Samsung LCD calibration misstep - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 135 Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. I have also accidently hit the HDMI calibration on my tv, LN46A750. I did not however get a failure message on my set. The only thing plugged in at the time was my Cable STB but it was not turned on. It was displaying the channel I last watched but the box was not on. The picture seems to be fine but I am a bit worried that I did screw something up. Should I be looking for contrast issues and color issues? Will updating to the newest firmware fix this?

If anyone can please help it will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 135 Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entity82 View Post

Hey everyone. I have also accidently hit the HDMI calibration on my tv, LN46A750. I did not however get a failure message on my set. The only thing plugged in at the time was my Cable STB but it was not turned on. It was displaying the channel I last watched but the box was not on. The picture seems to be fine but I am a bit worried that I did screw something up. Should I be looking for contrast issues and color issues? Will updating to the newest firmware fix this?

If anyone can please help it will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

If you messed it up you would know instantly. THe colors would be completely messed up. As in blues would be reds.... skin would be green...
post #63 of 135 Old 11-29-2008, 01:45 AM

looks like i'm part of the club now too. i just did this by accident of course on my Samsung FPT 5884 !! I managed to get it slightly working with the checkerbox pattern showing up on my PS3 @ 720P. HOWEVER, the problem exists with MOVIE and STANDARD mode. Dynamic is fine. Like some other guys here, the contrast is way off on movie and standard modes. I go one notch up and it changes a completely different color, not darker like contrast control should work. Anyone have the settings I need to adjust in service menu (i know! i know!!) for this TV ? Or is there an easier / less hassle free way to go about this , not counting a pro calibrator ??
post #64 of 135 Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 PM

Hi,

I have a Samsung 4061 with AV calibration fail in service manual. I tried checkerboard pattern from Antenna input but it did not work. Does anyone one have any suggestion how to fix this problem?
post #65 of 135 Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 PM

I've got the same problem as all others before me... ...

For myself with my 46a550, I can't get the HDMI Calibration option anymore?!?!?...

Is there someone able to help getting the option back again? I've update the firmware without success.

Thanks.

BTW, Your forum look really good for technical reason.. there's always good thing when a bad one append!...
post #66 of 135 Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
JQ3

I found this post and followed the instructions on post 3161. I hope this helps others, because using the checkerboard worked for me and actually my picture looks even better then the original!

h**p://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/403913-samsung-f7-series-211.html#post4379759

As I am new to the forums it would not let me post the url, so you will have to add in the tt's. this is in no way spam, just trying to help others with this same problem!

I maybe lucky with this, because I have a DUAL DVI out to HDMI cable from my pc to the Samsung in which I was able to project the high quality checkerboard patern in 1080p.

Good luck to all trying to fix their calibration mishaps!
post #67 of 135 Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 PM

Thank you so much for the pictures of the settings! It saved my ass. My LNT4665F seems to be back to where I started before I hit the HDMI calibrate by accident.

I think the main reason I had hit the calibrate is because I did not know how to back out of the calibrate area. To navigate the service menu use the up & down arrows. Use enter to select and if you want to change a value hit left or right arrows. But the most important one I did not know is that the menu button will take you back one menu without doing any damage. Hope this helps someone before they hit the HDMI calibration by accident.

post #68 of 135 Old 06-23-2009, 07:06 AM

Got a slightly different prob here. Hope somebody can advise me. I just bought an LA32B650. I work for a company that provides video on demand systems for hotels and some of the TV's we use are samsung LCD's so im familiar with the samsung service menu and the calibration section.

When I went into the service menu on my new TV I noticed that all the calibrations are showing "failure". I have not changed anything myself in the service menu. It came this way from the factory. Through my previous experience with samsung TV's I have never seen one that came like this brand new.

The picture quality seems OK (although the contrast may be a little off when using the tuner) but obviously I want it to be the best it can be.

I'm gonna call Samsung and try to get them to send a tech with a pattern generator. Trouble is, I dont think they will believe me that I didnt do this myself.

Any advise on how to deal with them in this regard? Does going into the service menu automaticly void my warranty? What about if a certified calibrator went in there instead of me? Warranty still void?
post #69 of 135 Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Greetings

You'd better be able to prove that there is something wrong with the tv. It really doesn't matter what something says or does not say in the service menu.

