both your video and audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 848 Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SierraMikeBravo, Shawn with Sound Advice ,Topeka, Kansas
Shawn calibrated my Pioneer flat screen tv and I personally watched as a better color picture of skin color became more life like. Shawn explained, with great patience and in detail, what was being done and what was happening with colors on the screen. Shawn explained that my set was over saturated with green and with some adjusting picture quality and enhanced
sharpness was noted.
Shawn-Thanks again your expetise was greatly appreciated. Bob
post #213 of 848 Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by KbobK View Post

SierraMikeBravo, Shawn with Sound Advice ,Topeka, Kansas calibrated my Pioneer flat screen tv ...

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list.
post #214 of 848 Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Bob,

It was my pleasure!

htwaits

The Pioneer screen was the 8G 5080.

Thanks
Shawn

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #215 of 848 Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

htwaits

The Pioneer screen was the 8G 5080.

I just checked and I see that the 5080 is a 1365 x 768 non-Elite model. I'll fix the list.

Edit: Done.
post #216 of 848 Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Scott (ScoHo), in Baltimore, just reviewed my work on his Pioneer Elite 710 CRT at post #5009 of this thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15954339

There are also separate sets of Before and After screenshots of Steve Mock's 710, on that same tour, a few posts back in that same thread. Feel free to peruse them.

The Baltimore tour was quite fun!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #217 of 848 Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM

I had my Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD calibrated last week by Chad Billheimer. Chad is a very nice guy, very professional and knowleadgeable. The calibration itself took about three hours. He did the ISF-Day and ISF-Night, and answered to each of my (many ) questions in detail. He had saved the entire report in a file for me to keep. The new image is breathtaking. The tones of the skin, the shadows/blacks are unbelieveable realistic - it looks like 3D.
This 111FD replaces my (still new) 110FD, and Chad pointed to me that the 110FD had the colors saturated. That TV had been calibrated by a guy from the BB store a year ago, and I could tell he wasn't as savvy as expected. The calibrated picture on the 111FD was much better than the one on the 110FD.
I highly recommend Chad - he is also more affordable comparing to the "competition", and was available quicker than other offers I saw on here, where the wait times were weeks and months.
post #218 of 848 Old 03-07-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777b View Post

I had my Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD calibrated last week by Chad Billheimer.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Quote:

This 111FD replaces my (still new) 110FD, and Chad pointed to me that the 110FD had the colors saturated. That TV had been calibrated by a guy from the BB store a year ago, and I could tell he wasn't as savvy as expected.

From BB you shouldn't have expected "savvy".

Quote:

The calibrated picture on the 111FD was much better than the one on the 110FD.

The 111FD is better than the 110FD, but I'll bet the biggest part of the difference that you see now is due to who you had calibrate each of your sets. If you are keeping the 110FD, you should of had it recalibrated.
post #219 of 848 Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

From BB you shouldn't have expected "savvy".

The 111FD is better than the 110FD, but I'll bet the biggest part of the difference that you see now is due to who you had calibrate each of your sets. If you are keeping the 110FD, you should of had it recalibrated.

Hey, thanks for adding my review to Post# 2.
Well, I have since adjusted the color on the 110FD at Chad's suggestion. I will leave the "re-calibration" of it to the new owner (hopefully one to be very soon), if he really wants one .
Thanks again,
-Mark-
post #220 of 848 Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777b View Post

I had my Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD calibrated last week by Chad Billheimer. Chad is a very nice guy, very professional and knowleadgeable. The calibration itself took about three hours. He did the ISF-Day and ISF-Night, and answered to each of my (many ) questions in detail. He had saved the entire report in a file for me to keep. The new image is breathtaking. The tones of the skin, the shadows/blacks are unbelieveable realistic - it looks like 3D.
This 111FD replaces my (still new) 110FD, and Chad pointed to me that the 110FD had the colors saturated. That TV had been calibrated by a guy from the BB store a year ago, and I could tell he wasn't as savvy as expected. The calibrated picture on the 111FD was much better than the one on the 110FD.
I highly recommend Chad - he is also more affordable comparing to the "competition", and was available quicker than other offers I saw on here, where the wait times were weeks and months.

