Philips 42PF9431D/37 Green Drive/Offset - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a 42PF9431D/37 and have noticed that yellows are too green. I have adjusted every adjustment using the users menus but there is no way to reduce the green. The yellow-green color is most apparent when watching cartoon like The Simpsons or on some shows with bright yellow objects.

I am using Sound & Vision Home Theater Tuneup DVD which worked great for my front projector home theater and for my Visio plasma.

Besides advice to take the TV back to Costco since it's only about 60 miles away, is there any other adjustments I can perform? I have no problem using the service menu to adjust the green drive but I fear this is more a green offset adjustment. I have found a few internet locations which state some service menu button codes to enable the service menu yet I have not tried that yet. I will wait for some sound advice from this forum before proceeding. If this TV does not have a service code and requires a service remote control, could someone pass that information that I cannot use my remote to access it.

Thanks for any assistance...
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-31-2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Joe,

press "062596" then the "info" button on your remote (gotta do it kind of quickly). After that, hit the red button.

You are now in the service menu.

Go to "Alignment"

Then go to "White Point"

From each temperature setting (Warm, Normal, Cool) there are these settings that you can change: white point red, white point green, white point blue, red bl offset, green bl offset.

The default for the offsets are: red bl offset=5, green bl offset=6. As you can see, the green bl offset is set pretty high. Last years model was red bl offset=7, green bl offset=3.

Anyway, BE SURE TO WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN FIRST before messing around =)
post #3 of 15 Old 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Holy Cow, Thanks for the rapid and informative response. I will give a shot in about 30 minutes after the TV warms up and post my results when I get the picture tuned into what looks good to me. It would be nice to have some real calibration equipment but having the tuneup DVD and some programs recorded on my DTiVo and watching a few HD OTA programs will do just as well. After all, reality is the picture just has to look right, not be nats ass on target.

You know, I searched the forums on this issue for Philips sets but came up empty handed so I placed a posting. Now that the information is here it will be available for others if they run across this issue.

Thanks again,
Joe
post #4 of 15 Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 AM

So, any succes yet Joe? What new settings are you using?
post #5 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I hate to say it but I did learn something. I got to the service menu just fine but didn't figure out that I could change the input/channels until a few days later prior to getting to the actual setup screens.

After playing with the whitepoint and BL settings I ended up back at factory settings. Well after playing around with the settings I was able to get the color yellow a little better but no where acceptable in my book. I returned all the settings to factory and using the regular TV adjustments I selected AV Reset. Guess what, the yellow is now acceptable. It's not perfect but it's closer so now maybe I can play around wih the factory settings again.

The only thing I can think of is when I flashed the TV with a new firmware somehow the settings were screwed up somewhere. Performing the AV Reset corrected something. I am hoping the next firmware release fixes the minor green tint I have or maybe I find the correct adjustments and leave it alone.

As for the BL settings... Mine was Red BL 6 and Green BL 7. I would doubt this is the standard setting as I would think it should be adjusted for each display for proper calibration.

The cool thing about the Whitepoint adjustments is I had three groups to play with (Normal, Warm, Cool). I played with the Normal group but I could have placed minor variations into each of them and flipped through them to see which was best and then do it all over again until I got the correct color I liked.

So, to recap: I have not found the sweet spot yet and now that the picture is close to good I will only play with the settings a few times a week and then only make small changes. Eventually it might be very good but I suspect the color decoder is not so good on this model. I would take it back if it irritated me but right now it's good enough.

Thanks for the help and when I do come up with my final settings I will post the original settings, new values, and the offset. This way if there is someone else having the green problem they can try to offset thier values a similar amount and get similar results.

-Joe
post #6 of 15 Old 01-29-2007, 08:20 AM

does anyone here know the default white point settings for the normal, warm and cool temp settings?

thanks
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusser View Post

does anyone here know the default white point settings for the normal, warm and cool temp settings?

thanks

If you search this forum a bit more you will find other peoples settings but don't change your offset from factory if you can help it.

Also, since I could not get the colors correct for Blue-Green I returned my TV and bought a different brand so I can't play with the TV to give you my settings.

-Joe
post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 PM

thanks for the reply, i'm beginning to think i should return this one also. picture is horrible.

Brent
post #9 of 15 Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

If you picked it up from Costco then there will be no problem returning it. Make sure you do a bit of research for the next Plasma TV you're gonna buy. My third one was the charm, even though I don't care for a silver bezel the picture is very good. To be honest, I loved my Vizio but it was too limited being the first plasma TV video came out with. Maybe the new ones are better at streaching a 4:3 picture.

Good Luck,
-Joe
post #10 of 15 Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 PM

i was very pleased with the picture on the 32 inch lcd that i had from philips, that's why i went with philips this time. i guess i'm just trying to find out if the dithering effect that i'm seeing is normal, or if it's a defective tv. i can't imagine anyone would be happy with the quality of this set.

Brent
post #11 of 15 Old 02-07-2007, 05:18 PM

just to let you know. i was able to get a better picture on this set. don't know if it's just burn in time that helped or if all the playing that i did has finally paid off. but in either case, the picture is good. and i'm fairly happy with it now. actually considering keeping it.

if anyone else ever needs this, the default white point setting are as follows.

Normal
white point red 127
white point green 107
white point blue 105

warm
white point red 127
white point green 100
white point blue 73

cool
white point red 127
white point green 115
white point blue 125

my red bl offset was 6
and green bl offset was 5
from the factory.

i changed this to
reb bl 3
green bl 2

this has made all the difference in the world.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see you found a sweet spot for your TV.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 AM

Hi there,

wondering if anyone can help me, i have a 42PF7621d/10 philps screen and am looking to get the default white point settings, i stupidly changed them a while ago and didnt take note of them, there is a post with default settings but i dont think they are all the same.

steve
post #14 of 15 Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1117 View Post

Hi there,

wondering if anyone can help me, i have a 42PF7621d/10 philps screen and am looking to get the default white point settings, i stupidly changed them a while ago and didnt take note of them, there is a post with default settings but i dont think they are all the same.

steve

sorry for saying this

I can't believe that people go in there service menu's and change things without make a note from the original settings.
Those are expensive screens

Also be sure not to be disturbed when doing adjustments or things could get messed up.
Hope someone can help you with the settings .

Sometimes you are 1 click away from pulling your hair out and bang your head against the wall
post #15 of 15 Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM

I changed the Main board in my Philips 42PF9431d/37 to a 50" Main board. In the factory service menu, my TV thinks its screen size is a 50". The code used for this is 027. I just need someone to tell me the code for their 42" Phillips that isn't afraid of the service menu. It would be very appreciated.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page