If you really want it the best it can be ... you will take the time to calibrate the units yourself with test discs ... and presumably ... calibration equipment too.

Or else ... you really don't want it to be the best it can be.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #70 of 135 Old 07-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 View Post

Send a checkerboard pattern at 100IRE and "calibrate" again send it at 720p if you can.

You can turn down the DNIe in the LBE menu.

Good luck

I dont find any LBE, where's this menu please?

LE32B550
post #71 of 135 Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 View Post

AVIA I think has 25, 50, 75, 100 IRE checkerboard patterns using the 100 seems to work the best.

I put it in an up-converting DVD play set for 720p and hit calibrate, how it works I do not know. On the TV the pattern gets green then blue then red and repeats a few times.

NOTE I was getting my main board replaced so I was willing to try and see what it did. I took readings with a spyder (I now use a display LT) before and after. On HDMI it "resets" the gray-scale to factory settings (sort of), on component it adjust the screen size (I think), on PC it resets the color and hue.

This is on a LN-S4692 others may be different.

Hope this helps.

I should also add that I did have a service guy out and he used a generator set to chessboard at 720p. I also have the service manual for the set and that is what it says to do, only change is what res to use on what input.

I had the AV calibration failure and here is what i did:
I connected my DVD set (no hd upscaling set) to my LCD using a composite cable (yellow one). I then displayed the Avia 100 IRE checkboard pattern and then i got av calibration success again.
I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge. That said i have some little questions:
1) Is there a difference between a 720P checkboard and a standard DVD resolution checkboard? is this really important, what does it change?
2) You said there are different resolution pattern for each input (Av,comp,PC,hdmi), could you tell us which pattern and which resolution samsung is using for each one ?, it could be usefull i guess.
3)Which calibration you had to "failure" on your set?
thanks!

LE32B550
post #72 of 135 Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 PM

int0x13, what samsung tv do you have? I messed up my LE37B650 (av and hdmi calibration), but i cannot find the right pattern to fix it.
post #73 of 135 Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 AM

I got the LE32B550 it's pretty near to what you have Sir, i had only the AV calibration failure, not the HDMI one

LE32B550
post #74 of 135 Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by int0x13 View Post

I got the LE32B550 it's pretty near to what you have Sir, i had only the AV calibration failure, not the HDMI one

Thanks int0x13! i will try it on composite. What is this avia pattern?
post #75 of 135 Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM

I have accidentally misconfigured my colour settings in the service menu and now my LCD says AV Calibration failure.

Could anyone with a B-series LCD be so kind to post screenshots of the ADC Result screen while in AV, COMP, PC and HDMI mode? I have a LE-37B650 but a LN/LA and/or B550/B750 type could also be sufficient. I'd like to compare the settings of the other input modes, see if they are equal, and if so, copy the AV-mode settings.

(The infamous ADC calibration seems to affect the settings in ADC Result screen. These settings are different for the four types of input: AV, COMP, PC and HDMI mode. If anyone knows of any other settings that are affect by the calibration in a B5/6/7-series LCD, i'd be glad to learn about it.)
post #76 of 135 Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijkhuis92 View Post

I have accidentally misconfigured my colour settings in the service menu and now my LCD says AV Calibration failure.

Could anyone with a B-series LCD be so kind to post screenshots of the ADC Result screen while in AV, COMP, PC and HDMI mode? I have a LE-37B650 but a LN/LA and/or B550/B750 type could also be sufficient. I'd like to compare the settings of the other input modes, see if they are equal, and if so, copy the AV-mode settings.

(The infamous ADC calibration seems to affect the settings in ADC Result screen. These settings are different for the four types of input: AV, COMP, PC and HDMI mode. If anyone knows of any other settings that are affect by the calibration in a B5/6/7-series LCD, i'd be glad to learn about it.)

In the B550 thread, someone posted a link to a site where he as collected the service manuals for several of the 2009 B models. At least in the B550 service manual, Samsung gives values for the AVS Result screen for each of the modes in the troubleshooting chapter, page 4-28.
post #77 of 135 Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post

In the B550 thread, someone posted a link to a site where he as collected the service manuals for several of the 2009 B models. At least in the B550 service manual, Samsung gives values for the AVS Result screen for each of the modes in the troubleshooting chapter, page 4-28.