Same exact thing here.

I also had my Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD ISF calibrated by Chad.

About 3-4 years ago I had Chad ISF calibrate my Sony KD34XBR960 CRT tube.

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&&#post5915714

^^I still stand by all of that and today was simply part 2 of all of that except thankfully for Chad's sake...a LOT less than the 8 hour marathon that happened there!

No magnets or geometry issues this time!

Chad is a great person and knows his profession inside and out. He's a pleasure to deal with and extremely generous with his time. He makes it all look easy.

He's a patient and methodical perfectionist and that's exactly what you need for work like this. He double even triple checks is own work and he even takes the time to check all of your sources to see how they interact with each other and if any settings need fine tuning.

This was my second TV done by Chad and some day down the road there will be a third, although I intend to keep this Pioneer for a long time.

He's a great professional and he's a great person that I'm pleased to call my friend.

I've referred friends and neighbors over the years and I've made a point to plug him around here and on other forums whenever I get a chance and I'm all too happy to do so again now.

I really didn't think the Pioneers could really be improved upon all that much. I was wrong. I had a few nits that I couldn't quite get right like wanting a little bit more oomph to my white levels and a few other things.

That's ALL fixed now and then some!

I'm here to tell other Kuro owners: Yes, getting an ISF calibration is worth it and something you want to do and if you're within his reach, I can't recommend Chad strongly enough.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/ This is his site.

Thanks again Chad!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #221 of 848 Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM

I posted this in the Pioneer PRO-FPJ1 thread....

A few words about calibration...

Supposedly, this projector (and the RS2) are near D6500 "out of the box". Or so it has been reported. I can attest to the fact that the PRO-FPJ1 does indeed throw a very nice looking image with only the slightest tweaking of the user settings. However, the grayscale is nowhere near accurate in factory settings.

Greg Loewen of Lion AV was in town yesterday and we put "the machine" on my two week old FPJ1 to see how it was. It needed some work, and frankly, I was a bit surprised how far off it was. I thought it looked pretty good already. I was pleased to find the projector was not terribly difficult to calibrate. Greg was able to get the color balance in line with considerably less effort than was required on my previous two Sony SXRD models. Obviously Sony is doing more (harm) with their image processing, and the dynamic iris also complicates a proper grayscale calibration on those models as well. The Pioneer/JVC is much better behaved.

Post calibration results are a rather warmer color palette with noticeably improved reproduction of even the subtlest variations of colors. Light output was reduced by less than two foot lamberts so the PJ is still plenty bright and black level is even better. A great projector made even better.

I will add here that Greg also touched up my Mitsubishi WD-65831 which now has two years on the lamp. It was drifting toward green and Greg got that looking right again. I hope the lamp doesn't blow next week ;-).
post #222 of 848 Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

s_c_m just reviewed my work on his Pioneer Elite 710 in Baltimore, on my recent trip there. That thread also contains screenshots of the work done, including overscan redux via the shimming method. Enough Before and Afters to really get the picture.

It's at post 5050 in this thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=169

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #223 of 848 Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 AM

I had my Pioneer PDP-5010 ISF calibrated last week by Mark Kaye. I live in Ottawa, Canada and have found it difficult to find ISF calibrators here. Mark operates in the Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec region. He was extremely knowledgeable in every aspect of his job. He was very pleasant and explained everything he was doing. He spent more than 4 hours at my home. His equipment was high quality and the results were very accurate. It was worth every cent!

It is absolutely amazing the difference calibration makes with Blu-ray movies and my HD Cable box. The colours look very natural and detail in dark scenes like in Batman and Hellboy II are astounding. The Kuros black levels are amazing out of the box, but wait till you see what it looks like dialed in. All I can say is WOW!!