Hmm, looks like the settings for a B550 are different from my LE37B652.

Could anyone with a B650/B651/B652 etc. post screenshots of the ADC Result screen while in all four modes (AV, COMP, PC and HDMI mode)? Cycle throuh the different sources with the source button on your remote to see all four different modes (the mode used is in the first line on your screen).
post #78 of 135 Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM

I have done the same stupid thing with my LE37B550. As the right arrow on the control selects options, my understanding was that the left arrow would results in going back. Now I'm stuck with the AV Calibration failure and I can't get it right. I've used two checkboard patterns, displayed via my Wii. But still the AV Calibration is failed.

Does anyone have the normal values of the AV Results?
post #79 of 135 Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 AM

Yesterday I have tested different patterns on my television and luckily it now passed the AV Calibration. Only the colors are still not completely right..
post #80 of 135 Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Hmm, looks like the settings for a B550 are different from my LE37B652.

Could anyone with a B650/B651/B652 etc. post screenshots of the ADC Result screen while in all four modes (AV, COMP, PC and HDMI mode)? Cycle throuh the different sources with the source button on your remote to see all four different modes (the mode used is in the first line on your screen).

I second this. I only need the one for component though as that is the one i messed up. I tried some checker pattern images from my xbox 360 but i can't seem to get a success. My specific TV model is LE32B650T2P.
post #81 of 135 Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 AM

akakisu, can you post your settings for the 4 different inputs?

mine are:

post #82 of 135 Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 AM

Here are mine. Thanks for your pics.

All i had to change was the 1st_Y_GL of COMP to your value and all works as it should now! Once again, thank you for your help.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #83 of 135 Old 10-18-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akakitsu View Post

Here are mine. Thanks for your pics.

All i had to change was the 1st_Y_GL of COMP to your value and all works as it should now! Once again, thank you for your help.

Thanks,

this was exactly what i needed!

It looks like B650 models have identical calibration settings.
post #84 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

this was exactly what i needed!

It looks like B650 models have identical calibration settings.

Did you recalibrate with the checkerboard pattern and get SUCCESS?
post #85 of 135 Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM

post #86 of 135 Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post

Some pictures for you guys.

Can anyone tell me where I can find "720p Lattice (N0. 6) pattern" please?
post #87 of 135 Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post

Some pictures for you guys.
Alright, peace! GL!

just wanted to say many thanks to nosepass2 and Mikl1984 for assistance. i like many others was stupid or rather careless (since left arrow triggering a menu item is pretty confusing) enough to accidentally trigger calibration on AV input (ln46b650 is the model). i tried different checker box images 8x8, 6x7 with different sizes sent from either blue ray player or dvd player with no luck. what actually worked is a 7x6 with top left black (res 1280x720, but i suspect other checker box images/resolutions would work fine as well) sent from a pc with s-video (regular 4-pin)+rca adapter (just google for diy schematics, i got mine from monoprice instead of soldering as i was also getting some other stuff at the same time) good luck.

the image, posted by someone else on this forum, but another thread, that worked for me hxxp://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8942/1280x720checkerboardyb7.jpg
post #88 of 135 Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM

TO ANYONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT CALIBRATING (OR WHO HAS SCREWED IT UP ALREADY):

I made the same STUPID, STUPID mistake of going in to the service screen because I simply wanted to check how many hours we've used our TV in the past 2 1/2 years. Well, this was by far, the DUMBEST THING I've ever done with an electronic piece of equipment. I was even forewarned that accessing the SERVICE menu could cause irreparable damage, and I was still cocky enough to believe that I knew what I was doing (even though I am very technologically savvy).

Let me be clear... UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAINED, CERTIFIED, EXPERIENCED TV PROGRAMMER, OR REPAIR TECHNICIAN, DO NOT SCREW AROUND IN THE SERVICE SCREEN!!! Save yourself hours of issues (and potentially a permanently busted TV)!

So what happened, is that I accidentally hit the "CALIBRATE" button (as it is the first option on the SERVICE SCREEN). The remote isn't user friendly when it comes to using the service screen - the buttons you use, don't match up to the "flow" on the TV. The TV started calibrating a frozen image from the show "COPS". I didn't know how to stop it, and didn't understand that it was completely screwing it up, until after it finished calibrating.

Anyway, my wife and I just finished spending over 10 hours working on fixing the TV since last night - and thank goodness she's one hell of a GOOGLER. Even though I found this website last night with info about the fix, it took digging further to help find the correct calibration image to fix the issue.

HERE'S THE STORY:

I have a Samsung LCD LNT-4661F, built in early 2007. Last night, after reading about the checkerboard fix, I gave it a try - NO SUCCESS.

BUT, in the end, a different way of using the checkerboard DID work, so read on (if you've made the same mistake and still need help).

As it turns out, you have to have the checkerboard image the exact same resolution of your TV. Mine was 1920x1080. I used an 8 x 8 Black & White checkerboard image, using my PS3 (using the "VIEW PHOTO" feature).

When using the checkerboard image (or any other calibrating image), MAKE SURE THERE IS NO OTHER "INFO" ON THE SCREEN (such as the little menus that show "next" or "back" or other random information). The image MUST BE completely isolated, with nothing but the full-screen 8x8 B&W checkerboard, with a native resolution equal to your TV.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO NEED THE 1920x1080 8x8, I've linked to it from my PHOTOBUCKET account, because I know how frustrating and tough it was to find it!

DOWNLOAD THE 8X8 BLACK & WHITE 1920 x 1080 HERE:

B&W 1920x1080 Calibration Picture

Where I first went wrong (using the checkerboard fix) is that I wasn't using the proper image resolution (and I think it was also associated with two, very fine lines on the left and top of the image that showed on the screen, since I was using my wife's computer with HDMI output). Point is, it wasn't isolated and the resolution wasn't correct.

Once you have confirmed you have the correct image and it is loaded FULL SCREEN somehow (PS2 / PS3 / DVD / COMPUTER, any HDMI input), carefully re-run the CALIBRATION from the service screen. Don't touch any other settings in the service screen, just the HDMI calibration! Give the calibration about 1-2 minutes to run, and then turn the TV off for at least 60 seconds. The calibration that FIXED my TV only took about 30 seconds to run. PREVIOUSLY, when I tried calibrating using different images (THX image from a DVD), and the image with the incorrect resolution, it took 5 or more minutes. If it takes that long, it's likely not calibrating correctly.

Now, I still have an issue with the CONTRAST... When I change the contrast from the main menu up and down, each "value" (between 1-100) GREATLY increases or decreases the contrast. And it "cycles", as in, a setting of 98 looks normal, but if you set it down to 93, it is nearly BLACK. But, when I go down one more to 92 it is back to SUPER bright (too bright), and so-on. It does this over and over again, every 5 or 6 values, from 1-100.

This seems to be the only issue we still have after fixing it. I think it's about 99.9% of where it was before I got completely moronic and screwed with the SERVICE SCREEN...

So, let me say it again... I highly recommend that even the "TECH SAVVY" folks NEVER play with the SERVICE SCREEN unless you absolutely know what you're doing. In fact, unless you are so qualified, that you can actually modify the settings with your eyes closed, I'd say never screw with it. I mean, I consider myself incredibly tech savvy... I build computers, component by component, install and configure massive home audio surround sound systems, can disassemble and reassemble a car, just about everything; but the first and only thing I've run into that I could NOT wrap my mind around was this calibration issue!

Everyone else who's made this same mistake knows how sickening the feeling is, believing that you may have just trashed your $3,000 TV... Trust me - it's not worth playing around with; just don't mess with it!

On another note... Thanks to everyone for their help on these forums. I'd be crying myself to sleep every night had I not come across this forum, which helped me put the pieces together on how to fix it!

-Matt & Wife!
post #89 of 135 Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 AM

Hi all i need some help i have a Samsung LE40B650 and stupud me went in to the service menu and i neet to recalabrate the HDMI and Componant inputs i have tryed using the 8X8 BLACK & WHITE 1920 x 1080 image though my xbox 360 in 1080p and 720p but it keeps comming up as failed i not sure what to do now any advise would be of great help
post #90 of 135 Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 AM

Hi again has any one got the 7x6 checkerboard image regards Anthony
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page