I had used D-Nices offsets and was very pleased with the results, but I knew that they werent perfect because every TV that comes out of the factory is different. No two TVs are the same. Some one in this thread said that to buy a very expensive TV and then not spend the few hundred dollars to get it calibrated properly just doesnt make sense. I couldnt agree more. All you tweekers out there... you wont be satisfied till you get it set up professionally. I spent the better part of a year messing around in the service menu and the user menu trying to get it right. Well Im finally satisfied now. If I added up the cost of test pattern discs and all my labour, it would be much more than the cost of calibration. Im now going to sit back and enjoy my movies all over again.

Oh, by the way the attached pre/post Colorfacts file is done in Movie Mode. This is Marks webpage for services offered. www.avfusion.ca

Thanks Mark, D-Nice and htwaits. You guys provide an invaluable service.

Pioneer PDP 5010 Movie Mode Calibration Report.pdf 32.419921875k . file

Pioneer PDP 5010 Gamma Curve.pdf 31.150390625k . file
LL
post #224 of 848 Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Strlr just reviewed my repair of his Pioneer Elite 710 CRT RPTV of the intermittent problems they all seem to be coming up with these days, of the 510/610/710 series. And a major part of the year later 520/620/720 series, which uses the same PS board.

Post #1756 -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16101885

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #225 of 848 Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 AM

OK, guy. Here is the Calibration Report on the KRP-500M.
I, again, had the pleasure of having D-NICE visit on Saturday, March 21, 2009 to calibrate my new KRP-500M panel. The panel had approximately 125 hours of break-in prior to his arrival and we both deemed it ready to calibrate. Out of the box, which I agree is flimsy, the panel was flawless with no signs of glass panel breakage or even a scar. Not as clean on the bezel as I would have liked, but flawless, just the same.

Once D-NICE set up his equipment, we were astounded at the black-levels of the unit to the eye. Nearly Dead A** Perfect. D-NICE started the calibration and set back and continued to say "WOW" as to what we both were seeing. Once completed, we both were astounded at the reports we were getting back.

I have not placed the unit into service as yet because I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. The only thing I can say is that this panel is equal to any Elite I have ever seen and is the best "bang for the buck" on the market today. If you can get your hands on one, buy it TODAY.

D-NICE was, as always, the consumate professional and an absolute joy to work with. Thank You, D-NICE. I couldn't recommend you and your services more highly.

Jack

The Pre and Post Calibration Reports are attached.

Pioneer KRP-500M Pre Calibration Forum Report (Pure).pdf 201.8388671875k . file

Pioneer KRP-500M Post Calibration Forum Report (Pure).pdf 195.7958984375k . file
post #226 of 848 Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASICEO View Post

I, again, had the pleasure of having D-NICE visit on Saturday, March 21, 2009 to calibrate my new KRP-500M panel. The panel had approximately 125 hours of break-in prior to his arrival and we both deemed it ready to calibrate. Out of the box, which I agree is flimsy, the panel was flawless with no signs of glass panel breakage or even a scar. Not as clean on the bezel as I would have liked, but flawless, just the same.

Once D-NICE set up his equipment, we were astounded at the black-levels of the unit to the eye. Nearly Dead A** Perfect. D-NICE started the calibration and set back and continued to say "WOW" as to what we both were seeing. Once completed, we both were astounded at the reports we were getting back.

I have not placed the unit into service as yet because I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. The only thing I can say is that this panel is equal to any Elite I have ever seen and is the best "bang for the buck" on the market today. If you can get your hands on one, buy it TODAY.

D-NICE was, as always, the consumate professional and an absolute joy to work with. Thank You, D-NICE. I couldn't recommend you and your services more highly.

Jack

"WOW" is right! Unbelievable. Virtually perfect!
post #227 of 848 Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jack

Fantastic results! I am hoping my 600M will produce similar results. Would you mind sharing your tv settings with us. If not, I understand. There are no 600Ms calibrated yet, so I am just trying different settings out, and figured I could try yours too while I'm at it . Or if this thread would get cluttered, maybe you could put them in the official KRP thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=500m

Thanks in advance!
post #228 of 848 Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

Fantastic results! I am hoping my 600M will produce similar results. Would you mind sharing your tv settings with us. If not, I understand. There are no 600Ms calibrated yet, so I am just trying different settings out, and figured I could try yours too while I'm at it . Or if this thread would get cluttered, maybe you could put them in the official KRP thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=500m

Thanks in advance!

ndisgii,

Sorry, guy. My unit is now repacked and sitting in the warehouse awaiting my decision either to replace my beloved 5020 with it or what. I did not write the setting down prior to repacking.

Jack
post #229 of 848 Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ndisgii,

Sorry, guy. My unit is now repacked and sitting in the warehouse awaiting my decision either to replace my beloved 5020 with it or what. I did not write the setting down prior to repacking.

Jack

Thats ok and thanks for reponding. If/when you hook it back up, dont forget about me
post #230 of 848 Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

Thats ok and thanks for reponding. If/when you hook it back up, dont forget about me

My pleasure and will do.
post #231 of 848 Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Having used Doug's service in the past with a Mitsu DLP, I knew I had to have him back for my two new Pioneer sets. As before, Doug was very professional and timely and these are two qualities that I find very important. I was a little unsure that the picture quality could get much better but being the elitist prick that I am, I had to see for myself. Doug did not disappoint. Both the Pro-111FD and PRO-151FD now blow my socks off every time I start them up. To my surprise the wife even gave his work many compliments. Now that's an accomplishment. I can honestly say, Doug's work is well worth the fee he charges, if not more, and I would recommend him to anyone.

Thanks Doug!
AKA - DroptheRemote

a hole in the roof, or a 300 pound dead man in my yard. neither are good.
post #232 of 848 Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

Having used Doug's service in the past with a Mitsu DLP, I knew I had to have him back for my two new Pioneer sets.

Thanks for your report. It would be much better for other owners and for Doug if you posted your thoughts about Doug's calibrations in the 9G Elite owners thread.
post #233 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your report. It would be much better for other owners and for Doug if you posted your thoughts about Doug's calibrations in the 9G Elite owners thread.

Sorry. This is the link Doug provided.

post #234 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sorry. This is the link Doug provided.

Thanks. Enjoy two at a time!
post #235 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Enjoy two at a time!

Trust Me, I am. These sets are flat out amazing once calibrated. The thing is, I actually thought my old Mitsu Diamond DLP had a great picture. Ahhh, ignorance is bliss.

post #236 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

I'm here to tell other Kuro owners: Yes, getting an ISF calibration is worth it and something you want to do

Placebo effect? Some calibrator sits down with tools for hours and the end result will always=way better. That's jsut the way it is when you are paying hundreds. Just realize your 111 conformed to standards right out the box in pure mode. Sure a slight tweak, removing a little red or green push in the grayscale can make a 5% difference. I could of told you to raise red and drop green a little to remove some green push or the opposite if red in the grayscale. Sorry i just can't help myself here.
post #237 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

right.... keep telling yourself that. having recorded material and viewed in many different modes, including pure, isf day, isf night, etc... i can hands down see a big difference. being right there w/ the calibrator was nice because i could see that neither of the sets conformed w/ standards out of the box. Guess what - Afterwards, they were where they needed to be. Crazy huh?

Color accuracy the elites DO conform to standards right out the box. Read some professional reviews. Sure you can drop contrast a little to get spot on d65. Or tweak rgb highs for that 5% improvement in the grayscale, or tweak them cms controls, good luck calibrators. Still, if your color is at zero or heaven forbid +color, you are guranteed oversaturated for 95+% of content you watch. I will bet anything your color is at 0 or +1234
post #238 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tell me how to check it w/out Control Cal and i'll tell you.

True, don't worry though, guaranteed at 0 or +.
post #239 of 848 Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

tell me how to check it w/out Control Cal and i'll tell you.

This thread is dedicated to owner's posts about their professional calibrations. Please use the edit command to delete your quotes, and disregard off topic posters.

If Zues wants to have a display calibrated by a professional, I'll be glad to link his report in the relevant list.
post #240 of 848 Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

RobMason talked about both my calibration and my repair work when he sent in screenshots of the finished product after my work on his Elite 710 starting at post #5181 at this thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=173

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Sony Kds 55a2000 Kds55a2000 Lamp With Housing Xl5200